Forum Settings
Forums

What flaws do people find in mainstream anime?

New
Dec 22, 2016 6:15 PM

Feb 2016
I've seen people talk a lot shit about them but what are some flaws that make people hate them so much
Dec 22, 2016 6:16 PM

Sep 2015
The fact that they are more popular and not as good as their own favorite anime.
Dec 22, 2016 6:19 PM
Mar 2016
Salokannel2 said:
The fact that they are more popular and not as good as their own favorite anime.
Someone spoke the truth. I can sleep in peace now
Dec 22, 2016 6:27 PM

Feb 2013
Kingof1k said:
Salokannel2 said:
Someone spoke the truth. I can sleep in peace now
amen brotha. this. the quoted post is literal truht (aka QFT for knowers)

@minaroyu you should take it on a case by case basis
unless you use the real definition of mainstream, in which case it's because sazae san and chibi maruko are untranslated
Dec 22, 2016 6:34 PM

Jan 2014
simply because there's not point in watching... they're 100% predictable. i.e the shounen main character troupe... where no matter what the main character wins, even when it's like naruto vs kaguya who is basically the creator of chakra, not to say they can't be interesting, i've seen and enjoyed most of the 'mainstream' anime out there... but they are beyond predictable, it's nearly set in stone what's going to happen, just watch dbz if you want the simplest explanation of this, or naruto, kishi literally wrote the story so that he only faces people leagues ahead of him yet comes out on top undoubtedly
Dec 22, 2016 6:36 PM

Mar 2016
They aren't any better than underground anime as a whole tbh

I suppose the reason why you think people hate mainstream anime more is because they get the most attention, and will therefore receive more negative and positive reception. Mainstream anime wouldn't be mainstream if everyone hates them; you should probably just not spend so much time in groups that hate the popular things.
Aure0linDec 22, 2016 6:40 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 22, 2016 6:44 PM

Jan 2016
"It's too long for my bitch ass to watch it" FOH with that shit but yea that first nigga down there explained it perfectly,everyone would want their favorite anime to be as popular as One Piece or DBZ.
Dec 22, 2016 6:51 PM

May 2015
That's the flaw. It's mainstream...
Dec 22, 2016 6:53 PM

Jun 2015
NGE is my favorite overall and it's got quite the spotlight.
Judging a show based on popularity is not really a good thing.

Dec 22, 2016 6:54 PM

May 2015
People don't hate mainstream anime more then non-mainstream stuff. It's just mainstream stuff gets more viewers, so more people who don't like it.

anyone who hates mainstream shows for being mainstream have shitty reasons that they made up to try to dislike it without bringing anything that makes sense to the table, and should be disregarded anyways.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 22, 2016 7:01 PM

Oct 2014
Imagine that you and a coworker do the same job and just as well but he makes 10x as much as you. I'm sure you'd try to find flaws in their work and complain about how they don't deserve their salary. The same is with anime. People complain about popular things because they understand they aren't any better than unpopular things.
Dec 22, 2016 7:01 PM

Jun 2015
If more people are watching something that means that there will be more people voicing their opinion about it. People find flaws in non mainstream stuff too.
:)
Dec 23, 2016 1:28 AM

Nov 2009
> What flaws do people find in mainstream anime?

It depends on what "mainstream" means in this specific context.

1) In Japan, there is a number of really mainstream shows. You can tell they're mainstream by the fact they have stupid number of episodes. Sazae-san, Doraemon, Detective Conan, long-running battle shounens...
All of them are... too mainstream. They are exactly the kind of shows we try to avoid by not watching shows from other countries. Except made in Japan.
All of them are too bland. If you've seen a hundred episodes, these shows lose all novelty they might have had.
Those of them that have overall plot are too stretched-out. Everything people can say about anime being just an advertisement for the manga or light novel, except it's an advertisement for itself. It does not freaking end, its plotlines do not freaking end, and so on.
Those that don't have an overall plot, don't have an overall plot.
In fact, they probably don't even have continuity. A few generations of Japanese have grown up watching Doraemon, but the MC never grew up.

2) There are shows that are mainstream or popular among the anime fandom in the West.
For example, these ones: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity
You can also sort them by ratings, but ratings do not describe mainstreamness as much as number of people who have seen the show does.

These are fine shows which are reasonably good at what they do. Many of them even being "gateway" shows that attract new people to anime.
But they are by no means perfect. It's easy to find subjective and objective flaws with them. Japanese don't really care about making perfect shows all that much (see also: wabi-sabi and capitalism).
On the other hand, these shows are well-known, so it's easy to discuss them. They also make good examples (of both good and bad things).
Want some particular flaws?
1. Death Note. An author tract about not attempting to make the world a better place by murdering the shit out of it, because you will become a crazy megalomaniac. In short, it suffers from humility, a christian "virtue" I hate the most.
2. Shingeki no Kyoujin. A bloody gorefest I dropped after 1 episode.
3. Sword Art Online. I like it because it's a wish-fulfillment fantasy for people like me. People who aren't like me, or don't like being like me, hate it for the very same reason.
Also, it dropped half of the clever things that were in the novel, so it looks dumb and far-fetched to many people.
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Your garden-variety shounen anime. Just like Japan-mainstream shounen battle anime, but ends before it becomes too boring.
5. Angel Beats! Pretentious elitist bait that makes you think your own meaning into it, and think it's really clever for having that meaning. In reality, it's completely random mix of everything, from goofy comedy to tearjerker Key-style ending.
6. Code Geass. Haven't seen that one.
7. Naruto. The japan-mainstream overstretched snoozefest. Good for hooking your little brother to anime, though.
8. Steins;Gate. The kind of show Angel Beats pretends to be like. Makes you feel really clever for just surviving it.
9. Mirai Nikki. This show is the definition of edgy. The only good thing is the yandere main heroine.
10. Toradora. Masochist show starring one of the Four Tsundere Wonders. Unlike the other shows with these loli tsundere, it has no action, and no other things to distract from heroine's horribleness. Only watch it if you think she is moe.
Dec 23, 2016 2:28 AM

Nov 2014
The key for a mainstream series is its appeal to the masses. Basically it caters to MOST. Ironically that is PRECISELY its flaw.

My believe is that every individual has some sort of list to check off when determining whether they like a show (perhaps this is more conscious with critical watchers of anime but more sub-conscious for those that turn off their brain and enjoy). If a good number is checked on our "list", we enjoy it. If not, we don't.

Basically what mainstream anime seeks to do it to check the most common things in the people's lists. It could be beautiful action sequences, easy-to-follow plotline, relatable villains etc. Basically I'd say almost everyone likes a few or at least one mainstream series.

With that said, everyone also has some things in their "list" that is more specific and obscure. So I believe that people's favourite show is unlikely to be a mainstream one, but rather something that is very very specific on their list. When I mean favourite, I mean favourite by entertainment/enjoyment, which is strange for me because my favourite shows are often rated 7-8 because they often suffer from other aspects when I'm rating, like animation or impact. Basically whenever people rave about a uniqueness of a show, it's likely because they've finally found a show that ticks that obscure criteria of theirs.

Tl;dr The mainstream shows are catered to common criteria that most people have, so its flaw is basically it often doesn't cater to any of our specific criteria and hence often fall short on the lists of many. On a side note, I understand the appeal of almost all mainstream series, except Fairy Tail because it has a mess of a plot and unrealistic character development (and to top it off, it's the only series that has such a huge cast yet I don't like a single one of them, not even some obscure side character).
BurningSpiritDec 23, 2016 2:49 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 23, 2016 2:32 AM
Jul 2014
Anime romantic comedies have some really weird unrelatable cliches. Some of their attempts at being funny isn't funny.
Dec 23, 2016 2:41 AM

Dec 2015
Sometimes the story gets ruined simply because they want to please fans by giving off what they wanted to see.
Dec 23, 2016 2:49 AM

Aug 2014
flannan said:

The anime is attempting to create a realism in its own terms that is directly tied to the given specific instances of the universe build-up. It should not affect or pervade what people generally thinks of the real world, and if such is the case, I can only agree that a universe full of giant, carnivorous titans is meant to showcase a repulsive display of blood-spattering hemogoblin blits, mimetically fitting in its own universe.

5. Angel Beats! Pretentious elitist bait that makes you think your own meaning into it, and think it's really clever for having that meaning. In reality, it's completely random mix of everything, from goofy comedy to tearjerker Key-style ending.

Elitists did? The style, the cover, the first glance... all gave it away. I have to presume though, that the prospect of elitism culture is not for showcasing intelligence and cleverness. Elitism is when there is a mechanism for something to be controlled in the shadows, it is not boastful by nature, it hides from anyone's vision and you won't know you are being influenced or controlled by it. Thus, it is not generally "the elitist", but more like "group of elites". As much as charismatic an elitist is, it is not the nature of elitism to be showing itself in clearest view by others. I personally doubt Angel Beats garnered that effect to some extent.

7. Naruto. The japan-mainstream overstretched snoozefest. Good for hooking your little brother to anime, though.

Naruto is good. The first one, really.

...................................................................................................
Dec 23, 2016 3:10 AM

Nov 2009
Haeduans said:
flannan said:

The anime is attempting to create a realism in its own terms that is directly tied to the given specific instances of the universe build-up. It should not affect or pervade what people generally thinks of the real world, and if such is the case, I can only agree that a universe full of giant, carnivorous titans is meant to showcase a repulsive display of blood-spattering hemogoblin blits, mimetically fitting in its own universe.

Elitists did? The style, the cover, the first glance... all gave it away. I have to presume though, that the prospect of elitism culture is not for showcasing intelligence and cleverness. Elitism is when there is a mechanism for something to be controlled in the shadows, it is not boastful by nature, it hides from anyone's vision and you won't know you are being influenced or controlled by it. Thus, it is not generally "the elitist", but more like "group of elites". As much as charismatic an elitist is, it is not the nature of elitism to be showing itself in clearest view by others. I personally doubt Angel Beats garnered that effect to some extent.

...................................................................................................

Clarification: personally, I did enjoy SAO, Angel Beats, Steins;Gate and Toradora. And semi-enjoyed most of the others on the list. I spoke of their flaws on purpose.

2. Shingeki no Kyoujin. Realism is a flaw on its own. Especially when it's a "lots of people die horribly, and you cannot do anything about it except dropping the anime" kind of realism.

5. Angel Beats. I feel you did not understand me.
Here, "elitist" means "the kind of fan who likes to feel superior to other people by consuming classy media".
And "bait" means that the show is intended to attract these elitist types of fan.

7. Naruto was good. For the first 24 episodes. Well, maybe 48 episodes or even 100 episodes. But at 300+ episodes and some filler hell, my patience ran out, and I decided I'm not watching it anymore.
Dec 23, 2016 3:12 AM
Feb 2016
none because all mainstream anime are completely flawless
Dec 23, 2016 3:15 AM

Nov 2014
Haeduans said:
SnK

Angel Beats

Naruto:

With regards about SnK, I think what Flannan meant is it's not about the realism within that universe itself. He's simply expressing that he doesn't particularly like the excessive use of gore as a means of creating tension. It's less talking about the show, but what was the intent of even making a story like that is the first place, to appeal to individuals that like the suspense and tension created by gore (taken to the extreme) and he doesn't like that.

Talking about Angel Beats, I agree with you about elitism. But I have to say I agree with Flannan that people often over-interpretate Angel Beats.

Naruto... I enjoyed it when I watched it way back, but if you were to ask me to get into it now, I wouldn't be able to. The beginning of long running shounen are unbearable for many of the people who watch shorter series (or at least me), sure when it eventually comes together it'll be great, but 100+ epsisodes of set-up to the final conclusion is painful. Same with One Piece for me which I got into way back. Yet now I'm completely unable to get into Bleach, it's painful. Tastes change over time and are shaped by the series we watched.

BTW if you haven't read my posts above, reading it might give you a better context of what I mean and my view of tastes.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 23, 2016 3:43 AM

Dec 2014
BurningSpirit said:

Naruto... I enjoyed it when I watched it way back, but if you were to ask me to get into it now, I wouldn't be able to. The beginning of long running shounen are unbearable for many of the people who watch shorter series (or at least me), sure when it eventually comes together it'll be great, but 100+ epsisodes of set-up to the final conclusion is painful.

B-but those first episodes are the only thing worth watching in the entirety of Naruto. I remember it being really good until the end of the Naruto Bridge arc.

OT: They just end having lots of flaws (like paper cut generic tropes as characters, predictable storylines, solving far too many situations with Deus Ex Machina, having convoluted plots that end up unresolved, etc.) because they try to appeal to everybody, and that just doesn't work.

The biggest flaw comes when it actually sells because of that, though. I'm talking of shows being extended to no end without reason. The 1 episode per manga chapter of One Piece is probably the worst offender, with close to nothing of value on a lot of episodes (at least until I dropped it, idk about now).

Of course I'm assuming you mean the famous long running shonens, and probably some LN adaptations, because some of the most popular anime are actually a lot more praised than hated (Ex. Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, Steins Gate, TTGL). Even those you are thinking of are probably more praised than hated, it's just that there is always a vocal minority bashing every single thing in the world and it's most noticeable on popular stuff.
Dec 23, 2016 3:49 AM

Oct 2013
BurningSpirit said:
The key for a mainstream series is its appeal to the masses. Basically it caters to MOST. Ironically that is PRECISELY its flaw.

My believe is that every individual has some sort of list to check off when determining whether they like a show (perhaps this is more conscious with critical watchers of anime but more sub-conscious for those that turn off their brain and enjoy). If a good number is checked on our "list", we enjoy it. If not, we don't.

Basically what mainstream anime seeks to do it to check the most common things in the people's lists. It could be beautiful action sequences, easy-to-follow plotline, relatable villains etc. Basically I'd say almost everyone likes a few or at least one mainstream series.

With that said, everyone also has some things in their "list" that is more specific and obscure. So I believe that people's favourite show is unlikely to be a mainstream one, but rather something that is very very specific on their list. When I mean favourite, I mean favourite by entertainment/enjoyment, which is strange for me because my favourite shows are often rated 7-8 because they often suffer from other aspects when I'm rating, like animation or impact. Basically whenever people rave about a uniqueness of a show, it's likely because they've finally found a show that ticks that obscure criteria of theirs.

Tl;dr The mainstream shows are catered to common criteria that most people have, so its flaw is basically it often doesn't cater to any of our specific criteria and hence often fall short on the lists of many. On a side note, I understand the appeal of almost all mainstream series, except Fairy Tail because it has a mess of a plot and unrealistic character development (and to top it off, it's the only series that has such a huge cast yet I don't like a single one of them, not even some obscure side character).

Correction minority, not many.

I agree with some of your point, like easy to follow plotline and great action sequence is things a mainstream anime must have to get a huge appeal, though, I don't believe easy to follow plot line doesn't mean the plot can't be good. Actually trying to make your plot co plicated is what fail a lot of series, because some author can't execute it well.

But this is just a part of it, you can't really just generalize all mainstream anime into this one category, I personaly believe for a anime to become mainstream it must have something that feels fresh or unique to the audience.

Because there is tons of series with great visuals and action scene and thet don't become mainstream.

Basically what mainstream anime seeks to do it to check the most common things in the people's lists

Honestly though, I disagree with some part there, who wouldn't want a anime to have great visuals or a relatable villains? honestly, this is not something that should not be looked at as something negative, its easier said than done, and author would like all those stuff to appeal to the audience, but it doesn't mean the audience will like it.

Tldr, basically for me, I see most mainstream anime having something unique to them, that make them get more recognition than other anime.

Author that makes battle harem fantasy series, tries to tick all the box but fails miserable, and one of the main reason for that is because their series is generic, they don't have any identity to them, to become a mainstream anime the author first need to come up with something fresh that feels new.

Look at kabaneri for eg, it ticks all the box for a anime to become mainstream, but it couldn't because the mainstream crowd has already seen something that is similar to it, which is snk, and that proves that to get mainstream appeal, you need something that is fresh.

Having a big appeal, while having a unique feel to it, is the formula to become a mainstream anime, most of the time.
keragammingDec 23, 2016 3:55 AM
Dec 23, 2016 3:56 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Look at kabaneri for e.g., it ticks all the box for a anime to become mainstream, but it couldn't because the mainstream crowd has already seen something that is similar to it, which is snk, and that proves that to get mainstream appeal, you need something that is fresh.
Isn't Clannad main stream?
how do you explain that when we had Kanon 2006 a year before that and Air a year even before that?
Dec 23, 2016 4:22 AM

Nov 2014
keragamming said:
Correction minority, not many.

I agree with some of your point, like easy to follow plotline and great action sequence is things a mainstream anime must have to get a huge appeal, though, I don't believe easy to follow plot line doesn't mean the plot can't be good. Actually trying to make your plot co plicated is what fail a lot of series, because some author can't execute it well.

But this is just a part of it, you can't really just generalize all mainstream anime into this one category, I personaly believe for a anime to become mainstream it must have something that feels fresh or unique to the audience.

Because there is tons of series with great visuals and action scene and thet don't become mainstream.

Basically what mainstream anime seeks to do it to check the most common things in the people's lists

Honestly though, I disagree with some part there, who wouldn't want a anime to have great visuals or a relatable villains? honestly, this is not something that should not be looked at as something negative, its easier said than done, and author would like all those stuff to appeal to the audience, but it doesn't mean the audience will like it.

Tldr, basically for me, I see most mainstream anime having something unique to them, that make them get more recognition than other anime.

Author that makes battle harem fantasy series, tries to tick all the box but fails miserable, and one of the main reason for that is because their series is generic, they don't have any identity to them, to become a mainstream anime the author first need to come up with something fresh that feels new.

Look at kabaneri for eg, it ticks all the box for a anime to become mainstream, but it couldn't because the mainstream crowd has already seen something that is similar to it, which is snk, and that proves that to get mainstream appeal, you need something that is fresh.

Having a big appeal, while having a unique feel to it, is the formula to become a mainstream anime, most of the time.

It'd say some of the mainstreamness of a show comes down to having a lucky draw on the hype train, then ticking the boxes of enough people to share it with many people. For anime, it also has to tick the box of being able to reach out of the anime community to become mainstream mainstream (rather than just anime community mainstream)

I personaly believe for a anime to become mainstream it must have something that feels fresh or unique to the audience.
But what is unique and fresh is dependent on what we've seen before.

Look at kabaneri for eg, it ticks all the box for a anime to become mainstream, but it couldn't because the mainstream crowd has already seen something that is similar to it
Bringing this argument forward because it follows up well from my previous point. A criteria for a person changes over time and as they watch a series. A perception of a show being "generic" is simply because they take note of that characteristic so often that it often enters a list of things we hate/are indifferent towards (even if we liked them in the first place). The problem of Kabaneri is exactly that, it tries to catch on the trend and check the same boxes that SnK checked, which leads to it being dismissed as generic.

who wouldn't want a anime to have great visuals or a relatable villains? honestly, this is not something that should not be looked at as something negative
Sure, we ALL would want that, but for some people it isn't a requirement. It would make me enjoy a show more, but perhaps not as much as other people. I much prefer a character to be likable (though yes, a relatable villain could tick that box). I'm not sure why you think I meant them as a negative, these are simply characteristics of a show, whether or not it checks a box in the positive or negative list is really about the person watching a show

It's mostly a matter of which anime a viewer sees first when it comes to "unique". If a show that aired later blew up in popularity, then lots of recommendations linked people to an earlier similar anime, it'd bet you the later series would be more "mainstream" than the earlier one. It's like when Oreo ripped off Hydrox, but people thought Hydrox was a ripoff and well.... you don't find Hydrox on the shelf anymore.

Similar characters can be completely different. Characters in a harem series are extremely important. The problem is that writers have likely been influenced by anime enough that their fantasy of the "perfect girls" already exist in anime. They aren't writing characters that happen to fall within a trope anymore, they are writing a character based on a trope.
BurningSpiritDec 23, 2016 4:29 AM

My MAL Interview
Dec 23, 2016 6:36 AM

Oct 2013
Deknijff said:
keragamming said:
Look at kabaneri for e.g., it ticks all the box for a anime to become mainstream, but it couldn't because the mainstream crowd has already seen something that is similar to it, which is snk, and that proves that to get mainstream appeal, you need something that is fresh.
how do you explain that when we had Kanon 2006 a year before that and Air a year even before that?

Kannon wasn't mainstream, that's the difference. Not to mention clannad started a few month after kannon ended.

@BurningSpirit Point taken.
keragammingDec 23, 2016 6:40 AM
Dec 23, 2016 6:47 AM

Jun 2015
they dont end when they are meant to.
Dec 23, 2016 6:50 AM

Nov 2014
benjawanksta said:

B-but those first episodes are the only thing worth watching in the entirety of Naruto. I remember it being really good until the end of the Naruto Bridge arc.

I actually quite like the first arc, but often when talking about a long running series like Naruto, it's not just the first arc that I'd consider the beginning, I'm talking all the way until the climax of the show.

:)
Also I didn't know editing a person's name in after posting still notifies them. Good to know.

My MAL Interview
Dec 23, 2016 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
Tarotist said:
That's the flaw. It's mainstream...
Nunnally03 said:
Sometimes the story gets ruined simply because they want to please fans by giving off what they wanted to see.

^There is the answer to your question, OP. You're welcome.
Dec 23, 2016 8:06 AM

Aug 2014

Yes, that was indeed truly interesting, a theory on imaginary checkbox that I can tick, I'll really contemplate on it later when I have the time. :) On another note, I agree with that short answer - "... its flaw is basically it often doesn't cater to any of our specific criteria and hence often fall short on the lists of many" but I find myself taking this habit of putting things into a more conceptual approach so I took the time write a wall-of-text down below. Read at your own discretion. (Flannan as well if he thinks it warrants the use of his precious time)

First, let me elaborate my reasons as to why the first episode of SnK is I personally believe, not posing that much of a problematic flaw as a mainstream series. As you have stated earlier, Flannan generally frowns upon the usage of gore and violence in creating a tension for the plot story. He spoke of his enumerations as easy examples of good and bad things, so I have to assume that he dropped SnK to show a particularly bad example of a flaw a mainstream series "seems or is inclined to possess". The question I am more preferred to entertain at this point is whether the viewers really see the gore as the main catalyst for its growing popularity. Take for example, Texhnolyze, in the first few episodes or so, we can actually see the character losing his arms and legs from a sword cut, and as one of the commentors here in MAL have substantiated (masterofgo?) that kind of portrayal of violence and gore is very unusual and unique as it captures the concept of pain so vividly that it reverberates to the back of one's mind. I am sure that there are other examples of this gory vibe (eg. Ao no Exorcist, Claymore, Clannad) but let us first limit the comparison to these two: Texhnolyze and SnK. I would also like to introduce three concepts that are very much popular as a sufficient citerion to theory choice: accuracy, consistency, and simplicity. Simplicity as Acquinas wrote,

If a thing can be done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments where one suffices.

In this regard, we find SnK to be needing to employ this same strategy all over again and again, showing the viewers numerous deaths and other fatalities, while Texhnolyze can be argued to only have sufficiently provided an extreme gory moment just once; from there everything is supposed to follow smoothly. It does not need to repeat those instances, it is simple in its purpose and execution.

#1) Mainstream anime like SnK does not employ the use of simplicity criterion; the overall repeated instances of gore and violence that needs to be spread all throughout the series proves to strengthen a weakness that is embedded on it: that "something" has to be properly maintained and given sufficient exposure. Mainstream anime is not simple, by all means.

This simplicity criterion can be extended to other mainstream anime culture, such as battle shounen, by which DBZ comes to mind first. As much as people wanted to stress the formulaic property of the mainstream to be one of its delibitating qualities, it can also be equated as the MAINSTREAM NOT HAVING THE CAPACITY TO BE SIMPLE. The tournaments, the battles, the never-ending match-ups, they are all there being incessantly repeated because there is this some sort of moral lesson/message/revelation which cannot be conveyed and touched to the core without the power of repetition. Hardwork, a common theme to shounen anime, can be rendered simple in the surface, and yet one cannot hope to beautifully carve a story of it that was done in just 2-3 episodes. It is not simple, visually or mimetically, and the fact that the mainstream further promulgates these kind of thematic underpinnings ardently touches the hearts of the viewers.

While it can be said that repetition does not always equate to non-simplicity, but of mediocrity and lacking-ness of the plot itself, this assumption is dangerous as it can lead to assertations that two separate individual bodies/thoughts/ideas have the capacity on its own to produce a meaningful presence even when disjointed from one another. Consistency or correlation, (can have different meanings regarding to context) the idea according to which we only have access to correlation between object 1 and object 2, and never to either term considered apart from the other.

Quote: "It's less talking about the show, but what was the intent of even making a story like that is in the first place, to appeal to individuals that like the suspense and tension created by gore and he doesn't like that."

I understand that it is Flannan's personal matters to abhor it, but I believe what we are talking about here is the viability of such gore as to be considered a flaw that is inherently shared among mainstream anime. The question or inquiry I would like to entertain here is "to what extent, does this gore becomes a flaw?" By employing the consistency criterion, I will try to contemplate whether there really is a meaningful basis for such proposition, and on what grounds are they being created or misconceived.

This time, we will take Bleach as an example. There is this one immutable fact that SnK let their viewers see a Titan biting to death a helpless person, while Bleach's hollow-ful universe choose to only imply that they are capable of doing the same feat to wandering souls, nevertheless they were never explicitly shown under normal [plot] circumstances. Nevertheless, the mainstream presumably attracting its audience with blood-splattering antics will only gain considerable value or interest it it fits and is "consistent" with the world-building. To illustrate the consistency criterion, in Bleach there is a hollow (bad soul), and a good soul. Realistically, we will never be able to make sense of what these hollows are by-themselves, and so is the same for the wandering good-natured souls that Ichigo was able to see with a materialized body. We can say that the connection between the two will only be made indentifiable by gore, as the latter will decidedly become meals for the Hollows. All in all, the definite thing is that we have access to either of the subjects being compared with each other and that we know that it is a failed mimesis or mimicry. There are no Hollows in real world, and our concept of good souls may not fit as what is being provided to us by Bleach, nevertheless we sympathize and we pretend that we can relate to them.

#2) Mainstream anime is a failure at mimesis. Assuming coherentism's feasibiliity, there's no real access to all the ideas or entities an anime series provides to us. The mainstream ones are much susceptible to this criterion and as such needed to devise an instrument that will help bridge the gap to the constitutive subjects. The gore is the answer.

The gore may initially be seen as a flaw in that anime producers use it as an advertising tactic to promote the anime series as cool, edgy and stuffs, meanwhile it augments the mimetic failure of anime in general in respect to realism. The more mainstream ones tend to be more "unrealistic" that people should start rolling their heads as "who cares if an android gets killed, duh it's not a real human" but surprisingly the blood from the gore and the pain that accompanies with it makes almost everyone dismiss the idea of a synthetic build-up of an entity and choose to symphatize with it because of the blood splattered by gory actions. It shows then that in SnK, the gore has almost very little to no relevance (atleast in mimetic buildup) as it does not need to emphasize further the contained realism where real humans are the one being put into onslaught by a more oppressive living species. Terraformars as well. Regardless of how strong an anime character is, once he bleeds, once he was beheaded, once the agonizing pain of splattering blood entered the scene, thats where the mimetic aspect of anime comes back onto itself. That's the time where they cam become truly relatable (see phenomenological theories), that's the time where they can be made vulnerable that your heart reaches out to them as if to internally cry from the inside. Otherwise, I don't care if Orochimaru was to get beat by someone 500x a day...when Tsunade's curse was passed onto him and during that shower scene (not really a good one) was the only time I felt that he is is till a living being contained in the fabric of realism that we pretend to objectively know.

On the third criterion - accuracy, I'm feeling really lazy now, I would rather not continue as it's already this long. The point is, it has something to do with spatio-temporal notions on what we deem as accurate, and for mainstream anime I believe it has some interesting repercussions I am currently thinking of, but will probably not force it out of my mind for the next few hours. I apologize if this post is a little bit crazy and long, but this's definitely one way of contemplating and philosophizing things, to write up all of them event though it might not make sense, isn't it?
Dec 23, 2016 8:07 AM

Apr 2015
The bandwagon makes MAL Top anime score LESS OBJECTIVE and recommendations LESS RELIABLE.
Dec 23, 2016 5:06 PM

Nov 2014
Haeduans said:
Yes, that was indeed truly interesting, a theory on imaginary checkbox that I can tick, I'll really contemplate on it later when I have the time. :) On another note, I agree with that short answer - "... its flaw is basically it often doesn't cater to any of our specific criteria and hence often fall short on the lists of many" but I find myself taking this habit of putting things into a more conceptual approach so I took the time write a wall-of-text down below. Read at your own discretion. (Flannan as well if he thinks it warrants the use of his precious time)

First, let me elaborate my reasons as to why the first episode of SnK is I personally believe, not posing that much of a problematic flaw as a mainstream series. As you have stated earlier, Flannan generally frowns upon the usage of gore and violence in creating a tension for the plot story. He spoke of his enumerations as easy examples of good and bad things, so I have to assume that he dropped SnK to show a particularly bad example of a flaw a mainstream series "seems or is inclined to possess". The question I am more preferred to entertain at this point is whether the viewers really see the gore as the main catalyst for its growing popularity. Take for example, Texhnolyze, in the first few episodes or so, we can actually see the character losing his arms and legs from a sword cut, and as one of the commentors here in MAL have substantiated (masterofgo?) that kind of portrayal of violence and gore is very unusual and unique as it captures the concept of pain so vividly that it reverberates to the back of one's mind. I am sure that there are other examples of this gory vibe (eg. Ao no Exorcist, Claymore, Clannad) but let us first limit the comparison to these two: Texhnolyze and SnK. I would also like to introduce three concepts that are very much popular as a sufficient citerion to theory choice: accuracy, consistency, and simplicity. Simplicity as Acquinas wrote,

If a thing can be done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments where one suffices.

In this regard, we find SnK to be needing to employ this same strategy all over again and again, showing the viewers numerous deaths and other fatalities, while Texhnolyze can be argued to only have sufficiently provided an extreme gory moment just once; from there everything is supposed to follow smoothly. It does not need to repeat those instances, it is simple in its purpose and execution.

#1) Mainstream anime like SnK does not employ the use of simplicity criterion; the overall repeated instances of gore and violence that needs to be spread all throughout the series proves to strengthen a weakness that is embedded on it: that "something" has to be properly maintained and given sufficient exposure. Mainstream anime is not simple, by all means.

This simplicity criterion can be extended to other mainstream anime culture, such as battle shounen, by which DBZ comes to mind first. As much as people wanted to stress the formulaic property of the mainstream to be one of its delibitating qualities, it can also be equated as the MAINSTREAM NOT HAVING THE CAPACITY TO BE SIMPLE. The tournaments, the battles, the never-ending match-ups, they are all there being incessantly repeated because there is this some sort of moral lesson/message/revelation which cannot be conveyed and touched to the core without the power of repetition. Hardwork, a common theme to shounen anime, can be rendered simple in the surface, and yet one cannot hope to beautifully carve a story of it that was done in just 2-3 episodes. It is not simple, visually or mimetically, and the fact that the mainstream further promulgates these kind of thematic underpinnings ardently touches the hearts of the viewers.

While it can be said that repetition does not always equate to non-simplicity, but of mediocrity and lacking-ness of the plot itself, this assumption is dangerous as it can lead to assertations that two separate individual bodies/thoughts/ideas have the capacity on its own to produce a meaningful presence even when disjointed from one another. Consistency or correlation, (can have different meanings regarding to context) the idea according to which we only have access to correlation between object 1 and object 2, and never to either term considered apart from the other.

Quote: "It's less talking about the show, but what was the intent of even making a story like that is in the first place, to appeal to individuals that like the suspense and tension created by gore and he doesn't like that."

I understand that it is Flannan's personal matters to abhor it, but I believe what we are talking about here is the viability of such gore as to be considered a flaw that is inherently shared among mainstream anime. The question or inquiry I would like to entertain here is "to what extent, does this gore becomes a flaw?" By employing the consistency criterion, I will try to contemplate whether there really is a meaningful basis for such proposition, and on what grounds are they being created or misconceived.

This time, we will take Bleach as an example. There is this one immutable fact that SnK let their viewers see a Titan biting to death a helpless person, while Bleach's hollow-ful universe choose to only imply that they are capable of doing the same feat to wandering souls, nevertheless they were never explicitly shown under normal [plot] circumstances. Nevertheless, the mainstream presumably attracting its audience with blood-splattering antics will only gain considerable value or interest it it fits and is "consistent" with the world-building. To illustrate the consistency criterion, in Bleach there is a hollow (bad soul), and a good soul. Realistically, we will never be able to make sense of what these hollows are by-themselves, and so is the same for the wandering good-natured souls that Ichigo was able to see with a materialized body. We can say that the connection between the two will only be made indentifiable by gore, as the latter will decidedly become meals for the Hollows. All in all, the definite thing is that we have access to either of the subjects being compared with each other and that we know that it is a failed mimesis or mimicry. There are no Hollows in real world, and our concept of good souls may not fit as what is being provided to us by Bleach, nevertheless we sympathize and we pretend that we can relate to them.

#2) Mainstream anime is a failure at mimesis. Assuming coherentism's feasibiliity, there's no real access to all the ideas or entities an anime series provides to us. The mainstream ones are much susceptible to this criterion and as such needed to devise an instrument that will help bridge the gap to the constitutive subjects. The gore is the answer.

The gore may initially be seen as a flaw in that anime producers use it as an advertising tactic to promote the anime series as cool, edgy and stuffs, meanwhile it augments the mimetic failure of anime in general in respect to realism. The more mainstream ones tend to be more "unrealistic" that people should start rolling their heads as "who cares if an android gets killed, duh it's not a real human" but surprisingly the blood from the gore and the pain that accompanies with it makes almost everyone dismiss the idea of a synthetic build-up of an entity and choose to symphatize with it because of the blood splattered by gory actions. It shows then that in SnK, the gore has almost very little to no relevance (atleast in mimetic buildup) as it does not need to emphasize further the contained realism where real humans are the one being put into onslaught by a more oppressive living species. Terraformars as well. Regardless of how strong an anime character is, once he bleeds, once he was beheaded, once the agonizing pain of splattering blood entered the scene, thats where the mimetic aspect of anime comes back onto itself. That's the time where they cam become truly relatable (see phenomenological theories), that's the time where they can be made vulnerable that your heart reaches out to them as if to internally cry from the inside. Otherwise, I don't care if Orochimaru was to get beat by someone 500x a day...when Tsunade's curse was passed onto him and during that shower scene (not really a good one) was the only time I felt that he is is till a living being contained in the fabric of realism that we pretend to objectively know.

On the third criterion - accuracy, I'm feeling really lazy now, I would rather not continue as it's already this long. The point is, it has something to do with spatio-temporal notions on what we deem as accurate, and for mainstream anime I believe it has some interesting repercussions I am currently thinking of, but will probably not force it out of my mind for the next few hours. I apologize if this post is a little bit crazy and long, but this's definitely one way of contemplating and philosophizing things, to write up all of them event though it might not make sense, isn't it?

"First, let me elaborate my reasons as to why the first episode of SnK is I personally believe, not posing that much of a problematic flaw as a mainstream series.'
I was mostly talking about SnK and the first episode in general in my previous post and it was less about what I thought, but more of a justification of why someone might not like it. On the other hand, I personally enjoyed and found the first episode to be highly impactful. It was example of gore translating well into emotional impact. There was truly a sense of danger, a real fear of death for the main character. My problem with the show comes later on (especially that middle part
That same level of concern and suspense was no longer there for me, partly in due to the presence of increasingly evident plot armour that the main character has, aka Mikasa.

"The question I am more preferred to entertain at this point is whether the viewers really see the gore as the main catalyst for its growing popularity."
Erm... no it isn't, at least I don't think so. I'm almost certain this isn't the case for the popularity of this anime. Maybe a possible catalyst for the success of the manga before the anime, but not the anime itself. I believe what propelled SnK into the mainstream spotlight far beyond just the anime community alone is the hype train, the opening, trailer and it's lack of general "weirdness" commonly found in the anime. The hype train is the usual way most anime find itself mainstream within the anime community, people talk about it. The opening and trailers were good, it creates the hype in the first place and makes it easy to recommend. The lack of anime weirdness made it able to reverberate outside the anime community.

"Mainstream anime like SnK does not employ the use of simplicity criterion; the overall repeated instances of gore and violence that needs to be spread all throughout the series proves to strengthen a weakness that is embedded on it: that "something" has to be properly maintained and given sufficient exposure. Mainstream anime is not simple, by all means.'
I don't think I ever said mainstream anime are simple. I said "easy-to-follow plot", which doesn't exactly mean simple, but more of "it already has common elements to something we are familiar with", just like action shounen has a lot in common with action shows that Hollywood puts out.

"#2"
Generally agree here, gore beings out pain, which in turn creates a sense of understanding of the viewer side. But with regards to SnK, it failed to achieve that in the middle segment of the show for me.

"The point is, it has something to do with spatio-temporal notions on what we deem as accurate"
You mean what we would deem as realistic? Not much elaboration so I'm not to sure if that's what you mean. But if that's what you mean, I would like to point out to the bullshit "friendship power" infamous with action battle shounen. My point is people couldn't care less about the accuracy you are talking about.

My MAL Interview
Dec 24, 2016 1:25 PM

Apr 2016
Deknijff said:
keragamming said:

Ofcourse it is mainstream, it has its german dub, and is avialable on Amazonprime. Sounds mainstream enough to me.
Dec 24, 2016 1:35 PM

Jan 2010
As I see it, mainstream anime appeal to a broad audience that paradoxically has specific tastes and expectations. When looking at mainstream anime as a whole, cliches, tropes, trends and patterns arise due to their similar intents at targeting the largest demographics possible while still retaining the comedic, action-oriented, energetic and approachable feeling that you wouldn't be able to find in, say, a slice-of-life drama or something artistic/experimental. That generalizing umbrella term of mainstream, as such, tries to categorize all titles with a perceived level of popularity with a general audience, dedicated anime fans or otherwise, and group them together with both unifying traits and qualities, as well as their faults and drawbacks.

From there, you also have feelings of one's favorite, lesser known titles being overshadowed by something of perceived lesser quality, the exhaustion of hearing about popular titles so often, a dislike of the genres and tones associated with the mainstream, and so on.

Now, if you're talking about specific titles, that starts getting nitpicky.
Dec 24, 2016 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
Their only flaw is that they are popular, so that the contrarian spirit rises up in some and makes them denounce everything about them and the people who advocate it like the dogs they are.
Dec 24, 2016 2:56 PM

Apr 2012
The long and short of it is that a good number of people will always hate anything and everything that receives too much attention.
Dec 24, 2016 3:00 PM

Nov 2016
I guess because alot of them have over a hundred episodes so people just assume that they get boring at some point. Therefore, when they're watching it, they simply await an episode which is a filler or simply doesn't have much happening in it and then gloat about how they 'knew this anime would be awful' and so on so forth.
Dec 24, 2016 3:00 PM

Aug 2016
I hate the people who obsess over every minute feature of mainstream anime more than I hate the anime themselves.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Dec 24, 2016 6:44 PM
Jul 2012
those people were prolly just hipsters homie
Dec 24, 2016 7:19 PM

Dec 2012
In my experience popularity has absolutely nothing to do with something being good or not. There are popular shows that I don't like and unpopular shows I love, so thinking they are synonymous is incorrect.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 24, 2016 8:03 PM
Jan 2014
I don't think there really is "mainstream anime" outside of maybe DBZ, so you'll have to be a bit more clear about what you're actually talking about.
Dec 24, 2016 9:32 PM

Mar 2016
Mainstream anime are good to turn people liked anime much more and turn off the negative things about anime itself. Most of us must liked anime because watching the chillhood anime like naruto, pokemon, digimon, doraemon, etc.
And if everyone has asked about their first watched anime, the majority answers is must the mainstream anime

For your question, it may because of predictable plot,boring MC etc.
But please don't hate it. A casuals is much more in this planet than people who watched many variety of anime. Same goes with games, music, or softwere

The people who hates the mainstream anime is ELITLISM

Dec 24, 2016 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
I think most are popular because even not anime fans (or like some people calls them, ''normies'') can enjoy them, so usually those animes have amazing art quality and aesthetics that captures their attention, but the show is full of clichés, bad comedy and action that people find funny and original because they aren't into anime. Some examples are OPM and SAO.
People who are into anime hate maintream shows for multiple reasons. One of them, like someone said, is that they are more popular than their favs, and I can understand it, because I usually don't find popular shows as good as some of the favorite animes people have there, I sometimes think they don't deserve that amount of attention. Anyway, I don't think that's a reason to hate something.
Other reason can be that you don't like ecchi/action/comedy like these shows are, or you know it's bad and cliché, and you keep seeing people who have watched like 6 shows saying that it's the best anime in the world in every place you enter and it's seriously annoying.
Some people just pretend they hate it even if they liked it to look cool and edgy, you know.
Personally I don't hate mainstream anime, but yeah, I dislike it.
23 ♀ | ES/ENG

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by Piromysl »»
1 minute ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

22 by Rhaelynne »»
2 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

58 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 27 minutes ago

3 by KittenCuddler »»
13 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

27 by Shizuna »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.