New
Initial reaction?
Feb 5, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2012

Reposted:

Reposted again (thanks destructo)

https://twitter.com/30seclovelive/status/695726296777666561

Thoughts? Comments?

I think Nico still sounds annoying which is great!!
MayukaFeb 17, 2016 9:59 PM
Feb 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Sep 2013
I think Nico's the best performance out of what we've seen. The others don't sound too bad so far.
Feb 5, 2016 4:57 PM

Feb 2013
It sounds cringe worth like most of english dub not surprising, and Im sorry but no one can make better Nico than SoraMaru

AND WHY MAKI SOUNDS LIKE A 30 YEARS OLD WOMAN.

also AYYY

Feb 5, 2016 6:14 PM

Dec 2013
I didn't see anything wrong with it personally. Toradora had an amazing dub and it was NIS America's first one ever so I'm really not surprised. Nico seemed pretty on point to me too. I'm really excited for my preorders to come in now!
Feb 5, 2016 6:45 PM

Jul 2012
LordAura said:
I didn't see anything wrong with it personally.
it's mostly the quotes screen (in badwolf's post) that made me cry
Feb 5, 2016 7:18 PM

Dec 2013
Mayuka said:
LordAura said:
I didn't see anything wrong with it personally.
it's mostly the quotes screen (in badwolf's post) that made me cry
Yeh they are pretty cringe worthy, there's no denying that. I admit I laughed though.
Feb 5, 2016 9:09 PM

Aug 2008
FUCK, they got removed.

edit: found another link. https://twitter.com/30seclovelive/status/695726296777666561

I'm liking what I'm hearing. Real excited for the dub now! Also fuckin love that Maki's voice sounds mature. AWESOMESAUCE
destructo22Feb 5, 2016 9:13 PM
Feb 6, 2016 3:22 AM

Jan 2014
I think I just puked in my mouth.

This has to be the most below average English voice acting I've ever listened to. Let me break it down.
Nico is fucking Gollum; in that her voice and tone from cute to snarky feel like two different people, in comparison to Soramaru who personifies Nico's interchanging attitudes perfectly. Umi's is borderline K-On bad. I think the final judgement comes when we see the "idol practice" scenes, but I highly doubt my opinion will change. Maki's as well. Mature without a sense of adolescence is a running trend among "cute girl" dubs.
Honoka's voice is annoying, but not the good-kind Emitsun annoying. I mean, "Awsomesauce"? Really?
Kotori's is self-destructive. It can literally fail any time it wants to. I'll just pray to God it doesn't do it frequently.
Hanayo's and Rin's voices sound dead. They're reading straight from the script.
Closest, I can say, is Eli and Nozomi and they're barely close. (They sound exactly the same)

Credit where it's due, it's not as ear-numbingly painful as I thought it would be.

(Clips straight from the first episode: http://no-brand-gays.tumblr.com/post/138767743680/sorry-for-the-bad-camrips-its-ridiculously-quiet)

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!? Are these quotes seriously being used as official media!?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2016 11:18 AM

Aug 2008
MagicalMahou said:
I think I just puked in my mouth.

This has to be the most below average English voice acting I've ever listened to. Let me break it down.
Nico is fucking Gollum; in that her voice and tone from cute to snarky feel like two different people, in comparison to Soramaru who personifies Nico's interchanging attitudes perfectly. Umi's is borderline K-On bad. I think the final judgement comes when we see the "idol practice" scenes, but I highly doubt my opinion will change. Maki's as well. Mature without a sense of adolescence is a running trend among "cute girl" dubs.
Honoka's voice is annoying, but not the good-kind Emitsun annoying. I mean, "Awsomesauce"? Really?
Kotori's is self-destructive. It can literally fail any time it wants to. I'll just pray to God it doesn't do it frequently.
Closest, I can say, is Eli and Nozomi and they're barely close. (They sound exactly the same)

Credit where it's due, it's not as ear-numbingly painful as I thought it would be.

(Clips straight from the first episode: http://no-brand-gays.tumblr.com/post/138767743680/sorry-for-the-bad-camrips-its-ridiculously-quiet)

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!? Are these quotes seriously being used as official media!?
Judging by the clips, ALL of the voices sound fine to me. In fact, I'll say that I prefer a couple of the Eng. voices over the original Japanese ones. I'll judge the actual dialogue when it comes out on disc.

Did you get to see the entire episode in English?
Feb 6, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2012

NICO WAS SO ON POINT

i really wanna watch the full episode now but can't find it
Feb 6, 2016 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
I'm actually really happy with what I've heard (By which I mean the random clips I've seen on Tumblr, haven't seen the full ep yet). I'm glad that a lot of the negativity cooled off when people actually saw the episode. I'm thinking that the 'awesome sauce' line might have made people think it was going to be this colloquial/meme filled nightmare but I know that's not Bang Zoom's style. More like a bad Funimation dub.

I mean sure there's a little bit of negativity going around but some people just can't be pleased. Not really worth taking their opinions to heart.

As for more specific thoughts on the dub (Spoilered because I kind of ramble on a bit)

Mayuka said:
NICO WAS SO ON POINT
Oh yeah, and Nico is great too. I'm glad Mendez got a role in the dub since she's apparently a huge fan of the series. Same goes for Umi, Maki and Fumika's VA.

Feel kind of bad for Buckland since she seemed to have her heart set on playing Nozomi long before the dub was even announced only to be cast as Umi. Though I suppose I should feel even worse for Natalie Hoover who just got cast as one of Honoka's classmates.

MagicalMahou said:
Considering they had literally one line each in the first ep (In the clip you shared the shitty audio quality actually drowns out both lines) it's just a little bit difficult to take you seriously.

Well that says absolutely nothing about the dub itself but nice try.
SeibaaHomuFeb 6, 2016 9:00 PM
Feb 7, 2016 12:09 PM

Feb 2013
Feel like I need to share

Feb 7, 2016 5:55 PM

Mar 2012
badwolf45f said:

I'm actually starting to ironically like the phrase 'awesome sauce' by this point. Like, the first time I saw that trailer I was all 'Oh God why did they use that fucking 2007 meme phrase?' but now whenever I hear it my response is more like 'Ha ha! Yeah, awesome sauce'.

Her VA is even re-tweeting awesome sauce pictures.

Feb 8, 2016 4:41 AM

Feb 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
badwolf45f said:

I'm actually starting to ironically like the phrase 'awesome sauce' by this point. Like, the first time I saw that trailer I was all 'Oh God why did they use that fucking 2007 meme phrase?' but now whenever I hear it my response is more like 'Ha ha! Yeah, awesome sauce'.

Her VA is even re-tweeting awesome sauce pictures.

what i love is how emitsun always ends being the meme even for a quote she didn't even say lmao

Feb 8, 2016 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
badwolf45f said:
what i love is how emitsun always ends being the meme even for a quote she didn't even say lmao
Yeah, I suppose anything tied to Honoka will also be tied to Emitsun. I mean, she's about as close to the real life embodiment of Honoka as you can get.

Plus no one really knows who Marieve Herington is (I only knew her beforehand because of Danganronpa) so it's not like you can just slap 'awesome sauce' on a picture of her and get instant laughs.
Feb 8, 2016 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
That sounds weird. "Nico nico ni" doesn't even mean anything in English (Niko Niko means "smile" in Japanese). I hope they don't dub the movie.
Feb 8, 2016 4:06 PM

Mar 2014
"I found my new waifu"
"It's so kawaii"
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 9, 2016 8:08 PM

Mar 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
That sounds weird. "Nico nico ni" doesn't even mean anything in English (Niko Niko means "smile" in Japanese).
If anyone needed definitive proof that you can't please everyone and that people are going to complain no matter what you do, it's right here.

Though I'm certain way more people would have complained if they changed it to Nico Smile. With good reason too because Nico Nico Smile sounds awkward as fuck. In this case, being faithful was a very good move.

I hope they don't dub the movie.
Jesus Christ, how petty can you get? Seriously, don't say stuff like that.
SeibaaHomuFeb 9, 2016 8:27 PM
Feb 9, 2016 8:30 PM

Oct 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
zombie_pegasus said:
That sounds weird. "Nico nico ni" doesn't even mean anything in English (Niko Niko means "smile" in Japanese).
If anyone needed definitive proof that you can't please everyone and that people are going to complain no matter what you do, it's right here.

Though I'm certain way more people would have complained if they changed it to Nico Smile

I hope they don't dub the movie.
Jesus Christ, how petty can you get? Seriously, don't say stuff like that.
I just feel a bit weird about it getting a dub.

This just looks silly. If you have Japanese characters in an English speaking country then dubbing their voices into English just sounds silly.
Feb 10, 2016 2:56 AM

Mar 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
This just looks silly. If you have Japanese characters in an English speaking country then dubbing their voices into English just sounds silly.
The entire New York sequence is just a bit over 30 minutes of the 100 minute movie. In that entire sequence, I only recall one very brief scene (Less than a minute in length) which referenced the cultural barriers in such a way that would make a direct translation nonsensical. And even then all it would require to translate that scene over is some slight changes to the dialogue and the tone.

And you're saying the ENTIRE MOVIE shouldn't be dubbed because of that? Just because you think it would sound weird? Come on already.

Also don't even pretend that you actually wanted them to change it to Nico Nico Smile. I can pretty much guarantee that you'd be complaining if they did.
Feb 10, 2016 5:54 AM

Jul 2012
http://tsunderica.tumblr.com/post/138975874204/love-live-dub-µsings

^ Nico's English actress posts a speech on tumblr about the dub!
The speech moved me quite a bit and I actually decided to watch it now because of her.
Feb 10, 2016 7:51 AM

Jan 2014
Well, I can't really care much about dubs of musical anime. I guess it's great that they exist to draw some more people in. I did see some of K-On! dubbed though, and I really don't see where the hate comes from, Sheh and Vee are real good.

However, I agree @SeibaaHomu that Mendez as Nico and Herington as Honoka sounded right on point from the clips, and Mendez said their performances got better as they went along in that Tumblr post. Watching some good Nico and Honoka episodes dubbed sounds fun now.

Vee as Kotori, tho: ehhh?? @badwolf45f Naw, Maki sounded like a sulky teenager in the few lines I saw.

But one thing is clear from the whole "awesome sauce" thing: we'll get a whole new set of Love Live memes now, even if they tried to avoid it. Looking forward to that.
Feb 10, 2016 8:00 AM

Feb 2013
Mayuka said:

The speech moved me quite a bit and I actually decided to watch it now because of her.

Ah, now i feel bad >-< she sounds nice, im still not found about the dub, might also be because im not an english speaker so English dub always sound weird too me (although I would have said same thing if it was Spanish) but I can see they try their best so, well, hope it goes well. :c

Feb 10, 2016 9:53 AM

Mar 2014
They should replace all those generic idol songs with ABBA covers and change "Nico nico ni" to "Gimme gimme gimme"

I wanna hear the yankee girls sing "Ring Ring" , "Honey Honey" and "Waterloo" in broken Swedish

That's just my opinion though
Mayuka said:

At least she seems like a nice person so good luck to her I guess
Comic_SansFeb 10, 2016 10:00 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 10, 2016 8:18 PM

Dec 2014
The dub sounds pretty good to me. It fits all of their personality and all.
Feb 10, 2016 11:02 PM

Mar 2012
Mayuka said:

I was planning on watching the dub either way because:

a) It's another excuse to re-watch Love Live

b) This is, as far as I know, the first show of its kind to get a dub so it's kind of a big deal; and

c) A lot of my favourite voice actresses in the LA area (And Patrick Seitz, who was adamant about playing Nico if they ever made a dub) were fans of the series already and I figured there was a pretty good chance that they'd pop up in the dub in some capacity.

But after reading Mendez's post and seeing all the people involved talking about their love for the series over social media I'm even more eager.

It just makes me so happy to see one of my favourite shows from the past few years get an English dub handled by people who are just as much fans of the show as I am (If Caitlin Glass' Maki collection is anything to go by, perhaps even more so). And it's not as if they just found random fangirls at a convention and asked them to read some lines. They've got a lot of really talented people involved.

MihoWittmann said:
I did see some of K-On! dubbed though, and I really don't see where the hate comes from, Sheh and Vee are real good.
Honestly, I can't think of anyone else better suited to play Mio in English than Cristina Vee.

And while I do prefer the Japanese overall, I actually feel like the dub VAs were a bit quicker to get settled into their roles. Every time I watch one of the early episodes of K-On! in Japanese I kind of get the feeling that Toyosaki hadn't quite found that 'Yui' voice yet.

Vee as Kotori, tho: ehhh??
Don't count her out just yet. She's got a pretty damn good range. In retrospect I'm actually glad they decided to take advantage of it instead of just going the safe route by casting her as Umi and telling her 'You know Mio? Do that voice'.

On a side note, here's the full cast and crew taken from the Season 2 Premium Edition booklet with a few names that hadn't been revealed yet.

Cassandra Lee Morris is a good pick for Tsubasa. Plus it's interesting that they decided to cast three different people as Nico's siblings rather than just getting Mendez to copy the Japanese and play all the of them on her own.

Though as cute that episode was, I suppose Soramaru's little boy voice wasn't all that convincing.
SeibaaHomuFeb 10, 2016 11:11 PM
Feb 10, 2016 11:12 PM

Mar 2014
Anyone have a working link?
Feb 10, 2016 11:53 PM

Mar 2014
ziggy_Z said:
http://loveliive.tumblr.com/post/138710763257/someone-kindly-recorded-the-mnet-ad-for-the-love

Click on "Alternative link"
Nico- said:
Feb 11, 2016 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
ziggy_Z said:
There's a few links for that awful 30 second MNet trailer floating around.

As for the actual episodes? No. But it comes out in a few days so I'd be very surprised if the entire thing wasn't uploaded online by this time next week.
Feb 15, 2016 5:21 PM
May 2015
Thank god I decided not to watch Love Live last month. I'm glad NIS America dubbed the series and not Sentai Filmworks. NIS America's dub aren't on par with FUNimation (they currently have the best English Dubs in the industry) but it's good enough and not ear piercing like Sentai's dub.

I'll be watching this series soon. Sorry NIS, I'm not going to buy the Blu-Ray version. I don't want moe animes in my anime blu-ray collections.

Feb 15, 2016 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
Full episode is out online!
Feb 17, 2016 12:49 AM

Dec 2013
Hutch_1945 said:
Thank god I decided not to watch Love Live last month. I'm glad NIS America dubbed the series and not Sentai Filmworks. NIS America's dub aren't on par with FUNimation (they currently have the best English Dubs in the industry) but it's good enough and not ear piercing like Sentai's dub.

I'll be watching this series soon. Sorry NIS, I'm not going to buy the Blu-Ray version. I don't want moe animes in my anime blu-ray collections.
Even as someone who owns and loves a lot of Funimation's dubs, I personally think NIS gives them a run for their money quality wise. I mean they've only dubbed 3 shows so far and I thought Toradora had one of the best dubs I had heard in years. Love Live is no different(I'm currently 9 episodes in on the dub). I feel like Funimation kind of "phones in" a lot of their dubs these days.
Feb 17, 2016 2:26 PM

Aug 2008
Watched a little bit of episode 1 and 9 in English. The voice actors are pretty decent. I did not expect to love Nico's English VA this much. She really nailed the character. The way they pronounce Kotori and Nozomi is something I'll have to get used to, though.
Feb 17, 2016 8:39 PM

Mar 2012
I'm 9 episodes into Season 2 at the moment. Will watch the rest later tonight. As for what I think... I love it!

It definitely had its fair share of rough spots in Season 1 (Nozomi's voice took some getting used to) but Season 2 is actually a pretty marked improvement. That's not to say it wasn't solid from the beginning, but now that all the kinks have been ironed out the strong points are even stronger and even the characters I wasn't quite sold on to begin with have won me over. Actually, that's a pretty good description for Love Live as a whole.

I don't know whether it's just the voice actors getting more settled into their roles like what Mendez talked about in her blog post, me getting more used to the voices, the fact that the material they're given in Season 2 gives the actors a chance to better flesh out their characters or maybe even all of the above. But I'm actually legitimately surprised by how good this dub is at this point.

I didn't even know who Faye Mata was before this dub but she really knocked it out of the park as Rin in her Season 2 episode. Same goes for Nozomi and Nico in their episodes (Although I'm a lot more familiar with Erica Mendez and Laura Post than Mata).

I don't want to make direct comparisons between the dub and the Japanese, but as for how well the dub stands on its own? Really well. To be totally honest I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. All I wanted was a neat little excuse to re-watch the show but I ended up getting so much more. Definitely going to buy the dual audio sets when they make their way over the Australia.

Hutch_1945 said:
I'm definitely glad that Sentai didn't get the show. In general their dubs aren't quite up to par with what everyone else can put out, but they manage even worse with cutesy shows. Hanayamata's dub is what I'd consider 'above average' for Sentai but it was still mediocre at best.

I wouldn't consider Funimation to be the best of the best though. They've made some of my favourite dubs ever, they broke the Ikuhara dub curse last year and it's really impressive that they can maintain a mostly consistent quality standard even with the broadcast dub format. Also, I love broadcast dubs! But they've also made some real clunkers and overall I would still say that my favourite dubs tend to be the ones produced in LA.

Would I trust Funi to do a good job with a Love Live dub? Probably. Show by Rock was a pretty mediocre show but it proved that Funi can dub cutesy shows. That being said, I personally think Bang Zoom being on board for the Love Live dub was a best case scenario.
Feb 18, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2012
Update: Movie's dub comes out on June 28th

http://store.nisamerica.com/love-live-school-idol-movie-premium-edition

I suppose that since this dub was way overdue (I mean, the first season of Love Live was like 3 years ago) they want to make up for lost time. Pretty impressive that they managed to put it out so quickly. By the time it comes out it wouldn't have even been a year since I went up to Sydney to see the movie at the cinema (With one of the single most obnoxious crowds I've ever dealt with)

I only finished watching the dub for Season 2 last night as a matter of fact.

Speaking of which, my thoughts are pretty much the same. Though I have to add that I was surprised by how little my bias towards the Japanese track affected my enjoyment. I mean, the English cast is fantastic in their own right.

Maybe it did a little around the beginning but over time I did end up taking a liking to the English cast. Especially in Season 2 where they basically knocked every big, emotional scene right out of the park.

I really can't wait to see the dub for the movie.
Mar 8, 2016 4:01 PM

Feb 2016
I actually started watching Love Live! in subs not too long before the dub came out. So I decided to watch a subbed episode, and then watch the same episode in the dub after.

The dub is not bad. Casting choices here were pretty good, even though there are some casting choices I personally would have done differently. Xanthe Huynh and Caitlin Glass sound great as Hanayo and Maki, respectively. Glad to see Xanthe getting more roles, since she's one of my favorite anime VA's and I find her to be underrated. Like a lot of people anticipating the dub cast, I thought Umi would be voiced by Cristina Vee for sure. But seeing Cristina Vee doing the high-pitched Kotori was a bit of a shocker, a rather pleasant one at that. I couldn't hear Mio or Homura at all in Cristina's Kotori voice, so I'm glad Cristina got to voice Kotori to showcase her amazing range. Besides, it probably would get boring to hear every mature, tall dark-haired girl in anime being voiced by the same person. Kira Buckland as Umi was quite an interesting choice for me, since I know her as Lola Rembrite from Huniepop. Even though Kira wouldn't have been my first choice as Umi, I thought she was great as well. Laura Post and Erica Lindbeck playing Nozomi and Eli were alright. Since I haven't seen many of their previous works, I don't have much of an opinion, positive or negative on them. I thought Erica Mendez, who did Fu in Yuna Yuki is a Hero, may have been a bit too low-pitched to play Nico, but she did do a great job. And I her "Nico Nico Nii" was not too bad, imo. Had no idea who Faye Mata was, she didn't even seem to have her own Wikipedia page. Having Rin being played by someone who seems to be more of a newcomer to anime voice acting was quite refreshing. She was pretty good, so I'm not complaining.

Honoka being played by Marieve Herrington was rather shocking. I thought she would probably be played by Cassandra Lee Morris or anyone of Bang Zoom's more veteran/famous actresses. When I searched up Marieve Herrington, I found out that she only has done some anime voice acting recently. Before, she was mostly in live-action television like How I Met Your Mother and Good Luck Charlie, as well as animation such as Ice Age. Interesting to see someone in mainstream television turn to dubbed anime voice acting, as I rarely see non-anime actors in animes.

Interesting how they decided to make Rin bad at grammar instead of English in the dub. Considering how dubbed anime characters have been bad at English because it's "not needed in Japan", like in K-On! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpZvO0j6RI I thought that this change may have been unnecessary. Not saying that the change is bad, but just something I wanted to point out.

Anyways, I still need to finish the series. Currently almost done with the first season. These were just my impressions so far, which are pretty good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

262 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Apr 22, 11:52 AM

» What's the watch order?

Kayroad - Dec 10, 2023

10 by October_Animate »»
Mar 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2013

120 by Needster »»
Feb 15, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2013

141 by firstamizade »»
Feb 3, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Mar 17, 2013

128 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 7, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.