Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 27, 2016 10:50 AM

Apr 2014
I hated his character from the start.

though I kinda get where they're trying to go and convey with his character, it doesn't mean I sympathize with him.

from the very start he's an exaggerated portrayal of a guy stuck in another world. His humanity is so surreal that it's almost stage drama.

so whenever development comes its like a major shift, with almost, always with a cathartic moment.

but I guess that's just how the show works. People like to see other people suffer I guess. XD
BernieSorbetJun 27, 2016 10:55 AM
Jun 27, 2016 12:07 PM

Jul 2010
Rayla said:
I don't hate him because he is the most realistic main character in this sort of fantasy setting anime.

He has flaws just like every other human.

I admire his determination and will power, and I grew to enjoy his character even more because we got to see him at his lowest.

Subaru is human.

He is not perfect.

That's fine.

He isn't Kirito, and I like that.

He isn't an over-powered badass that gets his way thanks to the help of deus-ex-machima.

He doesn't always get the girl.

He has flaws, just like we have flaws.

Subaru is human.

Subaru is Subaru.

THIS.

He loves only one person and dedicates his life for her.
Jun 27, 2016 12:10 PM

Nov 2009
Apparently in the light novel (or the web novel? I forgot if they're the same) Subaru is scarier and more of a delinquent. I wish he was like that in the anime too... his personality is definitely aggravating, specially in episode 13 (so much cringe). But I don't necessarily dislike him.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jun 27, 2016 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
L3l3 said:
author intended him to be annoying since he is just human, i hoped u realize the genius characterization the author put on the MC now that is rare on anime these day's the "predictable fantasy MC save them all and wish for nothing in return" bull shit are gone.

I respect your opinion, but from my side of the table there is a difference between being mentally broken and going full retard. Regardless of either of our opinions, a valid cause does not negate the effects. Just because terrible whining and crying comes from a child doesn't make it any less obnoxious. Just because you were kicked in the balls by a child doesn't make it any less painful. Just because a toddler goes and trips an old lady on the street doesn't make it acceptable behavior. Just because Subaru is mentally broken doesn't mean it is acceptable to make him go full retard. Going full retard due to a broken mind, while "human", is not something that happens often in reality, and it is obnoxious for a wide range of the viewing audience. It is a writer's every right to make a story as realistic as possible, but that doesn't mean it will appeal to the audience.

The extent of his white knight syndrome is simply too much, and Emilia isn't asking any questions or even trying to understand the situation that Subaru is in. I will give credit where credit is due, however, and fully acknowledge that I do appreciate what the author was trying to do here. I just find it poorly executed due to some over-exaggeration issues and a weak supporting cast (from an emotional support perspective).
Jun 27, 2016 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
Shirasho said:
L3l3 said:
author intended him to be annoying since he is just human, i hoped u realize the genius characterization the author put on the MC now that is rare on anime these day's the "predictable fantasy MC save them all and wish for nothing in return" bull shit are gone.

I respect your opinion, but from my side of the table there is a difference between being mentally broken and going full retard. Regardless of either of our opinions, a valid cause does not negate the effects. Just because terrible whining and crying comes from a child doesn't make it any less obnoxious. Just because you were kicked in the balls by a child doesn't make it any less painful. Just because a toddler goes and trips an old lady on the street doesn't make it acceptable behavior. Just because Subaru is mentally broken doesn't mean it is acceptable to make him go full retard. Going full retard due to a broken mind, while "human", is not something that happens often in reality, and it is obnoxious for a wide range of the viewing audience. It is a writer's every right to make a story as realistic as possible, but that doesn't mean it will appeal to the audience.

The extent of his white knight syndrome is simply too much, and Emilia isn't asking any questions or even trying to understand the situation that Subaru is in. I will give credit where credit is due, however, and fully acknowledge that I do appreciate what the author was trying to do here. I just find it poorly executed due to some over-exaggeration issues and a weak supporting cast (from an emotional support perspective).

I don't think anyone was denying any of that. It's fully intentional, and yes it makes us cringe. It's not poorly executed in respect to him going full retard if we're not supposed to actually sympathize with him in this episode. It should be clear that it's showing the side of Subaru he kept bottled up, especially when he told Emilia that she owes him more than what she can repay. Emilia did ask him many questions, but he's unable to actually answer them and/or his behaviors contradict what he says (his promises). Nobody is denying that he went full retard this episode, just many of us believe it to be very purposeful showing his fatal flaws leading into the events yet to occur.

If he doesn't change for the better from this experience in future episodes, then we can come back to this discussion and say how you were right.
Jun 27, 2016 7:40 PM

Apr 2014
DoctorWasabi said:
RoyTF said:
I mean i like subaru but sometime he act so stupid which is really annoying,can we expect a bit maturity in his character or he'll be like this throughout the series ;3

Hey OP, you wanna know something that your missing ? He's HUMAN. He's not a perfect person who can do everything perfectly.

Seriously OP.....

The same could be said for Makoto from School Days but not nearly as many people come to his defense for some reason ...
The double standards are real.
Jun 27, 2016 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
Extremely annoying, took everything I had to not drop this after watching the ending of the last episode. The MC is such a god damn spaz.
Jun 27, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2014
Protaku said:
DoctorWasabi said:

Hey OP, you wanna know something that your missing ? He's HUMAN. He's not a perfect person who can do everything perfectly.

Seriously OP.....

The same could be said for Makoto from School Days but not nearly as many people come to his defense for some reason ...
The double standards are real.

What? bro don't compare School Days with Re Zero

Shuhan said:
Extremely annoying, took everything I had to not drop this after watching the ending of the last episode. The MC is such a god damn spaz.

-Says this
-Looks at his favorites
-Eren Yeager

Jun 27, 2016 9:32 PM

Jan 2016

"Why doesn't anyone like me?! I'm such a nice guy!"
Jun 27, 2016 10:41 PM

May 2010
FragOutFire said:

"Why doesn't anyone like me?! I'm such a nice guy!"

Go back to the asylum. lmao

Dang it hope I hope his birthday is wrong. Curse you Subaru...
Air-DragonJun 27, 2016 10:59 PM
Jun 28, 2016 12:41 AM

Jun 2013
Fappa said:
lucidbrandon said:
This weeks episode was the final nail in the coffin. I actually don't dislike the guy but this week was the first time I cringed at a something in an anime in a long time. I don't know if thats just because I really love this show or something but holy fuck he got me with how much he was screwing himself

But honestly, is this even bad? It's no easy task to let a character mess up in a way that affects you as a reader/viewer. He really kicked himself of the cliff and is now at the rock bottom. While it may be hard to stomach at first, if you give it some thought then it's absolutely hunane and opens the door for what will be extremely good character Development.

hells yeah, I do really enjoy this show and its been a long time since an anime last got me this good haha. I have high hopes that this is going places
Jun 28, 2016 1:19 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah one of the most annoying chars I have ever seen in anime over the last few years. Would be on top of the worst chars ever if there was a "worst chars" list for profiles - in my profile ha ha.

I know it is exaggerated behaviour to make him suppress the bad feelings he has because because he dies and others forget about him.

But does that make it less annoying? For me after episode 8 it was just too much so I dropped.

I prefer good chars that are not annoying. Madan no Ou to Vanadis and GATE had better chars. For GATE the main was extemely good (one of the best male mains in a fantasy setting world) - he also was human ... being an otaku having own hobbies ... but he still was a nice guy and helped others. Yeah he was overpowered but that is not a problem since it was not annoying.

And I usually like fantasy anime with own fantasy world a lot - that means Subaru really was super bad. Since I allow a lot more mistakes for fantasy anime than for other anime. Yet I still dropped Re:Zero.

(But the pacing and repetetive ... with all the resets. That also was a reaon. With better main 7-8 at max I would have scored. Shorter arcs like 3-4 episodes per arc would have been a lot better. Lacking in a lot of departments this anime.)

Since some people assumed he had bad experience with family (or family died or stuff like that) - cause he never talks or thinks about them: You can only know that because you read the novels.

A normal anime viewer would just assume the author did not care about this and leave out the family cause nobody is interested in it. A lot of other anime are doing the same where you are wonderin gif the main got no family/parents. So most people would just get to that conclusion. Not going to something far-fetched like "of course he has family - all anime chars have family ... there probably did something bad happen in the past".

Only novel readers - if they know better -or overly optimistic people would think like that.

Since Eren and Makoto were mentioned: Yeah Eren is 2nd place in most annoying chars for me. (The whole Shingeki no Kyojin anime hat almost only annoying chars besides a few nice ones like Jean.) Makoto not as annoying as Subaru and Eren. But I hardly can remember ... too long since I watched School Days.
Jun 28, 2016 1:44 AM

May 2016
Subaru is REALISTIC?... you guys high or something?... have you guys encountered anyone in real life that behaves the way he does?....think back even to the most retarded person you know and tell me do you think they will behave the same way Sabaru does if they are ported into a fantasy world?...Sabaru is full long retarded, and no, that does not make him HUMAN as some of you might think since a HUMAN wouldn't act in such a idiotic fashion. Everytime he goes all chunibou (or whatever people call that), its just CRINGE.
Jun 28, 2016 2:12 AM
Aug 2015
DoctorWasabi said:
RoyTF said:
I mean i like subaru but sometime he act so stupid which is really annoying,can we expect a bit maturity in his character or he'll be like this throughout the series ;3

Seriously OP.....

Being human doesn't automatically make you a dumbfuck.

Tevens said:
the author made his character like that so when he connected his personality with each character and to the story, it would look realistic. the recent episode is for example. character which has flaws makes the show looks more realistic.

There's a difference between flawed (Evangelion is the best example for such characters), and being annoying/intentionally retarded.

Baka-Hiru said:
GUYS! GUYS! Remember he's a NEET! Most NEETs have shitty personality just like him in episode 13. What did most of you think? That NEETs have cool personalities? Did most of you forget that part?

Subaru is actually kind of interesting when he isn't cracking cringeworthy jokes or "swooning" over Emilia (-tan //cringe).
Jun 28, 2016 2:21 AM

Feb 2015
@On_the_Lam that is actually subaru's true color, his own personality which was hidden inside of him from the very beginning. it's just from our view that the MC looked interesting and likeable, but when he couldn't stand it, he snapped and let everything out from him. the author really intended to make subaru like that to crushed him, beat him to the ground so that he can born to as new person slowly from the beginning again from learning what he did in that episode. don't worry, i think subaru was very retarted in that episode too and that was the kind of person subaru is. that episode purpose is to tell the viewer subaru's true color and people got mad at it cause how stupid and annoying subaru was in that episode. it really showed us that the MC have flaws too, but that flaws just went into another whole lever which made the watcher pissed off and get angry to subaru.
YizelTroJun 28, 2016 2:27 AM
Jun 28, 2016 2:29 AM

Jun 2008
YES!

I mean, at the beginning he was fine, can't really blame him for his clueless attitude and whatnot.

But now, it's just full out cringe.

The guy's constantly yelling and acting like a fucking retard.

PLEASE tell me this is gonna get better.....cuz I was so hyped after the first arc, but everything has gone downhill ever since!
Jun 28, 2016 2:36 AM

Jun 2008
Rayla said:
I don't hate him because he is the most realistic main character in this sort of fantasy setting anime.

He has flaws just like every other human.

I admire his determination and will power, and I grew to enjoy his character even more because we got to see him at his lowest.

Subaru is human.

He is not perfect.

That's fine.

He isn't Kirito, and I like that.

He isn't an over-powered badass that gets his way thanks to the help of deus-ex-machima.

He doesn't always get the girl.

He has flaws, just like we have flaws.

Subaru is human.

Subaru is Subaru.

He's fucking annoying as shit and he acts like a retard in really inappropriate times which causes massive amounts of cringe!

C'mon....obviously he's flawed, he's not over powered and whatever, but that doesn't make him realistic or more human.
Jun 28, 2016 2:39 AM

Apr 2013
The opossite actually. I like him cause he is actually quite realistic. He is your average person that can break anytime, easy and has a crush on a real beauty to who he feels inferior by every aspect so no. I actually find him very interesting and well written.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jun 28, 2016 2:41 AM

Jul 2015
JustALEX said:
YES!

I mean, at the beginning he was fine, can't really blame him for his clueless attitude and whatnot.

PLEASE tell me this is gonna get better.....cuz I was so hyped after the first arc, but everything has gone downhill ever since!

According to the source readers, he has hit the bottom this time. From now on his personality is supposed to be deconstructed and recreated from zero. Hence the name Re:Zero. The third arc is basically about Subaru and his development.
Bernkishi07Jun 28, 2016 2:47 AM
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jun 28, 2016 3:04 AM
Aug 2015
Tevens said:
@On_the_Lam that is actually subaru's true color, his own personality which was hidden inside of him from the very beginning. it's just from our view that the MC looked interesting and likeable, but when he couldn't stand it, he snapped and let everything out from him. the author really intended to make subaru like that to crushed him, beat him to the ground so that he can born to as new person slowly from the beginning again from learning what he did in that episode. don't worry, i think subaru was very retarted in that episode too and that was the kind of person subaru is. that episode purpose is to tell the viewer subaru's true color and people got mad at it cause how stupid and annoying subaru was in that episode. it really showed us that the MC have flaws too, but that flaws just went into another whole lever which made the watcher pissed off and get angry to subaru.

And yet again, there's a difference between being annoyed by a character's flawed decisions, and cringing uncontrollably when said character opens his mouth.

Re:Zero has too much potential to have Subaru as its MC.
Jun 28, 2016 3:05 AM
Aug 2015
Sometimes791 said:
JustALEX said:
YES!

According to the source readers, he has hit the bottom this time. From now on his personality is supposed to be deconstructed and recreated from zero. Hence the name Re:Zero. The third arc is basically about Subaru and his development.

Right now at episode 3 he's the same as he was in episode 1, except way more stupid.

Sh1cky said:
The opossite actually. I like him cause he is actually quite realistic. He is your average person that can break anytime, easy and has a crush on a real beauty to who he feels inferior by every aspect so no. I actually find him very interesting and well written.

I'm really interested to know in what anime-land you guys (who insist that he's realistic) live...
Jun 28, 2016 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
I actually quite like him even after episode 13.

He's certainly a refreshing protagonist compared to the usual Isekai stories.

He did make some mistakes in that episodes but

1. he used to be a NEET
2. he has been killed mutiple times

Whenever I think about those two things I can't help but emphatise with him since those things are both very traumatizing experiences.
Jun 28, 2016 3:37 AM

Aug 2013
Subaru in general acts like a fucking idiot 99% of the time, not only in the past episode, and his dialogue is cringy most of the time.
The dialogue between him and Julius in the last episode was some of the most cringy and idiotic I've ever witnessed in any medium ever and the one between him and Emilia was just as stupid.

I get it, he's supposed to vent out and break from all the stress of doing stuff for others risking his life, but no one ever forced him to do so in the first place and even if he was, that doesn't give him the right to act like a fucking idiot all the time.
huh
Jun 28, 2016 4:00 AM
Mar 2016
It was super cringey and I was annoyed but I am pretty sure that's what we are meant to feel. Subaru is being annoying/stupid and even the long-suffering Emilia can't take it anymore.

But I don't need to like a character to watch him/her. I just need Subaru to be interesting enough to watch and right now it's still interesting for me to see if he develops as a character.
Jun 28, 2016 4:18 AM

Aug 2012
Lol ofc he's realistic. Don't say that you know how normal people would react to what Subaru went through cause no one could know.

For his "chuunibyou" (it is not chuunibyou, just someone who played video games and get thrown into a fantasy world), then it is just his caracterization, and i'm pretty sure anyone fond of that kind of videogames would act like him.

And for people who think he can just die and redo everything, lol have you ever experienced death? Could you kill yourself even if you know you'll come back to life? Don't be so sure that you could, cause it is NOT so simple. If you think death can't break someone as long as he can't really die, then think again. Plus everybody forget the time they spent together.

So yes, he's more human than every Kirito we get nowadays that save the day with the power coming from friendship or whatever. He has to make choices, sacrifices, and is not blessed by some gods or luck.
Jun 28, 2016 4:20 AM

Dec 2014
Actually he is anoying but i feel sad too. He want to tell about his curse (ability?) but can't.

It still 13 episode. His personality may change on next few episode.
Jun 28, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2007
You know, its kind of funny that two episodes ago or so I would have been preparing a long tl;dr explaining why Subaru is great, realistic and interesting main character who defies genre norms, does not indulge into needless protag-melodrama(where the MC becomes supid for sake of creating situations where he sulks) and who actually treats the world he came into the way a normal person transported there would instead of becoming "the hero".
I would have told you that his stance and him calling out literary and anime tropes is refreshing. I would have told you that his knowledge of real world matters adds a layer of cleverness to him as he can manipulate and use the knowledge this world does not have to his advantage. I would have told you that his and Emilia's set up in first arc was great and their interactions felt realistic and nice, albeit that fell down the stairs in Arc 2. I would have told you that Arc 2 already refuted most of your claims and showcased Subaru using his head, overcoming the ideas that your traditional protag would not even question("hey maybe this world is not made for me? Holy shit this is actually real"). I would have told you that it is refreshing to have an MC who is not overpowered and instead uses his brain and wits to survive the story - ala Dark Souls approach and who constantly learns and progresses instead of being either utterly pitiful or utterly gary stu.
I would have said that Re:Zero shows that you can do psychological stories well and actually portray complex flawed characters like Tohno Shiki or Emiya Shirou without making them look like worthless idiots just to prove a point. I would have said that I find Subaru's mindset and his progression fascinating and refreshing compared to all the annoying anime and ln MCs. I would have said that it is nice to see a powerless MC who only has his intelligence to work with and realizes how powerless he is, but can't help but want to help others and put his life at risk for that, because of never having had those connections due to being a neet.

Then the episode 12 hit and I frankly I agree with this thread.

The Subaru that we have now is overly dramatic and unrealistic. He contradicts all the set up and characterization he had. And the author is intentionally making him despicable and dumb to make an example out of him and to make a point, even if that contradicts what the character was till now.

Current Subaru grosses me out. Makes me want to vomit. I can't watch his Mr.NiceGuy "GRATITUDE IS A DEBT TO BE REPAID" rant in Episode 13 without stopping the episode and feeling dizzy. I have not been this grossed out and repulsed by a character since SAO 2 And hey in that case it was a villain. That whole end scene was pretty much equivalent of a show shoehorning a rape scene into itself without the viewer expecting it. I am sorry but even now, talking about that bulllshit makes me want to vomit.

Even if we put aside his terrifying yandere-like behavior aside, there's also the problem that he has grown inherently stupid. This Subaru is oblivious to the things that Subaru from before would hold as common sense. This Subaru does not give a shit about other people. This Subaru does not give shit about Emilia. This Subaru does not give a shit about anyone but his own self satisfaction of being praised by others and calling out favors that he feels others are indebted to him for solely being nice.

The thing I praised this show constantly for - having realistic MC who does not fall into pits of drama for sake of drama - is gone. MC literally lost his brain just so he can mess up and throw a pity party and that the writer could try to teach the viewer some sort of lesson.
The thing I praised the show for - having an MC who is actually likeable underdog and solves his problems by using intelligence and real world knowledge - is also gone.
The thing i praised the show for - the MC having realistic interactions with characters the way normal real life people would - is gone now, since MC went full on asada-san.

i guess what's the saddest is that the show expects us to believe that the character I would have defended and the character I feel deserves restraining order at least are supposed to be the same person.

When you write a story, you expect the viewers to be invested in the characters. To want to learn more about them, what makes them tick, to want to explore their flaws and their strengths. A narrative work rises and falls by the strength, coherence and complexity of your main character. If the main character starts to behave completely out of character, the viewer is forced to try to suspend his disbelief - the link to understanding the character starts to fall apart. If the main character starts behaving in the way that is utterly and absolutely repulsive to viewer - the need and the interest in character's backstory and wanting to learn what makes them tick disappears.

I have fair share of flawed and problematic characters as my all time favorites. One of my all time favorite protagonists are Emiya Shirou(a perfect deconstruction of main character tropes and a character with a brilliant and fucked up psychological profile) and Tohno Shiki(the protagonist you are supposed to fear). Hell, the reason I fell in love with Konosuba, was because the MC was a completely unapologetic asshole. And in terms of western shows I have plenty of characters I found interesting and compelling despite them having A LOT of flaws, be it Walter White, Veronica Mars or Spike from Buffy.

The thing that separates hose characters from Subaru is coherence and logic - all of those characters manage to stay consistent and have a clear-cut and complex character progression(which is hilarious as there are like 5+ different versions and outcomes for Emiya Shirou's character and yet he is still consistent and complex and interesting). Hell, characters like Emiya Shirou show that you can criticize and deconstruct anime protagonist tropes without character assassinating your lead into disgusting punching bag of human waste.

Yes you heard it right, Subaru right now is more gross for me than Tohno Shiki, a character who

There's nothing wrong with creating flaws, but they have to make sense. There's nothing wrong with making character make mistakes, but not at the cost of everything the character was built up as. There's nothing wrong with making viewer dislike character's decisions, but not to the point of viewer literally wanting the protagonist to end and suffer.

If things do not change(and I am trying to think very hard on how this show can fix the writing mess it caused). , then Re;Zero will have accomplished in 12 episodes what charlotte accomplished in half episode - getting me excited about a character and then completely and utterly character assassinating him.

The season started with Subaru being near the top of new characters for me and now he is very strongly near the end.

Its kind of ironic I mention Emiya Shirou in this since what happened with the Ep12-13 is a plotline FSN executed perfectly in UBW route -

Re;Zero tries to do the same, but crudely and at the cost of 11 episodes of build up.

Its amazing how two episodes in a work can be all it takes for the house of cards to crumble down.
Jun 28, 2016 5:37 AM

Aug 2012

What you're saying is kinda idiotic lol
Have you never said something you don't really think inside of you?
Jun 28, 2016 8:02 AM
May 2013
i already hate his stupid act since first episode but after third i already immune to it
Jun 28, 2016 8:06 AM

May 2015
KlinsK said:

That doesn't make any sense, you have to think a thing, to say. If you mean, "did something you regret when you think about it", I think most people have. The difference is, Subaru did that for an entire day.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 28, 2016 8:25 AM

Aug 2012
RainyRai said:
KlinsK said:

That doesn't make any sense, you have to think a thing, to say. If you mean, "did something you regret when you think about it", I think most people have. The difference is, Subaru did that for an entire day.

I'm talking about the end of ep 13, when he said terrible things to Emilia. He said that under angry. He said things he didn't really mean to because he was desperate that the curse prevent him from telling the truth to Emilia. Not that hard to understand imo.
Jun 28, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2015
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

I'm talking about the end of ep 13, when he said terrible things to Emilia. He said that under angry. He said things he didn't really mean to because he was desperate that the curse prevent him from telling the truth to Emilia. Not that hard to understand imo.

He was saying the first things that popped into his head. Even if he wouldn't say it normally, he was being truthful.

Not to mention he was being stupid the entire episode.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 28, 2016 8:38 AM

Aug 2012
RainyRai said:
KlinsK said:

He was saying the first things that popped into his head. Even if he wouldn't say it normally, he was being truthful.

Lol okay. Can't grasp subtelty i guess? Not surprising from someone who thinks U&T, that has so many inconstitencies, is the AOTS lol
KlinsKJun 28, 2016 8:52 AM
Jun 28, 2016 8:49 AM

May 2015
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

Lol okay. Can't grasp subtility i guess? Not surprising from someone who thinks U&T, that has so many inconstitencies, is the AOTS lol

"you liked this anime that I thought was bad that is not related to this in any almost any way so your argument is invalid and you're dumb."
neat. Do you have a post where you elaborate on these inconsistencies?

Also, there's no subtlety about Subaru insulting some of the most important people in the country, blatantly disrespecting the knights, putting the focus of the election on him a random guy, embarrassing the person he's trying "so loyally to help", fighting a guy that's way stronger them him and refusing to stop fighting and also fighting without any honor at all, only stopping because he got knocked out.

If he actually thought for a second before he did anything, he might have realized that this was all incredibly stupid.
Jun 28, 2016 8:59 AM

Aug 2012
RainyRai said:
KlinsK said:

Lol okay. Can't grasp subtility i guess? Not surpriy i guess? Not surprising from someone who thinks U&T, that has so many inconstitencies, is the AOTS lol

"you liked this anime that I thought was bad that is not related to this in any almost any way so your argument is invalid and you're dumb."

Also, there's no subtlety about Subaru insulting some of the most important people in the country, blatantly disrespecting the knights, putting the focus of the election on him a random guy, embarrassing the person he's trying "so loyally to help", fighting a guy that's way stronger them him and refusing to stop fighting and also fighting without any honor at all, only stopping because he got knocked out.

If he actually thought for a second before he did anything, he might have realized that this was all incredibly stupid.

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid. It was the stupidest thing to do. What i want to say is that too many people are used to badass characters that act the best way possible everytime. No, it doesn't exist. People make mistakes, say things they don't intend to, and act before thinking. Yes, Subaru said horrible things, but please, whoever is without sin cast the first stone.
Jun 28, 2016 9:11 AM

May 2015
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

I'm not saying it wasn't stupid. It was the stupidest thing to do. What i want to say is that too many people are used to badass characters that act the best way possible everytime. No, it doesn't exist. People make mistakes, say things they don't intend to, and act before thinking. Yes, Subaru said horrible things, but please, whoever is without sin cast the first stone.

The problem isn't that Subaru needs to be perfect though; he's flawed. The problem is that the reason he screwed up now was because he didn't actually think about anything he was doing, he just did it.
Jun 28, 2016 9:13 AM

Jan 2014
The stupidity of some of these MAL users calling Subaru a bad character

You're just making an idiot of yourself if you think that
Jun 28, 2016 9:21 AM

Aug 2012
RainyRai said:
KlinsK said:

The problem isn't that Subaru needs to be perfect though; he's flawed. The problem is that the reason he screwed up now was because he didn't actually think about anything he was doing, he just did it.

If you think everytime before you act or say anything, then you might be really boring IRL. (Pretty sure that's impossible anyway).

Plus if he's "flawed", then we all are xD
KlinsKJun 28, 2016 9:27 AM
Jun 28, 2016 9:34 AM

May 2015
DoctorWasabi said:

Subaru isn't a bad character, but that doesn't mean he's a likable character. The show isn't trying to portray him as unlikable.
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

If you think everytime before you act or say anything, then you might be really boring IRL. (Pretty sure that's impossible anyway).

There's a difference between thinking for every single thing you say, and saying a bunch of dumb shit without stopping to think. When he called the council full of crap, he could have regretted it, but then fixed everything. Same when he said he was a knight; but he didn't, he just kept going and going and going until he reached a point where he had nothing else to really fuck up.
Jun 28, 2016 9:41 AM

Aug 2012
RainyRai said:
DoctorWasabi said:

Subaru isn't a bad character, but that doesn't mean he's a likable character. The show isn't trying to portray him as unlikable.
KlinsK said:

There's a difference between thinking for every single thing you say, and saying a bunch of dumb shit without stopping to think. When he called the council full of crap, he could have regretted it, but then fixed everything. Same when he said he was a knight; but he didn't, he just kept going and going and going until he reached a point where he had nothing else to really fuck up.

The more i listen to your arguments, the more i see Subaru as a human characters xD What you just describe, Subaru going further and further to prove he's right, and finally just saying dumb shit all along, i'm pretty sure a lot of people already experienced this. Fearing that correcting themselves would just be embarrassing, they would just continue.
Jun 28, 2016 9:43 AM

Jul 2007
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

Most of problematic people have reasons to be problematic or toxic. Does not change that they are being problematic and toxic.

In this case Subaru not only acted in problematic way putting himself into mr nice guy stereotype, but also crossed the line so much that he became repulsive for the viewer. What's more it contradicts his character up till now too.

Either way its bad. IF show cant make viewers care about the protagonist, the show is doomed to fail. Especially one that is all about making viewers want the protagonist to succeed and not die.
Jun 28, 2016 9:54 AM

Jan 2013
I agree it is fairly refreshing and quite realistic that Subaru have zero useful combat skills.

But it doesn't make him less annoying.

It's not his lack of skills, but his eccentric chuni behavior that makes him annoying.

People automatically assume that those who don't like Subaru as a character want an overpowered character swinging a huge sword, but that's not true. Well, there are few who do want that, but most merely don't like bratty idiots.

Subaru isn't that different from Kirito. Both are plot devices.
Kirito advances plot with getting random powers, Subaru does it with random idiotic acts, both are powered by deux ex machina. Subaru didn't won a single fight by wits, but by random intervention of higher power, like Reinthart or Roswall that suddenly appear in critical moments preventing another frustratingrestart. Plot then progresses by Subaru doing something idiotic, then dying, repeating the timeline like four times, then finally outside force saves him so he can do another idiotic act to progress the plot.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 28, 2016 10:18 AM

May 2015
KlinsK said:
RainyRai said:

The more i listen to your arguments, the more i see Subaru as a human characters xD What you just describe, Subaru going further and further to prove he's right, and finally just saying dumb shit all along, i'm pretty sure a lot of people already experienced this. Fearing that correcting themselves would just be embarrassing, they would just continue.

The problem isn't that Subaru isn't flawed or human, it's that he's annoying. You don't have to be a idiot or a cunt to be those things.
Jun 28, 2016 10:31 AM

Jun 2014
Shirou was pretty much hated in Fate. Wonder why Subaru is being defended but Shirou isn't though.

OT: Subaru this ep is far far worse than him on the earlier eps, hope he stops being immature though.
Jun 28, 2016 10:31 AM

May 2010
RainyRai said:
KlinsK said:

The problem isn't that Subaru isn't flawed or human, it's that he's annoying. You don't have to be a idiot or a cunt to be those things.

The problem is he seems to be all three. He shows some maturity at times, I hope them develop him. I don't want to cringe to death. He is like a beta character imo. The punchline for latter in the story...

string said:
Shirou was pretty much hated in Fate. Wonder why Subaru is being defended but Shirou isn't though.

Shirou was an idiot and he knew it, think he learn from his grown up self. Subaru is clueless but evolving. The way I see it.
Jun 28, 2016 10:37 AM
Feb 2012
RoyTF said:

In that situation, I don't know what I would've done. Subaru's been through a lot and not being able to express all the emotions he has means that you are just judging him poorly if you didn't know that.
If he's being annoying to you then it's probably intentional by the creators because he really is just human like you and me.
Jun 28, 2016 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
After reading some of the posts hear and seeing all the threads created respecting Subaru's figure, you guys must admit that even if you hate him or dislike his characterization, at least Subaru didn't made anyone feel indifference towards his character. And taking in mind that these days we have a lot of shows with typical, bland protagonists, at least him, as stupid and annoying he may be, causes a feeling in the watcher.
Jun 28, 2016 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
GoldenKappa said:
Subaru is REALISTIC?... you guys high or something?... have you guys encountered anyone in real life that behaves the way he does?....think back even to the most retarded person you know and tell me do you think they will behave the same way Sabaru does if they are ported into a fantasy world?...Sabaru is full long retarded, and no, that does not make him HUMAN as some of you might think since a HUMAN wouldn't act in such a idiotic fashion. Everytime he goes all chunibou (or whatever people call that), its just CRINGE.

These stupid posts are all the same, hah.

Yeah, Subaru is realistic. I'm not high. In real life, he behaved normally (mostly). They'd behave similarly, yeah - if they acknowledged it as fantasy. Subaru is naive. And desperate. People that enjoy fantasy, are like that. Were they not, they'd be too aware of its flaws. They'd not enjoy it (as much), then. It'd be too real in their eyes. Too difficult. And it's not chuuni. The fantasy, is in fact, real. So he's not delusional. He was too privileged. He had more in his favor, than not. (He wasn't even supposed to speak the language.)

He was an escapist all along. It was just not as noticeable in the real world. But he's opened himself up, in the fantasy one, as he felt confident to.
Jun 28, 2016 2:26 PM
May 2016

What's with the hyperbole here? He was in a stressful situation and said stupid things, but never to that extent. Is anybody on this forum perfect? Do NONE of you ever say regrettable shit in the heat of the moment? Jesus christ.
KoyomoJun 28, 2016 2:33 PM
Jun 28, 2016 3:31 PM

Mar 2011
Might as well copy and paste lol

He is one of the worst for me,

As much as realistic guy he is, I just don't like his personality at all; makes me want to puke sometimes. Could you please stop shouting random crap please?

Story wise he is great at making it progress and also has good character development. But his personality/attitude is someone I won't ever get along with. Just please shut your big mouth, stop sprouting, nagging and being an absolute chatterbox, it pisses us introverts off.

I mean its so bad that I laugh every-time I see him get killed and sometimes hope his curse ends and he doesn't have to come back to life.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.