Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Taboo Tattoo
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 21, 2016 8:10 AM

Mar 2015
So after having read up to chapter 39 and seen up to chapter 52 I can honestly say it was a little disappointing and I can't see a sequel happening. The action is always there but everything feels like it's lacking.

Listing a couple of things that I didn't like so major spoilers

I originally picked this up because I thought it was going to be a great action series but it became boring. I'd like to see where it ends up but having no english translation for chapters after 39 suck.
Jul 21, 2016 10:12 AM
Jul 2015
vong10 said:
So after having read up to chapter 39 and seen up to chapter 52 I can honestly say it was a little disappointing and I can't see a sequel happening. The action is always there but everything feels like it's lacking.

Listing a couple of things that I didn't like so major spoilers

I originally picked this up because I thought it was going to be a great action series but it became boring. I'd like to see where it ends up but having no english translation for chapters after 39 suck.

Wow...that sounds bad. I thought it was a decent anime from the 3 episodes I've seen, but if it becomes like this, I may have to consider dropping it.
Jul 21, 2016 10:22 AM

Mar 2015
Don't get me wrong it's a great show for now, plenty of action coming with Lisa's introduction. Just saying it might get boring after the season is over (12 eps?) There was so much dialogue about crests/kingdom/princess/army in the manga and that's what bore me.
Jul 21, 2016 11:42 AM

Apr 2009
Is there any romance in the manga?
Jul 21, 2016 11:53 AM

Jan 2011
So the AOT effect?

Wow....this sucks......and Izzy got Yang'd.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 21, 2016 8:51 PM

Mar 2015
Pisak said:

There is some but nothing that shows development.

As for if there's anything betweenn Izzy and Seigi, I'm pretty sure nothing is going on between them.
vong10Jul 21, 2016 9:08 PM
Jul 21, 2016 9:04 PM

Apr 2009
vong10 said:
Pisak said:

There is some but nothing that shows development.

Oh, this is really disappointing. Well, at least ppl are dying in the series.
PisakJul 29, 2016 9:22 AM
Jul 21, 2016 9:18 PM

Mar 2015
Pisak said:

Oh, this is really disappointing. Well, at least ppl are dying in the series.

Yeah the relationships are sloppy. Izzy only shows concern for Seigi becasue he's gone 'dark'. Tom's the only guy that never gets injured lol but he's still funny.

Check out chapter 33 and 34. It's the time skip and when Tom loses his shit after someone destroyed is Otaku collection.

Would you mind editing your post? I forgot to close the spoiler.
Jul 21, 2016 9:24 PM

Jan 2008
I only read it a while back and honestly don't remember much from the manga as it was quite forgettable. The anime though, I'm all for sakuga fight scenes and enjoying light ecchi too.

Can't really figure out a stopping point for the anime, feels like it would stop in the middle of something important with how much episodes it has and what its shown in the opening.
Jul 21, 2016 9:58 PM

May 2015
The manga is just bad, imo.... witch doesn't come as a surprise, especially with how the author has been handling the story and characters so far. Frankly, I can’t fathom how this got an adaptation after all this time, but it is what it is (good for the fans though).

I have read up to chapter 35 and had to put it on-hold because all the (not-in-a-good-way) nonsense that was happening. Honestly, I might as well drop it since I doubt I will keep reading it afterwards. I will be finishing the anime though.

What do I think about the anime?
Not much, it’s basically like the manga. The pace might be faster (I believe episode 1 adapted +90 pages of content), but whatever... I think the anime handles the comedy bits worse than the manga though. And even though the fan-service is kept the same, the anime makes it seems more noticeable and in-your-face (at least to me).

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 23, 2016 10:48 PM

Jan 2011
zero-r said:
The manga is just bad, imo.... witch doesn't come as a surprise, especially with how the author has been handling the story and characters so far. Frankly, I can’t fathom how this got an adaptation after all this time, but it is what it is (good for the fans though).

I have read up to chapter 35 and had to put it on-hold because all the (not-in-a-good-way) nonsense that was happening. Honestly, I might as well drop it since I doubt I will keep reading it afterwards. I will be finishing the anime though.

What do I think about the anime?
Not much, it’s basically like the manga. The pace might be faster (I believe episode 1 adapted +90 pages of content), but whatever... I think the anime handles the comedy bits worse than the manga though. And even though the fan-service is kept the same, the anime makes it seems more noticeable and in-your-face (at least to me).
How? Dude these companies turn anything into animation if they know it can sell and make them some money.
Jul 25, 2016 12:28 PM
Jun 2014
The manga is basically a "popcorn manga". Action > Everything else.
On the whole scale, it's probably around 5-6/10 for me, so it didn't bother me that much, when those mentioned things happened. At least not all of them...

As for the question, the anime is a good, satisfying adaptation, maybe even slightly improves on the source material, but with a slight censorship on the nastier scenes.
- The action scenes are well presented.
- The fanservice was toned down for the better.
- The opponent from Episode 1 got a complete redesign.
In the manga, he is your "typical" gangster looking american guy, while in the anime, he looks like an agent that is more convincing for me to at least try to take this seriously.
- Some of the sudden jokes that completely changes the mood are cut out.
In the manga, after Izzy and Seigi fought a bit for training, Izzy activated a training robot out of nowhere, that of course, completely wrecked Seigi. Then came the whole segment where Tom explained the removable and unremovable spell crests.

So yeah, the source material is not that great to begin with, so don't blame the anime, if it didn't become something special. Heck, even the anime was announced way back in 2015 January and it took 1.5 years for it to finally air.
Jul 26, 2016 8:37 PM

May 2009
SogiitaGunha said:

And despite that it's not popular. I wonder why?
Jul 27, 2016 9:00 AM
Jun 2014
bastek66 said:
SogiitaGunha said:

And despite that it's not popular. I wonder why?

Popularity is a subjective matter. How well should the manga sell to be considered "popular"?
It's serialized in Monthly Comic Alive. The magazine mainly has light novel adaptations. A ton of light novel adaptations. Outiside of those, the most popular series from the magazine in probably Non Non Biyori. And Non Non Biyori "only" sold like a total of 1,3 million copies after 9 volumes, so the avarage is a little more than 130.000 per volume. And it's even have a successful anime adaptation.

But the anime may achieve a visible boost for Taboo Tattoo to make the weekly rankings. We shall see whenever the next volume comes out.
Jul 27, 2016 11:09 AM
Jul 2015
Honestly, please can anyone explain to me how the Anime of Taboo Tattoo can only get 12 episodes???
I've read the manga till the last translated chapter (39) and until then, there happens so much!
I really can't believe how this all should fit into 12 episodes. More the less after all that I've seen in the opening of the Anime. The Anime seems to cover up the story to at least chapter 39!

Or am I wrong???
Jul 27, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2015
Fall-Moon said:
Honestly, please can anyone explain to me how the Anime of Taboo Tattoo can only get 12 episodes???
I've read the manga till the last translated chapter (39) and until then, there happens so much!
I really can't believe how this all should fit into 12 episodes. More the less after all that I've seen in the opening of the Anime. The Anime seems to cover up the story to at least chapter 39!

Or am I wrong???

Episode count usually goes by how many chapters are released. Always need more chapters out than episodes because of timing I think cause this is a slow release (once a month?) Shingeki No Kyojin for example, that aired like 3 years ago and there's only just enough chapters out to cover the second season next year.

Anyways I think this is going to end with the Island raid, makes the most sense there. They're not going to cover up to chapter 39, they probably could if it were 24 episodes.
Jul 27, 2016 11:57 AM
Jun 2014
Maybe it will be a split cour, we don't know that yet. The chances are slim, but with only 12 episodes, indicating DAT as the ending, this will surely leave a sour taste in people's mouth. Unless they go for an anime original ending, of course.
Aug 2, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2011
5 episodes in.....and I hope it doesn't get a second season and they shitcan the manga...this super bad.
Aug 3, 2016 5:23 AM

Aug 2011
MasterHavik said:
5 episodes in.....and I hope it doesn't get a second season and they shitcan the manga...this super bad.

I agree. Animation start become shit on ep5 and transition is so bad. I don't understand what's going on.
Aug 3, 2016 7:00 AM

Jan 2011
CrazyFrogz said:
MasterHavik said:

I agree. Animation start become shit on ep5 and transition is so bad. I don't understand what's going on.
This guy just wanted to get the otakus and kids watching his anime and buying his books.
Aug 3, 2016 10:36 AM

May 2009
MasterHavik said:
CrazyFrogz said:

This guy just wanted to get the otakus and kids watching his anime and buying his books.

Why kids? Manga is seinen.
Aug 3, 2016 10:44 AM

Jan 2011
bastek66 said:
MasterHavik said:

Some of the dialogue from Bluesy and Izzy scream kids to me, but the kids market in Japan is very weird compared to the American one. I mean AOT is consider a kids show.
Aug 3, 2016 3:08 PM

May 2009
MasterHavik said:
bastek66 said:

Some of the dialogue from Bluesy and Izzy scream kids to me, but the kids market in Japan is very weird compared to the American one. I mean AOT is consider a kids show.

No it isn't. Kids' shows air at daytime. Stop confusing manga demographics as any indicator of content seriousness/maturity/tone/etc.
Aug 3, 2016 4:22 PM

Jan 2011
bastek66 said:
MasterHavik said:

No it isn't. Kids' shows air at daytime. Stop confusing manga demographics as any indicator of content seriousness/maturity/tone/etc.
Okay then. Sorry the demographics and genres of anime sometimes confuses me.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

120 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 1:09 PM

» Does anyone know why this anime has this hate and low ratings

Naveen6662246 - Apr 3

12 by Redetzky »»
Apr 7, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

188 by ryzxgum »»
Mar 3, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

138 by Komlan_6 »»
Dec 27, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Taboo Tattoo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

96 by Komlan_6 »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.