Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2016 12:07 AM

Nov 2015
IQ is the strongest indicator of one's academic success. In most cases of people with a very high IQ (>140), it can also be observed that they're usually very well off financially.

Of all psychometric measures, IQ is the most reliable indicator of success. A high conscientiousness, say, isn't always necessary for success but IQ nearly always is. More formally, it could be said that IQ is necessary but not sufficient for success.

But there's one problem with knowing your IQ: It's professional suicide.

Honestly and bluntly, one's IQ is either 'good enough' or 'not enough'. If it's the former, then that, on the one hand, may raise your ambitions and boost your self-confidence but will also push you in the pits of pride and arrogance which will lead you to procrastinate or underestimate the tasks at hand. If your IQ falls in the latter, then that is just depressing. If I find out that my IQ is 100 or below it, it'll momentarily kill all my ambitions and after the ominous moment, I'll fumble around trying to find ways to prove how IQ is unreliable or outright disbelieve it. Or if I fail in doing so, I'll just let non-existent things such as EQ console me. (Yes, EQ doesn't exist)

So, what's your opinion on this?

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 28, 2016 12:14 AM
Nov 2011
I think it's great i mean since you know that you have an I.Q of 64 you have nowhere to go but up.

Go Trance go! You can do it! Ganbatte!

Apr 28, 2016 12:15 AM

Sep 2009
Just tell everyone they're the smartest person in the world and let the placebo effect make them successful. Or if they'r really stupid, then well... That's just unfortunate, hmm?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 28, 2016 12:17 AM

Jan 2009
Trance- said:
(Yes, EQ doesn't exist)

dude it exist, service oriented jobs as well as public speaking like politicians rely on EQ heavily and not just IQ

but as for the topic, ye i like to know my real IQ done by a professional psychologist
since i only have aptitude tests on college entrance exams, national achievement tests and job applications
and i only taken some IQ tests online that are no where reliable since it given me varying results from 80+ IQ up to 110+ IQ
Apr 28, 2016 12:20 AM

Feb 2015
Ignorance is bliss (or so I'm told), but arming yourself with information will help you to make significant life choices more wisely. For example: if you discover that your ability to detect patterns in strings of numbers and shapes is lacking, then you'll know to direct your education away from things like mathematics and engineering.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Apr 28, 2016 12:21 AM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Trance- said:
(Yes, EQ doesn't exist)

dude it exist, service oriented jobs as well as public speaking like politicians rely on EQ heavily and not just IQ

but as for the topic, ye i like to know my real IQ done by a professional psychologists
since i only have aptitude tests on college entrance exams, national achievement tests and job applications
and i only taken some IQ tests online that are no where reliable since it given me varying results from 80+ IQ up to 110+ IQ

A professional psychologist will tell you that EQ is a flawed concept.

http://snip.ly/ldm7m#http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9825531

I've never taken any other online IQ test than this: http://iqtest.dk/main.swf
It was good. People say it's one of the better ones. Maybe try this one out. But yes an IQ test taken by a pro psychologist is always better.
Mvsk said:
I think it's great i mean since you know that you have an I.Q of 64 you have nowhere to go but up.

Go Trance go! You can do it! Ganbatte!

You're a fan, stay a fucking fan. It's the idol that cheers up the fan, not the other way around.
MortalMelancholy said:
Just tell everyone they're the smartest person in the world and let the placebo effect make them successful. Or if they'r really stupid, then well... That's just unfortunate, hmm?

Placebo effect cannot increase one's cognitive abilities. It can increase confidence which in exam situations may help. But it will not increase what IQ measures.
Apr 28, 2016 12:23 AM
Mar 2008
I dont care how high or low my IQ is. Yeah, that CAN be a factor moving forward (or helping you moving forward) but in the end when it comes down to the attitude is more important.
People with high IQ can be lazy as hell, people with low IQ can work their ass off. In the end...........who cares about IQ, i dont. Either you do it or you dont.
Apr 28, 2016 12:24 AM

Jan 2009
Caelidesu said:
but arming yourself with information will help you to make significant life choices more wisely. For example: if you discover that your ability to detect patterns in strings of numbers and shapes is lacking, then you'll know to direct your education away from things like mathematics and engineering.

exactly what i have in mind too

denial will only make things worse its better to accept the most reliable indicator of intelligence at the moment to help you choose a career suited for you

knowing your limitations is always good
Apr 28, 2016 12:25 AM

Jan 2016
I think it's important. But the degree varies depending on if the occupation is service or technically oriented.

I've tried a few tests online, I'm definitely not >140. :'D So I've been fumbling around searching for anything that could disprove that - no luck though.
My score varied from 100 to 125 if you were wondering.
Apr 28, 2016 12:27 AM

Jan 2009
Trance- said:

It was good. People say it's one of the better ones. Maybe try this one out. But yes an IQ test taken by a pro psychologist is always better.

ah ye i got 104 IQ result on that one
i remember that IQ test on this thread - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1289099
so if that is reliable then i guess my IQ is just average/normal

EDIT:

i decided to retake the test and i got 110 now which still average IQ range
the test keeps getting tougher as it progresses and i just answered by intuition alone on question 30 and above

degApr 28, 2016 7:29 PM
Apr 28, 2016 12:36 AM

Jan 2014
Considering that everyone is a different individual with their own unique mental composition which can help or hinder them in comprehending thousands of different concepts that use different parts of the brain, and that attempting to numerically label something that covers so many different aspects of life in a world where you can pursue countless different interests is ultimately meaningless and reductive... nah.

Most of the "completely legit" IQ tests I've taken online involved being able to recognize very abstract, very artificial patterns, and I couldn't help but wonder how such a specific faculty could measure your efficiency in every aspect of life. Perhaps those tests have warped my ability to take IQ measurements seriously. Legitimate question for anyone who's familiar with this: What does an actual IQ test, not issued by a stranger on the internet, usually entail?
Apr 28, 2016 12:46 AM
Feb 2014
Trance- said:
IQ is the strongest indicator of one's academic success. In most cases of people with a very high IQ (>140), it can also be observed that they're usually very well off financially.

Explains why I've graduated Magna Cum Laude and am in fact very well off.

Of all psychometric measures, IQ is the most reliable indicator of success. A high conscientiousness, say, isn't always necessary for success but IQ nearly always is. More formally, it could be said that IQ is necessary but not sufficient for success.

You da man. IQ also measures objective intelligence. Some people are simply just better than others. A poor uneducated person can't subjectively be better than what I have done as spoken above.

Honestly and bluntly, one's IQ is either 'good enough' or 'not enough'. If it's the former, then that, on the one hand, may raise your ambitions and boost your self-confidence but will also push you in the pits of pride and arrogance which will lead you to procrastinate or underestimate the tasks at hand. If your IQ falls in the latter, then that is just depressing. If I find out that my IQ is 100 or below it, it'll momentarily kill all my ambitions and after the ominous moment, I'll fumble around trying to find ways to prove how IQ is unreliable or outright disbelieve it. Or if I fail in doing so, I'll just let non-existent things such as EQ console me. (Yes, EQ doesn't exist)

Are you suggesting that the higher the IQ, the higher the expectations and the more likely you are to delay accomplishing tasks? Because if so, this is me. However, conscientiousness is in general, a strong quality of me, as for short-term tasks I'm almost perfect, yet for long-term ones I tend to be slower, but I end up getting them done more efficiently. If so, I probably believe that as a pretty egotistical person as it is, would find this also correct.

OP is a buoyant fool.
Apr 28, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2015
Mvsk said:
Trance- said:

You're a fan, stay a fucking fan. It's the idol that cheers up the fan, not the other way around.

o0o0 salty

If your IQ was a little higher you would know that i am your idol and you're my fan. But oh well.... it can't be helped i guess. Hope the test fixes your confusion <3 *MUAH*

Fuck off. You ain't getting my IQ out of me like that.

Augustine- said:
Considering that everyone is a different individual with their own unique mental composition which can help or hinder them in comprehending thousands of different concepts that use different parts of the brain, and that attempting to numerically label something that covers so many different aspects of life in a world where you can pursue countless different interests is ultimately meaningless and reductive... nah.

Most of the "completely legit" IQ tests I've taken online involved being able to recognize very abstract, very artificial patterns, and I couldn't help but wonder how such a specific faculty could measure your efficiency in every aspect of life. Perhaps those tests have warped my ability to take IQ measurements seriously. Legitimate question for anyone who's familiar with this: What does an actual IQ test, not issued by a stranger on the internet, usually entail?

IQ claims only to measure intelligence (logical - mathematical) which is mostly utilized in the more rigorous academic fields.

There aren't thousands of abilities. Neither are there thousands of concepts. Those thousands of concepts can be reduced to a few principle concepts which will utilize a limited number of cognitive faculties.

What do you mean by artificial patterns?
IQ isn't meant to measure your efficiency in every aspect of life. For an instance, low IQ people are more successful at rearing children. But that isn't a flaw with IQ, that's just a quality low-IQ people possess.

The_Nico said:

OP is a buoyant fool.

Says the fucker who graduated in Magma Cum.
Apr 28, 2016 12:51 AM

Jan 2009
Augustine- said:

Most of the "completely legit" IQ tests I've taken online involved being able to recognize very abstract, very artificial patterns, and I couldn't help but wonder how such a specific faculty could measure your efficiency in every aspect of life.

i have not taken any formal IQ test but abstract reasoning or pattern matching is very helpful in filling in the blanks to a problem/puzzle and eventually solve it

for example in factory work i taken this kind http://iqtest.dk/main.swf of abstract reasoning tests too, it tests the job candidates ability to assemble components/parts of a product as quickly as possible, in an office work the ability to know patterns on big data provided by spreadsheets and database for example is helpful in finding meaningful information that the business can use, so ye abstract reasoning at least is very helpful on todays jobs
Apr 28, 2016 1:02 AM

Nov 2015
Mvsk said:
Trance- said:

o0o0 salty

If your IQ was a little higher you would know that i am your idol and you're my fan. But oh well.... it can't be helped i guess. Hope the test fixes your confusion <3 *MUAH*

"Fuck off. You ain't getting my IQ out of me like that."

Oh but i already have. Your salt is a good indicator that you are well below average.

Like i said twice already... good luck babe ;)

If only you knew ~
o - o - o ! ~

Harlequin said:
Why are you so obsessed with your IQ? Insecurities maybe? Emotional intelligence does exist, however it doesn't have much to do with nor is it a replacement for conventional IQ, anyone who would argue that is just trying boost their own confidence knowing their lack of intelligence.

Knowing my IQ wouldn't change much I assume. I've been called an imbecile before so it can't be higher than 40, maybe 50. Isn't changing your behaviour in a negative way after finding out your IQ in itself a sign of idiocy? IQ tests may be the most accurate thing we have to measure intelligence but it can't tell you much about how one uses that intelligence in practice.

My insecurities lie with lesbianism. I have no other insecurities.

Look the link above I posted in response to j0x. There's proof that EQ really doesn't exist.

IQ < 65 constitutes a mental illness. If I were to guess, you're easily in the 120-130 range.

A change in behavior after knowing one's limitations isn't an abnormal occurrence. It's exactly like trying to dunk in basketball. You tried over and over again. You practiced for months. But ultimately realized that due to your height, you cannot do that. It's perfectly reasonable to be frustrated about it; though it's another thing whether that frustration is more productive than outright ignoring the whole matter or not.

The intelligence that IQ measures is utilized a lot in real life. One only needs to be aware of what it is and where it's utilized.
Apr 28, 2016 1:04 AM
Feb 2014
Harlequin said:
Why are you so obsessed with your IQ? Insecurities maybe? Emotional intelligence does exist, however it doesn't have much to do with nor is it a replacement for conventional IQ, anyone who would argue that is just trying boost their own confidence knowing their lack of intelligence.

Knowing my IQ wouldn't change much I assume. I've been called an imbecile before so it can't be higher than 40, maybe 50. Isn't changing your behaviour in a negative way after finding out your IQ in itself a sign of idiocy? IQ tests may be the most accurate thing we have to measure intelligence but it can't tell you much about how one uses that intelligence in practice.

The matter of questioning another's intelligence is evident that you have entered the realm of solipsism, or have at least dabbled in that quandary.

Confidence is a terrific tenor to the vehicle of life. With more confident individuals, the more likelier we are to actually achieve things. A realm of cynicism is the existential fallacy that hinders both confidence and accomplishment, therefore, inhibiting objective intelligence at its fullest potential.

Furthermore, you cannot have 2 IQs or 2 types of intelligence while dealing with the overall intelligence quotient. The IQ test exists to test intelligence for that realm. If you want to question that, I suggest you base it off another paradigm that measures intelligence, in which there are few to say the least.
Apr 28, 2016 1:10 AM

Jan 2014
Trance- said:

IQ isn't meant to measure your efficiency in every aspect of life. For an instance, low IQ people are more successful at rearing children. But that isn't a flaw with IQ, that's just a quality low-IQ people possess.

That "artificial patterns" thing was me being butthurt about the sterile and detached way in which certain things are tested. Not really meant as a point against it, I just wanted to express my own distaste for the atmosphere it gives off.

I got a certain impression about the way that you emphasized the importance of IQ in your original post. You said that finding out your IQ is lower than 100 would "momentarily kill" all of your ambitions. Everything about the way you expressed the difference between having a low IQ and a high IQ, made it sound like life isn't worth living with a low IQ, as though you'd be incapable of accomplishing anything whatsoever, forever condemned to being a worthless, uneducated peasant. Now I'm not quite sure what kind of emphasis you're placing on it.
Apr 28, 2016 1:13 AM

Jan 2014
IQ does not always determine your success. There are people I know who are as dumb as a donkey but yet 'succeed' in life.
I'd suggest the people who do have comparatively less IQ should believe in the that fact and move on.
Apr 28, 2016 1:14 AM

Nov 2015
Augustine- said:
Trance- said:

That "artificial patterns" thing was me being butthurt about the sterile and detached way in which certain things are tested. Not really meant as a point against it, I just wanted to express my own distaste for the atmosphere it gives off.

I got a certain impression about the way that you emphasized the importance of IQ in your original post. You said that finding out your IQ is lower than 100 would "momentarily kill" all of your ambitions. Everything about the way you expressed the difference between having a low IQ and a high IQ, made it sound like life isn't worth living with a low IQ, as though you'd be incapable of accomplishing anything whatsoever, forever condemned to being a worthless, uneducated peasant. Now I'm not quite sure what kind of emphasis you're placing on IQ.

I did emphasize that knowing one's IQ to be low is a professional suicide. It's the reason why academic psychologists never measure their IQ.

Life doesn't become unworthy of living for one who has no professional/academic ambitions. If my reason to live is to 'enjoy' (in the most crude sense) then I'll be unaffected. If I live to play basketball, I'm still unaffected. But yes, having a low IQ is a sort of an official certificate of being 'stupid' (in the traditional sense) which is never a nice realization no matter how little bearing it may have on your life.
Apr 28, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2009
Trance- said:

since you are talking about EQ with another user too

that is proof that science is self-correcting, but how many research/studies are out there dismissing EQ? i mean is there a majority vote/consensus among psychologists already that EQ is really none existent already that they should change text books and public infos about it?
Apr 28, 2016 1:35 AM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Trance- said:

since you are talking about EQ with another user too

that is proof that science is self-correcting, but how many research/studies are out there dismissing EQ? i mean is there a majority vote/consensus among psychologists already that EQ is really none existent already that they should change text books and public infos about it?

EQ is basically big five's 'agreeableness'. It isn't anything in itself; it's just a new name given to the traits measured by Big Five.

For an in-detail analysis: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/247689668_Remaining_Issues_in_Emotional_Intelligence_Research_Construct_Overlap_Method_Artifacts_and_Lack_of_Incremental_Validity

Sure there isn't a consensus among psychologists/sociologists on this topic. But there needn't be any. If a concept is provably wrong, then it's wrong. Scientists for centuries didn't accept the atomic model, or the wave-particle duality. But that didn't make those theories false. Consensus isn't the standard.

There are more than a few problems with the current paradigm of social psychology: http://snip.ly/0s12n#http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/11/final-report-stapel-affair-points-bigger-problems-social-psychology

Thing is, psychology requires honesty. Radical honesty. Which sadly many psychologists and researchers do not possess. They sugarcoat things. They believe in the supernatural power of humans and God knows what other fantasies. I'll never take their word on anything other than what's observable or provable.
Apr 28, 2016 1:39 AM

Jun 2014
Augustine- said:
What does an actual IQ test, not issued by a stranger on the internet, usually entail?

Verbal Comprehension i.e. verbal portion of test
  • Vocabulary~semantic knowledge
  • Similarities~given 2 words/concepts, describe how similar
  • Information~General knowledge

Perceptual Reasoning non-verbal
  • block design~physically rearrange blocks to match a pattern
  • matrix reasoning~nonverbal abstract problem solving revolving around recognizing a pattern
  • visual puzzles~I find it to be the most common question via online IQ tests

Working Memory
  • Digit Span~recall series of numbers in order
  • arithmetic~self explanatory
  • letter number sequencing~recall series of numbers/letters in increasing order

Processing speed
  • a few tests done via paper and pencil to determine how quickly you can transfer data for the most part

There are other various sub tests within each category, but that should give you a general idea for the WAIS at least. There are other scales used, but I believe this is the most common one utilized by psychologists today. Online tests are typically more limited in scope and the time it takes for the test is typically drastically different. Organizations such as Mensa use an online test as a form of pre-screening for the actual test and make it clear that the online test itself in no way gives an accurate representation of one's IQ but rather may indicate whether one is prepared for the test itself.

@topic I could see how knowing may be detrimental, but I could also see it being beneficial as well depending on their own personal mentality.
retiring_animeApr 28, 2016 2:18 AM
Apr 28, 2016 1:41 AM

Jan 2009
Trance- said:

Thing is, psychology requires honesty. Radical honesty. Which sadly many psychologists and researchers do not possess. They sugarcoat things. They believe in the supernatural power of humans and God knows what other fantasies. I'll never take their word on anything other than what's observable or provable.

ah i agree, im aware of news too like psychology has a reproducibility crisis
psychology is part of soft science so ye even the public have bad reputation about it from time to time
neuroscience once it matures will likely replace psychology and other social science
but for now psychology still using the scientific method so its still gonna be self-correcting and its still better than faith at least
Apr 28, 2016 1:46 AM

Mar 2008
It's not important to limit ones self to the confines of a biased concept of intelligence. A person should learn what is relevant to every day life and their own personal goals instead of a pissing contest.

Trance- said:

Some say a lot of psychology is a flawed

I have a bit of anxiety right now and was listening to music while doing this so that screwed me up :(

Apr 28, 2016 1:56 AM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
Trance- said:

ah i agree, im aware of news too like psychology has a reproducibility crisis
psychology is part of soft science so ye even the public have bad reputation about it from time to time
neuroscience once it matures will likely replace psychology and other social science
but for now psychology still using the scientific method so its still gonna be self-correcting and its still better than faith at least

It doesn't have a reproducibility crises per se. It's the fault of the asinine researchers who use ambitious hypothesis but half-heartedly carry out the experiment then don't even compile their results in a scientific manner.

Neuroscience will not replace behavioral psychology to say the least. I see neurology and psychology coalescing in the future. One will not eat up the other but rather both will combine as one.

traed said:
It's not important to limit ones self to the confines of a biased concept of intelligence. A person should learn what is relevant to every day life and their own personal goals instead of a pissing contest.

IQ isn't a pissing contest by nature. It has been made so. And it's biased just as much as a study aimed at gauging the population of males in a given sample of population. When its sole purpose is to measure 'intelligence' (which is wholly separate from knowledge/experience/wisdom) it cannot be called biased for being what it is.

Some say a lot of psychology is a flawed

It's a budding science. Give it time.
Apr 28, 2016 1:59 AM

Jan 2014
Trance- said:
Life doesn't become unworthy of living for one who has no professional/academic ambitions. If my reason to live is to 'enjoy' (in the most crude sense) then I'll be unaffected. If I live to play basketball, I'm still unaffected. But yes, having a low IQ is a sort of an official certificate of being 'stupid' (in the traditional sense) which is never a nice realization no matter how little bearing it may have on your life.

I'm not going to deny the accuracy of professional IQ tests, since I'm not familiar enough with the process and I don't want to talk about something I don't know anything about, but this is sort of why I don't think knowing your IQ is important. Accurate or not, should a numerical value influence the way you behave in life? Should I give up on my ambitions just because a number told me I'm horrifyingly average? It's not the same as measuring the operating efficiency of a machine, which is constant and unchanging. If a machine is incapable of doing something, it really is incapable of it. But humans don't have such obvious restrictions. Having an IQ of 105 might lower my chances of contributing anything of worth to the academic world, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out entirely.

I suppose it comes off as a bit defeatist, and makes my whole reason for being flimsy, that I can be dissuaded from doing something I want to do because the number says I'm not allowed. And that's not a personal criticism of your mindset, to be clear.
Apr 28, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2015
Trance- said:

I hope it's an easy one, because I got 126 without trying and in a cloud of weed's smoke. First time doinbg an IQ test in nearly 20 years, but I don't trust IQ or internet enough to give it any credit.

DeathkoApr 28, 2016 2:33 AM
Apr 28, 2016 2:26 AM
Jul 2015
If there were only one IQ test, yes, why not.

But with the amount there are out there... I don't think it would be useful.

And internet IQ tests don't counts.

Apr 28, 2016 2:31 AM
Jul 2018
I think that intelligence is not so simple as to be expressed by a single number.
It's exactly like with speed or weight.

And yeah, you can trust me more than dozens of experts in the field who has spent innumerable time researching it.
Apr 28, 2016 2:32 AM

Aug 2015
I guess it would be fun to know your own IQ, but I don't think it's completely necessary.
Apr 28, 2016 2:36 AM

Jan 2009

not surprising it just confirms my interpretation that both of you are smart
Apr 28, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2015
j0x said:

I'm also unemployed, lazy, socially awkward and a complete underachiever, but thx I guess :p.

Tho it's really just a logical test. A bunch of question at the end just had too many parameters and I ain't got time for dat right now :p.
Apr 28, 2016 2:41 AM

Nov 2015
Augustine- said:
Trance- said:

I'm not going to deny the accuracy of professional IQ tests, since I'm not familiar enough with the process and I don't want to talk about something I don't know anything about, but this is sort of why I don't think knowing your IQ is important. Accurate or not, should a numerical value influence the way you behave in life? Should I give up on my ambitions just because a number told me I'm horrifyingly average? It's not the same as measuring the operating efficiency of a machine, which is constant and unchanging. If a machine is incapable of doing something, it really is incapable of it. But humans don't have such obvious restrictions. Having an IQ of 105 might lower my chances of contributing anything of worth to the academic world, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out entirely.

I suppose it comes off as a bit defeatist, and makes my whole reason for being flimsy, that I can be dissuaded from doing something I want to do because the number says I'm not allowed. And that's not a personal criticism of your mindset, to be clear.

Fair enough.

Dessembrae said:
I think that intelligence is not so simple as to be expressed by a single number.
It's exactly like with speed or weight.

And yeah, you can trust me more than dozens of experts in the field who has spent innumerable time researching it.

Dej dej dej! Enlighten me!

Are you talking about the general factor (g) or the specific factors (s)?
Apr 28, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
Clebardman said:
j0x said:

I'm also unemployed, lazy, socially awkward and a complete underachiever, but thx I guess :p.

ah at least sick people like me are not the only ones that are NEET so thanks for that too
Apr 28, 2016 3:05 AM

Sep 2009
Trance- said:

MortalMelancholy said:

Placebo effect cannot increase one's cognitive abilities. It can increase confidence which in exam situations may help. But it will not increase what IQ measures.

It doesn't need to increase their cognitive abilities. Confidence is OP.
Apr 28, 2016 3:22 AM

Apr 2009
Trance- said:

a professional psychologist will also tell you that the IQ is a flawed concept.
though we're pretty proud of what we have so far i think. as a community. i personally don't think it means that much but okkk

anyways, yeah sure. i'd like to do an IQ test some time just because i like doing tests about myself lol. but i'm not a particular fan of the concept and sure it'll feel nice to have this number saying 'ur smart' but at the same time i am 90% sure i'll just get a score of around 120 because i have issues with attention and at some point i'll just get sick of it and start bs-ing just to get things over with.
besides, i'll have to do it in an english speaking country i think? because doing it in my native language will put me at a disadvantage. and i don't live in the UK/US/Canada/Australia so who knows when i'll get around to that. either way, meh.
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Apr 28, 2016 3:31 AM

May 2015
Is it?

I heard IQ is just poppycock, a way for idiots to easily box people into 'intelligent' and 'not intelligent'.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 28, 2016 3:32 AM

Sep 2009
TheBrainintheJar said:
Is it?

I heard IQ is just poppycock, a way for idiots to easily box people into 'intelligent' and 'not intelligent'.

Eh, I think it's a good indicator of how quickly a person can think inside of a box.
Or a jar :3
Apr 28, 2016 3:34 AM

Feb 2013
IQ is just a number is serves little reason

What can be good about it is how it can tell you your strengths and weakness in subjects

But even that is a bad judge to how capable you are.
Apr 28, 2016 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
Is it?

I guess all those researchers that spent decades researching it must be pretty dumb, eh?
Though I guess it's hard for them to measure up to your genius.

Trance- said:

Wow, I always thought g referred to gravity velocity increase and s to sadism.
The more you know.
Apr 28, 2016 4:16 AM

Nov 2015
kawaiiyuris said:
Trance- said:

a professional psychologist will also tell you that the IQ is a flawed concept.
though we're pretty proud of what we have so far i think. as a community. i personally don't think it means that much but okkk

Then he'll just be giving me his own flawed opinion. Because IQ, as a concept, isn't flawed; the way it is applied, tested, may be so.

Dessembrae said:

Trance- said:

Wow, I always thought g referred to gravity velocity increase and s to sadism.
The more you know.

g refers to acceleration due to gravity and s to seconds -the unit of time, if we're talking physics.

Damn you dej
Apr 28, 2016 6:30 AM

Jan 2016
I think IQ is just a score which represent how good you are at logic, memory and noticing pattern. It only affect things related with those mentioned.

So IQ doesn't have anything to do with your behavior, unless you're actually contemplating on it. That's why there's some people who have high IQ but doing inappropriate things.

As for whether it's directly determine your success, then no. Success is mostly gained from recognition, and recognition is determined by how people see what you actually do, not by how good you figure out something inside your mind. having high IQ also doesn't mean genius. I think genius is having high IQ and he think a lot about specific thing that he sees and understands far more things about it, ahead than the rest of people, which also requires immense imagination. This also means average IQ can also be genius, but it might take fairly more effort and longer time. And having high IQ only means that you have good equipment inside your head. Whether you use it or not and how you use it is up to you. Not to mention our head is more than that, so IQ only represent some part of our head.

The problem is those silly people who judge people by their IQ and immediately make prejudice that if you have low IQ, then whatever idea you come up with and whatever thing you did is not a great thing. There are surprisingly a lot more people like that than you might think. So I think it's always better not to tell your IQ professionally and let people guess your IQ by the ideas you come up and what you did, just like Steve Jobs did. Meaning, knowing your IQ is all right but keep it private. Also, there's chance your IQ will change overtime. So having low IQ is not the end.

Simply put: IQ is overrated.

I thought I could get better score, though. But meh.
ReirakuApr 28, 2016 9:47 AM
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Apr 28, 2016 6:34 AM

Mar 2008
Trance- said:
IQ isn't a pissing contest by nature. It has been made so. And it's biased just as much as a study aimed at gauging the population of males in a given sample of population. When its sole purpose is to measure 'intelligence' (which is wholly separate from knowledge/experience/wisdom) it cannot be called biased for being what it is.

You can have a good idea of a persons inteligennce level even without a number so it's not that necisary except for diagnosis cognitive issues.

It's a budding science. Give it time.

It's a soft science.

Clebardman said:
I hope it's an easy one, because I got 126 without trying and in a cloud of weed's smoke. First time doinbg an IQ test in nearly 20 years, but I don't trust IQ or internet enough to give it any credit.

I think weed helps you recall memories and conecting abstracts. Did you get through all the questions? I wasted time on one I didnt get so hd like 5 questions left ufinished.
Apr 28, 2016 7:18 AM

Sep 2013
I mean, what exactly would one plan to do with this information? Seems like an awful lot of effort, going through an IQ test, just for a simple number.
Apr 28, 2016 7:31 AM

Jan 2016
tokenfemale said:
I mean, what exactly would one plan to do with this information? Seems like an awful lot of effort, going through an IQ test, just for a simple number.

Self-awareness. Just like what you did with personality test, I guess.
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Apr 28, 2016 7:34 AM

Sep 2013
ALLmost said:
tokenfemale said:

But does that seem like a healthy self awareness to have? What if it's low? Some people might see that as an opportunity to better themselves, yes, but many others will also see it as a sign that they should just give up. In this case, I'm willing to argue that ignorance might be bliss.
Apr 28, 2016 7:56 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:
Clebardman said:

I think weed helps you recall memories and conecting abstracts. Did you get through all the questions? I wasted time on one I didnt get so hd like 5 questions left ufinished.

Nah I answered them all but I had to take someone to the hospital, so I didn't take the time to think much about the last 3 or 4 questions, I just picked visually pleasing answers lol. I finished the test with 15-20 minutes left or something.
DeathkoApr 28, 2016 8:10 AM
Apr 28, 2016 8:10 AM

Jan 2016
tokenfemale said:
ALLmost said:

But does that seem like a healthy self awareness to have? What if it's low? Some people might see that as an opportunity to better themselves, yes, but many others will also see it as a sign that they should just give up. In this case, I'm willing to argue that ignorance might be bliss.

I agree that ignorance is a bliss. Really.
But people who decide to give up means they simply stop wanting it. If they truly want that, then it's clear that they just need to work hard, or as you say it, better themselves, right? If they say they give up but still dreaming of it, then it means they don't really give up, they still want it but they don't want to put the effort. It's kind of torturing. Unhealthy. But what's unhealthy is that decision to "pretend" giving up, not the knowledge that give the reason to. And giving up in a sense of truly stop wanting it, is not a bad thing. They just want the easy way in life and doesn't want through the hard way. It's just a choice.
Again, I still agree that ignorance is a bliss. It's avoiding human error which lead to hurting themselves, especially in this case.
ReirakuApr 28, 2016 3:57 PM
Apr 28, 2016 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
Really, it's just a test of visual logic and pattern recognition. Nobody should care about IQ.
Apr 28, 2016 8:21 AM

Sep 2009
Trance- said:

So according to what you have just said, your IQ is either "good enough" or "not good enough" and is therefore the principal factor in determining how likely one is to 'succeed'.

Yet at the same time, knowing what your IQ score is will be 'professional suicide' because it will cause you to become either arrogant and lazy, or unambitious or in denial.

According to the IQ tests that I have taken, my IQ is above average, but I don't think it would have to be particularly high to spot the obvious contradiction in what you have said. Because if knowing your IQ is 'professional suicide' because it will make you arrogant or unambitious, you have already conceded that being arrogant or unambitious is more influential than intelligence.

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

34 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 4 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
38 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.