Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2016 3:14 AM

Jul 2012
Hey MAL, I have two questions. I've tried Googling this before but I've never found anything good.

First question is, why do all of my earphones start fucking up after a few months of usage? One side always stops working and then both sides mute. I'm currently using a Beats earphone (worth almost 100 dollars) and it already started failing one month in. I don't get it. I keep on switching earphones.

Second question is, why do some of my earphones start shocking my ears when I am outdoors? How do I prevent this?

Thank you for your time!
Apr 29, 2016 3:21 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
I think half the time it's cause you might be pulling on the cables too hard when getting them out which damages the ends. If you wind the cables really tight around your phone that also wears them out. I've had a couple sets for <$100 which have all been good over the years until I lost one of the earbuds.

I have no idea what you mean when you say shocking your ears though... electric shock?
Apr 29, 2016 3:26 AM
Apr 2013
To answer your first question, that really depends on which brand and type of earphone you are using. Low grade ones are well, tend to be short-lived. Beats earphones are terrible and people who knows about audio usually avoid them like the plague. What Tensho said about taking care your earphones might be factors into your earphone reliability.

Second, the shock might be from static electricity. Cold temperatures. Dry air. Faulty buds. The reasons are many but it does happen from time to time if the conditions are right.
Apr 29, 2016 3:36 AM

Jul 2012
Tensho said:
I have no idea what you mean when you say shocking your ears though... electric shock?
yes, like static electricity. sometimes when you are in a dry place, and you touch someone else, you both shock each other

Tensho said:
I think half the time it's cause you might be pulling on the cables too hard when getting them out which damages the ends. If you wind the cables really tight around your phone that also wears them out. I've had a couple sets for <$100 which have all been good over the years until I lost one of the earbuds.
aah thanks for the tips :S didn't know tightening would hurt it.

worldeditor11 said:
Second, the shock might be from static electricity. Cold temperatures. Dry air. Faulty buds. The reasons are many but it does happen from time to time if the conditions are right.
How do I fix it under cold temperature though? Put water on it??
Is it unhealthy for my ears?
Apr 29, 2016 3:49 AM

Apr 2013
My earphones also die after a few months, I don't remember it happening this early in the years before >.<
Bought some bluetooth earphones a while ago and so far they do their job. Though loading them is kinda annoying :P

Never got shocked by any though :o
Apr 29, 2016 3:59 AM

Jan 2015
Talking from experience, beats headphones are not the best, and compared to their price they are really bad. I suggest you try out sennheiser, they have really good quality in-ear, over ear headphones for every price category. 20-100$ For in-ear, I got one of them, and it works perfectly after 2 years.

@worldeditor11
Yes, they are terrible, I tried to say it nicely, but I would rather pay, to not use any beats, they are so bad...xD
Apr 29, 2016 4:23 AM
Apr 2013
Mayuka said:
How do I fix it under cold temperature though? Put water on it??
Is it unhealthy for my ears?

You can't fix it lol. You can only prevent it from happening.

If faulty cans, change them.

If cold temperature, move to a warmer environment.

If dry air, move to a more humid place.

Furthermore, getting static electricity may damage your earphones. About your ears though, I don't know but I don't think the shocks are potent enough to permanently damage your hearing or brain.

But if you got the money, get yourself a sports earphones or an in-ear for outdoor usage. Sports because they are generally more heavy duty compared to your standard buds. In-ear because the fitting seals off the canal from external environment influence (like dry air), hopefully preventing static. These are not 100% tried and tested solutions, they are just known to fix static for people.

For brands, it depends really. Budget. Purpose. Sound quality. Build quality. Power consumption. Reliability. But avoid Beats. Seriously, they are extremely overpriced considering their quality aren't really worth the greens you are shelling out for them.
worldeditor11Apr 29, 2016 4:45 AM
Apr 29, 2016 5:29 AM

Jan 2009
worldeditor11 said:
To answer your first question, that really depends on which brand and type of earphone you are using. Low grade ones are well, tend to be short-lived.
I have never had any major Problems with 10 Euro/Dollar Earphones, even after more than one Year of using them.
In Fact, the first Time I've started to use "Brands", Issues started like having to look for the Plastic Caps frequently and having lower Volume on the Earbuds because Earwax has gathered inside and/or the Cable was plugged a bit too hard.

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
1 hour ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
6 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.