Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2016 11:58 AM
Mar 2011
Why did it recently get deleted from MAL and then resubmitted?
Feb 15, 2016 12:30 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Indeed. MAL never ceases to amaze me.
Feb 15, 2016 1:33 PM

Apr 2015
Came here to say this. I knew something had changed about my favorites. The hell?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2016 4:53 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
cyruz said:
February 14
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the N.H.K.) | Novel (5249) - Regular novel.

Well, this is the reason. You should always check the Manga DB - Recent Entry Merges/Removals/Denials thread when something is gone.

As for the stats, whenever you make a change, they update. Unfortunately, they don't reset on their own.
Feb 17, 2016 3:03 AM

Apr 2013
Maffy said:
cyruz said:
February 14
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the N.H.K.) | Novel (5249) - Regular novel.

Well, this is the reason. You should always check the Manga DB - Recent Entry Merges/Removals/Denials thread when something is gone.

As for the stats, whenever you make a change, they update. Unfortunately, they don't reset on their own.

Just to say, they were released in kadokawa bunko as well. And we have a lot of titles in the database which where released only in kadokawa bunko .
While kadokawa bunko isn't a light novel label per se (so the reason for the denial itself isn't wrong), that's kind of unfair to reject only some of them for this reason. That rules really need to be officially changed to reflect the reality of this database, and simply allows a novel to be put as well as long as it received a manga or anime adaptation. Then all the entries from non-light novel label would be legitimate so this would make the current state of the database coherent with the rules. As well as stop the random reject/Acceptance for non-light novel labels.
Feb 21, 2016 4:11 PM

Jun 2014
I'm actually to blame for the removal, I was trying to submit the novel version of Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge and it was denied due to not being a light novel. I used the argument that since Welcome to the NHK is listed on here and was published in a similar fashion, then that it should allow for Chainsaw to be here. Then they replied that it was an exception for NHK to be here so it was to be removed, but for whatever reason it's still here, just the relations to its manga and anime have been removed.

I still think if both the illustrator and author are of significance to both the manga and anime world, then it should be allowed in the DB.
Feb 21, 2016 4:38 PM

Jun 2008
I apologize if this was already answered somewhere but are there any instructions on how to tell the difference between a light novel and a regular novel? Like what keywords I should be looking for, which websites contain this sort of information and so on.
Feb 21, 2016 11:47 PM

Dec 2011
kuchitsu said:
I apologize if this was already answered somewhere but are there any instructions on how to tell the difference between a light novel and a regular novel? Like what keywords I should be looking for, which websites contain this sort of information and so on.

There are various sites that have lists of light novel labels, but most are either incomplete (quite a few miss off all labels aimed at girls for instance, or all adult labels) or don't agree with MAL's list.

As a general rule, if Amazon list it as a light novel then MAL will too.
Ones to be aware of:
Fujimi L Bunko - MAL does not consider this a light novel label.
Media Works Bunko - MAL's existing entries are erratic but I've had submissions from this label denied due to being "not a light novel".
Kadokawa Bunko - MAL sometimes considers this a light novel label? The cause of the discussion above. I'd advise against submitting something released solely under this label. It's worth noting that other sources often can't seem to make up their mind over whether these are light novels or not either.
Shueisha Orange Bunko - calls itself a light literature label. MAL calls it "not a light novel".

If something is published under one of the above (most likely the latter two) AND a light novel label that MAL accepts, then it will (usually) be accepted.

Other labels are either accepted by MAL or I've never come across a volume that meets the rest of the database guidelines.

There are also some light novel labels that are not stocked by Amazon such as KA Esuma Bunko and sometimes amazon decides to not consider something as a light novel when it is.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 22, 2016 1:07 AM

Jun 2008
OK, so basically Amazon is the main source of information but Mal-chan is a capricious girl and there will always be exceptions to look out for. Thanks!
Feb 22, 2016 1:41 AM

Jul 2013
I haven't had the time to reply, so apologies for the somewhat late response.

@Goobatron and @Akarin, what you saw was a submission still in the queue. I denied it on the same day.

@Zefyris, you are presupposing that moderators do not make mistakes – we do; there are instances wherein we do not get something right on the first try, or are lacking. This is why the site allows user edits (upon approval) and has the Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates thread. The 'reality' of the database not being completely consistent is true, but this can be remedied by users helping us by pointing it out.

That rules really need to be officially changed to reflect the reality of this database, and simply allows a novel to be put as well as long as it received a manga or anime adaptation.

With this logic, all novels that Variety Art Works has based their works on will be added to the database. You can argue that we should only add Japanese novels, but we are primarily an anime and manga database; light novels are merely an off-shoot. Even if we revise the Database Guidelines, I do not see it happening in the near future.

@Jerkhov, the entry was removed on February 14, as Maffy pointed out. Upon replying to you, I removed all relations connecting to the novel. This is to prevent getting an 'empty relation' on the related entries once removed by a Database Administrator. Database Moderators do not have the ability to delete entries.

I still think if both the illustrator and author are of significance to both the manga and anime world, then it should be allowed in the DB.

See my reply to Zefyris.

@kuchitsu, I am not an expert on light novels – I rarely read them – but to add to what kuuderes_shadow has said, you may also refer to this. But please take note that some entries will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

P.S. The deleted mention is from me (my bad).
Feb 22, 2016 2:03 AM

Dec 2011
kuchitsu said:
OK, so basically Amazon is the main source of information but Mal-chan is a capricious girl and there will always be exceptions to look out for. Thanks!

Amazon isn't MAL's main source of information. It's just where I draw my lists from, so the source of my more borderline/dubious submissions.
kuuderes_shadowFeb 22, 2016 2:10 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 22, 2016 2:12 AM

Apr 2013
@Ana : of course you're going to make mistake. If tomorrow NHK ni Youkoso or Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge mentioned above are published in a LN label, it will become a LN without a single word changed in it, and without any pic added to it either. Some label are blur about the fact of being LN or not, too.

What you should do is "when in doubt, if there is a manga or anime relation, then accept it". Of course like you said only Japanese work are to be allowed. This is obvious considering what this website is about.
Changing that rule would make it far easier for the moderator to know what to accept and what to reject. And it would make it seems far fairer to the users and far more understandable as well. MAL not being about LN is of no impact here. It already have more than 5000 of them anyway, and yet most users in this websites aren't especially thinking that MAL is about LN. But MAL is also a database. Lots of rules on MAL databases are here BECAUSE it's a database.

Novels with an existing manga or anime aren't numerous to begin with. This will not changed the 5k to 6k magically or anything. As a matter of fact, numerous novels with a manga or anime adaptation are already in the database.

It makes things more comprehensive for the users, make it easier for the moderator, and almost doesn't change the amount of novels entry in the database. What kind of downside is there to it here?
ZefyrisFeb 22, 2016 2:17 AM
Feb 22, 2016 3:56 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
@kuuderes_shadow
@kuchitsu

This is the current status quo on MAL light novels

Anyone who contributes or is planning to should copy this.
Feb 22, 2016 5:10 AM

Dec 2011
@Wizzy123 - useful, thanks.

Wizzy123 said:

List of Acceptable Light Novel Labels & Their Demographics

Romanized Title / Original Title + Official Website / Demographic / Notes

Japanese Light Novel Labels

Kadokawa Ranobe Bunko (講談社ラノベ文庫) - Shounen

Should be Kodansha Ranobe Bunko by the way.

Also the list doesn't seem to include Yaoi/adult light novel labels.

Here's other stuff I have on my list of "accepted novel labels" (based on past experience) that aren't in the above post: (english/romaji names sorry)
Avalon Novels
B's Log Bunko Alice
C Novels Fantasia
Cinderella Novels
Dash X Bunko
Earth Star Novel
Ever Princess
Gabriella Bunko
GC Novels
Honey Bunko
Iris Neo
Jewel Books
Melissa
MF Books
mu novel
NOVELiDOL
Overlap Novels
Vanilla Bunko
Zero Sum Novels
Puchipara Bunko (adult)
Puchipara Bunko Creative (adult)
Bishoujo Bunko (adult)
Bishoujo Bunko Escale (adult)
Nijigen Dream Bunko (adult)
Variant Novels (adult)
Kodansha Bunko X White Heart (sometimes yaoi)
Kadokawa Ruby Bunko (yaoi)

I also had Asahi Aero Bunko on the list which I see on your "not to be added" list, thanks to http://myanimelist.net/manga/87285/Majo_wa_Getsuyoubi_ni_Uso_wo_Tsuku and http://myanimelist.net/manga/90376/Hagoromo_Genshi both having been approved.

Oh, and you may as well reject http://myanimelist.net/manga/96362/Ore_no_Pet_wa_Seijo-sama (TO Books; queue entry) if that label is never accepted.

(edit: realised Overlap Novels wasn't on your list either - Edit 2: ditto MF Books)
kuuderes_shadowFeb 22, 2016 5:57 AM
Feb 22, 2016 5:57 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
@kuuderes_shadow

The list hasn't been updated in a while. You can think of this entire thing like a mod reminder list, though I don't think anyone views it much anymore. By now we know what can and can't be added without the list.

Most of the adult labels along with some of those you listed aren't there because it's not normally submitted. The list is more for labels that would commonly show up in the queue. That, and stuff svaax actually remembered to list.

Edit: Reported those novels for removal.
KuroDubZeroFeb 22, 2016 8:35 AM
Mar 14, 2016 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
Hm, if this is the case, wouldn't it make more sense to change "adaptation" to "alternative version"? I wouldn't call the manga an adaptation of the anime... or vice versa.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

132 by LittleKitty24 »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7688 by kihel »»
Yesterday, 9:04 PM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.