Forum Settings
Forums

[Poll] Fanservice in series with good plot are getting annoying?

New
Mar 22, 2016 8:38 PM

Jul 2015
There are too many examples of this, imo is really sad bc some of them are getting low scoring because unnecessary ecchi
I think the anime producers of this times are only focusing in boobs and butts way more than the actually plot.

As a ecchi lover this is getting really annoying cuz they're spamming boobs everywhere...

k m8 *clears throat*
kyutoraMar 23, 2016 8:54 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 22, 2016 8:44 PM

Sep 2015
I don't know where you're coming from. As of lately I've only seen bad show with fanservice.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 22, 2016 8:51 PM

Feb 2013
lol@"series with good plot "

why not give names?
Mar 22, 2016 8:59 PM

Oct 2015
I'm waiting here for the ecchi prince @Mamster-P ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 22, 2016 9:02 PM

May 2014
Look at fairy tail. Look, there's a time and a place, and this is an example where they don't know this. You can't take serious fights seriously because it's followed by boobs in your face.

The other day there was a serious scene in one piece but beccause of boob physics I couldn't find it serious, and this is from a viewpoint from it being my favorite show.

there's a time and a place, and some shows don't seem to understand this. I don't wanna see fanservice but if it knows the time and place I wouldn't mind as much, but for fucks sake some of this shit gets RIDICULOUS. I cannot take a show seriously if it throws any boob scene they can to attract attention. If it's an ecchi then good for it, if not then it could try a little better to be a good show. lol.
Mar 22, 2016 9:03 PM

Sep 2013
Why stop at "with good plots"? Fanservice in general is getting damn annoying. It'd be so nice if anime could learn from Iron-Blooded Orphans.
romagia said:
lol@"series with good plot "

why not give names?
If I had to bet, I'd put money on OP hinting at Grimgar.
Mar 22, 2016 9:04 PM

Jan 2016
Another ecchi/fanservice thread... Haha!

I'm getting tired of arguing for ecchi/fanservice...

So I'll just wrap it up saying that there's nothing wrong with it. Ecchi is good.
Mar 22, 2016 9:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
OssMoses said:
I'm waiting here for the ecchi prince @Mamster-P ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? I THOUGHT I SCARED YOU ECCHI THREAD STARTERS AWAY

i'll wait for the baity comments before i flame this shit
Mar 22, 2016 9:07 PM

Mar 2010
Depends on it's used e.g. Misato "presenting" herself to Shinji, giving their relationship a sexual component, making it all the more awkward, and informing you about her character. I'm not adverse to sexuality, but meaningless titillation isn't something I welcome with open arms.
Mar 22, 2016 9:08 PM

Jun 2015
Kill la Kill would like a word with you. The ecchi IS the plot.
Mar 22, 2016 9:12 PM

Feb 2016
I think everything just needs proper balance, long as it doesn't go over board and basically rewrite the plot to focus on harem/ecchi... its passable imo. So, a little bit doesn't hurt. Long as its balanced, I see no problems. I don't care for FS in general, especially when some isn't particularly 'meant to be' FS. (Like just a 20~ sec casual shower, thinking about what happened.) May be classified as FS still, but I just see it as casual. "The norm", more or less.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Mar 22, 2016 9:14 PM

Nov 2008
Most fanservice shows are bad LN adaptations now, the good news is that we won't have anymore after this year as every single one that can be adapted has been announced to have an adaptation or is already adapted.

Mar 22, 2016 9:21 PM
Oct 2014
I voted "No! Ecchi is Love Ecchi is life!"

For me, anime is a guilty pleasure. I'll admit, I'll often be attracted to shows because of the fanservice. Yeah, I'm one of those guys ruining anime for the rest of you. Sorry.

But seriously, I consider ecchi to be one of the three bonuses that can add to the entertainment value, the other two being sci-fi/fantasy elements and humor. It's not that I won't watch shows without these three bonuses, but they do tend to make them more enjoyable for me.

That said, ecchi alone won't make me enjoy a series. I can name several shows full of fanservice (e.g. Seikon no Qwaser, Freezing, Manyuu Hikenchou) that I don't particularly like.

A show has to have a solid core of a decent plot and characters in order to entertain me. Ecchi/fanservice is just the icing on the cake.
Mar 22, 2016 9:52 PM

Apr 2015
why would someone not like ecchi, the only reason that i can think of is that the ecchi part is not well delivered or draggy
internet is a cruel mistress
Mar 22, 2016 9:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
where are the baity comments? how am i supposed to flame this thread without them?
Mar 22, 2016 9:58 PM
Jan 2015
I don't mind it, especially if everything else is good too.
My Queens

Mar 22, 2016 9:59 PM

Mar 2014
I don't think I've seen an otherwise great show get ruined by fan service. All the fan servicey shoes I've dropped have had a lot of other problems. Nisemonogatari probably would have been better if it focused more on dialogue than on fan service even if that fan service was pretty hot, but that's all I can think of, and even then it didn't ruin it.
Mar 22, 2016 10:02 PM

Mar 2015
I've never liked fanservice, much less ecchi lol.
Even as a kid, all the fanservice scenes in Fairy Tail made me cringe.
Mar 22, 2016 10:08 PM

Feb 2013
I have zero interest in fanservice that is aimed at guys (which I presume is what you're referring to), so I don't care if it's there or not. If it's the only thing there I won't watch, if there're interesting elements to the story, I might, so I understand why fanservice shows have plots-- to expand the audience to include people like me.
Mar 22, 2016 10:17 PM

Jun 2012
I'm pretty sure the people producing anime nowadays are far less concerned about some abstract rating on a third tier American anime forum with an English speaking community than they care about what puts money in their pockets at the end of the day.

And no, I'm not annoyed by it. I kind of like it.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 22, 2016 10:46 PM

Dec 2015
Gawd dammit you gaiz, op is right!
Bewbs are ruining anime, and we need to enhance the plot with more thought provoking tropes..

Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 22, 2016 10:50 PM

Aug 2015
At least ecchi with good plot are a lot better than the ecchi with no plot.

And did I mention that I watch ecchi only for the plot? ^_^
Mar 22, 2016 10:51 PM

Dec 2014
Nah, IMO it really doesn't. Too much of anything however, is bad.
Thinking.....
Mar 22, 2016 10:51 PM

Aug 2010
People should stop caring about it imo. Sometimes it's done really badly but it's just a minority. I mean, seriously man, if the story is intersting but you can't let your eyes stare something else than the boobs, the problem doesn't come from the anime but from you tbh.
Mar 22, 2016 11:02 PM

Apr 2015
In most cases I don't mind it but I mean sometimes it's just straight up unnecessary which gets rather irritating.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Mar 22, 2016 11:04 PM

Dec 2015
Theres never a bad moment for some fanservice. :p

Except when u really wanna see the story progress...then idk
Mar 22, 2016 11:20 PM

Dec 2015
KonaKoffee4 said:
Bewbs are ruining anime, and we need to enhance the plot with more thought provoking tropes..

His stomach looks like a rattlesnake's tail.
Mar 22, 2016 11:33 PM
Sep 2011
AltoRoark99 said:
Kill la Kill would like a word with you. The ecchi IS the plot.

That I can agree with. That show knows how ridiculous it is and runs with it. If it's a show that's made with fanservice in mind, then it's not out of place and you're not watching it with the feeling of having to look past the fanservice to find something to enjoy.

A show like Cross Ange on the other hand expects you to take its dark and gritty tone with its themes of racism and gruesome character deaths seriously while also throwing as much ecchi in your face as it can without outright being a hentai. The two just don't mix.

Fanservice can be used in a more serious anime, but there should be a time and a place for it, like during the obligatory beach episodes that serve as relief from the main plot.
Mar 23, 2016 12:13 AM

Nov 2014
Well, it isn't the case for me.. I enjoyed Prison School a lot although their amount of fanservice is too much.. their plot is still a very good ones though, and i'm not addicted to ecchi so i found it's okay.. I only have some problems with the anime where the ecchi scenes overwhelm the plot/story..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 23, 2016 12:21 AM

Mar 2016
I really hate ecchi in serious anime, a good romance is all that's needed. I do like ecchi but in the anime that it's supposed to be in not in serious plot.
Mar 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Sep 2015
Like anything else, there's a time and a place for everything. If I'm watching an otherwise serious anime or something where fanservice really isn't needed, I likely won't enjoy it as much as those where ecchi scenes are prevalent from the get go.

I'm of the opinion, though, that if they're going to throw in fanservice, go all the way with it. Make it as extreme as possible. If the fanservice isn't going to be as good as that from an ecchi series, don't bother forcing it in in the first place because it's automatically worse. Hardly constitutes as fanservice at that point.
It might shit on the pacing and the plot all the same, but at least it's more enjoyable to watch.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 23, 2016 12:35 AM

Apr 2010
After watching one episode of high school DxD, I stopped watching any anime with the genre ecchi. Why? Because if the anime is so focused on boobs, I'd rather pass. Just lately I tried to watch an ecchi, though with PG13 rate. All the ecchi parts are embarrassing to watch (I don't care it's weird) but still acceptable for me. But R+ won't work.

To make things short, if it's not too much, maybe. But when it becomes more than this, hell no. People say DxD is beautiful. But for me, as long as it goes around stupid things like women's body and perverted guy... It can't be that awesome.

Mar 23, 2016 12:38 AM

Jan 2014
lol guys complaining about "ecchi" saying they don't want it

Mar 23, 2016 12:41 AM

Nov 2009
I think that in general, well-used fanservice makes a show better.

There are very few shows that misplace fanservice so much it makes the viewers (or at least me) uncomfortable. Like the scenes criminals in Triage X use to prove they are really bad and deserve to die.
(In case you are not familiar with the anime - they're kind of like SAO's scenes with Asuna and Oberon/Sugou and his tentacled scientists, only worse, because the women are usually beaten up)
That was probably intentional in Highschool of the Dead, as it's a horror.

And there are some shows that are bad at showing restraint with fanservice, which stops working right. Like Najika Blitz Tactics. They are rare too.

Kezone said:
I have zero interest in fanservice that is aimed at guys (which I presume is what you're referring to), so I don't care if it's there or not. If it's the only thing there I won't watch, if there're interesting elements to the story, I might, so I understand why fanservice shows have plots-- to expand the audience to include people like me.

I think it's the other way around - the authors add fanservice to expand the audience toward the male side.
Adding fanservice is always easier than adding plot. Just be male, and ask yourself a question - would the story be better if this character was a scantly-clad woman?
(Naturally, the answer is "yes" most of the time, unless the character is meant to die by MC's hand)

KonaKoffee4 said:

Ouch. This picture makes me understand why girls dislike male-oriented fanservice. Real men would not look like that, it's too much even for a bodybuilder.
Mar 23, 2016 12:45 AM
Feb 2015
when there's a good plot, especially a very well-developed and serious plot, fanservice is okay because you sometimes need something to lighten the depressing mood.
However, if a plot is ruined by ecchi, fuck that shit I'm out
Mar 23, 2016 12:47 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:

I think it's the other way around - the authors add fanservice to expand the audience toward the male side.
Adding fanservice is always easier than adding plot. Just be male, and ask yourself a question - would the story be better if this character was a scantly-clad woman?
(Naturally, the answer is "yes" most of the time, unless the character is meant to die by MC's hand)

Your opinion =/= fact. If they have to add nudity because they can't come up with another way of keeping the viewer's attention, I personally wouldn't consider that a positive thing.
Mar 23, 2016 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
-Maz said:
I'm of the opinion, though, that if they're going to throw in fanservice, go all the way with it. Make it as extreme as possible. If the fanservice isn't going to be as good as that from an ecchi series, don't bother forcing it in in the first place because it's automatically worse. Hardly constitutes as fanservice at that point.
It might shit on the pacing and the plot all the same, but at least it's more enjoyable to watch.

I don't think so. A panty shot or a beach episode isn't going to make an anime worse even if it's otherwise serious.

EfiChan said:
After watching one episode of high school DxD, I stopped watching any anime with the genre ecchi. Why? Because if the anime is so focused on boobs, I'd rather pass.

I watched a few episodes of Highschool DxD myself, and even though MC's personality was too uncool for me and I dropped it, it didn't seem all that breastful.
I can understand it if a man finds fanservice too distracting and seems to forget everything else that happened around the fanservice (like some people who forget Mai-sempai from Musaigen Phantom World is anything but a pair of breasts), because hormones and stuff.
But I do not understand it when it happens to females. Unless they're into women too.
Mar 23, 2016 12:54 AM

Apr 2013
> OP: "there are too many examples of this"
> doesn't even give one example
Mar 23, 2016 1:09 AM

Mar 2015
Mirai Nikki fan-service doesn't bother me. It that call fan-service BTW?
This salad is salty favored
Mar 23, 2016 1:11 AM

Nov 2009
-Maz said:
flannan said:

Your opinion =/= fact. If they have to add nudity because they can't come up with another way of keeping the viewer's attention, I personally wouldn't consider that a positive thing.

1) That was meant to be dramatic exaggeration, not an actual guide to making anime.
2) Subjectivity is already included - the instruction specifically says that the one asking the question has to be male. The hornier the male, the better (for fanservice) the result.
3) No, nobody adds fanservice to keep the viewer's attention. That's what we have the plot and characters for. Fanservice is there to keep the viewer happy. Because we aren't making some drama.
Mar 23, 2016 1:13 AM

Nov 2009
_Esper_ said:
Mirai Nikki fan-service doesn't bother me. It that call fan-service BTW?

Depending on the specific scene you mean, it can be called Fan Disservice. At least, that's what Tvtropes call it.
Mar 23, 2016 1:18 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
-Maz said:

1) That was meant to be dramatic exaggeration, not an actual guide to making anime.
2) Subjectivity is already included - the instruction specifically says that the one asking the question has to be male. The hornier the male, the better (for fanservice) the result.
3) No, nobody adds fanservice to keep the viewer's attention. That's what we have the plot and characters for. Fanservice is there to keep the viewer happy. Because we aren't making some drama.

I fail to see how just watching the series enough on its own isn't enough to keep a viewer happy. If you're enjoying what's happening, the fanservice isn't needed.
In fact, depending on one's view on fanservice it can even make something worse because of the inclusion of it.

And like I said in my other post - there's simply a time and a place for everything. The "connecting emotions" drama they were throwing off in every episode of Prince of Stride was silly, because at the end of the day all they were doing was parkour. The dramsa was unnecessary. Having a tear-jerking anime include some cheesy comedy during a sad moment where it doesn't fit the mood at all is unnecessary.
Fanservice is no exception to this. Shoehorning it in for the sake of pandering is quite naturally not going to appeal to many people.
Mar 23, 2016 1:32 AM

Nov 2009
-Maz said:
flannan said:

I fail to see how just watching the series enough on its own isn't enough to keep a viewer happy. If you're enjoying what's happening, the fanservice isn't needed.

That must be because we look for different things in anime. My life is dreary, and I turn to anime to be happier. It's not enough for me to just immerse myself in an engaging story, I want it to actually uplift my spirits.
That's why I'm much more sensitive to the levels of happiness in a show.
At my lowest points, Cute Girls Doing Cute Things is just the thing I need - no tension, no plot that might lead the characters to suffering, moe characters to keep my attention.
At any point, I want good endings.
I can only watch stories about characters experiencing extreme hardships at my strongest points. Or because I've already started watching them, and can't abandon the characters until they get to the good ending.
And I'm very vulnerable to despair.

Did I explain it well?
Mar 23, 2016 1:37 AM

Jun 2008
The ENTIRE Monogatari series laughs at you guys.....

^There is no denying the GOAT of anime....
Mar 23, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2013
Give me a lot of examples of anime with a good plot that are ruined by fanservice OP unless of course you're pulling everything you said from your ass.
Mar 23, 2016 4:54 AM

Jan 2014
Bobby2Hands said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

His stomach looks like a rattlesnake's tail.
makes it even better
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Mar 23, 2016 5:58 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
-Maz said:

That must be because we look for different things in anime. My life is dreary, and I turn to anime to be happier. It's not enough for me to just immerse myself in an engaging story, I want it to actually uplift my spirits.
That's why I'm much more sensitive to the levels of happiness in a show.
At my lowest points, Cute Girls Doing Cute Things is just the thing I need - no tension, no plot that might lead the characters to suffering, moe characters to keep my attention.
At any point, I want good endings.
I can only watch stories about characters experiencing extreme hardships at my strongest points. Or because I've already started watching them, and can't abandon the characters until they get to the good ending.
And I'm very vulnerable to despair.

Did I explain it well?

Sure. It doesn't really contradict what I'm saying either. What I care about is how the fanservice is handled. There are some series that simply do not need it, flat; just how there are some series which are designed completely around it and are based on titillating the viewer.

If an anime has a somewhat mature or darker plot, fanservice will usually serve only to ruin the immersion. If it exists solely to try and appease a certain type of viewer, rather than occuring naturally, the atmosphere suffers for it. When suddenly there is unwarranted nudity being thrown in my face when there isn't a sufficient reason for it, how am I to consider the fanservice a positive thing? If I wanted to see jiggling boobs and watch something feel-good and lighthearted, I'd simply go and watch a CGDCT anime. Having an anime shit over itself to try and appease sad viewers is inane.

It also doesn't help that far too many people consider fanservice to be synonymous with sexual gratification. You can give service to fans in a myriad of ways; relying on base nudity all the time gets boring. Look at Musaigen no Phantom World - in the more recent episodes the amount of overt fanservice has subsided; they've instead given it in other, less crass ways. For instance, take the festival episode they had. We got to see the characters dress up in different clothes, wearing yukatas and the like instead. We get to see attractive people wearing something other than yet another highschool uniform, and that in itself can serve as fanservice. It was made relevant to the story, rather than feeling forced or obligatory too, to boot.
I might have a lot of other issues with Musaigen, but the way it handles its fanservice is not one of them.

Simply put, if an event happens unnaturally and feels forced just for the sake of pandering to a certain subset of viewers, it will take away from my immersion in the story. If they are going to put in fanservice no matter what, I'd at the very least like for it to feel natural and relevant. I'd like a reason for it. I always shake my head when I'm watching a mecha or military anime, for example, and the female soldiers never wear trousers. For some inexplicable reason, it's an absolute law that they must have their arse hanging out.
To me, it just looks stupid. I've yet to see a decent reason as to why females and females alone must always have their arse hanging out in their uniforms. That's just another type of what I consider to be poorly handled fanservice.
Mar 23, 2016 6:16 AM
Oct 2013
To me, whether I prefer ecchi in a series depends of how it's executed. If it's not shoved down our throats and is applied suitably to a situation, it's fine. It
s really when it gets in the way of plot progression or stops it completely that I get frustrated. There have been times when it has been applied properly, but that has been overshadowed by anime and manga that have ecchiness that gets in the way or just plainly makes no sense
Mar 23, 2016 6:19 AM

Oct 2014
Some anime like Gunbuster, Kill la Kill and the Monogatari series have ecchi and it actually makes the anime better but most times anime with ecchi don't even try to have a plot, specially "nowadays" like you said your poll, there aren't even anime with good plot anyways, ecchi or not.
Mar 23, 2016 6:22 AM

Oct 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Give me a lot of examples of anime with a good plot that are ruined by fanservice OP unless of course you're pulling everything you said from your ass.
I don't know about anime that were destroyed by ecchi because most ecchi know what they want to be from the very beginning but I'd have Nanatsu no Taizai and Nisemonogatari higher on my consideration if they had less ecchi.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

39 by deg »»
12 seconds ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 minutes ago

1 by Spunkert »»
33 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

228 by KeyiOs »»
50 seconds ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 14 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 45 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.