Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 30, 2016 3:07 AM
May 2016
This was fun with slightly serious tone episode. Avilio and Nero looks kinda become brothers like.
Jul 30, 2016 4:24 AM

Jun 2013
Damn this episode was a bit too different coming off of what happened the previous episodes
Jul 30, 2016 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
DatRandomDude said:
idk why but it kinda felt like an episode of cowboy bebop or something

This, enjoyed it immensely.
Jul 30, 2016 4:48 AM

Dec 2015
Amazing episode. 5/5 and I'll keep this anime at 9/10.

Great writing/directing and changes in the mood. I love the opening (reminds of Psycho Pass cause of same artist) and the char design and mafia reminds of Baccano.

Nice mood changes in the atmosphere and nice comedy mixed in.

I guess the 2 guys might become friends and travel together until at the end the one reveals that other one killed his father. (He might wait until they meet that last guy he didn't know of that was with the killers.)

And mabye they still decide to stay friends then. Feels good to see them both together and feels like the show just really started. Showing them together with the kids ... they wanted to show that the one guy that killed parents of the other guy (still need to learn the names ha ha) can be a nice guy - to make friendship possible.

Probably like a road movie and them traveling fleeing from the other family (they might send another killer) ... travelling for 91 days or something like that.
Jul 30, 2016 5:13 AM

Jun 2012
Man this show is really great. Now we've got the interesting dynamic of really getting close to your enemy and becoming friends with them. Building unintentional relationships that will inevitably come crashing down once he finds out he killed Vanno or once Angelo decides to kill him, if he can.

The scene with the kids was also interesting, seeing him crack a smile. Makes you wonder what his life could have been.

This anime is gonna get emotionally rough. I'm wondering what the reason his father was killed is. It's also quite sad seeing that they are overall decent people, but work is work and you have to do what you have to do. It's a brilliant tale of revenge where you don't really want to see him get his revenge because you actually like the guys he's after.

It actually reminds me of "Sympathy for Mr Vengeance" which i've seen quite recently (It's a Korean film that I highly recommend). especially how some of the shorter scenes in this episode transitioned into one another. And the general themes of the movie.

I think this could be a classic in the making. Cannot wait for next week. is it going to be a 12 episode thing?
jimbob1141Jul 30, 2016 6:29 AM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 30, 2016 5:43 AM

Jul 2013
Despite having a different atmosphere, episode 4 was a wonderful and necessary step in the building of the story, in my humble opinion.

The past three episodes presented to the viewers just how dark and serious the world of "91 Days" is, how unforgiving and bluntly painful reality truly was during those times. However, due to the construction of these exact foundations at the time, there was no chance for the characters to reveal more of themselves, to display that they are truly alive, so to speak. Had the story continued in that straightforward manner of creating new events and revealing those that have passed, no doubt the audience would not have perceived the characters as human beings, but would have simply slapped one single role to them.
I love episode 4, because not only does it forge a bond between Angelo and Nero and present to us parts of each's inner workings, it does this rather subtly, without it taking the spotlight from the happenings around them. What was also very pleasant to see was how the new vital element - the 4th person - was introduced into the story so easily, without any stark contrast from everything else in an attempt to highlight the moment.

It really interests me who the 4th person is. Logic states that it is likely that they are the very same person, who sent Angelo the letter. For them to have the picture of Luce, which happened to be on the shelf on the night of the shooting, it almost seems too obvious. Considering it was in what appears to be a metal frame and shielded by glass, it's not impossible to say that his father's friend found the picture in the rubble, however, for what purpose could he have possibly taken that picture in particular in the first place? Out of their own morals, for the sake of being loyal to his friend? I doubt that. It's more likely that the father's friend wanted to have a trump card in the future.

After looking through the first episode again, it appears that the 4th person, whoever they may be, was standing by the car outside.Vincente and Vanno went upstairs, while Nero searched the first floor and chased after Angelo. At about 07:26 you can see a hatted head moving by the car, but later Nero conveniently hides that part from view as he tries to shoot Angelo. Later, during the shot from above, we can clearly see someone behind Nero. But what is the likelihood of that person being the father's friend, something so easily presumable?
Jul 30, 2016 7:32 AM

Feb 2016
Buck_Wade said:
Jack_Corvus96 said:
so, i wasnt the only one who found weird comedy on a dark and dramatic show, i mean the episode was good, and funny, but it wasnt the colors the showed us from the first 3 episodes, when everything looked quite dark and deep

What is your definition of, "deep"?

maybe deep wasnt the word i wanted atm, my grammar sucks lol
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 30, 2016 7:48 AM

May 2013
This episode represented a bit of a tonal departure from the previous three, and it's a testament to this show's quality that it managed the transition so well. A few parts were a little too silly for my test, and the big assassin felt too-over-the-top for such a grounded show, but overall it was good fun, a nice change of pace, and a great display of Angelo and Nero's dynamic. Nero is now as humanized as Vanno, and seeing how well he and Angelo play off each other only makes their inevitable confrontation sadder. Angelo is as impenetrable as always, and I do wonder if his opinion of Nero has changed in any meaningful manner or if he's still dead-set on killing him. Nero clearly feels disgusted by his involvement in the the family's murder, and him and Angelo make a great team. It's a shame that this probably won't end well for either, but that's the stuff of which powerful emotional storytelling is made.

Also, I really do adore how well this show nails the feel of the period it's paying homage too. So rare to see something like this in anime.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jul 30, 2016 8:20 AM
Jan 2015
I do not hate this episode. I was just weirded out. It felt really out of place. Nonetheless, I do not know if it was intentional to the part of the staff to make it look like a Baccano! episode sans the energy and the less than effective black comedy.

PS: Forgive me for being spammy but here's my blog. Thanks for paying a paying a visit!
Jul 30, 2016 8:42 AM

Feb 2016
Angelo making a genuine smile made me smile too lol. Still, gotta love that antagonistic gaze back there.

Mind that an episode with a great character buildup is not a filler.

please24episodesplease24episodesplease24episodesplease24episodes
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Jul 30, 2016 8:55 AM

Sep 2013
We get a little more backstory on Nero who was indeed part of Angelo's family being killed. Nero was even the one who shot Angelo while he was running away from him. I'm sure years later, Nero will get better with his aim.

The comedy bit was a hit for me. It was so old fashioned and basic that it worked well in this type of genre. The kids putting candy in the hat was great, considering that there was a button, candy wrapper, bottle cap, rubber band and a FUCKING GRASSHOPPER!

When Big Mexico got hit by the car his dog had a great reaction. I know this part wasn't intentional, but I found it hilarious that a trained gangster couldn't shoot Big Mexico in the head but random farmer did instead. It made sense since he couldn't kill Angelo with a head shot due to his poor aim. But hey, at least he can juggle!

Also, I've noticed that this show has A LOT of ass holes in it. Even background characters are asshole like that cop, sign guy, and the guy who spits on Big Mexico. Can we rename this series to 91 Assholes? Cause there is a lot of them! Anyways, this was a more light hearted episode that builds the chemistry with Angelo and Nero. Their chemistry together is great and it makes it that much more interesting since Nero is on Angelo's hit list.
TehSnawnJul 30, 2016 9:04 AM

Jul 30, 2016 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
SKP138 said:
We get a little more backstory on Nero who was indeed part of Angelo's family being killed. Nero was even the one who shot Angelo while he was running away from him. I'm sure years later, Nero will get better with his aim.

The comedy bit was a hit for me. It was so old fashioned and basic that it worked well in this type of genre. The kids putting candy in the hat was great, considering that there was a button, candy wrapper, bottle cap, rubber band and a FUCKING GRASSHOPPER!

When Big Mexico got hit by the car his dog had a great reaction. I know this part wasn't intentional, but I found it hilarious that a trained gangster couldn't shoot Big Mexico in the head but random farmer did instead. It made sense since he couldn't kill Angelo with a head shot due to his poor aim. But hey, at least he can juggle!

Also, I've noticed that this show has A LOT of ass holes in it. Even background characters are asshole like that cop, sign guy, and the guy who spits on Big Mexico. Can we rename this series to 91 Assholes? Cause there is a lot of them! Anyways, this was a more light hearted episode that builds the chemistry with Angelo and Nero. Their chemistry together is great and it makes it that much more interesting since Nero is on Angelo's hit list.

I think the fact that it was so called lighthearted actually made the episode the complete opposite of that. Because you know what's to come and you know what their real relationship is, Nero just doesn't know it yet. Nonetheless, I did laugh :)
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 30, 2016 11:21 AM
Apr 2016
This show is great so far. Although the humor in this episode felt slightly out of place, it wasn't without purpose. We're getting to see a different side of the characters and they're slowly forming a good relationship. Can't wait to see what next week's episode brings.
Jul 30, 2016 11:48 AM
Jul 2016
jimbob1141 said:
Man this show is really great. Now we've got the interesting dynamic of really getting close to your enemy and becoming friends with them. Building unintentional relationships that will inevitably come crashing down once he finds out he killed Vanno or once Angelo decides to kill him, if he can.

The scene with the kids was also interesting, seeing him crack a smile. Makes you wonder what his life could have been.

This anime is gonna get emotionally rough. I'm wondering what the reason his father was killed is. It's also quite sad seeing that they are overall decent people, but work is work and you have to do what you have to do. It's a brilliant tale of revenge where you don't really want to see him get his revenge because you actually like the guys he's after.

It actually reminds me of "Sympathy for Mr Vengeance" which i've seen quite recently (It's a Korean film that I highly recommend). especially how some of the shorter scenes in this episode transitioned into one another. And the general themes of the movie.

I think this could be a classic in the making. Cannot wait for next week. is it going to be a 12 episode thing?

Yeah, I haven't seen a revenge story that actually humanizes the person the protagonist wants to kill, and who is getting closer to.
Jul 30, 2016 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
Racist Mexican stereotype terminator wielding dual machetes X_X

Please don't go anime again, show. Stay cool and grounded. Lighthearted atmosphere was a decent change up, but this was silly
Jul 30, 2016 1:01 PM

Oct 2011
whoa damn the Goliath got shot multiple times. Finally went down. Poor dog
Jul 30, 2016 2:29 PM

Apr 2014
The slapstick humor and comedic scenes in this episode was so jarring. Hopefully this is the last time we see an episode like this.
Jul 30, 2016 3:31 PM
Feb 2015
It was pretty intense when nero confessed about killing off angelo's family!!!!
Jul 30, 2016 5:10 PM
May 2015
in this anime characters are quite immortal, also they always miss every single bullet they shoot
Jul 30, 2016 6:32 PM
Sep 2014
It feels like a filler episode because of how far the lightness of this episode compared to the first three ones. It's a really enjoyable episode though.

Weird question, did Avilo's brother die? If this anime is a cliche hodgepodge, I have a feeling he'll show up some time in the future.
Jul 30, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2014
I never expected comedy if this caliber. I seriously laughed my ass off at those pickpocketing tricks, specially the belt. Clearly things are gonna go south the more Avilio and Nero get buddy-like, also there is now a "fourth" guy involved. So my guess Avilio won't off Nero until he can figure who that fourth is, while growing attached to him.

Señor Mexico is quite the behemoth though. Monstrous strength, bestial endurance, and inhuman fighting proficiency? I wonder if there is some stereotype about Mexican brutality making them abnormally strong or something? I mean this guy made me remember this one Mexican boss in an Army of Two game, where he also funnily used knifes, brushed whatever attack you could launch at him like nothing, walked amongst bullets without a damn for the world while using one of his subordinates as human shield, and even kicked a grenade thrown at him while he said was "grrrrrrr".

Sounds very familiar eh? Can somebody confirm any stereotype?
Jul 30, 2016 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
The music continues to be a fantastic unmentioned aspect of this show. I fucking love Angelo as an MC, we get to see a short window of fragility when he almost died. I also love his reactionary fighting style, I wonder if he honed those skills growing up on the streets after his family's murder. Looks like we have 1 more person to add to Angelo's kill list, at this point I'm almost convinced that Nero sent Angelo that letter. I think Nero is playing the fool and frankly is incredibly disturbed by his part in killing Angelo's family when he was just 14. I believe he is "helping" Angelo get his revenge as penance for his own sins.
Jul 30, 2016 10:30 PM

Nov 2012
SKP138 said:

Your aim is much more accurate with a rifle than with a pistol :P
Jul 30, 2016 11:08 PM

Mar 2016
Hehe, that was fun. Different, but still good. It's nice to have something a little less heavy once in a while or the series could get draining.

I'm glad Angelo is getting more personality. His one-track mind was at risk of becoming quite boring.
Jul 31, 2016 12:00 AM

May 2016
Surprised with all the comedic moments here. Big Mexico got kicked in his national treasures and the way he died was brutal. Nero and his confession confirms what they've done. Can't wait for next week~

Jul 31, 2016 2:30 AM

Jun 2012
I was actually kinda hoping this ep kept the serious tone from the previous episode. Especially with the new bad guy that was included. Kinda was expecting an epic fight with intense shit throughout the ep, not just a kick in the dick.. I still enjoyed it, though. It's still definitely my favorite anime this season.
Jul 31, 2016 2:44 AM

Mar 2016
That Mexican guy was creepy :DD
Jul 31, 2016 3:15 AM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
Racist Mexican stereotype terminator wielding dual machetes X_X

Please don't go anime again, show. Stay cool and grounded. Lighthearted atmosphere was a decent change up, but this was silly

Not racist in the slightest
Jul 31, 2016 4:19 AM

Jul 2016
Nero saved from death by Angelo needing to know who the fourth person was.

Now Angelo has to keep him alive to find out who.
Jul 31, 2016 6:25 AM

Sep 2013
This was a SOL type of ep that will lower your guard and when ,if, eventually Avilio betrays Nero, this will have a huge impact. Btw, the diner girl was cute, was expecting a one night stand with our frivolous Nero.
Jul 31, 2016 8:36 AM

Aug 2015
I see they added some comedy in this episode, which is okay but I hope it's not something they'll do every episode. Not saying I didn't enjoy the episode.
Jul 31, 2016 11:24 AM

Jun 2016
Assassin was a stupid brute who used knives exclusively for some reason??? Really bad character but other than that really solid episode, i loved the chemistry and the development of Angelo and Nero. I agree with a lot of the above points in that I wish the episode had a more serious tone, specifically during every scene involving Big Mexico.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsJul 31, 2016 11:29 AM
Jul 31, 2016 3:21 PM

Jun 2011
I'm starting to like this anime more and more.
Nero and Angelo have this nice "tragic bromance setup" going on. Them talking around the campfire was done really well. Angelo pickpocketing and disbelting Nero was super funny. That part where he ran over that Mexican giant was even more funny. Didn't expect that one XD
Jul 31, 2016 7:38 PM

Dec 2013
Like other people are saying, I really enjoyed the balancing feeling of this episode. Calmer episodes like these really help to round out the characters, showing us different sides of them that remind us that they're human. You can't have a show where it's just nonstop violence and intensity if you want your viewers to feel anything legitimate for the characters, in my opinion.

I can already see that I'm probably going to be wrecked by the end of this series. I really like Nero, and I also really like Nero and Avilio together--their "partnership" is really amusing but also kind of endearing, in an unusual way (i.e. how Avilio was so fascinated by Nero's juggling, and then later when he tried to juggle himself). Of course, Avilio's whole mission is to get revenge, so I'm sure I'm gonna have a bad time when that comes to light.

Great episode!
Jul 31, 2016 8:32 PM

Jul 2014
I'm actually really glad they had this calmer, somewhat silly episode. I mean it wasn't just silly for no reason either, you could tell it was going for building a relationship between Nero and Avilio and also progressing the story a bit- giving us the fact that there was a 4th person as well- so it wasn't just a random filler episode.

Yeah I like my mafia stories with angst and drama, but hell they're humans and it's nice to see some comedic moments. I honestly laughed out loud when Avilio ran the assassin over. Their opposite personalities are nice too, makes it all the more fun to see them interact and all the more juicy when they're going to go after each other.

Also nice little nod with the David and goliath story they had in there with our assassin. It's probably a metaphor. Maybe? Who knows!

I'm hoping to see more development between Nero and Avilio and see their dynamic. I'm also curious if they will switch back to what's happening in Lawless with Corteo and the families. Would like to learn more about how they're doing!
Aug 1, 2016 7:35 AM

Jan 2014
Even a gorilla can't stand a kick like this. :P

Don't know how I should feel about this development between Avilio and Nero, after all Avilio wants to kill the latter, well it's still interesting to see this through.
Aug 1, 2016 5:38 PM

Dec 2015
Did Nero really miss 6 shots at that range? or Goliath can take on bullets like 50cent?
Aug 1, 2016 8:02 PM

Mar 2016
AzureHelix said:
Did Nero really miss 6 shots at that range? or Goliath can take on bullets like 50cent?

Guns and bullets doenst work in the same was we see in movies or videogames, especially some revolvers as they have a stupid and huge recoil. Or maybe Nero is bad at shooting. Of course that his mistake was horrible but maybe the show was trying to imitate the reality in some way.

Besides, that guy was a damn beast.
"[...]I have to admit I'm not a big anime fan. Most anime that makes it over here seems to be either about schoolgirls with supernatural powers who battle evil, or adolescent boys who - for some convoluted reason - wind up having to pilot big giant robots...although, today, you just need to put some boobs or harem and fantasy and it'll be 10/10."
Aug 2, 2016 12:14 AM

Oct 2008
Deymn! That Gorillath was unstoppable!
Even Fango would have trouble handling him 1 on 1 (just an example vs)
Poor Beagle just lost his master...
4/5.

Aug 2, 2016 8:30 PM
Dec 2015
If they are trying to humanize Nero then I think it's a bad idea to include his flashback on the night of the murder while talking to Angelo. The scenes with the kids made him look a hypocrite.

Still, there are 4 that night. Who is the other one? Why do I have the nagging feeling it's Corteo...as illogical as it may seem.
Aug 2, 2016 8:51 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty good episode, felt like filler though
Aug 2, 2016 8:57 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Not every ep has to be 100% relevant to the plot, I like character focused stuff.
Aug 3, 2016 6:41 AM

Oct 2013
REALLY LOVED THIS EPISODE
But just wondering what happened between 3 and 4? Did i miss something?
We went from Angelo killing one of the people who murdered his family to.
On the run from the family.....
Remind me: who were the ones (4th not yet named or showned) that killed Angelos family?
Aug 3, 2016 8:37 PM
Feb 2016
I still have no idea why the Mexican's name is Mad Mac...
Aug 4, 2016 12:28 AM

Jul 2013
Mexican sombrero was funny. Still tho, hard to think he could survive all of that. Hope the show will stay grounded in later eps.
Aug 4, 2016 10:38 PM

Nov 2012
this episode was a bit different from the others, but i liked it. nothing wrong with a breather episode like this if it's an entertaining one.
Aug 5, 2016 1:21 AM
Sep 2013
A great episode which I watched for a second time before the 5th episode comes out tomorrow.

I loved the dark mood the first two episodes had set, and to contrast the less satisfying Day 3, Day 4 brightens the mood; it resets out emotions and expectations because you can only go so deep, dark and depressing. In all its mystery, the light change of tone definitely sets us up for Day 5, and this could go anyway, from continuing on Avilio's plot for revenge, or trying to get out alive from being chased.

If no one has noticed, or would like to enhance their understanding and in fact, the importance of episode 4, then let this post be the one.

This episode was really important because several times throughout the episode, we're revealed the sides of Avilio, formerly Angelo, we don't know exist. As calculating and as scheming as he is, Avilio is still amateur at many things, like driving. This is shown to be true through his and Nero's dialogue: Avilio driving slow to avoid crashing again, Nero low on cash because of the crash, Avilio failing to pull the clutch before he breaks as they arrive at the auto camp.

Upon arriving at the auto camp, Avilio has his moments when seeing and interacting with children. He's obviously reminded of his younger brother, as well as his childhood, both of which their times cut short. Having his childhood taken away from him so soon, he seemed to never really developed the social side of things, being blatantly cold with Nero, and awkward when a child asks to take the fallen lollies at Avilio's feet, and when the kids give all sorts of small gifts to him when he openly performs the act of pickpocketing with Nero as his victim.

This episode really helps draw the kind of parallels that exist between Nero and Avilio. Nero's bright, goofy and carefree personality can be depicted by his ability to juggle, and his want to entertain those children with that act. Avilio on the other hand, untrusting, sneaking and careful with what he reveals depicted by his ability to pickpocket, and later revealed how he became a gangster (explains why he can handle weaponry and pickpocket as well as he can).
Aug 5, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Woah, this episode was so over the top I enjoyed it a lot. The mexican dude was very OP, not even after being stabbed he died, lol. They should have aid to the head, always to the head.
On the other hand, we elarned there were four people during the night when Angelo's parents died. I think the dude who gave that letter to Angelo is very suspicious respecting this...

I love the dynamic between Angelo and Nero. There are such a very different, but still funny duo. Loved especially Nero's outgoing personality, he is very amusing to see.

This has been very good so far. Hope the series maintains this level.
Aug 6, 2016 7:25 PM

Sep 2015
The Mexican is a TANK!!! Nice to see the dog get a home and our MC's get a new ride as well.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Aug 6, 2016 10:23 PM

Jul 2008
Welp, Nero is a dead man.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2016

449 by pontes13 »»
Apr 3, 4:31 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2016

183 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 14, 11:38 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

213 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 11, 12:53 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

119 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 8, 7:21 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

210 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 5, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.