Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2016 8:59 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Umm...the driver looked kinda derpy.

And did the aunt's soul get sucked out or what.

And i guess this

Explains this.

KuruwinJun 7, 2016 9:17 AM
Jan 4, 2017 3:04 PM
Apr 2016
What kind of aunt makes her wear 5 sets of upper garments. I'm surprised she was able to run up a hill in those...Somehow this aunt doens't seem to be a nice person.
Dec 15, 2017 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
Beginning of a fairy tale that is a hymn to nature and joy, a symbol that now more than ever should be seen by everyone. The beginning is so touching in some ways, showing us a Heidi so small and funny because of the many worn clothes, which begins its adventure from a country of which nothing is known, and that sees all or almost all the characters that will be the architects of the story of this lovely little girl. Right away you can guess the shady acting and bad faith of Heidi's aunt, Dete, who never liked me as a character. But as they say: not all evil comes to harm. As a beginning it is very hasty but effective narratively.
Mar 30, 2019 3:39 PM

Sep 2011
I've been wanting to watch this one for a while now, and I'm glad I finally started it! Heidi and Peter seem like precious kids, and I'm sure her grandfather is just misunderstood, or at least I hope so. I hope that their meeting and their soon-to-be born bond is going to change their lives for the better!

I also love the OP and the ED, they are so pleasant! And the scenery is gorgeous!
May 23, 2019 11:49 PM

Apr 2013
Finally started heidi, really cute from the first ep, also nice goats
Feb 7, 2020 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
Ah, this show brings me way back, of simpler times and joyous occasions. Heidi is such a precious child. She sees everything, nature, the people, the environment as a fairytale just waiting to be explored. You just can't hate a beautiful child like her. It will be nice when she, I would presume, unintentionally heal her grandfather's sad heart, which I am sure is misunderstood and is, most likely, bitter about the death of his son.

That said, I dislike her Aunt Dete. While I understand why she did what she did, I don't agree with her reasons.
Feb 16, 2021 1:07 PM

Feb 2020
Nostalgia suddenly made me want to watch one of my favorite childhood shows. I haven't seen it in ages, and I remember this episode wasn't one of my favorites (I loved the following ones though) but it feels so good to watch it again and see all the characters : the adorable Heidi, the silly but just as adorable Peter (or Pierre in my dub), the grumpy yet lovable grandpa (possibly my favorite character, even back then), the little goat, the dog... I missed them. Except the aunt, I never liked her for how she treated Heidi.
And the opening that I know by heart, it's so good. And I also forgot the insert song, now I understand why I didn't understand anything as a kid, they left it in japanese. I thought I was just dumb.

Overall it made me so happy to go back to this show, but at the same time I'm not certain I'll watch it to the end, it is fully aimed at children unlike some similar shows so maybe at times the nostalgia factor won't be enough. It did shift to a deeper story at some point but seeing all that from Heidi's perspective always prevented the show from being more mature, at least from what I remember. Well, I'll see ! Maybe Heidi's innocence and Grandpa's greatness as well as the beautiful setting will be enough to keep me invested. I'll at least watch the next three episodes, I watched them so many times rewatching them is an absolute duty.
FafetteFeb 16, 2021 1:11 PM
May 20, 2021 9:52 PM

Jan 2021
Directed by isao Takahata and animated by Hayao Miiyazaki before the studio Ghibili days. No wonder this series is so beautiful.
Jan 24, 2023 4:12 PM
Dec 2015
Just started this as a something to watch throughout the year! I forgot how the beginning of the story of Heidi is sort of sad with her aunt leaving her like that. Heidi seems much happier in the mountains though!

Nov 16, 2023 6:24 PM
Sep 2016
So sweet so cute. Seems like something nice and relaxing to watch before bed. Unless the show tries to prove me wrong as it goes along.

(I do like that the grandpa shakes her hand politely while saying 'f*ck off')

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 5 Discussion

Kuruwin - Jun 16, 2016

8 by darthtruder »»
Mar 8, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 4 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 31, 2019

4 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 3 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 31, 2019

5 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 2 Discussion

catullus_d_rus - Mar 28, 2016

8 by darthtruder »»
Feb 13, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Alps no Shoujo Heidi Episode 47 Discussion

Kuruwin - Jul 30, 2016

6 by k1Aegis »»
Jan 7, 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.