Forum Settings
Forums

Having manga scan in romanji? (just an idea)

New
Jun 24, 2016 10:10 AM

Aug 2012
Hi!
I was reading Kuragehime just after finishing the anime, and this idea came to me.
Because in Kuragehime a lot of the funny part is based on a guy pretending being a woman and the other characters believe him (he cross dresses) BUT he keeps saying "ore" from time to time.
Here's the thing : even if it was very easy to see it and enjoy it in the anime, it's impossible with scans because well ore is I...so if the others characters don't react or anything I miss out on this humour that I liked a lot in the anime!

Anyway, I led me to the idea that it would be nice to have scan translated in romanji!! Of course Kuragehime isn't the only exemple, but as long as we readers know what the manga is about (themes etc) and a bit of japanese wouldn't it be more fun to read scan in romanji? What do you think?

Besides, I'm neither complaining about translated scans, or saying I would like romanji scans to really exist (it probably would be hard to read and it's still possible to simply read it in japanese, but I'm talking about someone who doesn't read hiragana or kanji...the person should just learn it BUT that's why I'm saying I don't really want romanji scan it just would be an imaginary interim solution between translated and original japanese), but I'm curious about what you think about it.
AmyltiaJun 24, 2016 10:20 AM
Jun 24, 2016 11:27 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah stuff like "ore" is usually very lost in translation.
Jun 24, 2016 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Amyltia said:
but I'm talking about someone who doesn't read hiragana or kanji...the person should just learn it BUT that's why I'm saying I don't really want romanji scan it just would be an imaginary interim solution between translated and original japanese

When you properly learn Japanese, you learn the Kana and some basic Kanji far before even learning the basic syntax or some serious vocabulary.
If someone is able to read from start to end a manga in rōmanji, he's probably able to read it in Japanese too.

So… I don't see the point here.

But yeah, a lot of things are lost in translation, that happens with every language.
For the very specific case of the ore/boku/atashi/watashi in gender bender manga, since I read a lot of them: some teams try to mark the difference one way or another, by using notes, changing the fonts, or stuffs like that. You'll never get the same feeling than in Japanese with it, but English is just a pretty "handicapped" language when it comes to gender or social markers, so no choice.
removed-userJun 24, 2016 12:09 PM
Jun 24, 2016 12:19 PM

Nov 2011
just thinking about a manga in all romaji makes me cringe.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 26, 2016 2:19 AM

Jul 2015
Go learn the kana. It'll take you something like 2 or 3 weeks... maybe more if you can't put in enough time.
If the manga you're reading is realeased in a shonen or shoujo magazine, then you're kinda lucky, because you'll just have to read the furigana, next to the Kanji.

There's no point in having a chapter in romaji, when the huge majority of readers don't even understand japanese. :P
I HAVE TWO RULES:

RULE ONE: I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
RULE TWO: IF I'M WRONG, REFER TO RULE ONE...

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

155 by Armandoriel »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

385 by PurpleViola »»
10 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

29 by Synrax »»
Yesterday, 1:49 PM

» Western Studio Adaptation of Berserk (Thoughts?)

FlydayEthan - Yesterday

0 by FlydayEthan »»
Yesterday, 11:08 AM

» Thoughts on long manga?

Chuckiemuffin - Feb 29

28 by Azuchi »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.