Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2016 7:14 PM

Mar 2016
What's make the reviews in anime(also manga) has labeled 'good review' in your opinion??

*In my own opinion ,good review is:(on anime)
1. Have both positive sides and negatives sides in one review
If the reviewer has rated the anime is 'good'(up to 7).They must mentioned the negative sides of the anime that reviewed ,and if the reviewer has rated the anime is 'bad' (under 6).The must mentioned positive sides of the anime that reviewed too.

Positive and negative sides has covered : the characters,plot(if the series have plot),story,sound,CV,graphic(including colouring,background,etc),and what's 'special' in the series

2. Not contain spoiler
As you know,spoiler is mostly bad for all series.If the review have spoiler,it's can only read to someone that completed the series

3. Time the review has made
I guess the review that make right after the series is end(for seasonal anime) will left a impression because the reviewer should watch it every week compared that the reviewer that watch the series at all in one day

*I'm new here,so i'll accept the critics and advices for better
*My english is not good,so there must have 'R.I.P grammar'...:)

Jul 21, 2016 7:17 PM

Jun 2015
1. Has its points backed up
2. Has balanced appraisals and criticisms
3. Doesn't restate the synopsis
4. Avoids usage of the word "overrated" at all costs
Jul 21, 2016 7:18 PM

May 2016
1. Is mine.
2. Is mine.
3. Is mine.
4. Is mine.

Any questions?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 21, 2016 7:21 PM

Aug 2010
I don't like review that goes out of subject.

"One of the most annoying things about the anime industry is the seemingly ingrained belief that bandwagons, when jumped upon, have the mystical ability to carry studios into money..."

I just have to read this first line to give up...on the review.

I also hate review that sort of tries to justify the low score because of that one fanservice scene. Because fanservice is bad, I mean everyone here on MAL knows that, that's why you shouldn't watch it. That's why I rated it low, other than that it was good, but you know, there's fanservice in it!! ...

I don't care.
Saoji-Jul 21, 2016 7:25 PM
Jul 21, 2016 7:33 PM

Jan 2008
I've always disliked reviews where the creator states something along the lines of apologizing for things and that it's their first review. What are they expecting? Pity points?
Jul 21, 2016 7:43 PM

Jan 2014
I generally like reviews that are just honest & concise.

If its too long I just don't want to read all of it. Also I don't want to read why they gave art 10/10 or sound 7/10, I just want to read their feelings about watching the show or their experience with it. Perhaps what they liked about it, or what surprised them about the show. I'm more interested in reading the merits of the show rather than reading about its faults.

Like I don't want to know who created the show, which studio did it, why its iconic, why some episodes were like this, why this show sucks compared to this show, what the budget was, like all of that is too extra for me in a review.

Oh and also the first few lines of words or sentences are really important IMO in order to grab someone's attention.
anonypcJul 21, 2016 7:55 PM
Jul 22, 2016 6:13 AM

Apr 2016
1. Delves deep into the reasons why a series is mostly good/bad (not just IT GOOD/BAD OK BYE!, or 1 paragraph)
2. Covers all aspects of a series.
3. Allows showings of both strong and weak points of a show
4. Announces if there are spoilers ahead, that way no one accidentally spoils themselves thanks to your review.
5. Presents accurate information and viable interpretation of the subject at hand.
Jul 22, 2016 6:18 AM

Apr 2014
1. gives shows like tonkatsu dj agetarou a 10 and praises its artstyle.
2. uses "autistic" as an insult when the op hasn't even researched about it.
3. hardly any constructive criticism, the op just talks about how much the show sucked.
Jul 22, 2016 6:26 AM
Sep 2015
Zelkiiro said:
1. Is mine.
2. Is mine.
3. Is mine.
4. Is mine.

Any questions?

Who's was it again?

OT: Don't have anything more to add @kirisakitrash pretty much covered it all.
Jul 22, 2016 6:49 AM

Feb 2016
anonypc said:
I generally like reviews that are just honest & concise.

If its too long I just don't want to read all of it. Also I don't want to read why they gave art 10/10 or sound 7/10, I just want to read their feelings about watching the show or their experience with it. Perhaps what they liked about it, or what surprised them about the show. I'm more interested in reading the merits of the show rather than reading about its faults.

Like I don't want to know who created the show, which studio did it, why its iconic, why some episodes were like this, why this show sucks compared to this show, what the budget was, like all of that is too extra for me in a review.

Oh and also the first few lines of words or sentences are really important IMO in order to grab someone's attention.

100% this. Too many people try to write objective reviews by trying to give a numerical rating to every aspect of the show; but since, as we all know, objectivity in reviews doesn't exist, I'd rather just read about someone's experience and feelings of the show.
Jul 22, 2016 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
- Doesn't use ad hominem against the fans/haters of the show in question.
- Backs up its points without just using words as praise/criticism.
- Doesn't "waffle" or meander
- Recognizes what the show is trying to do, and whether it succeeds or not
Take care of yourself

Jul 22, 2016 11:51 AM

Sep 2014
What I dislike the most about reviews is the unfounded claim just like that
"ART 10/10 it's MADHOUSE! Enough said!"

or when the review neglects completely what the anime is about and uses some events of the anime to explains how the anime failed at portraying something which isn't at all the point of the anime. Just for the sake of justifying a low score.
Jul 23, 2016 5:00 AM

May 2015
AltoRoark said:
1. Has its points backed up
2. Has balanced appraisals and criticisms
3. Doesn't restate the synopsis
4. Avoids usage of the word "overrated" at all costs

I don't like the whole 'both negatives and positives', since sometimes the negatives are redundant. It isn't worth talking about how Digimon Tamers has a 1-2 extra episodes, or how Cowboy Bebop's final episodes are a drop in quality. It's not as interesting as anything else.

A review should be interesting, most of all. It should have a point, it should do more than consumer's advice. Don't just talk about whether the series is good or not. Connect it to ideas and genres. Make the review informative as possible on things other than the show.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 23, 2016 5:22 PM

Oct 2015
razortongue said:

This is probably the most overlooked part in writing reviews.

Even the most "generic" shows can be trying to do something unique, it's just that they have poor execution which results in them feeling generic.
Jul 24, 2016 1:01 AM

May 2015
Lobinde said:
razortongue said:

This is probably the most overlooked part in writing reviews.

Even the most "generic" shows can be trying to do something unique, it's just that they have poor execution which results in them feeling generic.

I don't think it's poor execution that hides the uniqueness. It's because these shows don't do anything with their unique traits. I just finished Mashiro-iro Symphony and it didn't play with its serene tone which was its highlight.

But yes, it's important in your review to address how the anime is supposed to work. Sometimes an anime can have different aims and the more you address, the better.
Jul 24, 2016 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
If you don't have the ability to construct a well written logical review that touches all the main points

Unique fun ones are the way
Jul 24, 2016 11:00 AM

Feb 2015
none... they just don't exist... on MAL... they don't... No one can seem to be able to control their hype or hate and write a review based on what it is... meaning... you have the "OMG IM BLEEDING FROM HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SHIT OMG IM GOING INTO CARDIAC ARREST SHIT HALP OMG WATCH THIS ANIME" and then theres the "its so shit omg so shit I hate it, so shit man its soooo shit man"
Jul 25, 2016 7:35 AM

May 2015
Kaneki-Uta said:
none... they just don't exist... on MAL... they don't... No one can seem to be able to control their hype or hate and write a review based on what it is... meaning... you have the "OMG IM BLEEDING FROM HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SHIT OMG IM GOING INTO CARDIAC ARREST SHIT HALP OMG WATCH THIS ANIME" and then theres the "its so shit omg so shit I hate it, so shit man its soooo shit man"

Not really.

Most reviews here are just too small. There's a synopsis, a few positive/negative words and that's it.
Jul 25, 2016 7:43 AM

Jul 2016
What makes a good review?

- You don't apologize for your opinion, like I care if it's your first review, you saying that automatically makes me skip your review.
- Saying there's spoilers in the review when it was clearly stated no fucking spoilers in a review. Fucking mal.
- Stating "facts" without actual evidence.
- Saying shit like "I don't get the hype around the show" or "It doesn't deserve its score" or "The show is underrated, I don't get it". No one gives a fuck if you don't get it, there's a reason it's popular, there's a reason it's overlooked and there's a reason it has the score it has. Stating that bullshit isn't a review. Morons.

You write a review to either convince people to watch the show or to stay away from it in a proper manner with facts and reasons. We don't want to see you complain about how it's undeserving of its score.
Jul 25, 2016 9:26 AM

Aug 2010
as long as the review explains his opinions well and has examples.
i think its a decent enough review, even if someone disagrees with everything the review say.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 25, 2016 9:36 AM

Mar 2015
I like small reviews, that says directly the necessary, these are the only ones I have patience to read.
Jul 25, 2016 10:01 AM

Feb 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Kaneki-Uta said:

Not really.

Most reviews here are just too small. There's a synopsis, a few positive/negative words and that's it.

Exactly its either positive or negative ....
Jul 25, 2016 12:17 PM

Dec 2012
The best review I can think of would look like this:

"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 25, 2016 12:22 PM

Feb 2015
1.Has logical/acceptable reasons why the person dislike or like a certain series
2.No shit talking about the fanbase or the anime.
3.Show a little bit manner in words.
4.Even if you dislike or hate the show, refrain to insult, or badmouth the anime because it might offend other people.
Jul 25, 2016 1:29 PM

May 2016
I think there are a lot of kinds of reviews, but I personally like those that have a central theme and idea behind it. In other words, the review focuses on a particular aspect that's standout from the content in question.

As a side note, there are a lot of long winded reviews that I think just ramble and end up not really having anything really important to say. They also end up falling back on predictable criticisms and axioms and are overall just boring to read. I think overall, having good prose is just as important in writing a review as writing creatively.
Jul 26, 2016 9:04 AM

May 2015
Yudina said:
I think there are a lot of kinds of reviews, but I personally like those that have a central theme and idea behind it. In other words, the review focuses on a particular aspect that's standout from the content in question.

As a side note, there are a lot of long winded reviews that I think just ramble and end up not really having anything really important to say. They also end up falling back on predictable criticisms and axioms and are overall just boring to read. I think overall, having good prose is just as important in writing a review as writing creatively.

I agree. I find reading and writing reviews without a point to be boring and useless. It's very hard for me to review something unless I'm talking about more than what I'm reviewing. Everything is connected and everything matters.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

26 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by zoeanime13 »»
9 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 33 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
22 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 5 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.