Forum Settings
Forums

Do you look past flaws in a series because of it's age?

New
Feb 2, 2016 12:36 PM
Apr 2015
For example if you're watching a old show and there's a bad aspect in a show, do give it a pass because of the period it was made in?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 2, 2016 12:37 PM

Jun 2015
It depends in what is a flaw for you in the first place.
Feb 2, 2016 12:40 PM

Oct 2014
No. Most of the older anime I've watched I've given low scores to, especially the ones from before 1980. I don't believe in "A for effort" when judging entertainment.
Feb 2, 2016 12:42 PM

Dec 2015
Mostly for animation, sometimes I also take into account the tendencies of its period to determine how much it improved or innovated some stuff.
Feb 2, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2014
It depends on what the flaw is. Not all flaws are bad, some flaws can make things better in the end.

Jul 2015
No .

I look past flaws in a series because it's awesome .

Awesomeness triumphs over all .

What trope was it called again ,the Rule Of Cool ?
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Apr 2014
No, a flaw is a flaw regardless of age.
Feb 2, 2016 12:44 PM
Nov 2015
If the supposed flaw wasn't a flaw back when the anime was made yes. Modern anime talk about the earth not being flat so when even the last people will learn in the future that the earth is indeed flat, I won't consider it a flaw in the anime.
Feb 2, 2016 12:47 PM

Jun 2015
Depends what you mean.
If you mean flaws in quality, sure.
If you mean flaws in writing, definitely not. Though sometimes older shows with iffy writing can be fun just for the campy feel.

Feb 2, 2016 12:48 PM

Dec 2015
I pretty much dont watch anything that has been made before 2008, but thats becuz simply I've been completely spoiled by fancy animation both from anime and just detailed af cartoons. As for flaws, I usually overlook em but if there r too many, I cannot ignore that -.-
Feb 2, 2016 12:53 PM
Mar 2014
Not really, i don't see why i should do that.
Feb 2, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
No. It's unfortunate, but if the impact it had on the industry, revolutionary for its time, and all that other jazz does nothing for me, then I rate accordingly.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 2, 2016 4:32 PM

Jan 2014
Only a little. After all, old anime is not from thousands of years ago, so one can always find older examples of better writing or artistry, if not in animation (perhaps from other countries) then in other media. And the best of the best in any medium is timeless, meaning it'll impress just as much a long time in the future.

However, when judging animation/art, I do consider what tools people had at the time and how they made the most of them, rather than blindly comparing old animation to the present day.

And I recognize that what is cliché now might have not been in the past.
Feb 2, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2012
Aside from animation, no. Storytelling is storytelling.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 2, 2016 4:57 PM

Dec 2015
Well it depends on what that "aspect" happens to be.
There are old series that are just as bad as some new series. Terrible writing is terrible writing no matter what year it came out.

My only thing is I am surprised when people say they don't like the old anime art. Not that it's bad if it isn't their thing, but I'm surprised someone could see the art of old anime as a flaw.
KonaKoffeeFeb 2, 2016 5:10 PM
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 2, 2016 5:07 PM

Mar 2015
The only thing that gets a pass is animation.

In 10 years the animation now will be considered shit too, so if the other parts can make it up then I just take one point off for animation, unless its exceptionally bad.
LancimusPrimeFeb 2, 2016 5:12 PM
Feb 2, 2016 5:21 PM

Dec 2014
Yes, I do. After 30 years of enjoying this hobby I've learned that anime is absolutely a product of its time and should be judged as such. Anyone who finds a company at fault for having produced something in the 70's that doesn't look as sharp and nice as modern anime is either a child or an idiot. Different decades have their own unique style, cultural norms and technology used to create animated programs and watching older shows gives us the unique ability to look backwards through time at how this art form we all love has evolved throughout the years.
Feb 2, 2016 5:55 PM

Mar 2015
AnnaSartin said:
Yes, I do. After 30 years of enjoying this hobby I've learned that anime is absolutely a product of its time and should be judged as such. Anyone who finds a company at fault for having produced something in the 70's that doesn't look as sharp and nice as modern anime is either a child or an idiot. Different decades have their own unique style, cultural norms and technology used to create animated programs and watching older shows gives us the unique ability to look backwards through time at how this art form we all love has evolved throughout the years.

Not to be rude to the people here, but to be fair a lot of the community here is underage (me including) so they haven't had a lot of time to be exposed to anime and that's probably one of the major reasons we have people who don't think as much about older shows.
Feb 2, 2016 5:58 PM

Jan 2011
Sometimes the art is a bit dated and the animation feels stiff and I'll give that a pass.
If it's bad storytelling or bad characters it doesn't get a pass from me.
Feb 2, 2016 6:00 PM
Oct 2015
AnnaSartin said:

While I think animation is something you can say is objectively better in certain time period... On everything else, I judge them equally.

And you know what? My list of favorite anime is pretty balanced up on the higher levels. So even though I judge anime from the 80s-2000s by the same standards, it doesn't seem like old school anime are doing too bad in my books.
Feb 2, 2016 6:04 PM

Jul 2012
No, a flaw is still a flaw.

I guess the only thing I can excuse is animation, like if it was a basketball match and the animation was full of still shots. I wouldn't mind.
Feb 2, 2016 6:04 PM

Jan 2016
I would give it some slack if it's animation. Story and character wise either it is good or it is not, age have nothing to do with it.
Feb 2, 2016 6:12 PM

Mar 2015
at least you must realize that this series is old so you must know what probably happened back than. if you find love hina cliche, you must realize it is old and this series is the one that make it cliche now. it's not cliche back than (so it actually original) just that. it also goes to many series that originaly old, but got adapted recently.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 2, 2016 6:22 PM

Aug 2014
I agree with what most people have said and that the only real flaw I would not care about from an old anime would be the animation/art style, maybe sound as well but its really rare that I find any major flaws with the use of sounds in anime. But everything else shouldn't really be affected by how much time has passed, unless its making references to what was happening at the time of its making. Story, characters, setting etc, should be timeless when done right.
Feb 2, 2016 6:47 PM
Jan 2016
To be honest, all of the old shows that I have watched up until now never have "bad aspects because they're made a long time ago," even the visuals. Because for me, I judge the visuals as being different, not bad. Maybe you could give me some examples of bad aspects in old anime just because it's old?

codephat said:
Depends what you mean.
If you mean flaws in quality, sure.
If you mean flaws in writing, definitely not. Though sometimes older shows with iffy writing can be fun just for the campy feel.

What do you mean by "flaws in quality?" And what's the difference with flaws in writing?
Feb 2, 2016 6:56 PM

Aug 2013
I had always thought of Eureka Seven (the original, not AO) as a boring mecha series with annoying protagonist, then i looked it back sometimes ago and was impressed by its mecha animations, which are entirely hand drawn and looked fluid. Whereas mecha nowadays use mostly CG and look very unnaturally robotic.
Feb 2, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2016
Depends. Sailor Moon I probably would just because that's my childhood lol.

わたしのなまえはローラです。よろしくおねがいします!
My art: http://munkyz57.deviantart.com
Feb 2, 2016 7:09 PM

Nov 2015
I'd probably cut the art and animation some slack (even though it's a bit hard to judge whether it meets the mark set by other shows of its time) but for stuff like plot and writing, no.
Technology has changed quite a bit, but the same can't be said for the human brain..
Feb 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Aug 2015
No. But I'm graceful regarding the animation and art. But regarding the story, no. Creating stories didn't start when anime started.
蒼穹を舞う。
Feb 2, 2016 7:20 PM

May 2014
Sound effects, animation fluidity, quirky art styles that are "ugly" by today's standards - yes, they get a pass.

The writing - no, definitely judging that. I live to judge bad writing, past and present.
Feb 2, 2016 7:27 PM

Jun 2015
a beautiful anime will always stay a beautiful one
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2016 7:38 PM

Sep 2015
No, true classics should be able to stand the test of time.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Feb 2, 2016 7:40 PM

Oct 2011
Nothing is exempted from criticism due to inherent flaws. I evaluate a show honestly regardless if it's a classic or not.
Feb 2, 2016 7:42 PM
Jul 2015
A good example is GTO. Since it's an old anime, the animation quality is bad but besides the animation, the anime itself is pretty damn good.
Feb 2, 2016 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
lolwut

"It's old, so it's okay for it to have flaws"

LMAO
Feb 2, 2016 8:04 PM

Sep 2014
But a flaw is a flaw in any era...

Irts not like mordern anime is less flawed than the oldies;;;

just to be clear, evolution in animation and techinology there is nothing to do with it.
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 2, 2016 8:08 PM

Mar 2015
The only flaw that would be apparent is the art/animation. But what comes before that in reviewing is characters > story > ost and then art/animation. Its really not that big of a deal enough to lower it more than 2 points.
Feb 2, 2016 8:13 PM

Mar 2015
at least you must realize that this series is old so you must know what probably happened back than and apply it to how you watch it now.

if you find love hina cliche, you must realize it is old and this series is the one that make it cliche now. it's not cliche back than (so it actually original). just that.

it also goes to many series that originaly old, but got adapted recently. it's funny when people said kiseijuu is tokyo ghoul clone, when kiseijuu series is actually older than tokyo ghoul. also people asking "why uniform in ushio to tora is soo different?", of course it is because it has old setings and using the trend when it made.

also you must tolarate art style/animation that changed over the years.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 2, 2016 8:20 PM
Jul 2012
Age? That doesn't matter when 99% of older anime are not only much better than their modern equivalent but also have better animation. If anything I look past stupid modern anime's flaws to make them watchable, it's like they forgot how to make an engaging story/characters after 2010 or so
Feb 2, 2016 8:58 PM

Jul 2015
i'm not really anal about flaws in modern or classics so long as they're subjectively entertaining
Feb 2, 2016 9:51 PM

Jan 2015
You're just trying to say Legend of the Galactic Heroes is somehow bad, you casual tier pleb.
Feb 2, 2016 10:48 PM

Mar 2012
There's a whole lot of great shows from the past that still hold up today just fine. If you ask me, traditional magical girl anime doesn't get any better than Cardcaptor Sakura. Plus while there's more than a few 'Cowboy Bebop-esque' shows I still think Bebop is by far the best of all of them. Even when it comes to the ones that Watanabe himself was involved in.

So when a show doesn't hold up so well over a time then I do see that as a problem. I can forgive minor issues like animation problems and a few little cliches here and there that have since become tiresome but I put my foot down when the problems get a bit more serious.

I can't deny Evangelion's impact on the industry, but there have been a ton of shows since that have tackled the same topics much more effectively.
SeibaaHomuFeb 2, 2016 10:53 PM
Feb 2, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2014
No, if something makes me like a series less than that's it, I'm not going to "forgive" it because it's old. Not even things like art style and animation, a show can be beautiful without high budget animation.
Feb 2, 2016 11:51 PM

Apr 2013
No, I rate entirely on how much I enjoyed the show. Being old is no excuse for shitty characters and a bad story.
Feb 3, 2016 12:21 AM

Jul 2013
No. I never look past flaws, even if I liked it. If they're very minor depending on the situation (mostly with animation), I'd excuse it.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Feb 3, 2016 12:25 AM

Jan 2016
When its comes to animation, I take into consideration the age it was made.

Otherwise.... Stories/Plot don't age.
Feb 3, 2016 1:23 AM

May 2015
No.

Plenty of old things stand in the test of time. I can't watch it 'like in the old days' because I'm not in the old days. Besides, if it's not good today then it simply became irrelevant. Often, things are improved upon or copied so much that the original lost worth.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 3, 2016 4:36 AM

Mar 2015
Toasty_One said:
You're just trying to say Legend of the Galactic Heroes is somehow bad, you casual tier pleb.
old = logh? WTF?
CapitalistGod said:
When its comes to animation, I take into consideration the age it was made.

Otherwise.... Stories/Plot don't age.
stories and plot does age. urutsai yatsura and ranma 1/2 is one make tsundere famous. now what happened to tsunderes trope now.
Feb 3, 2016 4:42 AM

Dec 2015
Not much, cause it was old and flaws are always made
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2016 4:45 AM

Dec 2014
NateMKII said:

Not to be rude to the people here, but to be fair a lot of the community here is underage (me including) so they haven't had a lot of time to be exposed to anime and that's probably one of the major reasons we have people who don't think as much about older shows.

Naturally children are excused from being expected to have the experience of older fans. But when you've got adults in their twenties and thirties bitching about "low-quality" animation from the 80s it just makes them look silly.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 4 hours ago

35 by Kruszer »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - 2 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - Yesterday

31 by BerriesSan »»
5 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 6 hours ago

36 by Rinrinka »»
6 minutes ago

» Does it bother you to think how much time we burn waiting for new anime?

Zimmu - 1 hour ago

14 by Zimmu »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.