Forum Settings
Forums

Is it bad or uncultured to not really care for or have an interest in popular anime?

New
Dec 22, 2016 2:16 PM
Apr 2014
I don't mean to come off as some kind of anime hipster or anything but I just don't really like popular anime. Am I the only one? I like a lot of offbeat and SOL type stuff personally. Again not trying to be a hipster or some such but still.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2016 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
What even is the so called popular or mainstream anime, what even makes one...

I dunno some of my favs seem to be unpopular (so ra no wo to, tatami galaxy, cross game) some seem to be really popular...

I really don't care.

Edit: like whatever you like, really it is not pretensions to not like more popular stuff, tho it is kinda hipster-ish to not like something because it is popular.
removed-userDec 22, 2016 2:34 PM
Dec 22, 2016 2:25 PM
Dec 2015
It's not that really a bad thing if you have tried these anime and can give valid reasoning as to why you don't like them. Checking out your list though, there isn't anything particularly popular which you rated low. Anything you rated below a 6, a score which I and most would consider to be bad, is fairly unknown. The only somewhat popular thing you seem to outright hate is Higurashi, which I'd love to question you on since I loved the show, but other than that there isn't much.
Dec 22, 2016 2:25 PM

May 2016
Categories such as 'popular', 'edgy', 'offbeat', 'SOL', or even 'art' are not mutually exclusive; anime is anime regardless of what associative properties cultural fiat might wish to apply to it.
Dec 22, 2016 2:27 PM

Jun 2014
You should just like what you like and there is no problem with that. Though, I have cringed at some people's reasonings for avoiding popular anime. I remember talking to a guy over PSN that had well under 50 completions and he was saying: "Lol, Popular anime. I like to watch the hardcore stuff because I'm hardcore. That shit is to popular for me"

It was pretty stupid.
KagamiDec 22, 2016 2:31 PM
Dec 22, 2016 2:28 PM

Jan 2016
It ain't honestly nothing wrong with not liking popular anime but who fuckn cares lmao?You're the one missing out not us.

Aug 2009
YumiLovesMe said:
I don't mean to come off as some kind of anime hipster or anything but I just don't really like popular anime. Am I the only one? I like a lot of offbeat and SOL type stuff personally. Again not trying to be a hipster or some such but still.

Different strokes for different folks. Everybody has different tastes in anime. So the answer to the thread question is no.
Dec 2015
Darek said:

I dunno some of my favs seem to be unpopular (so ra no wo to, tatami galaxy, cross game) some seem to be really popular...

I really don't care.
I'd argue that Tatami Galaxy is pretty popular. It's rated the 52nd most popular show on this site and is critically acclaimed. Hearing that someone else knows about and loves So Ra No Wo To makes me really happy though. It's one of the best Slice of Life shows out there but almost no one knows about it. The only similar show which I think is better than it is K-ON, but that's kind of hard to beat and it comes fairly close for me.
Dec 22, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2016
Yes, you are the only one, its also very uncommon that people dont like popular anime(and tell others about it).

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 22, 2016 2:32 PM

Oct 2014
this kind of uninterest for all popular anime seems like watching different for the heck of it
popular anime have as variety in genres and quality as anything else
Dec 22, 2016 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
GamerUnglued said:
Darek said:

I really don't care.
I'd argue that Tatami Galaxy is pretty popular. It's rated the 52nd most popular show on this site and is critically acclaimed. Hearing that someone else knows about and loves So Ra No Wo To makes me really happy though. It's one of the best Slice of Life shows out there but almost no one knows about it. The only similar show which I think is better than it is K-ON, but that's kind of hard to beat and it comes fairly close for me.

I feel the opposite tho I haven't finished K-on (the second season) yet, had it on hold for a while... Also so far aria beats K-on for me as well XD.

Well the tatami galaxy seems quite known. Popularity is hard to measure really...

also crap I forgot to answer OP's question.... gotta edit that first post of mine.
Dec 22, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2013
Nope. Just do as you please.
*teehee*
Dec 22, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
I would say no but Im sure somewhere out there there is a guy who doesn't like that Grave of the Fireflies movie and is just labeled as uncultured
Dec 22, 2016 2:39 PM

Aug 2014
Provided you don't mean "I lose interest as soon as I know it's popular", it doesn't really matter no. Watch what you're interested in, I guess, it's just that dismissing popular anime as interesting because they are popular is not the way to go.

Watching popular shit usually allows you to get in more conversations than just knowing about niche stuff, so I'd suggest at least checking out the most interesting ones if you want to hit up people at conventions or something, though it's not a requirement.

Well, in the end I'm one to suggest at least checking out the critically acclaimed anime, or sources of inspiration, but I don't suppose you're much of the writing type, so it doesn't matter.
Dec 22, 2016 2:40 PM

Jul 2015
i'm the opposite , i dont care about unpopular anime ^^
watch whatever you enjoy
Dec 22, 2016 2:40 PM
Dec 2015
Darek said:
GamerUnglued said:

I feel the opposite tho I haven't finished K-on (the second season) yet, had it on hold for a while... Also so far aria beats K-on for me as well XD.

Well the tatami galaxy seems quite known. Popularity is hard to measure really...

also crap I forgot to answer OP's question.... gotta edit that first post of mine.
Lol about answering OP's question.

As for K-ON, it gets much better the more you watch it. It seems you stopped at episode 4, which is the episode where it starts to really become its own and establish the girls flourishing friendship. Once season 2 hits episode 8 or so it becomes something really special as it becomes melancholic about the girls getting closer to their final days with each other in the club. Even better is rewatching the first season after watching the second makes the whole thing even better.

I actually just started writing a huge analysis of K-ON on my MAL blog, where I am doing an analysis of every single episode from both seasons. I've got three episodes up and am probably going to start on the fourth one soon, so feel free to check it out (and others also #shamelessplug).
Dec 22, 2016 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
GamerUnglued said:
Darek said:

Lol about answering OP's question.

As for K-ON, it gets much better the more you watch it. It seems you stopped at episode 4, which is the episode where it starts to really become its own and establish the girls flourishing friendship. Once season 2 hits episode 8 or so it becomes something really special as it becomes melancholic about the girls getting closer to their final days with each other in the club. Even better is rewatching the first season after watching the second makes the whole thing even better.

I actually just started writing a huge analysis of K-ON on my MAL blog, where I am doing an analysis of every single episode from both seasons. I've got three episodes up and am probably going to start on the fourth one soon, so feel free to check it out (and others also #shamelessplug).

hmmm are you Digibro's alt? XD

well I don't like judging before watching completely so I won't judge for now but I really liked K-on so far so who know it may become one of my favs, maybe not no.1 because due to European reference and really my type of music So Ra No Wo To was pretty much "made for me".
Dec 22, 2016 2:43 PM

Jan 2015
GamerUnglued said:
Darek said:

I really don't care.

I disagree. I don't think Tatami Galaxy is that popular. Yes, it's highly rated and acclaimed, but that doesn't mean it's popular. It's popularity rank is 436, not 52. Also, only 47K people have completed it. That isn't much. If you ask most anime watchers, they will most likely have no idea what it is.

OT: No, just watch what you want.
Dec 22, 2016 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
Deknijff said:
I would say no but Im sure somewhere out there there is a guy who doesn't like that Grave of the Fireflies movie and is just labeled as uncultured
I would be that guy. Fell asleep during it on three separate occasions. I just can't get into it.
Dec 22, 2016 2:46 PM
Dec 2015
Pyro said:
GamerUnglued said:

I disagree. I don't think Tatami Galaxy is that popular. Yes, it's highly rated and acclaimed, but that doesn't mean it's popular. It's popularity rank is 436, not 52. Also, only 47K people have completed it. That isn't much. If you ask most anime watchers, they will most likely have no idea what it is.
Pyro said:
GamerUnglued said:

OT: No, just watch what you want.
My bad. I was actually looking at top rated and not most popular, where it is ranked 52. I do disagree with you about the popularity though. TTG has always been pretty hyped, and I'm pretty sure that most serious anime watchers have at least heard of it. It probably hasn't been completed by many because Yuuasa's works are all ugly as hell and it's a turnoff. I'd also argue that being ranked the 436th most popular anime of all time among the hundreds of thousands of anime on this site is pretty damn great.
Dec 22, 2016 2:47 PM

Oct 2013
Chandela said:
Deknijff said:
I would be that guy. Fell asleep during it on three separate occasions. I just can't get into it.
Is it just boring?
I can imagine it being that because all I hear about it is that it really shows the horror of war for kids
and in honesty I don't really care for that so I haven't bothered watching it
Dec 22, 2016 2:48 PM
Dec 2015
Chandela said:
Deknijff said:
I was also that guy. The characters were acting nonsensical and dumb for the sake of creating drama and they were so unlikable and annoying that I couldn't even find myself caring about them regardless. The entire thing could have been avoided if the main guy just fucking gained some humility for the sake of his sister.
Dec 22, 2016 2:50 PM

Jun 2014
GamerUnglued said:
Darek said:

I really don't care.

Tatami Galaxy isn't popular at all. You know something is popular if a majority of casual fans know what the anime is.
Dec 22, 2016 2:51 PM

Nov 2014
Uuuurrrrrr...
Of course there isn't any problem with liking whatever you like, and besides what would you do if there was? Force yourself to enjoy popular shows?

I can't really shake off the feeling that despite saying you're not trying to sound like a hipster, you just made this thread to try and appear cool and out there by having unusual tastes.
Thi might be due to the fact that you actually do like popular anime, you gave really positive scores to Mirai Nikki, Kill la Kill, Soul Eater, FLCL and Lucky Star so why are you lying to us if not to try and sound like an anime hipster?
Dec 22, 2016 2:51 PM

Jul 2016
I don't really care about the popularity of an anime. I do however get curious on what all the fuss is about and end up checking it out. If I enjoy the anime, I enjoy the anime. Whether it's popular or not.
Dec 22, 2016 2:52 PM
Dec 2015
Kagami said:
GamerUnglued said:

Tatami Galaxy isn't popular at all. You know something is popular if a majority of casual fans know what the anime is.
I would say something is popular if a majority of anime fans in general (casual or not) know what it is. I also think that casual anime fans are a minority. Even with that, I know tons of casual fans who may not know the name of the show but can recognize the distinct artwork from it because others have mentioned it or they've seen it online.
Dec 22, 2016 2:57 PM

Jun 2014
GamerUnglued said:
Kagami said:

I would say something is popular if a majority of anime fans in general (casual or not) know what it is. I also think that casual anime fans are a minority. Even with that, I know tons of casual fans who may not know the name of the show but can recognize the distinct artwork from it because others have mentioned it or they've seen it online.

Casual anime fans are not the miniority. I would say the majority of anime fans have seen fifty or less shows and the such. The show you mentioned might be popular within the portion of the anime community, but is not popular in general.

Smart anime fans are still the miniority. I saw somebody do an interesting statistic on myanimelist back in 2014 and I'd agree with what it said.
Dec 22, 2016 2:58 PM

Oct 2014
I personally think it's much more uncultured to only watch popular anime and not care about anything else. Just watch what you like. You shouldn't feel bad for not having generic taste, most of us don't. "Popular anime" are usually just what can appeal to the most people so naturally they won't cater to your specific needs as well as more niche anime will.
Dec 22, 2016 3:22 PM
Dec 2015
Kagami said:
GamerUnglued said:

Casual anime fans are not the miniority. I would say the majority of anime fans have seen fifty or less shows and the such. The show you mentioned might be popular within the portion of the anime community, but is not popular in general.

Smart anime fans are still the miniority. I saw somebody do an interesting statistic on myanimelist back in 2014 and I'd agree with what it said.
When I say not casual, I don't mean the super critical people. I more mean the people who know more than just AoT, SAO, and other main stream stuff. People who only watch those three and similar stuff are casual. People who started by only watching those but enjoyed them so much they looked for similar shows are more what I'm referring to, and those people make up a majority of anime fans, especially on MAL. Even before I started to understand what made anime so great, I knew about shows like Angel Beats, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Mirai Nikki, and Toradora which are all in the top 10 most popular here and I'd have never heard of without doing a bit more research. TTG also appeared a lot in my research of potential anime to watch, but I'd avoided it because it frankly looks like ass.
Dec 22, 2016 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
Yes it is! It is a norm in the community that you must watch popular animu and trash talk it. If you dont do that you are not a true weeb OP :p

OT: There are alot of animes that follow under the category of SoLs that are also very popular (Toradora, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, K-On, etc..). Do you dislike this shows as well, despite them being SoL, just because they are popular?
Dec 22, 2016 3:26 PM

Jan 2015
GamerUnglued said:
My bad. I was actually looking at top rated and not most popular, where it is ranked 52. I do disagree with you about the popularity though. TTG has always been pretty hyped, and I'm pretty sure that most serious anime watchers have at least heard of it. It probably hasn't been completed by many because Yuuasa's works are all ugly as hell and it's a turnoff. I'd also argue that being ranked the 436th most popular anime of all time among the hundreds of thousands of anime on this site is pretty damn great.

I meant casual anime watchers would have no idea what it is. Of course serious fans would know. When you think of popular anime, it's stuff like One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Sword Art Online, Naruto, and Attack on Titan. Those are popular series that the large majority of anime watchers would know. Tatami Galaxy is pretty out there in terms of popularity.
AeroheartDec 22, 2016 3:40 PM
Dec 22, 2016 3:31 PM

Sep 2016
YumiLovesMe said:
...I like a lot of offbeat and SOL type stuff personally...

Speaking my language!!! XD

The popular ones I like are, news to me, considered "older" like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, and K-On!. I am genuinely late to the party, but I don't run into many Kuragehime or Ichigo Mashimaro fans...Hanamaru Youchien ones either. Like what you like, just don't be a snob about it and you won't be a hipster! Liking steak medium rare filet mignon doesn't make you a snob, but looking down on those who don't is being a snob.

You're doing a-ok, good job!

Dec 22, 2016 3:35 PM

May 2015
It's not bad to not like popular anime, but it gets tiresome when the same people repeat the same topics with the same anime over and over again. That's why it's a lot more interesting to venture into the unknown so that you can have something new to talk about.
Dec 22, 2016 3:37 PM

Dec 2016
Having any taste in anime at all is uncultured. Keep that in mind kids.
Dec 22, 2016 3:38 PM

Feb 2010
Basing your interest on the popularity or lack of it rather than content and staff of a show will always seem weird to me, but in general it's up to every individual. There is a fairly big variety in terms of popular shows (unless you only count the top 5 or 10 most well known shows and call the 10000 others unpopular no matter if they have 100k or 10 viewers on MAL) so just based on content I have a hard time seeing someone not liking ANYTHING that's popular.I think you usually need some kind of aversion against the thought of popularity to manage to dislike every single thing that is popular enough to deserve the name. But maybe I'm wrong.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 22, 2016 3:42 PM

Dec 2015
GamerUnglued said:
Darek said:

I really don't care.

Tatami Galaxy is rated #52 in the top rated shows, and #456 in popularity. of course it's critically aclaimed but sadly it's not known by the majority of people.
Dec 22, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2010
i disliked popular series too when was new to anime, those good old days :/
Dec 22, 2016 3:52 PM

May 2015
It doesn't matter unless you are specifically not enjoying them as soon as they aren't popular.

Some anime in my top 10 aren't that popular(Katangatari, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Kyousougiga). Others are very popular(Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, etc.) If you go past that, it's still the same. Yeah I like Gunbuster, Ushio to Tora, and Hotarubi no Mori E but I also like Durarara!!, Haikyuu, and Madoka Magica.

It's just taste, the actual shows that are popular don't really matter. Because the reasons I dislike some popular shows(Attack on Titan, Re:Zero, Boku dake ga Inai Machi) all vary from each other and my opinions towards them.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 22, 2016 3:58 PM
Feb 2016
wtf your completed list is:
-Another
-FLCL
-Girls Bravo
-Kill la Kill
-Lucky Star
-Mirai Nikki
-MM!
-Soul Eater

only girls bravo and mm are unpopular anime (the ones you gave the lowest ratings), the rest of them are popular ._.
Dec 22, 2016 4:00 PM

Jun 2014
GamerUnglued said:
Kagami said:

When I say not casual, I don't mean the super critical people. I more mean the people who know more than just AoT, SAO, and other main stream stuff. People who only watch those three and similar stuff are casual. People who started by only watching those but enjoyed them so much they looked for similar shows are more what I'm referring to, and those people make up a majority of anime fans, especially on MAL. Even before I started to understand what made anime so great, I knew about shows like Angel Beats, Code Geass, Steins;Gate, Mirai Nikki, and Toradora which are all in the top 10 most popular here and I'd have never heard of without doing a bit more research. TTG also appeared a lot in my research of potential anime to watch, but I'd avoided it because it frankly looks like ass.

Angel Beats, Toradora and especially Code Geass still fall into the realm of what a casual fan could know. I'm not dissing casual fans or anything, but like I said: They are the heavy majority and have seen around 1-50 anime and they are typically the same titles. It might seem hard to believe due to a portion of myanimelist users that have seen a lot, but that isn't even close to how many fans or casual fans out there. There's a reason why casuals have so much say in how our world runs. Its the same reason why digital over physical is so popular.

I could explain more, but a lot of fans who have seen hundreds of anime+ are the vast miniority. A lot of reasons tie into that: They have lives, family, other hobbies, etc.
Dec 22, 2016 4:10 PM

Feb 2015
OP you are doing it wrong, just like what most people like and you'll be safe. Ohh and, yeah side with Rem fandoms... xD
Dec 22, 2016 5:13 PM
Dec 2015
Pyro said:
GamerUnglued said:

I meant casual anime watchers would have no idea what it is. Of course serious fans would know. When you think of popular anime, it's stuff like One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Sword Art Online, Naruto, and Attack on Titan. Those are popular series that the large majority of anime watchers would know. Tatami Galaxy is pretty out there in terms of popularity.
I'm guessing out definition of "popular" is pretty different then. I found out about TTG quickly when I was first researching stuff. I found it almost as quickly as I did the other works I mentioned. A complete anime noob wouldn't have heart of it, but anyone who has decided to expand their anime horizons beyond mainstream shounen probably would have. My definition for "casual" refers to those who have chosen to expand their horizons beyond mainstream stuff.
Dec 22, 2016 5:19 PM
Dec 2015
Kagami said:
GamerUnglued said:

Angel Beats, Toradora and especially Code Geass still fall into the realm of what a casual fan could know. I'm not dissing casual fans or anything, but like I said: They are the heavy majority and have seen around 1-50 anime and they are typically the same titles. It might seem hard to believe due to a portion of myanimelist users that have seen a lot, but that isn't even close to how many fans or casual fans out there. There's a reason why casuals have so much say in how our world runs. Its the same reason why digital over physical is so popular.

I could explain more, but a lot of fans who have seen hundreds of anime+ are the vast miniority. A lot of reasons tie into that: They have lives, family, other hobbies, etc.
I'd never heard of any of those anime until I started watching stuff that wasn't a well-known drama. I'd heard of Angel Beats once in passing, but the others I didn't come across until much later, including Code Geass. I had also known about TTG when I had less than 50 anime completed, and my friends who aren't as into it as me but still love it have heard of TTG. None of this even matters though, since TTG is amazing and it has nothing to do with answering OP. I didn't mean for this to become a debate, so I apologize.
Dec 22, 2016 5:22 PM

Jan 2010
Well, I personally do not care for Re:Zero and SAO and will not watch it. But just because I don't want to watch it doesn't mean I hate it. Just acknowledging popular anime as commendable in their own reasons and not giving a flying fuck is okay. If that's okay, then you're okay too. It's okay to have preferences and unique tastes.
Dec 22, 2016 7:41 PM

Oct 2009
I don't think so. While I've seen some popular shows like Inuyasha and Kill la Kill, there's alot of popular shows I haven't gotten around to yet like Attack on Titan, Soul Eater, Sword Art Online, Deathnote, Full Metal Alchemist, etc., because the particular plots of those don't sound interesting to me. It's just all has to do with one's personal taste on what you watch or don't watch.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Dec 22, 2016 8:18 PM

Jun 2011
I full on like anime like Moldiver, Video Girl Ai, Kimera, Earthian... ummm you aren't alone but if you start liking anime rated 5-6 and putting them in your faves... owning them on DVD, trying to show your friends, your friends say "haha thanks for the bad anime night" and you are like yeah I guess they are pretty cheesey... ummm yeah. lol Toward the Terra, the old movie? I genuinely like it. I don't care how dramatic and cheesy it is. It makes me feel this special feeling.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 23, 2016 1:06 AM

Aug 2014
Uncultured? oh my... is there even such a thing??

There is usually a merit in delving deeper on not-so-mainstream culture, aka the ones you cannot get from the "cultural supermarket". But, let this not sway you into a perspectival thinking that you are on your way to digging up a Yamashita treasure, or a grand scientific discovery (like gravity). In the playing-field of culture, being a deviant is not synonymous to innovativeness, as sociologists would agree that the main repercussions for being not in the mainstream are the "sanctions" that the society will eagerly throw upon you. It is not a matter of being a deviant because you like to be unique, instead it is more, "Am I ready and prepared enough to receive the sanctions?" Very much the same in anime culture, what is considered to be holding more power and authority enables and empowers us if we are on this circle, but at the same time it provides us an inescapable constraint from the arbitary rules and regulations that accompanies it. LoGH fans gives them an elevated manner of sophistication and transcendence but are heavily sanctioned of the elitist label by the community. Hence, you will either brave up and endure the sanctions, or go with the flow and conform to the larger body, that's pretty much there is to it. Avoid the mentality of attributing "good-ness" or "bad-ness" onto culture dialectics, as it is somewhat inappropriate and misleading.
HaeduansDec 23, 2016 1:23 AM
Dec 23, 2016 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
Hmmm don't think so, well, I don't know, but I usually dislike popular anime too because most of it is cliché, ecchi or bad attempt at comedy.
23 ♀ | ES/ENG

Dec 23, 2016 1:28 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah the more obscure ur taste, the more uncivilized it was.

la critique de l'intention pure
Dec 23, 2016 1:34 AM

Mar 2008
It is a disrespectful and most shameful display of very big cowardice.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 32 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
42 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

15 by Shizuna »»
43 seconds ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

48 by APolygons2 »»
49 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

30 by Miyamotodex23 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 31 minutes ago

5 by Spunkert »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.