Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2010 4:32 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wrapped things up from the previous episode. Too many people getting their hands cut. I'm sure that would suck irl.
Jul 1, 2010 6:23 AM

Mar 2009
Aoshi got defeated so easily.
Jul 25, 2011 1:36 AM

Oct 2009
Feel sorry for the deceased. Even if we only knew them for an episode, and as villain at that, their deaths were still tragic.

Hope Aoshi finished off the asshole!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2011 1:35 PM

Jul 2010
nah, it looked like his body was still there and untouched.

Oct 23, 2011 6:17 AM
Nov 2009
guessing aoshi is the mummy looking guy
Mar 16, 2012 2:20 AM

May 2011
Fuck that ass hole, really wish kenshin went a little harder on that guy, he got off easy imo...
And that concludes this fantastic arc! I absolutely love the quality of excellence this anime never fails to bring, if only more could hold to this kind of standard.
May 2, 2012 2:45 PM

May 2011
Aoshi's rage with his clenched fists dripping blood was deep.

Pretty decent end for the rescue Megumi arc. I liked the role Sanosuke played in all of this and really hoped for a small hint of affection between the two, I guess that's not really his style though.

Kenshin seems to be a machine gun bullet-timer, awesome.
May 6, 2013 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
I watched the previous episodes(from ep 3) on my phone, away from internet, had some thoughts about them but forgot 'em. Anyways will comment on the next episodes.
As for this episode, umm yeah 5/5, nice fight scenes but could have been better. So I should have voted 4/5.
May 20, 2013 9:35 PM

Jun 2010
It's tough to buy Kenshin's kind words that the Oniwaban defeated the Gatling gun; some pompous jerk with no military or martial arts training easily killed four highly skilled and experienced warriors who flattered themselves "the strongest". He might have done even better if he had just been more observant and noticed the obstruction in the feed belt. Hyottoko and Hannya's actions amount to being willing cannon fodder. Even Pyrrhus could look askance at such a battle.

As usual, this series manages to include an interesting idea; the Oniwaban feel lost and out of place after the war though holding no grudge for being on the losing side. How is a humanistic revolutionary like Kenshin to react?

And as usual, the interesting idea is swept aside by overstated melodrama and flashy action; although at least there were no magic spells this time around.
May 22, 2014 6:11 PM

Oct 2013
Fronzel said:
It's tough to buy Kenshin's kind words that the Oniwaban defeated the Gatling gun; some pompous jerk with no military or martial arts training easily killed four highly skilled and experienced warriors who flattered themselves "the strongest".

This is, for me, important commentary on the state of modern warfare and how warfare in general has evolved from the feudal era. The skill of the swordsman was surely swept away as a more powerful object that took far less skill to operate replaced it. Of course it still takes skill to be efficient with a gun, but is it really the same?

This series has thus far poked at a multitude of interesting world issues and questions but, as you said, swept them aside in favor of "melodrama and flashy action." I wonder if it was a mere coincidence that the anime has asked questions about topics such as this or the question of abusive authority in a weapon-controlled environment, or was it just quick ideas thought up to flesh out a shounen and make it more shouneny?

Whatever the case, I liked how quickly the Oniwaban were massacred. That's the heaviest the series has gotten yet. I hope to see more of that.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 2, 2014 6:33 PM

Apr 2014
The group of people who wanted to be the 'strongest' died so easily to a gatlin gun.
Though, I honestly did not expect a gun of that power to appear so early in the anime, it was a surprise.
Jun 6, 2015 7:59 AM

Sep 2014
This episode is an interesting one.

The thing I like about it is the way it so quickly flips your perspective - the "bad guys" become the "good guys" within the space of a couple of minutes, and they demonstrate their passion for their leader by making the greatest sacrifice they could make.

Although Takeda was clearly wrong in many ways, he was also right in the sense that money is power. He demonstrated this by slaying four, battle-hardened warriors who had years of constant training in the space of a couple of minutes, simply because he had money to purchase a weapon.
Mirai, zura~!
Jun 12, 2015 5:00 PM

May 2015
Y'know, before this episode, I didn't like the baddies in the slightest, but I nearly cried several times in this ep, it was so sad when they died. ;^; But why did Aoshi say he couldn't put flowers on their graves? Also I hope he doesn't come back to try to beat Kenshin, but instead to maybe DESTROY the worthless money-sucking jerk who shot them. And maybe Kenshin wouldn't be there to stop him... :P

Though, the violence or death(shown) in these recent episodes had been a lot, more than I can say I'd like( cuz I prefer not too much graphic violence). So many hands getting cut though. XD And totally shipping Megumi and Sano, since a few episodes back. :P
Jul 10, 2015 5:27 PM

Aug 2013
I know I shouldn't ask this, but... Why didn't he used it sooner? He had like the perfect defensive weapon! But nope. Let's throw a bunch of useless guards at the door that won't even have the decency to be defeated on screen.

Anyway, I feel like the warriors gave a really poor spectacle against the gatling, but at the same time, that's pretty much what happened when the gatling appeared in Japan. The samurai became useless and fell in a matter of years. It was quite sad, really.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 16, 2016 7:21 PM

May 2013
Wow, what a great episode! I loved how the villains ended up dying in a tragic way that made them likeable. This was a great arc and I'm really enjoying this anime so far.

Oct 15, 2016 1:04 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid episode I must say with really intense action and a great ending! Looking forward to see what the next episode will bring.
Jan 4, 2017 5:37 AM

Sep 2016
How ironic that 4 skilled ninja got killed so easily by Gatling gun!
It also showed Oniwaban's awkward situation after political transition.
Feb 11, 2018 2:19 AM

Jul 2017
I liked the message, like that of Metal Gear, on the plight of veterans and such (a topic that was and is still pretty relevant). I did not like the way they carried out the fight between the Oniwaban and the gatling gun. It was just a scene of someone charging into gunfire, getting gunned down, and then a tragic death sequence over and over. I don't really understand why the whole group didn't go around through a different way or why Kenshin didn't attack the gun when the first guy got shot. Kenshin dodging bullets was a little much, beyond what I would have even expected with this. Still, the plight of Megumi and the Oniwaban was quite tragic and exciting.
Aug 11, 2019 9:05 PM

Jul 2016
That was a very close death, wouldn't say it was plot armor though, since his strategy was credible.
Nov 29, 2019 2:14 PM
Apr 2016
That was gruesome, all of them on spot died, that's just sad. This arc made my opinion of this show way better, enjoyed this.
Oct 18, 2020 8:54 PM
Oct 2019
This Megumi/Aoshi arc was boring af. The ending was super lame, too.

Dropped my rating for this series from 7/10 to 6/10.
HagePotPotatoOct 18, 2020 9:12 PM
Oct 1, 2021 7:41 PM

Aug 2018
Did Aoshi seriously not kill that guy after Kenshin left him knocked out there.... bruh

Mar 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Feb 2017
Satyrelfheim mentioned metal gear already, and yeah I totally saw the parallels too. The Oniwaban Group had many similarities to the elite forces from the MGS games; FOXHOUND, Dead Cell, Cobra Unit.

Apr 23, 2023 12:19 PM
Apr 2023
I really liked this arc, it all feels like an extended pilot.

This whole show keeps hammering on different walks of life and how they are variously affected by changes in society. Himura’s bum lifestyle is idealized over and over again while being contrasted against pretty much everyone else who appears.

this is the “formula” as i see it and is hidden beneath the action as well as beautiful scenery.

In this case both kanryu and aoshi are part of organized hierarchial societies. bodyguards protect their leader in both cases and also carry out specialized tasks.

Kenshin has forsaken this life despite having a good foot in the door to be part of the government. It is said that aoshi similarly refused government service.

Boiling it all down… the presented ideal is that the strong protect the weak personally with their own hands and not via organized efforts.

This really culls the infighting (and resulting tragedy) out of the equation on Himura’s end.

societies are usually formed to increase efficiency in fulfilling basic needs. (Eg. Agriculture) but the inbuilt weaknesses are there and it doesnt take long for often marginalized people to sleuth out the weaknesses and exploit them, often to the detriment of others.

Personally i think the ninjas would have had a better counter for ranged weapons handy (smoke bombs!). Out of the smoke a hail of shuriken, small explosives, blow darts… a grappling hook to yank the gun or a tripod leg… aoshi would have immediately ordered them to spread out and not defend him… diluting the advantage.

Their deaths were obviously a plot device and it is implied that despite their best efforts they had become decadent in their own way.

They may also have been protecting keshin’s group with their lives, seeing a mirror of their own group that they had grown to admire… which also included a brave and spirited female and juvenile male… their shame at having the reality of their own disgraced situation laid bare may have driven them to want to end their lives honorably despite having more effective means… hard to say.

Gotta remember also that japan was in recession when this came out… specializing towards automobile manufacturing and of course content creation from what was previously a very diverse manufacturing economy… i have a lot of tools and precision devices stamped “Japan” from the 50s-80s mainly… most all top notch quality! This was rapidly moving to taiwan and then the continent when kenshin was written if im not mistaken. Tldr: this was a time of economic revolution and many people were experiencing difficulties with identity, no longer needed skillsets, greed of the rich, etc!

Anyway i think thats why 90s anime is distinct and the newer stuff seems to lack depth in some ways.

Thanks a lot for reading
May 25, 2023 1:41 PM
Nov 2021
Eu não estava esperando um ep desses em Samurai X. Que isso.
Esse ep foi tenso. Muito bom.
Jul 21, 2023 7:38 PM
Aug 2018
That massacre scene was very impactful. Like seeing your only comrades getting shot one after the other, that was emotional. There's especially one shot where we see Aoshi and Shikijo next to each other in the same position, except Shikijo is dead and covered with bullets. That was awful, seeing the soulless body of your comrade just some centimeters in front of you wow.
Now we're getting in the filler I think. I'm worried, according to the preview, we're going from Kenshin fighting important clans and everything to Yahiko fighting some town bullies... 
Aug 10, 2023 7:32 PM
May 2023
A good ending for an arc. Those Oniwaban despite being a group villain, at least died with some honor at the end of the day. Aoshi should finished off that Kanryu guy to be honest.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 30 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 6, 2010

36 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 30, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 24 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 3, 2010

29 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 26, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 17 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 28, 2010

17 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 19, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 15 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 27, 2010

19 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 18, 4:30 PM

» *spoilers inside* shishio.....

Videogamecoper - Mar 13

2 by Nikolo123 »»
Mar 14, 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.