Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2016 8:57 AM

Feb 2015
Hi everyone!
This weekend, as usual, Iberanime will be held in Lisbon, Portugal, and this year will probably be awesome (I'm going for my second time).

So this upcoming convention got me thinking... How do you feel about conventions? Do you usually go? What do you like (or dislike) about them? How do you prepare? What are your favourites? Any tips for noobs? Do you have any stories about cons you would like to share?
May 2, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2012
I go to conventions :P I used to go just for the sake of going but now I started running a photography business (but I don't like calling it a business because I did it to make art) so I have an excuse to go to more conventions to shoot people. I also cosplay but I don't like bringing too many costumes.

I go to the main Toronto ones: MTAC, AN, Apop (actually only twice, didn't go last year and this year it's cancelled), FanEx
May 2, 2016 9:00 AM

Feb 2016
i wood go but im a bit shy otherwise i would go though. cospleying seems rly cool 2 so maybe i wood try...
Charley-chan desuuu :3 hachimemasu
May 2, 2016 9:09 AM

Nov 2011
I would love to go to one but its always far away and I am not brave enough to go beyond my comfort zone alone.

May 2, 2016 9:12 AM

Apr 2016
Where I live, anime conventions aren't a thing. I've gone to comic cons though and they're usually filled with uber mainstream stuff like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail and DBZ. Most of which I'm not interested in, so finding and interacting with people who have similar taste is a hassle for me.

I say, grab the opportunity to mingle with people who have similar taste/interests. If you have an interest in CosPlay, don't hesitate. It's the best way to start a conversation with strangers. Go out, grab a drink (if you're old enough) and have fun.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 2, 2016 9:25 AM

May 2015
I adore conventions.

The best tip I can give you is volunteer. This way you experience the convention more seriously. You're involved in how it's run, you contribute to something bigger and you get to meet new people more easily.

I recently volunteered in two conventions which weren't anime-related but had a similar target audience. These were some of the best days of my life. You feel like a part of the community.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 2, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
It can be a lot of fun, but my last convention consisted mostly of waiting in lines. The one here in Seattle is much bigger than what I'm used to.

Still, it's fun to chat with new people about shared passions.
May 2, 2016 10:14 AM

Oct 2015
I've never been to a convention before. I have the friends I could go with, but the only decent ones in the UK are in London, and that is too far away for me to care.
May 2, 2016 11:10 AM

Jan 2016
I get really overwhelmed at big cons. I want to start going to smaller cons from now on.
May 2, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2012
Every year, I go to Anime Expo, which is the largest anime convention in North America. I have a lot of fun taking pictures of good cosplayers, attending special events such as special guest panels and concerts. I often save a lot of money to buy almost anything I want like figurines, plushies and games in the exhibit hall.

Credit to Hihanteki
May 2, 2016 11:36 AM

Jan 2016
One of the things in my bucket list to do before I die is attend Comiket in Akihabara at least once in my life.
May 2, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2013
CapitalistGod said:
One of the things in my bucket list to do before I die is attend Comiket in Akihabara at least once in my life.
Comiket is pretty fun. They aren't in Akihabara though, Comikets usually take place at Tokyo Big Sight in the Odaiba area. Just be prepared to fight through thousands of people just to get where you want to go and wait forever in a line no matter how early you show up.
May 2, 2016 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
Awesome i'm going to iberanime too with my friends, and it's my second time aswell.
May 3, 2016 5:06 AM

May 2015
shann0n said:
I get really overwhelmed at big cons. I want to start going to smaller cons from now on.

Where are you from?

I'm from Israel and even the smallest conventions are pretty small. No one comes from abroad and you can count on meeting the same people in the next con.

Either way, volunteer. Volunteering is the best way to experience a convention especially if you don't have a large group of friends.
May 4, 2016 6:43 AM

Apr 2016
I'm going to a con at the end of the month, called Anime North, it's in toronto, canada. If it's doable for any of you i highly recommend it, it's a lot of fun
May 4, 2016 7:19 AM

Apr 2015
I love conventions, oh so much. Though they can be a bit stressful to get too, and boring if you don't have friends. >_>

But that dealers room though. ;)
May 4, 2016 7:34 AM

Jul 2014
I went to my first―and luckily, huge―one last year (ANA) and I LOVED it. I felt like I was in anime/manga heaven.

I was primarily obsessed with the gazillion shops/stalls selling merchandise and the cosplays everyone was in but the panels and some of the guests were a pleasant surprise for me as well.... I even got to see Eir Aoi (fyi, she sounds exactly the same in person as she does on record) perform live. I didn't even know she was going to be there and when I did, I went into that huge-ass ballroom assuming it was some kind of panel with one or two performances but it was practically a full-blown concert. o_o!! ♥

Wish there were conventions where I live. I only got to go to ANA because I was visiting my boyfriend in the States around the same time~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 4, 2016 7:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Been to about 28 or so, we got one at the end of the month. Im mostly in the dealer room, game room and just walking around

I don't ever cosplay and I always feel like the most normal person on earth xD

@raenydays

Your signature look like a panda... panda.. panda panda panda panda
May 4, 2016 7:35 AM

Dec 2012
I sued to go to conventions back in 2010ish? to cosplay & stuff. I really enjoyed it.

Made a ton of friends too.
May 4, 2016 7:37 AM

Apr 2013
I have one big convention in Germany which I visit every year and I like it there. Lots of nice people and good cosplayers around and I enjoy taking photos of my favourite characters there :3

Which reminds me that I should start working on a cosplay which I wanted to do for about 2 years now >.<
May 4, 2016 7:40 AM

Jul 2014
Mamster-P said:

It is a panda... panda.. panda panda panda panda (‐^▽^‐)

Though I can't see it or my avatar right now coz my MAL is whacking out for some reason. o_O
. . . . . . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 4, 2016 7:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
raenydays said:
Mamster-P said:

Though I can't see it or my avatar right now coz my MAL is whacking out for some reason. o_O

Everytime I see panda stuff now... that song lol, maybe at this upcoming con I'll cosplay as a panda ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 4, 2016 7:59 AM
May 2009
Advice.
Go with a Camera.
Wear a sign that says "Please show me your pantsu"
And than you go and take Pantsu pics of Cosplayers who are more than happy to show you.
May 4, 2016 8:08 AM

Jul 2014
Mamster-P said:
raenydays said:

Everytime I see panda stuff now... that song lol, maybe at this upcoming con I'll cosplay as a panda ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol! well, you can never go wrong with pandas ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
. . . . . . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 4, 2016 4:22 PM

Dec 2015
We'll have ''Anime Friends'' here in Brasil on July,that will be my third coming,the event himself is very good,but this year i'm really waiting for something more than youtubers in the attractions to come,they really can do better.
May 4, 2016 7:49 PM

Feb 2016
I'm going to Anime North for the second time. I'm cosplaying as Kurisu from Steins;gate. I know a lot of people who are going. It should be fun. I just have to make sure I don't over spend like last year. Fandom merch is my weakness.
May 4, 2016 7:58 PM

Jun 2012
I only been to one once but I had a blast. I'd say if you want to cosplay do it, people dressed normal are definitely the minority. Also bring lots of friends, the more the merrier. Bring cash and some water and spent time trying to fine people around you with similar interests.
May 4, 2016 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
Went to one in Minneapolis once, there wasn't much point to it really since all we did was drive a couple hundred miles to hang out in the viewing room watching stuff and check out the dealers room....so basically stuff we do at home.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 4, 2016 11:21 PM

Feb 2013
Went to one once, ah, wait
Kruszer said:
Went to one in Minneapolis once, there wasn't much point to it really since all we did was drive a couple hundred miles to hang out in the viewing room watching stuff and check out the dealers room....so basically stuff we do at home.

Yeah, like that. Animinneapolis. Pretty loud, wouldn't go without friends. Good to have gone at least once though, seen what the fuss was about.
May 4, 2016 11:45 PM

May 2012
Have been there but I didn't really like it. Mostly because the bulk of the people there just was about the mainstream manga & anime and it was pretty hard to find someone who has read/watched the less popular yet in most times better manga & anime.

The lines are long, the food is expensive and most of the time not very delicious - at least not worth the money I paid for... And the body odor! The body odor! It is at if some of the guys there completely forgot the invention of the shower. But I digress.

All in all, it is nice to visit such a convention once. But after that, you can make more with your time and money if you put it otherwise to use. But if you are into mainstream manga & anime, you might have some fun.
May 5, 2016 2:59 AM
Feb 2014
The only good conventions are the ones that strike it rich with the panels and merchandise as well as those who actually work in the industry overseas.

They'll be expensive but more worth your bucks. The small conventions will be cringe to the max.

I have attended every Sakura-Con since 2013, and Anime Expo in 2015. I have plans to attend 2016's AX.
May 5, 2016 5:06 AM

Apr 2016
japaniMay said:
FrankyFox said:
I'm going to a con at the end of the month, called Anime North, it's in toronto, canada. If it's doable for any of you i highly recommend it, it's a lot of fun

I'm going too :)

I've never been there, but I've been to FanExpo, which is also in Toronto.

I've been once to FanExpo, didn't like it as much, there was too many people and not enough room to fit all of them hahaha
May 5, 2016 5:33 AM

Oct 2014
I'd love to because I want to meet other anime fans, but up until now I've always been to insecure to actually go. Also, the fact that I don't own any cosplay stuff is kinda holding me back.
May 5, 2016 6:58 AM

Jun 2009
I love conventions, especially for the treasures and goodies you can find there! It's always an internal struggle between buying everything as soon as you see it (before it's gone) and having to carry it around all day, or waiting till the last day when everything (leftovers) drop in price. If you go with friends just buy the stuff you want the moment you spot it, if you like it, somebody else will like it too! And with a group of friends you can always let the others take care of your stuff and vice versa if you need to pose for a cosplay or something else.
For me it's expo's in Belgium and France: F.A.C.T.S. , Made in Asia, Japan Expo
May 8, 2016 6:34 AM
Sep 2015
Eh went to one before like 4 years ago to cosplay Shouko (baka to test) but it was really really crowded, i had to queue for more than 2 hours to buy something from ONE booth. Needless to say i had neither the time nor patience to queue at another booth again. 😱 Although the amount of cosplayers walking around did lessen the boredom. :P Iirc it was the year of Kiritos in all shapes and sizes! Counted at least 15 too.
May 8, 2016 7:32 AM

May 2015
Reading comments here make me glad Israel is a small country.

Conventions are fairly small. Aside from rush hour there are no lines.
May 8, 2016 10:01 AM
Oct 2014
I went to the biggest Japan-related convention in France (Japan Expo) four times, and each time was so much fun ! I found awesome goodies, old series at a super cheap price (last year I got Area 88 for 5 euros !) and the atmosphere in general was awesome. It's very friendly, and the common interests in anime makes it really easy to start conversations with people around you.

Another great thing : When you cosplay, random people ask to take pictures with you, it's so amazing ! Last time, I cosplayed as Yoruichi during the "Turn back the Pendulum" Arc. Conventions are even more fun if you cosplay, but no one will judge you if you don't.

The problems :
- How crowded some conventions are. I usually walk fast, but at JapanExpo for example, it's impossible to walk fast. And the huge number of people attending can feel overwhelming to people who generally feel uncomfortable around people or crowds.
- The price of the food at the convention : Unless you're super rich, I really suggest bringing your own food if possible. Seriously, some of these guys at the convention will try to squeeze 16 euros out of you for a tiny bowl of ramen, or 3 tiny onigiri. I'd rather make my own yummy sandwiches.
Demure said:
All in all, I'd say conventions are a whole lot of fun if you make the most out of each day and plan ahead what you want to do by checking out the scheduling. There's something for everyone to enjoy, so surely you'll find something that'll interest you.
I definitely second that. There are so many things that you can do at a convention, so if you don't plan ahead, you may feel a bit lost.
May 8, 2016 10:22 AM

Sep 2010
Demure said:

All in all, I'd say conventions are a whole lot of fun if you make the most out of each day and plan ahead what you want to do by checking out the scheduling. There's something for everyone to enjoy, so surely you'll find something that'll interest you.

yeah i start my day doing that, but then my friends come along and we end wasting 80% of our time, buying stuff from the dealers and missing most of the panels

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

60 by mizukasa »»
8 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

2 by Lhundrup »»
4 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

53 by epidemia78 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 7 hours ago

5 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

18 by billybub »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.