Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
May 14, 2016 4:34 AM
May 2016
URMAGHERD.. Hello people of this anime community. I just came here to talk about this recent anime I've watched. "Madoka Magica".. Sigh.. I must say that I've been watching anime in general for over 4 years. Many titles have been watched, and it was just an amazing experience. But this.. I just watched THIS 5 year old anime, and finished it yesterday. Is it just me? I felt really sad and empty when

Spoiler Alert*

Then I watched "Madoka-Magica: Rebellion"movie and then my sad-ass feels and emptiness was filled with

Spoiler alert*

But the fire of the anime series still fills me.. so.. do you guys think the anime series was better? or the movie..? And I just need someone to talk to.. because no one ik watches anime. (#lonely). :) thank you~
jaetransformMay 15, 2016 6:35 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2016 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
Topic Moved From Anime Discussion v.2
May 14, 2016 9:03 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
So 5 year old anime is old now?
You can also warn about spoilers from Rebellion, some people might have watched TV series but haven't seen the movie yet and you're spoiling both.
I think TV series was better simply because the movie desparately needs a continuation. Ending of TV series tied everything together nicely.
May 14, 2016 9:18 AM

Apr 2014
The film was very interesting, beautiful, clever, etc. But only the series was a work of genius, imho.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."
May 15, 2016 2:46 AM
May 2016
Mm.. I apologize for the spoiler notification mistake I made. (It was my first post D:). Is it true that there will be something even AFTER Rebellion? This whole "concept movie" thing.. Is it true?
May 15, 2016 12:47 PM

Jan 2015
Then you should watch more "old" anime
May 15, 2016 12:54 PM

Mar 2016
But it's a horrible anime .

It's grimdark bullshit that purely relies on shock factor and you somehow giving a fuck about the plain characters to actually find it interesting .The characters aren't so impressive that you can call them complex/layered/whatever and unless you can like nigh blank slates ,I don't see why you'd like Madoka .

OduduwaMay 15, 2016 1:24 PM
May 15, 2016 1:17 PM

Oct 2014
There are ordinary magical girl anime like Lady Jewelpet and Nurse Angel Ririka that have darker and more interesting concepts. Ririka was from 1995 and it toyed with the concept of magical girls being recruited with the main objective of their existence being to kill themselves in order to save the world. It came out 16 years before Madoka and it was already using this idea. Princess Tutu from 2002 had a different approach in which the world is controlled by a story teller who has written the destiny of the main character to preform an action that would lead to her death. Cardcaptor Sakura (1998) does hint at the idea that Sakura is meant to sacrifice herself in order to keep the world in line, but it doesn't feel quite as strong as some others.

Not actually a magical girl anime, but Serial Experiments Lain from 1998 does as better job with the "no one remembers you" idea.
May 15, 2016 1:23 PM

Apr 2015
Well the things that I found interesting in PMMM is the "wish" concept and some life-lessons. It may not be the first dark magical girls, nor a deconstruction, but I feel somehow that the wish concept is somewhat a metaphor to some daily life aspects.
May 16, 2016 9:50 AM
Feb 2009
I decided not to watch it because the description was like a regular magical girl anime. But then I heard that the studio deceived us on purpose and it's actually good, so it's back on my watch list.
Is it great way to get magical girl fans to see sth more serious but might throw off someone like me with it's magical girl description. So it's a win/loss but an interesting approach.
May 16, 2016 9:57 AM

Oct 2014
Bozzzz said:
I decided not to watch it because the description was like a regular magical girl anime. But then I heard that the studio deceived us on purpose and it's actually good, so it's back on my watch list.
Is it great way to get magical girl fans to see sth more serious but might throw off someone like me with it's magical girl description. So it's a win/loss but an interesting approach.
Believe it or not but it's pretty much exactly like regular magical girl anime.

People have said they have shown it to their children (shoujo age) without any issues.
May 17, 2016 5:08 AM
May 2016
Idk about the whole showing it to their children, but A) They probably have no idea what's going on, and B) There will be questions and just simple things that just fly past their heads without thinking twice. (Ik I just generalized, but come ON.. there won't be a lot of 14 year olds watching this and rethinking their choices in life or

, or something like that. :/

However, I do agree with you. Yea.. in a sense the anime IS just like a normal magical girl anime, but you gotta admit. It doesn't have that "girly-childish-everything-goes-in-the-way-the-main-character-wants-it-to" (cheesy happy ending where the ultimate bad guy dies and the heroine stands victorious.) (Is THIS <- a spoiler? Idk..)

But @Bozzzz, you will be in a hell of a ride thats for sure ;). Have fun! Sure your opinions on the anime will most likely be different from either of us, but just make sure to have a great experience. You won't regret it! (Especially the series.. everybody loved that one, despite there being mixed opinions on the movie.)
May 17, 2016 5:22 AM

Mar 2014
[quote=jaetransform message=46061934]It doesn't have that "girly-childish-everything-goes-in-the-way-the-main-character-wants-it-to"

Agreed (y)
May 17, 2016 5:34 AM

Jul 2015
Bozzzz said:

Are you serious -_-? Have you watched any other mahou shoujo? As zombie_pegasus said, it just recycles common tropes of the genre and rolls them in a single package along with a weird art style. It's nowhere close to be the darkest or most unique mahou shoujo out there.
In my opinion it just tries to capitalize on that first gratuitous death with the subtelty of a drunk mammoth.
May 17, 2016 5:51 AM
May 2016
@Clebardman I have to admit that this aint the BEST of the BEST stuff out there, but its something great :/ You don't have the discourage him. Sure this is all based on opinions, and like I said before, opinions do differ.. And tbh I've never watched anything "incomparably good" with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, so I can't say much.. but after all.. all of this is biased on opinion and emotions no? Let the fellar be and watch his thing. ;) You don't have to go full on and destroy an entire series merely based on opinions and judgment.

(Not saying that your opinions don't matter, no, they absolutely do. It's these types of discussions that keep the anime community thriving, dynamic, and alive)
May 17, 2016 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
@jaetransform he watched it, or at least enough to rate it, I wouldn't have answered otherwise. I'm just not sure how he's able to form an opinion on a genre he never watches. I only saw 3 magical girls in my life + the occasional Sailor Moon episode in my childhood, and I can already say Madoka isn't the darkest/a revolution or whatever.
May 17, 2016 5:57 AM
May 2016
Ah he did? My mistake.. Is that so? Could you tell me darker versions of "Mahou Shoujo's" ? I really need some good ones to watch. ;) (please?)
May 17, 2016 6:01 AM

Jul 2015
@jaetransform Well I'm not a magical girls expert but... I enjoyed Shoujo Kakumei Utena a lot more than Madoka. Tho you'll have to deal with meh animation.
May 17, 2016 6:03 AM
May 2016
Thanks m8! Really needed one to get over the feels from Madoka Magica. Sigh.. PAD (Post-Anime-Depression) you know? :/
May 17, 2016 6:06 AM

Jul 2015
jaetransform said:
Thanks m8! Really needed one to get over the feels from Madoka Magica. Sigh.. PAD (Post-Anime-Depression) you know? :/

I wouldn't call it depression, but yeah, good movies/books/shows/ can make you feel awkward when it ends ^^.

You can always rewatch it in a few months ;p
May 17, 2016 7:32 AM
May 2010
I never really understood the idea of being forced to defend something I enjoy, so I'm not gonna bother with some of the disparaging remarks here that discourage discussion more than they encourage conflict.

What I'll say is that Madoka came at a very appropriate time for me, not long after I became more avid in anime-watching back in 2011. I had ran out of big-title anime to watch, having finished FMA: Brotherhood, SEL, Ghost in the Shell, etc, etc. Madoka felt special to me in a way that I could only describe as a kid watching Star Wars for the first time back in the '80s. It presented its emotions and style with grand theatricality, in a very bold manner that wowed me, grabbing my attention. It was short enough to retain its impact, yet long enough to flesh out its characters in satisfying arcs. I don't think I've ever loved an anime series as much ever again since then. You could say that Madoka Magica changed my life, so I certainly held it very close to my heart.

Yes, you could say that others might have done it better - but so fucking what? Others did it better before Star Wars came along. Others did it better before Avengers came along. So fucking what? Just enjoy what you enjoy and shut the fuck up. These shows are popular for a reason. And just to remind you, "deep" is not equivalent to fucking quality, you pretentious dickwads.

Jesus fucking Christ.
May 17, 2016 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Having grown up with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, and have also seen Utena and Tutu, Madoka Magica is still my personal favorite mahou shoujo. Not because of the story or character writing, but because of personal aesthetic reference and its down-to-earth story telling. Given the fact that the show handling some issues regarding utilitarianism or some philosophical shit, it's still favorable to anime casual and newcomer.

Somehow Magica has no appeal to elitist-wannabe who trying too hard over-intellectualize anime though. Nice to see you enjoyed Madoka Magica alot :)

PS: The sensei is the best girl
May 17, 2016 7:44 AM
May 2016
xD Sensei.. the ranting teacher who always has failed relationships. Agreed.. best character in the entire series. (jk)
May 17, 2016 7:47 AM
May 2010
illivinni said:
Having grown up with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura, and have also seen Utena and Tutu, Madoka Magica is still my personal favorite mahou shoujo. Not because of the story or character writing, but because of personal aesthetic reference and its down-to-earth story telling. Given the fact that the show handling some issues regarding utilitarianism or some philosophical shit, it's still favorable to anime casual and newcomer.

Somehow Magica has no appeal to elitist-wannabe who trying too hard over-intellectualize anime though. Nice to see you enjoyed Madoka Magica alot :)

Given any other day, I would put in more effort in explaining why I love the series as much as I did, but today's just one of those days when I'm irritable. I appreciate somebody else coming along to put in more 'eloquent' words the good things about this show than I did. Pardon the French.

I think character writing is a really subjective thing though. It depends a lot on personal experience. Sometimes, when people come across characters that impact them in a significant way, in a way that they could connect to in a deep emotional way, they tend to disregard how much better other characters were handled in some other shows that they've never grew up with or encountered first-hand. First impressions are important, and if a lesser show grabs me in a bigger and bolder way before Show X and Y came along in later years with supposedly better writing, I'd still give my love to the 'lesser show'. Call it biasness, call it nostalgia. I think it's something deeper than those superficial labels intellects try to throw around. It's that personal relationship with the show, how they made us cry, laugh, etc. And if a show manages to do that for so many people that it ends up being labeled as "overrated", then it's at least done something right, enough to make people feel this way in the first place.
May 17, 2016 8:30 AM
May 2016
Agreed.. Jesus Friend Chicken.. or @Solitude Hermit. Feels man.. you can't beat feels. Because feels are 3 gud 5 me.. This show was one of the feels ones.. ;) The soundtracks are amazinggg~~ (#yukikajuraisluv
#yukikajuraislyfe)
May 17, 2016 8:48 AM

Mar 2015
They've announced a continuation but there's little else we know. In the mean time, if you ever wonder what Madoka wished for in the first timeline, you can check out the Drama CD.
May 17, 2016 10:09 AM
Feb 2009
Clebardman said:
Bozzzz said:

Are you serious -_-? Have you watched any other mahou shoujo? As zombie_pegasus said, it just recycles common tropes of the genre and rolls them in a single package along with a weird art style. It's nowhere close to be the darkest or most unique mahou shoujo out there.
In my opinion it just tries to capitalize on that first gratuitous death with the subtelty of a drunk mammoth.

Well I haven't watched Madoka yet and I think I've never watched magical girl anime for more than an episode or 2. Do you have sth good to recommend?

Just found this when googleing 'mahou shoujo dark anime':
http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/top-10-dark-fantasy-anime-best-recommendations/
Strike the Blood in top10 rofl
May 17, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
@Bozzzz Hmm Madoka is rated in your list, I tought you watched it ^_-. Hey Claymore is in that list, I'm watching it right now and it's cool if you don't mind gore. It sure gives a small magical girls vibe.

I found Utena a lot darker. You'll need someone else to guide you in your discovery of mahou shoujo, I still need to watch'em ^^. The usual names that pop up when you mention the genre are (besides Sailor Moon) Madoka, Cardcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, Utena and Lyrical Nanoha, roughly in that order.

But don't mind me, I'm just butthurt when people treat Madoka as some kind of special magical girls ^^'. Probably Comic_Sans' bad influence.
May 17, 2016 5:54 PM
May 2016
@Bozzzz I don't know about other opinions on it, but the good stuff start AFTER the 3rd or 4th episode. I can guarantee that ;). JUst hang in there
May 17, 2016 5:57 PM

May 2015
how old must you be to think that 2011 is old?

I dont consider msmm to be a work of genius but I really liked the ending
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 17, 2016 6:11 PM
May 2016
MY BAD people.. its not old at all.. I was born in the 1990's lol.. So I guess its just my feelings. After all, it IS 5/6 years old. So i guess its not old. My mistake people. (how do u fix the title lol ;;). Its just that i figured everybody would have watched it in the mean time, and I just recently watched it. Its like I'm bringing up something that everybody has talked about.. :/. I guess I was wrong.
May 17, 2016 6:22 PM

Apr 2014
It's one of my favorite anime, so yeah MSMM is glorious.
I liked Rebellion, but my like for it diminished slowly over time as a sequel is really needed to complete the story.
May 20, 2016 9:44 AM
Feb 2009
Clebardman said:
@Bozzzz Hmm Madoka is rated in your list, I tought you watched it ^_-. Hey Claymore is in that list, I'm watching it right now and it's cool if you don't mind gore. It sure gives a small magical girls vibe.

I found Utena a lot darker. You'll need someone else to guide you in your discovery of mahou shoujo, I still need to watch'em ^^. The usual names that pop up when you mention the genre are (besides Sailor Moon) Madoka, Cardcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, Utena and Lyrical Nanoha, roughly in that order.

But don't mind me, I'm just butthurt when people treat Madoka as some kind of special magical girls ^^'. Probably Comic_Sans' bad influence.

I rated Madoca on 1st ep and then put it on hold but never got to watching it. Probably will start it soon. Claymore and Utena seem to have potential but Cardcaptor Sakura and Lyrical Nanoha are why I've avoided magical girl animes. They were what were most popular among magical girl anime and by the talk I've heard and clips i've seen I supposed I wouldn't like them. But I might be wrong, I've never watched a whole episode (and probably never will as this genre is not for me and would have to be really good to get me to like it).
May 21, 2016 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
This is just an opinion, but Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is my favorite anime. It has my favorite plot, character, episode, everything.
As for Rebellion, I also love it!

Also, watching this series one time is just 50%. If possible, you should watch it at least three times. It gets better every time you re-watch it.
May 21, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2015
I thought madoka was bad, and tried too hard to be deep. You're welcome to your own opinion though, just thought i'd share mine.
May 24, 2016 7:16 AM

Jul 2014
Lord_Sithis said:
Also, watching this series one time is just 50%. If possible, you should watch it at least three times. It gets better every time you re-watch it.

I'm afraid I disagree with you there. I saw it one time, didn't care for it, and then I rewatched it and liked it even less. So I'd say it got worse for me upon a rewatch.

Or do you mean that if someone likes it and rewatches it, it gets better for them?
May 24, 2016 8:34 PM
May 2016
D-ohnuts said:
Lord_Sithis said:

I'm afraid I disagree with you there. I saw it one time, didn't care for it, and then I rewatched it and liked it even less. So I'd say it got worse for me upon a rewatch.

Or do you mean that if someone likes it and rewatches it, it gets better for them?

He probably means that if someone likes it and rewatched it, it gets better for them.
Jun 21, 2016 10:10 AM

Mar 2014
Madoka is fucking garbage and very, very recent. This pisses me off so much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2016 10:11 AM

Mar 2014
Bozzzz said:
Clebardman said:

I rated Madoca on 1st ep and then put it on hold but never got to watching it. Probably will start it soon. Claymore and Utena seem to have potential but Cardcaptor Sakura and Lyrical Nanoha are why I've avoided magical girl animes. They were what were most popular among magical girl anime and by the talk I've heard and clips i've seen I supposed I wouldn't like them. But I might be wrong, I've never watched a whole episode (and probably never will as this genre is not for me and would have to be really good to get me to like it).

Utena is perfection
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2016 10:14 AM

Jul 2014
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

What does it being recent have to do with its quality?
Jun 21, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2009
Yeah, but imo pacing was too slow.
Age of anime doesn't mean much.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 21, 2016 10:15 AM

Mar 2014
D-ohnuts said:
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

What does it being recent have to do with its quality?

He said it was old, but it's super new
Jun 21, 2016 10:17 AM

Jul 2014
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:

He said it was old, but it's super new

Oh okay.

lol at considering a barely-5 year old anime old.
Jun 21, 2016 12:31 PM
Sep 2011
D-ohnuts said:

Most likely that, since upon learning certain details later in the show, it makes rewatching the series from the beginning more interesting to them.
Jul 8, 2016 11:25 PM
Feb 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
But it's a horrible anime .

It's grimdark bullshit that purely relies on shock factor and you somehow giving a fuck about the plain characters to actually find it interesting .The characters aren't so impressive that you can call them complex/layered/whatever and unless you can like nigh blank slates ,I don't see why you'd like Madoka .

Personally, I disagree on every point, but to each their own... I wished people would frame their opinions more often as such, rather than something inherent to the work of art as such. Interpretation is interpretation, not "objectivity."
Jul 8, 2016 11:27 PM
Feb 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
There are ordinary magical girl anime like Lady Jewelpet and Nurse Angel Ririka that have darker and more interesting concepts. Ririka was from 1995 and it toyed with the concept of magical girls being recruited with the main objective of their existence being to kill themselves in order to save the world. It came out 16 years before Madoka and it was already using this idea. Princess Tutu from 2002 had a different approach in which the world is controlled by a story teller who has written the destiny of the main character to preform an action that would lead to her death. Cardcaptor Sakura (1998) does hint at the idea that Sakura is meant to sacrifice herself in order to keep the world in line, but it doesn't feel quite as strong as some others.

Not actually a magical girl anime, but Serial Experiments Lain from 1998 does as better job with the "no one remembers you" idea.

I suppose it is all a question of personal taste. To me, Madoka did a better job than all those shows (which I have also watched) -- because of its execution (music, art, pacing, plot, etc.), and because each and every character rings true to me, and feels sufficiently layered to awaken interest -- hell, in fact, I have met people in real life who are the spitting imagine (as personality types) of some of the characters. But we obviously react to different features, which is in itself OK. I hope you have found shows in which you found as much to love as I have found in this one.
Jul 8, 2016 11:30 PM
Feb 2016
MechaGuy said:
I thought madoka was bad, and tried too hard to be deep. You're welcome to your own opinion though, just thought i'd share mine.

I wonder why you think so. Just for me to understand better what your perspective is, what did you find bad about it? And how was trying too hard to be deep? (Disclaimer: I personally love the show, it's the best animē I've ever watched.)
Jul 8, 2016 11:46 PM
Jun 2015
MechaGuy said:

This is literally the most sensible MAL post I have seen in a long time.

Jan 14, 2018 11:34 PM

Jun 2016
When an anime from 2011 is called old... that hurts
Jan 18, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2018
I thought Madoka was pretty underwhelming. For a show about cute magical girls suffering, they sure did a piss poor job at making me actually care about these girls. Hell, I outright hated Sayaka, for some reason she liked that violin boy, who was never characterized as anything more than a whiny piece of shit, so much that she went out of her way to make everything get worse for herself and turn into a witch in the end. Why? What's the story behind this? Why does Sayaka like this guy so much? And how the hell is her soul being in a gem such a big deal that she now considers herself some kind of unholy abomination because of it? Her body still looks and functions exactly like it did before the contract, as long as she keeps her gem around there shouldn't be any problem. But of course, they needed some "psychological" drama to show how a mahou shoujo turns into a witch and all, so there you go, Sayaka was a plot device first and a character second.

In fact, I feel that way with pretty much everyone who isn't Homura in this series, she's the only one who actually gets properly fleshed out, the episode that shows her backstory is by far the best one in this show, it was legitimately sad seeing how she constantly failed to save Madoka and how each failed attempt scarred her emotionally. But Madoka, Mami and Kyouko are so underdeveloped that I just couldn't feel anything for them, poor Mami even died before she could get the chance to develop as a character, she was written with the purpose of giving some explanation the mahou shoujo system and shocking the audience with her death later on as the introduction to the show's dark tone.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.