Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 18, 2016 1:07 PM

Dec 2015
I've never really been interested in sports anime but I would love to see something that involved extreme sports.
You know...skateboarding/snowboarding/bmx/whatever. Sadly though I'm not aware of any that exist (please feel free to tell me if you know of any) and I think it's an untapped area of potential that could be something great especially with today's fancy modern animation.

So what do you think?
Would you like to see an extreme sports anime?
Dec 18, 2016 1:10 PM
Feb 2015
yeah sure.. if you count racing:Capeta,Initial D
you can watch Hajime no Ippo which is boxing or Grappler Baki which is with a lot of fighting
Dec 18, 2016 1:14 PM

Dec 2015
LouM said:
you can watch Hajime no Ippo which is boxing or Grappler Baki which is with a lot of fighting

Racing is sorta close to what I'm looking for...but again something more like skateboard/snowbaord/bmx/rollerskates/FMX.
Something that involves doing stunts for the sake of doing stunts.

And I'm not sure anyone considers boxing an extereme sport.
Dec 18, 2016 1:15 PM

May 2015
Air gear
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2016 1:17 PM
Feb 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
LouM said:

Racing is sorta close to what I'm looking for...but again something more like skateboard/snowbaord/bmx/rollerskates/FMX.
Something that involves doing stunts for the sake of doing stunts.

And I'm not sure anyone considers boxing an extereme sport.
you will hardly find anything the sort you are looking for.. i know a snowboard manga tho but havent read it also Air gear
Dec 18, 2016 1:20 PM

Jan 2009
Eureka 7 has skateboarding in the sky though
RideBack if i remember right is about motorbikes racing
Redline can be considered extreme car racing

Apr 2015
Air Gear is really extreme. Hajime no Ippo can be sometimes as well. :) Overdrive is one I've heard is extreme but don't know much about.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 2015
WHAT?!

Ain't a basketball anime enough for you to satisfy your daily yaoi desire?
Dec 18, 2016 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
LouM said:
you will hardly find anything the sort you are looking for.. i know a snowboard manga tho but havent read it also Air gear

Well that's my point, I think it's something that hasn't really been explored but could be great.

zal said:
Air gear

Ok...so there's that, but what else huh?
(I might actually watch this, though it does look a little bit...fan servicey)

j0x said:

Once again, I don't mean racing.
Something more along the lines of someone flying up a half pipe and pulling a sweet backflip :p
Dec 18, 2016 1:23 PM
Feb 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
LouM said:

Well that's my point, I think it's something that hasn't really been explored but could be great.

zal said:
Air gear

you can always go to the sport genre and search since there arent that many sports anime
Dec 18, 2016 1:25 PM

Dec 2015
_Ako_ said:
WHAT?!

Pfft, Haikyuu didn't have nearly enough butt stuff.
Dec 18, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
_Ako_ said:
WHAT?!

Pfft, Haikyuu didn't have nearly enough butt stuff.

What?! Isn't that more than enough?
Dec 18, 2016 1:33 PM

May 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
LouM said:

zal said:
Air gear

j0x said:

Once again, I don't mean racing.
Something more along the lines of someone flying up a half pipe and pulling a sweet backflip :p
When it has fan service it goes all in but it's not as often as something like Fairy tail with every episode having a scene iirc.

Capeta is nice but incomplete, even the manga was stopped.

There are basketball sports like Slam Dunk and Kuroko.

Tennis but I haven't seen any of them.

Maybe Kinnikuman II Sei?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDVMcjHKVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E
zalDec 18, 2016 1:37 PM
Dec 18, 2016 1:36 PM

Oct 2014
Well maybe as long as the Series is Focused more on the Characters than the sport and or if there are Actual Stakes in the sport.
Dec 18, 2016 1:39 PM

May 2015
Bourmegar said:
Well maybe as long as the Series is Focused more on the Characters than the sport and or if there are Actual Stakes in the sport.
In Kinnikuman II Sei they are saving the word through wrestling, high stakes right there.
Dec 18, 2016 1:39 PM

Dec 2015
Bourmegar said:

Sure, just make it so the local youths have to win the big extreme sports competition and beat their snobby rich rival so they can save the rec center from being demolished. You know...like all those crappy movies in the 90's.
Dec 18, 2016 2:25 PM

Oct 2014
Bobby2Hands said:
Bourmegar said:

Sure, just make it so the local youths have to win the big extreme sports competition and beat their snobby rich rival so they can save the rec center from being demolished. You know...like all those crappy movies in the 90's.

Or maybe save the world by Playing a children's cardgame.

Stakes are important to create Tension.

@Zal yh like that
Dec 18, 2016 2:46 PM

Aug 2016
Yowamushi Pedal. I'm currently watching it to prep for the 3rd season that will air this Winter. It's very hard to stop watching (but I do love sports anime). Hajime no Ippo is intense too.
Dec 18, 2016 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
You may be interested in checking out Chihayafuru, even though it's not about "extreme" sports, per-say, but rather, a competitive card sport called Karuta. It is centered on competition and growth as a competitor in this particular card game. There are several levels of skill shown throughout the course of the anime, and each match has an intense feel about it.
Dec 18, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2015
I don't really want extreme sports or such in anime, at least not in a way like "oh, look, a quintuple salto, kakkoiiii!"

Well it is not cool automatically - because it is drawn; it is cool when it is for real, real people actually achieving that, and doing it so well that it looks like effortless(ly) ...

I always admired good gymnasts, dancers, jugglers, any such performance based in controlling their own body almost beyond belief...
Drawing that is, well, so what ? Anyone can draw a pyramid that is 5 times the size of Cheop's . That does not make it cool in any way. The cool thing is when you see those real Great Pyramids of Giza*, the awe is in them being real.

That does not mean that characters in anime, or even more in games, should not move "cool" and be able to do quintuple saltos and such - it is just that it should not be confused with/for the real thing.
If an anime show has nothing else to offer but such stuff, then to me it is (hopefully) like a music video, no meaning beyond good rythm / going nicely along with its soundtrack - that then is all.

Compare to nature/ wildlife documentaries - would you want to watch the "real thing" or an anime version where everything is "even cooler" ?

----------------------
* just had the most ridiculous typo there - now I wonder what kind of anime "The Great Pyromaids of Giza" (Gizaa/Giiza) would be like. :D
BannoBunka_snorkDec 18, 2016 3:34 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Dec 18, 2016 3:27 PM

Dec 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
I don't really want extreme sports or such in anime, at least not in a way like "oh, look, a quintuple salto, kakkoiiii!"

Well it is not cool, because it is drawn, it is cool when it is for real, real people actually achieving that, and doing it so well that it looks like effortless(ly) ...

I always admired good gymnasts, dancers, jugglers, any such performance based in controlling their own body almost beyond belief...
Drawing that is, well, so what ? Anyone can draw a pyramid that is 5 times the size of Cheop's . That does not make it cool in any way. The cool thing is when you see those real Great Pyramids of Giza*, the awe is in them being real.

That does not mean that characters in anime, or even more in games, should not move "cool" and be able to do quintuple saltos and such - it is just that it should not be confused with/for the real thing.
If an anime show has nothing else to offer but such stuff, then to me it is (hopefully) like a music video, no meaning beyond good rythm / going nicely along with its soundtrack - that then is all.

Compare to nature/ wildlife documentaries - would you want to watch the "real thing" or an anime version where everything is "even cooler" ?

----------------------
* just had the most ridiculous typo there - now I wonder what kind of anime "The Great Pyromaids of Giza" (Gizaa/Giiza) might be. :D

Wouldn't that mean that all sports anime are bullshit because you could just go watch real sports?
Dec 18, 2016 3:38 PM

Oct 2015
Bobby2Hands said:

Wouldn't that mean that all sports anime are bullshit because you could just go watch real sports?

When it has nothing to offer beyond depicting the sport, then most likely yes. I am watching football, street cycling and also biathlon. When I want to watch any of that sports themselves, I'll watch the real thing. I would only watch anime where such sport is the "background", where it is about sth. else.
And typically teamsports anime are more about the team, the characters growing from the sport, from being part of a team, and so on.

And like I said, even when it is nothing but the sport (or fight, or some such) it could still be an enjoyable thing, roughly in the way I enjoy a music video, or also video game "action" trailers.

edit - if ping pong had been about just ping pong, and nothing else ... I wonder if anyone would ever have heard of it. (exaggerating)

(edit - grammar, typos)
BannoBunka_snorkDec 18, 2016 3:48 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Dec 18, 2016 3:39 PM

Apr 2008
Olympics anime.

Sure, then we can have it all. We have Yuri on Ice, Yowapedal,...it's just a matter of time.
Dec 23, 2016 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
^ I highly doubt Yuri on Ice has the standard to be included into extreme sports anime.
Dec 23, 2016 8:26 AM
Apr 2016
must watch haikyuu and and ping pong
Dec 23, 2016 9:24 AM

Jun 2008
Kuroko no Basket is pretty extreme. Just look at all those special moves!
Dec 23, 2016 9:26 AM

Mar 2016
it always fun to look into new sports but it seems like the animo creaters don't care about extreme sports
Dec 23, 2016 9:33 AM
Feb 2015
MiziTami said:
LouM said:

OMG finally someone who has watched Capeta ;-;
too bad the trabslation of the manga is so slow :/
Dec 23, 2016 9:42 AM

Jan 2016
Kokou no Hito is a bit too long but Kamigami no Itadaki has only 5 volumes and it is very good to make an anime out of it.

Anyway i don't think extreme sports anime would sell well so it's highly improbable that we will see one.
Dec 23, 2016 11:31 AM

Feb 2015
The only skateboarding i've seen in anime so far is the K Project series, where one of the characters skates around to get places. To my surprise it was pretty dope the first time seeing him do a line, but it quickly became cheesy lol
Dec 23, 2016 11:57 AM

Dec 2009
@Bobby2Hands
Extreme ironing.

LOL

Nobody who makes anime has experience with that, and it would require budget to get in contact with sources for adequate info.

j0x said:
Surfboarding*
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 23, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2009
GenesisAria said:

j0x said:
Surfboarding*

ah ye thats the correct word im looking for
Dec 23, 2016 12:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bobby2Hands said:
I've never really been interested in sports anime but I would love to see something that involved extreme sports.
You know...skateboarding/snowboarding/bmx/whatever. Sadly though I'm not aware of any that exist (please feel free to tell me if you know of any) and I think it's an untapped area of potential that could be something great especially with today's fancy modern animation.

So what do you think?
Would you like to see an extreme sports anime?

Last time I checked you finished Keijo... it don't get more extreme lol
Dec 23, 2016 12:28 PM

Dec 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

I think that might be a different kind of extereme. I mean, Tony Hawk never took his dick out on a half pipe :p
Dec 23, 2016 12:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bobby2Hands said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

I think that might be a different kind of extereme. I mean, Tony Hawk never took his dick out on a half pipe :p

Lol well I only watch sports anime of girls, so xD
Dec 23, 2016 12:39 PM

Dec 2009
@Bobby2Hands
There's a handful of mixed martial arts anime. While that's not tackling the environment, it is an extreme sport.

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? is a games series that has numerous sports within it that can be pretty intense.

Then there's silly extreme like Saki - you will never have realized how epic mahjong could be, until you see all these friggin super-powers at play LOL
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 25, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
I think you'd have better luck in the manga department. Unfortunately it seems otakus are not really into extreme sports. Recently saw this commercial for samurai doing extreme sports that would make a badass anime though lol

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Dec 25, 2016 12:43 PM

May 2015
MiziTami said:
LouM said:
too bad the trabslation of the manga is so slow :/

oh I feel you man. It is the only series which I would donate to if I could. Damn it.. But I think we should be grateful it's still alive. like the latest chapter came after like 6 months+ holy shit I thought it died ;-;
Wasn't capeta's manga cancelled? That's what I read online after finishing the anime.
Dec 25, 2016 12:45 PM

Jun 2014
zal said:
Air gear

Isn't that an Anime where people go rollerblading and have sex with each other?

Dec 25, 2016 12:58 PM

May 2015
Seiya said:
zal said:
Air gear

No, they go rollerblading with plenty of partial nudity, I don't remember actual sex being involved.
Dec 25, 2016 12:59 PM

Jun 2014
zal said:
Seiya said:

No, they go rollerblading with plenty of partial nudity, I don't remember actual sex being involved.

Oh, because I was never fully sure about Air Gear. All I know is that I've been continuously avoiding it because I don't think I would like it.

Dec 25, 2016 1:02 PM

May 2015
Seiya said:
zal said:

Oh, because I was never fully sure about Air Gear. All I know is that I've been continuously avoiding it because I don't think I would like it.
It's a rather generic battle shounen quite similar to Fairy tail (less frequent nudity but more exposed and in your face), from the little shows we have in common I doubt it is your genre.
Dec 25, 2016 1:52 PM

May 2015
MiziTami said:
zal said:
Wasn't capeta's manga cancelled? That's what I read online after finishing the anime.

Canceled? Um about the official series; is Obvio completed and looks dope. The scanlations were having trouble keeping it up. I Also thought it died only to scream my heart out at class when I got an updated chapter after half a year 😂
It seems Deadbeat scans is translating it and even released today another chapter but there are still 9 volumes and a half missing. It was a nice show, I would like to finish the story one day when the manga is fully translated.
Dec 25, 2016 1:58 PM
Sep 2015
KEIJO.

yes . thats extreme and hardcore
Dec 26, 2016 2:52 AM

Feb 2016
Giant Killing, Baby Steps, Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace, Haikyuu!!! those are the best sports i watched so far planning to watch Major though. i didnt add overrated anime like Kuroko no Basuke because almost everyone knows that. Currently watching Yuri on Ice btw i really like sports anime though.
AniDeMaxDec 26, 2016 2:57 AM

Dec 26, 2016 3:15 AM
Mar 2016
how about movie redline,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 26, 2016 3:28 AM

Sep 2016
Keijo!!!!!!!!!!! is very extreme.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 26, 2016 9:27 AM
Dec 2015
There's Ginban Kaleidoscope but mostly focuses more on romance. They have skating for the girl and the guy (ghost) was a stunt pilot. Aerodiving, that kind of thing lol, You'd be pleasantly surprised at the plot though but it's a very sweet romance series. :) I just love the guy, Pete lol.
Dec 26, 2016 9:39 AM

Feb 2010
BMX:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1316/Idaten_Jump

Aside from that I only found some random unsubbed stuff like

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2740/Monkey_Turn
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9748/Kaze_wo_Nuke
https://myanimelist.net/anime/19943/Eikou_e_no_Spur:_Igaya_Chiharu_Monogatari

I'm afraid Idaten Jump is the only BMX one and aside from that there's only Air Gear for rollerblading and that's about it.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

51 by Lhundrup »»
3 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 1 hour ago

9 by LenRea »»
19 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

2 by billybub »»
24 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

63 by WatchTillTandava »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

21 by DarkShame2 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.