Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2016 8:10 PM

Jun 2016
Hello, everyone. Quick question.
Okay, so, just a few months ago, I've started becoming a "full-time" PC gamer, meaning I play PC way more often than my consoles now.
However, my PC, while it has excellent performance on browsers (I use Chrome) and the like, it's nothing special when it comes to gaming. (HL2, CSS and GTA SA work very smoothly with slight lag obviously in the more crowded/detailed areas; FO3 and NV work smoothly indoors while it gets pretty laggy in their respective wastelands; FO4 often just crashes. Most of the time when I get it to start, it can get to the loading screen for New Game. Farthest I got was character creation)
I've never built a PC before, but I'm tech savvy, so I'm sure I'd be able to.
TL;DR Current PC's okay but not great for [modern] gaming; what's cheaper and/or more reliable, building or buying a PC?
"Kaz, I'm already a sea man. Arrrgh."
Jun 28, 2016 8:15 PM

Jul 2015
Building is obviously significantly cheaper, but requires effort.

If you're not bothered/lack the knowledge, and really don't mind spending 100-200 more, buy out.

But if your budget is tight, build.

OP, please wait for AMD's RX 480 if you're building and on a somewhat limited budget.
Living is a velleity, because ice cream is life.

Jun 28, 2016 8:30 PM

Jun 2016
SympathyDolphin said:
Building is obviously significantly cheaper, but requires effort.

If you're not bothered/lack the knowledge, and really don't mind spending 100-200 more, buy out.

But if your budget is tight, build.

OP, please wait for AMD's RX 480 if you're building and on a somewhat limited budget.

Yeah, I knew building would be cheaper. I mean, duh, right? No offense intended, just saying that it should be obvious to just about anyone.
That said, I'm going to start working soon (just turned 16) and I'm planning on buying a PS4 to be able to play some of the games I also wanted for PC early as well as nab some exclusives (MGS5, FO4, Uncharted 4) while I save up for the PC.
Jun 28, 2016 10:32 PM

Nov 2014
1. MGS5 and FO4 are not exclusives.
2. don't waste money if your current pc can still run games
3. don't build a pc yourself unless you have experience or you know a specific premade build
if you buy wrong components that are not good with each other your computer might not work at it's best.

Jun 28, 2016 10:37 PM
Apr 2013
Buy is cheaper if you factor in the OS and the whole computer, not just whatever things within your PC casing.

Build is cheaper if you already have preexisting peripherals. Plus, they are easier to upgrade.
Jun 28, 2016 11:20 PM

Sep 2007
Build will be cheaper in the long run. Just do the research on the necessary parts and know how to budget.
Jun 29, 2016 3:10 AM

Jun 2016
ExTemplar said:
1. MGS5 and FO4 are not exclusives.
2. don't waste money if your current pc can still run games
3. don't build a pc yourself unless you have experience or you know a specific premade build
if you buy wrong components that are not good with each other your computer might not work at it's best.

1. I said games that I also want for PC AND exclusives.
2. Gotcha.
3. Fair enough.
Jun 29, 2016 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
My one is built and it was a much better decision to do that instead of buying it, as some of the people above said research it and work on a budget. It does require more effort though for sure
Jun 29, 2016 3:16 AM

Sep 2009
Build; it's as easy as plugging cords in and sticking parts together (which is quite a bit more cost efficient). If all else fails, google or youtube can get you anywhere.
Last time I checked, you can get a free version of windows 10, which is pretty much the same as the purchased version.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 29, 2016 3:33 AM

Jun 2016
Thanks for the help, everyone.
I'll most likely build anyway. Seems like fun and it'd leave me with some money to blow on a game or two, hopefully.

Can't wait to see Tracer's ass in glorious Ultra graphics. ;v;
Jun 29, 2016 6:02 AM

Jan 2013
Building helps you get more intimate with your computer and gives you much more knowledge of computers than buying will. Considering it's about as easy as playing with legos, and often cheaper if you know where to look, there's really no argument for buying a computer prebuilt unless you're a lazy bum
Jun 29, 2016 10:28 AM

Jul 2015
What computer are you currently using? You may be able to salvage some components.
Jun 29, 2016 2:28 PM

Jun 2016
Syrup- said:
Building helps you get more intimate with your computer and gives you much more knowledge of computers than buying will. Considering it's about as easy as playing with legos, and often cheaper if you know where to look, there's really no argument for buying a computer prebuilt unless you're a lazy bum

That's exactly what I thought, and honestly why I want to build.
Also, I'm sure most people who buy aren't necessarily lazy, most likely just inexperienced. Like most people say, there's Google and YouTube, but still, there's no shame in it.
Jun 29, 2016 2:30 PM

Jun 2016
scruf4ls said:
What computer are you currently using? You may be able to salvage some components.

It's some all-in-one desktop, HP Pavilion 20.
In retrospect, I probably should've never expected it to be a gamer's paradise.
But yeah, that's it. I feel pretty embarrassed now-
Jun 29, 2016 2:37 PM

Jan 2013
Kumie said:
Syrup- said:

Also, I'm sure most people who buy aren't necessarily lazy, most likely just inexperienced. Like most people say, there's Google and YouTube, but still, there's no shame in it.
Well that's mostly why I used the word laziness. People seem to have an aversion to learning about technology for some reason. Maybe it's because it's easy for me, but I see it more as a laziness than an inability to comprehend.
Jun 29, 2016 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
Syrup- said:
Kumie said:

Well that's mostly why I used the word laziness. People seem to have an aversion to learning about technology for some reason. Maybe it's because it's easy for me, but I see it more as a laziness than an inability to comprehend.

Oh, yeah, I see where you're coming from.
Kind of like how the people in my home call me when they accidentally press the power button on the damn remote since I'm the "tech genius".
Jun 29, 2016 3:08 PM

Jul 2015
Kumie said:
scruf4ls said:

You can probably salvage the ram and hard drive. Google before you attempt it though.

. But do a lot of research. To get the exact performance you need. Because its pointless to buy a gtx 1080 if you got a 720p monitor.
Jun 29, 2016 3:17 PM

Jun 2016
scruf4ls said:
Kumie said:

You can probably salvage the ram and hard drive. Google before you attempt it though.

. But do a lot of research. To get the exact performance you need. Because its pointless to buy a gtx 1080 if you got a 720p monitor.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the advice!
You sound like you know your stuff.
Jun 29, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2007
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ when you want to start playing with prices after you have an idea of what you want to get and how big of a budget you want to blow.
Jun 29, 2016 3:25 PM

Jul 2015
Kumie said:
scruf4ls said:

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the advice!
You sound like you know your stuff.

well i did about 2 months of research before settling on the parts. i advise buying your monitor first. to determine which graphics card you need. you might even be able to get away with using an igpu/apu depending on the resolution of your monitor. and types of games you play.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys play the Nintendo 3ds and Ps Vita in 2024?

DesuMaiden - May 11

16 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 hour ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3544 by juanlqr »»
2 hours ago

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

26 by rey_n »»
9 hours ago

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - May 12

7 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
Yesterday, 5:42 PM

» It is only rational to be paranoid these days of cybercriminals

DesuMaiden - May 11

6 by AdamBirch »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.