Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Jan 6] Forum: Minimum Character Counts & Quick Edit

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 26, 2015 4:03 AM

Jul 2012
"Yes, I make both, for people online and IRL."
But you see, I can just write "Both" and it means the same as that. Why force people to write unnecessary sentences?

And I don't care if he does or why he's asking me so there's no point in questioning him just to beat the 30 chara limit.

Caelidesu said:
Conversations that drag on pointlessly and meander onto random topics aren't magically better than ones where dialogue is lucid and conclusions are quickly reached.
^^^^^^^
MayukaDec 26, 2015 4:07 AM
Dec 26, 2015 4:06 AM

Jul 2008
A tenfold of the supposed review character minimum would've been a lot better.

Dec 26, 2015 4:07 AM

Feb 2015
galimx said:
Mayuka said:
Exactly.

Someone asked me a question like "was it this or that?" on a CD thread. My answer was "both". How can you fill that to 30 characters? :/

Well, you explain why you think both and compare them and add some other info or arguments. Maybe you ask a question back or set some arguments so the discussion can continue or re-evaluate. I mean, this is how good forums work. But this probably wont work on MAL, because the users are mostly teens and honestly this is an anime forum, people wont even try, I guess.
Conversations that drag on pointlessly and meander onto random topics aren't magically better than ones where dialogue is lucid and conclusions are quickly reached.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 26, 2015 4:08 AM

Dec 2012
This update is probably in my best interests as I won't be tempted to post degenerative one liners and only seek the forum for tangible discussion (which is nigh extinct) now.

And that literally took 20 seconds to type, people who seriously think 30 characters is a tribulation are blowing this way out of proportion. Although seeing users who have 10k+ posts complaining about the issue speaks for itself.
Dec 26, 2015 4:14 AM

Jul 2012
No, wait so basically the context was:

A thread about sending Christmas greetings to people on MAL.

I answered that I did so this year and it was really fun.

OP asks if I did it on MAL or IRL too?

I answer with "Both" and had to extend it to 30 charas.

Ratohnhaketon said:
And that literally took 20 seconds to type.
20 seconds is a lot. I'd rather spend like 5 seconds instead and check on something else.
Dec 26, 2015 4:15 AM

Oct 2012
I can understand wanting a character limit to promote better language style.
But adding a character limit to promote discussion doesn't make any sense.

From a style point of view these are all different but when it comes to promoting discussion they are equivalent

Both

I do both <repeat option one> and <repeat option two>.

Both adljkfweiohsiof

edit: Actually the 3rd option is the most discussion promoting since it promotes (off topic) discussion about the character limit.
LaniakaDec 26, 2015 4:20 AM
Dec 26, 2015 4:32 AM

Oct 2012
galimx said:
If someone irl asks you something then you answer yes/no and after that you are quiet and wait for next question
Sometimes I do that yes.
Dec 26, 2015 4:35 AM

Jul 2012
If someone irl asks you something then you answer yes/no and after that you are quiet and wait for next question or you ask/say something back and try to form a discussion?
Fair point, but IRL you're TRYING to make a conversation last just to pass time. On a thread, you're discussing a specific topic to get to an answer. MAL mods discourage chit chat and "chat threads".
Dec 26, 2015 4:44 AM
Mar 2014
Mayuka said:
If someone irl asks you something then you answer yes/no and after that you are quiet and wait for next question or you ask/say something back and try to form a discussion?
Fair point, but IRL you're TRYING to make a conversation last just to pass time. On a thread, you're discussing a specific topic to get to an answer. MAL mods discourage chit chat and "chat threads".

Hence MAL implemented minimum character count.
Dec 26, 2015 4:51 AM

Oct 2012
I think the character limit will be useful for discouraging spam posts like: '+1'

But I can't see where people get the idea that it will magically promote discussion.
People that want to say a single thing will still do just that.
They'll just add spam like 'asdfasdf' or rephrase it to make it wordier.
LaniakaDec 26, 2015 4:52 AM
Dec 26, 2015 4:52 AM

Jul 2012
Lust said:
Mayuka said:

No, you're missing the point. It just encourages "discussion" as in derailing and chit chat rather than legit discussion.
Dec 26, 2015 4:55 AM
Mar 2014
Mayuka said:
Lust said:

No, you're missing the point. It just encourages "discussion" as in derailing and chit chat rather than legit discussion.

I believe it's one of the reasons MAL implemented it, the result speaks for itself tho.
Dec 26, 2015 5:06 AM

Oct 2012
Kineta said:
People have noted that there are anime and manga titles which are shorter than 15 characters. However, the Recommendations board is not a simple listing board; please take a few seconds to write why you are recommending the user that anime/manga or how it fits with their request. This board is currently a mess of duplicate threads and posts filled with only series titles and no actual discussion, and we'd really like to work towards improving this board in the future.
People who make threads in the recommendations board do not do so because they want to have a discussion. They want recommendations. And people who post in the recommendations board do so because they want to share their favourite anime and/or because they want to help people.
I'm not saying you can't have discussions in the recommendations board but it's an extra and it's not part of the essence of asking and providing recommendations.

Fighting +1 posts and duplicate threads and things like that are fine but I think that enforcing discussion would do far more harm than good.
Dec 26, 2015 5:54 AM

May 2008
Okay. I have a lot of complaints about this. I've gone through the thread and quoted mod posts I disagree with. None of these are meant to be attacks on specific mods, they're more problems I have with the overall staff approach.

--

Dec 26, 2015 6:32 AM

Oct 2012
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Considering several people on this site enjoy "simpler" discussions/threads, why not just create another sub-section for more "general" type of threads, such as "listing" topics, or threads that only require shorter answers than those that ask for a more "in-depth" opinion on something?

I personally do like to see more "serious" discussion threads myself, which is why I was initially in favour of this new rule, but not everyone wants to get into serious discussions/debates every single time they browse the MAL forums (neither do I).

Seems like a better idea to me than just forcing everyone to comply with the character limit when they're just going to add in random characters in order to meet the limit for times when they don't need to add much more than a few words to their post in order to get their point across, or there's simply no real reason/need to drag out something that could just as easily be "explained" concisely with less than 30 characters.

And as others have already mentioned, there isn't really any say in it for us. The mods just implemented this limitation out of the blue without even informing the community it would be implemented beforehand.
The disconnect between the mods and the rest of MAL's community needs to stop.
Agreed with all of the above. Why is there absolutely no consensus between the staff and the rest of the community?
Will you at least beta test your decisions before releasing it as a whole to the entire community?

I think a 10-5-1 character limit works better than 30-15-1.
Dec 26, 2015 6:46 AM

Oct 2012
Martin said:
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Considering several people on this site enjoy "simpler" discussions/threads, why not just create another sub-section for more "general" type of threads, such as "listing" topics, or threads that only require shorter answers than those that ask for a more "in-depth" opinion on something?

I personally do like to see more "serious" discussion threads myself, which is why I was initially in favour of this new rule, but not everyone wants to get into serious discussions/debates every single time they browse the MAL forums (neither do I).

Seems like a better idea to me than just forcing everyone to comply with the character limit when they're just going to add in random characters in order to meet the limit for times when they don't need to add much more than a few words to their post in order to get their point across, or there's simply no real reason/need to drag out something that could just as easily be "explained" concisely with less than 30 characters.

And as others have already mentioned, there isn't really any say in it for us. The mods just implemented this limitation out of the blue without even informing the community it would be implemented beforehand.
Agreed with all of the above. Why is there absolutely no consensus between the staff and the rest of the community?
Will you at least beta test your decisions before releasing it as a whole to the entire community?

I think a 10-5-1 character limit works better than 30-15-1.
There is no need for consensus, MAL is not a democracy. They can do whatever they want. Of course it is in their best interest to listen to the community to some extend. But when it comes down to it we really don't have a say in anything.

I'm pretty sure the majority of users will be annoyed by this change.

I personally prefer seeing '+1' from time to time (which is already against the rules anyway) to having to make my posts unnecessarily wordy when a simple word suffices.

Most of the time I'd naturally pass the limit but for the few times I don't this is really annoying.

edit: Don't get me wrong I dislike '+1' posts and would love to see them gone. I'm just saying that the problems this measure creates are worse than the problems it solves. For most of the users at least.

edit2: Users get annoyed by all sorts of change and with things like profile layouts they will mostly get used to it. But here they will get reminded of their annoyance every time they want to type a short post.
LaniakaDec 26, 2015 7:06 AM
Dec 26, 2015 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
You dun goofed up, should of brought it to the community first to decide on it.
CabronDec 26, 2015 7:04 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 26, 2015 7:08 AM

May 2013
galimx said:
mafia_princess said:
How about when I want to quote someone and ask them a question? It's supposed to be 30 characters?

Well, yeah. 30 characters isnt that much anyway. I mean if you cant get together a 30 character question with counting blank spaces, then I dunno. An elementary school kid could do that. Its like 5 or 6 words. People are just used to much to shitposting and writing only yes/no on this forum. And when you need to write like 5 or 6 words, then EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS. Jesus.

Its like this simple:
FlameWingman21 said:
Minimum character count is designed to curb one-word replies and reaction img/vid only posts, among other things. It will be quite useful in that regard. The news board in particular is plagued with these.

Meeting this requirement is not difficult and should come naturally for anyone who can think beyond what they had for breakfast.

I didn't say that. It's NTAD.
Dec 26, 2015 7:33 AM

Feb 2015
galimx said:
Caelidesu said:

How is this a pointless conversation if the topic title is about postcards for online or IRL friends, for example ? Its not a random topic, its the point of the topic.
The problem here inherently lies with the question and not the answer. Simple listing or answer like yes/no. Moderators mostly lock topics like that, where people only list things, its the rule of MAL. If someone makes a topic with the question "Do you make post cards for online or IRL friends?" then people will just write yes, no, both, online, irl... This kind of things dont really support discussion and it seems that people on MAL dont have it in their nature to make something out of this question, anyway.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Some discussions aren't worth having.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 26, 2015 7:56 AM

Jul 2014
Remember when the mods enforced Rule #6?

So do I
:^)
Dec 26, 2015 8:10 AM

Jan 2012
AllenVonStein said:
What u mean by 30 characters ?

Nice quick Edit option.

Now i know what 30 characters supposed to mean sorry but this is dumbest update i have ever seen.

Dec 26, 2015 8:42 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Paulo27 said:
Kineta said:
Which browser are you using? Mobile or computer? I have no problems with all of my posts (neither do other users), but I can see there are issues with your posts. If you can tell me how you're posting, this would help.
The problem is on the desktop version of the site on mobile, not my mobile or his mobile, all of them from what I have tested.
Using mobile for me never broke quotation marks or whatever but when using quick edit it does.
From testing with a few other people on mobile, it seems that:
- Quote on the mobile version has encoding problems.
- Quote on the Desktop version (on mobile) is fine.
- Quick Edit on the Desktop version (on mobile) is fine.

Are you having problems with all of your posts using Quick Edit or only a few? A few mods have tested Android's browser and Chrome without issue.

Join MAL's Mod Team! ✧ 
Guidelines & FAQ ✧ 

Watch Cool Doji Danshi~ ✧ 
Dec 26, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2014
Kineta said:
Paulo27 said:
The problem is on the desktop version of the site on mobile, not my mobile or his mobile, all of them from what I have tested.
Using mobile for me never broke quotation marks or whatever but when using quick edit it does.
From testing with a few other people on mobile, it seems that:
- Quote on the mobile version has encoding problems.
- Quote on the Desktop version (on mobile) is fine.

Are you having problems with all of your posts using Quick Edit or only a few? A few mods have tested Android's browser and Chrome without issue.
I only tested that when the feature was introduced, seems to be working fine now.
I'm actually not sure now if the people with the encoding issues had been using the mobile version or the desktop version, so that could probably be it.
Anyways, everything is working fine for me (desktop version on mobile).
Dec 26, 2015 8:57 AM

Jun 2011
SnugglyWhuggly said:

They don't care what the community wants, we've seen this time and time again. The people who run MAL are extremely elitist; they never admit when they are wrong, and they think they know what's best for everyone.
Dec 26, 2015 9:16 AM

Jun 2012
A haiku:
These moderators
On this website are lazy
It's snowing on Mt Fuji
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 26, 2015 9:17 AM

Aug 2010
Kineta said:

Finally, please do not fill your posts with nonsense to meet the minimum character limit. This includes writing how you are typing more to meet the limit, swearing at the moderators, or filling your posts with nonsense. If you do, please be prepared for your post to be removed without notice and/or for you to receive a warning or ban for spam.

So ending your sentences with 25-29 dots is not allowed?
How will this be moderated anyways? The Mod staff is already underhanded, Will you be spending time going through threads deleting posts which end with "#30characterlimit" or what?

This is will add to the spam, not decrease it. Posters will likely add random ideas/sentences to their posts to get by this limit.
Dec 26, 2015 9:31 AM

Jan 2013
I still facepalm at this decision.
Dec 26, 2015 9:32 AM

Aug 2010
-Elevated- said:

Can't wait for them to retract if once, they realized how much extra modding will be needed
Dec 26, 2015 9:37 AM

Jun 2012
Nightwing said:
-Elevated- said:

Can't wait for them to retract if once, they realized how much extra modding will be needed
Knowing the stubbornness of the administration of this website, they'll keep it the same while ignoring the problem for the most part just to try and save face, which will ironically make them lose more face than ever before. Their tactic is to "keep our foot planted on the ground and wait until everyone forgets about it", which goes to show how much they really care for community involvement, because if there were any mods actively moderating the forums at the moment, they'd see the backlash that it has caused.

Trying to minimize spam by adding an arbitrary rule that could easily be overcome is not going to fix anything. More strict forum moderation is needed to tackle the issue.

The state of affairs in the anime discussion board is worse than it has ever been and there is no sight of it being taken care of. It's like the moderators implemented this function, walked away from their computers and said, "we'll be back once the dust has settled."
HolybaptiserDec 26, 2015 9:42 AM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 26, 2015 10:04 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Paulo27 said:
Anyways, everything is working fine for me (desktop version on mobile).
Thank you for the follow up, I appreciate it.

Join MAL's Mod Team! ✧ 
Guidelines & FAQ ✧ 

Watch Cool Doji Danshi~ ✧ 
Dec 26, 2015 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
Shittiest rule ever, doesn't make sense, reasons are invalid as they can be bypassed.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Dec 26, 2015 11:08 AM

Apr 2015
Go said:
Shittiest rule ever, doesn't make sense, reasons are invalid as they can be bypassed.
Exactly .
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Dec 26, 2015 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
well we'll just have to write something random to fill our post think a bit more before posting, I think I'll get used to it soon, thanks for the hard work guys
Dec 26, 2015 2:08 PM

Sep 2009
OneGuy said:
Why not create a SPAM button (like the spoiler button) that automatically forces short posts out of view by default? If people want to read the 'short post' they will have to click the button (knowing full well it's most likely junk). Result, a compromise, no censorship, and people have an option to read or not. I'm sure once members start seeing their posts appear as SPAM buttons, they may try a little harder to write something worthwhile.

Don't you think you're using the word 'censorship' a little too loosely?

And is this something you came up with off the top of your head, or do you have practical experience in the development of a large forum and know some way that such an idea can be implemented?

"I once made a post which didn't require any more than a single word."

Sure thing, but we're trying to deal with the far larger problem of the hundreds of posts that are nothing more than reaction images or one liners. If you can suggest a credible alternative that will achieve the same end result and which is practical, please go ahead.

This isn't the only thing we could have done to solve the reaction image problem: we could have disabled bb code and made it so that you can't post any images on the forum. Would you have preferred the staff to have done that instead?

The fact is that before any changes are introduced they are discussed among the admin team to find the best way of implementing them. We do not just issue decrees from on high, we put a lot of thought into the decisions we make.

Laniaka said:
People who make threads in the recommendations board do not do so because they want to have a discussion. They want recommendations. And people who post in the recommendations board do so because they want to share their favourite anime and/or because they want to help people.
I'm not saying you can't have discussions in the recommendations board but it's an extra and it's not part of the essence of asking and providing recommendations.

Well, the people who are making recommendations will just have to think of an additional few words to justify what they are saying. Instead of saying:

"Kare Kano"

They will have to say

"If you're looking for a good romantic comedy, I recommend you try Kare Kano. The episode re-caps are a little annoying and the ending is a bit of a mess, but it has some really good characters and a lot of laughs."

If this is stretching the limits of anyone's expression, they need not worry because something a bit more straightforward will also suffice:

"If you're looking for a good romantic comedy, you should try Kare Kano. The main character is really funny."

I think this far more helpful than simply stating a name and will be within the capabilities of all but the laziest of our userbase. But if anyone is troubled by this sudden expectation that you should have to justify your opinions, just remember the following 36 character phrase which will satisfy the minimum character requirements all by itself:

"It's my favourite anime of all time!"

You're welcome.

Narmy said:
They don't care what the community wants

Threads suggesting a minimum character count for forum posts:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1171619
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1445788

To say nothing of the discussions among moderators assessing the pros and cons of such a rule.

Narmy said:
The people who run MAL are extremely elitist

Absolutely. That suggestions board is just a trojan horse, designed to lull you all into a false sense of security that we will listen to your opinions while the moderation team plot new rule changes from within our secret lair inside a volcano.

Narmy said:
They never admit when they are wrong

I'm sorry to break it to you but when it comes to running a website, there is no right or wrong. It's all a matter of opinion. Rules are introduced in response to problems observed in the operation of the forum: in this case there were too many people posting short, useless responses and we have attempted to find a way to get rid of them. We have selected the most effective and practical way of doing so. Most of the alternative suggestions brought up in threads have been thought of and discussed already. Others are so impractical that they have never been discussed.

Now supposing that you came up with an idea, and worked hard to develop it but when you introduced it, a bunch of users were overreacting and wanted to get rid of it before there was even an opportunity to try it out. I do not think you would be willing to listen to them either, not before the change was given a fair trial at least.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 26, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2013
About the Quick Edit feature, is it intentional that it doesn't matter how quickly after posting a message you do an edit, the "was edited" note is added anyway? I think the normal edit doesn't add that if you edit within a few minutes after posting.
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Dec 26, 2015 2:33 PM

Oct 2010
Mayuka said:
AnnoKano said:

Is this supposed to be a joke?

Why is anyone providing people with recommendations, without any explanation for why they are relevant to the users requests, what they are actually about, or any information about them whatsoever other than their title?
There's not much to provide when the asker gives a specific requirement.

"Give me an Anime with lots of fanservice"

User: Anime Title

There's not much to add or explain.................

"You could try [Anime Title]". Here, you have the character limit covered and you haven't even needed to explain. I don't find this limit unreasonable. 15 characters is... what? Two words?
Dec 26, 2015 3:09 PM

Aug 2010
AnnoKano said:

Narmy said:
They don't care what the community wants

To say nothing of the discussions among moderators assessing the pros and cons of such a rule.

You linked two threads, which pooled a total of 46 posts as your proof for discussions? Most of the posts in those threads were against having such a limit.
What you trying to say then? You mods came together, made a decision, and that’s it?
Dec 26, 2015 3:37 PM

Sep 2009
Nightwing said:
AnnoKano said:

You linked two threads, which pooled a total of 46 posts as your proof for discussions? Most of the posts in those threads were against having such a limit.
What you trying to say then? You mods came together, made a decision, and that’s it?

No, as I mentioned in the post before, we came to the decision in our volcano lair.

It just so happens that our decision coincided with suggestions made on that particular forum, the one which was created especially to provide users with a place to make suggestions on how the site is run.

But like any suggestions board, we obviously exert some discretion. Reading through those topics it is clear that the user Aylaine has the most developed thoughts on the matter. THey have identified a problem which many others have noticed, the poor quality of posts and the large volume of one line responses and reaction images, and has found a possible solution to the problem.

As you have said, there are people who disagree with the suggestion, but these individuals have failed to identify any practical alternatives. We must still try to find a solution to the problem, but these posts are not really helpful in that regard. Keep in mind that even if these are the only threads in which the solution we actually adopted has been put in place they are but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to complaints about the poor quality of the forums in recent years. Then there are the discussions on IRC which are tracked only in the memory of the participants.

If you're dissatisfied by the changes that have been made, the solution is simple: take a more active role in the website. If you are so concerned about how the website is run, then try the following:

• Check the suggestions forum regularly, and participate in the discussions there.
  • Become active on our IRC channel, where you can discuss issues about rules with the moderation team directly, as well as with other members.
  • Attempt to understand why the moderation team has reached a decision, rather than dismissing it out of hand. Unless you can find a better alternative, accept the need to make compromises.

There are numerous opportunities for members to become involved in the decision making process on MAL, if you haven't taken advantage of them then you only have yourself to blame when we reach a decision that you do not like. We cannot wait around to make sure we have everyone's approval, we need to limit ourselves to those who choose to become involved.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Dec 26, 2015 3:44 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Thanks for adding in the quick edit and minimum characters feature.
Dec 26, 2015 4:23 PM

Oct 2012
AnnoKano said:
Laniaka said:

Well, the people who are making recommendations will just have to think of an additional few words to justify what they are saying. Instead of saying:

"Kare Kano"

They will have to say

"If you're looking for a good romantic comedy, I recommend you try Kare Kano. The episode re-caps are a little annoying and the ending is a bit of a mess, but it has some really good characters and a lot of laughs."

If this is stretching the limits of anyone's expression, they need not worry because something a bit more straightforward will also suffice:

"If you're looking for a good romantic comedy, you should try Kare Kano. The main character is really funny."

I think this far more helpful than simply stating a name and will be within the capabilities of all but the laziest of our userbase. But if anyone is troubled by this sudden expectation that you should have to justify your opinions, just remember the following 36 character phrase which will satisfy the minimum character requirements all by itself:

"It's my favourite anime of all time!"

You're welcome.
I'm not saying that it's a big problem to write more than just the title.
I can somewhat accept that as a side effect of this measure people will have to write more in their recommendations.

But the way it is presented here is that recommendation posts with just a title are somehow wrong. And that the recommendation board needs to have discussion. And I strongly disagree with those ideas.

In some cases it is more helpful to write additional information but in many cases it doesn't really add anything compared to just writing the title.
For example if someone asks for 'a romance manga where the characters get together early on' and I know a title where that happens. Why would it be wrong to just post that title?
The fact that it fits the request is implied in me posting the title and any reviews or information about the plot can be found on its mal page.
If I have something personal to add which is of interest then yes that could make my post even better, but usually I don't.
It seems that according to the staff that means my post is spam and worthless. But I'm not posting a recommendation for the staff. I'm posting it for the OP and most of the time they just want to find new anime/manga that fit their request, not discussion.
LaniakaDec 26, 2015 4:29 PM
Dec 26, 2015 4:49 PM

Dec 2012
Just kind of annoying for specific threads, like The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread. Many people submit images without anything else, and many people give answers to where the anime image is from, and more often than not, the responses are not that long. For example, Jayden asked where an image he posted was from, and I had to put periods to answer the user's question. I don't really know who asked for this feature to be implemented, so thanks MAL. (Quick edit feature is much appreciated though)
MakaDec 26, 2015 4:51 PM
Dec 26, 2015 4:50 PM
Apr 2013
Even though I am told to discuss this in PM, I will just bite the bullet and risk a ban by stating this publicly. Note, I am not going against the mods with this, just to post one of the problems in passing this rule as acceptable in MAL.

Apparently, my post responding to this question was deleted due to character filling which they count as Spam. I will abide with this if it is concerning one of my shitposts but unfortunately, it is not.

mafia_princess said:
How about when I want to quote someone and ask them a question? It's supposed to be 30 characters?

Some of you might know that I replied the questions above with a simple "Yes" and "asdasdadfasd" nonsense to fill the character limit. Acceptable, nothing wrong with the answer except the "Spam" that follows after it. The problem comes when I received a warning for something me, trying to help a fellow user inquiries about the new ruling. Mayuka pointed this out earlier(issues surrounding them) that questions like these require a simple direct answer of yes or no. You can elaborate it even further, but the inherent nature of the question posted suggest a direct, simple and short answer will be the most preferable and suitable. My aim was to answer in a plain and short manner so that the user will not misunderstand what I was trying to convey due to my sentence complexity and tediousness. Nor I want to beat around the bush by providing more words for the sake of character filling.

Now, by passing this warning towards me as something legitimate in MAL as stated in the rules, is it a justifiable action? You decide MAL.
worldeditor11Dec 26, 2015 4:51 PM
Dec 26, 2015 5:01 PM

Sep 2009
Laniaka said:
I'm not saying that it's a big problem to write more than just the title.
I can somewhat accept that as a side effect of this measure people will have to write more in their recommendations.

I'm glad to hear that, thank you for trying to see things from another perspective.

Laniaka said:
But the way it is presented here is that recommendation posts with just a title are somehow wrong. And that the recommendation board needs to have discussion. And I strongly disagree with those ideas.

I do not regularly post on recommendations, and when I did I will concede that the format was much more like what you have described: people posting titles without any real attempt to explain their reasoning.

But I also take the view that the purpose of any forum is to provide a place for discussion, and personally I think that recommendations should include some justification even if providing just a title will answer the question. It's good to know a bit more information to work out if it really matches what they're looking for.

This is a personal matter though.

Laniaka said:
In some cases it is more helpful to write additional information but in many cases it doesn't really add anything compared to just writing the title.
For example if someone asks for 'a romance manga where the characters get together early on' and I know a title where that happens. Why would it be wrong to just post that title?
The fact that it fits the request is implied in me posting the title and any reviews or information about the plot can be found on its mal page.
If I have something personal to add which is of interest then yes that could make my post even better, but usually I don't.
It seems that according to the staff that means my post is spam and worthless. But I'm not posting a recommendation for the staff. I'm posting it for the OP and most of the time they just want to find new anime/manga that fit their request, not discussion.

Well actually, the staff are not robots. We do recognise that there are some occasions where one does not need to say more than a single word; but they are much less frequent than the instances of worthless short posts that contribute nothing to discussion, and we have decided that curbing that is more of a priority than allowing people to post only titles in the recommendation threads.

It is not practical to make an exception for a single forum, and the minimum character count is already so low that it will only affect some anime titles leads us to believe this is the best possible compromise.

I do not think you need to worry about moderators attempting to redefine what a 'recommendation' is. So long as your posts fit the requirements introduced, without introducing meaningless gibberish to bypass it, you should have nothing to worry about.

Maka said:
Just kind of annoying for specific threads, like The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread. Many people submit images without anything else, and many people give answers to where the anime image is from, and more often than not, the responses are not that long. For example, Jayden asked where an image he posted was from, and I had to put periods to answer the user's question. I don't really know who asked for this feature to be implemented, so thanks MAL. (Quick edit feature is much appreciated though)

Please read through my previous posts, where I explained where this idea came about.

This will also provide some explanation for why the rule was introduced in the first place. We are aware that this will be a minor inconvenience for some specific threads but it was intended to deal with the much more prevalent problems of reaction images and posts that do not contribute to discussion.
AnnoKanoDec 26, 2015 5:06 PM

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Dec 26, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
30 characters per message really isnt bad at all, the single sentence prior to this was 19 over the minimum.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 26, 2015 5:25 PM

May 2008
AnnoKano said:

If you're dissatisfied by the changes that have been made, the solution is simple: take a more active role in the website. If you are so concerned about how the website is run, then try the following:

• Check the suggestions forum regularly, and participate in the discussions there.
  • Become active on our IRC channel, where you can discuss issues about rules with the moderation team directly, as well as with other members.
  • Attempt to understand why the moderation team has reached a decision, rather than dismissing it out of hand. Unless you can find a better alternative, accept the need to make compromises.

There are numerous opportunities for members to become involved in the decision making process on MAL, if you haven't taken advantage of them then you only have yourself to blame when we reach a decision that you do not like. We cannot wait around to make sure we have everyone's approval, we need to limit ourselves to those who choose to become involved.

Except that there are several active forum members with thousands of posts that do contribute more to the forums than, say, some mods who only sometimes lock/move threads and don't really post themselves.

Lots of the suggestions in said forum are ignored. The mods only listen to .5% of what people say there. And what about the support forum, where they're supposed to fix things, or at the very least pass it on that something on the back end isn't working? Nobody's fixed any of the search issues. Numerous people have complained about the slowness of database changes, and those haven't been addressed. Still not ETA on when new mods will be approved, and recruitment ended what, two months ago? Surely it doesn't take that long to go through applications, since I can hardly imagine quite that many people applied. The last update was at the beginning of December that they'd be announced "shortly". It's almost been a month.

And sure, having the IRC channel is great and all, but why can't we have these discussions on the forums? You yourself said that forums are for discussion, and that's the sort of discussion we should be having. But even in this thread, mods aren't addressing direct complaints. My entire post on the last page was completely ignored, despite bringing up several discussion points and what I thought were legitimate complaints.

The majority of users here disagree with how the staff implements changes and just throws out things without consulting the userbase. This has been brought up several times, but it's always dismissed because apparently we just don't understand what the purpose is or some shit like that. Just because you understand something doesn't mean you have to agree with it. Maybe there's something behind all the complaints almost every time a new feature is introduced and it's not just people bitching for the sake of bitching. Maybe the staff should take a look at how they do things, and realise that people have a problem with it and it's a lot more than "well you're not going to please everyone".
Dec 26, 2015 5:25 PM

Sep 2009
worldeditor11 said:
Even though I am told to discuss this in PM, I will just bite the bullet and risk a ban by stating this publicly. Note, I am not going against the mods with this, just to post one of the problems in passing this rule as acceptable in MAL.

Apparently, my post responding to this question was deleted due to character filling which they count as Spam. I will abide with this if it is concerning one of my shitposts but unfortunately, it is not.

mafia_princess said:

Some of you might know that I replied the questions above with a simple "Yes" and "asdasdadfasd" nonsense to fill the character limit. Acceptable, nothing wrong with the answer except the "Spam" that follows after it. The problem comes when I received a warning for something me, trying to help a fellow user inquiries about the new ruling. Mayuka pointed this out earlier(issues surrounding them) that questions like these require a simple direct answer of yes or no. You can elaborate it even further, but the inherent nature of the question posted suggest a direct, simple and short answer will be the most preferable and suitable. My aim was to answer in a plain and short manner so that the user will not misunderstand what I was trying to convey due to my sentence complexity and tediousness. Nor I want to beat around the bush by providing more words for the sake of character filling.

Now, by passing this warning towards me as something legitimate in MAL as stated in the rules, is it a justifiable action? You decide MAL.

According to my colleagues, you violated the rule more than once. In the first instance we can perhaps attribute it to foolishness, ignorance or an error, but nobody should need to be told the same thing twice.

Anyway, perhaps I can offer you some conciliation: moderators can no longer post responses like 'thread moved' anymore. We too will have to exert ourselves to writing out not just that a thread has been moved, but also specify to make sure the character limit is met.

It is a heavy burden indeed but we feel it is a worthy sacrifice to improve the forums for everyone.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Dec 26, 2015 5:39 PM
Apr 2013
AnnoKano said:

According to my colleagues, you violated the rule more than once. In the first instance we can perhaps attribute it to foolishness, ignorance or an error, but nobody should need to be told the same thing twice.

As I said, if it was one of the shitposts, I will accept it since clearly, I violated the rules. I have no problem with that. The problem comes when my genuine answer was flagged as Spam as well. Despite my effort in providing a decent reply, it seems that the Staff doesn't view it as such. Unjustifiable punishment is what it is. Furthermore, I proved that the rule have major issues in handling these sort of questions. I believe forum moderators can at least consider what they should do when this situation arises in the future.

AnnoKano said:

Anyway, perhaps I can offer you some conciliation: moderators can no longer post responses like 'thread moved' anymore. We too will have to exert ourselves to writing out not just that a thread has been moved, but also specify to make sure the character limit is met.

It means nothing more than you guys are shooting at your own legs by implementing this rule. Seems to me you are directly adding more points into the list why this rule doesn't work in MAL.

AnnoKano said:

It is a heavy burden indeed but we feel it is a worthy sacrifice to improve the forums for everyone.

Yeah, everyone. Sure..... Blatant hypocrisy at its finest. No prior discussion with the community. Utmost secrecy with the Staff internal workings. No wonder we have trust issues between the Staff and the general community.
worldeditor11Dec 26, 2015 6:04 PM
Dec 26, 2015 6:13 PM

Sep 2015
What you must understand is that minimalism is an art that should be preserved. I'm a man who can express himself concisely, and I wish I could continue doing so.
Dec 26, 2015 6:19 PM

Sep 2009
worldeditor11 said:

As I said, if it was one of the shitposts, I will accept it since clearly, I violated the rules. I have no problem with that. The problem comes when my genuine answer was flagged as Spam as well. Despite my effort in providing a decent reply, it seems that the Staff doesn't view it as such. Unjustifiable punishment is what it is. Furthermore, I proved that the rule have major issues in handling these sort of questions. I believe forum moderators can at least consider what they should do when this situation arises in the future.

Follow the rules or you will be banned: there is nothing else to say on the matter.

Zazie122 said:

Except that there are several active forum members with thousands of posts that do contribute more to the forums than, say, some mods who only sometimes lock/move threads and don't really post themselves.

This has been discussed a number of times, and the situation hasn't changed. Check the previous threads about rule changes if you wish to know more about this issue.

Zazie122 said:
Lots of the suggestions in said forum are ignored. The mods only listen to .5% of what people say there. And what about the support forum, where they're supposed to fix things, or at the very least pass it on that something on the back end isn't working? Nobody's fixed any of the search issues. Numerous people have complained about the slowness of database changes, and those haven't been addressed. Still not ETA on when new mods will be approved, and recruitment ended what, two months ago? Surely it doesn't take that long to go through applications, since I can hardly imagine quite that many people applied. The last update was at the beginning of December that they'd be announced "shortly". It's almost been a month.

Just because someone has an idea doesn't mean it is a good idea.

You have been on this site longer than I have, which means you should be well aware of the fact that MAL has changed more in the past year than it has in the five years before that. Perhaps you should give that some though before complaining that changes are not being made quickly enough.

Finally some problems are easier to solve than others. Just because it was possible to make this change now does not mean we have lost time that could have been spent doing something else.

Zazie122 said:
And sure, having the IRC channel is great and all, but why can't we have these discussions on the forums? You yourself said that forums are for discussion, and that's the sort of discussion we should be having. But even in this thread, mods aren't addressing direct complaints. My entire post on the last page was completely ignored, despite bringing up several discussion points and what I thought were legitimate complaints.

You are encouraged to discuss them here, but I would encourage you to join the IRC channel too if you wish to be more in touch with the goings on in MAL. I say this based on my own experience, and it allows you to speak to the moderation team in real time which can make discussion easier.

Zazie122 said:
The majority of users here disagree with how the staff implements changes and just throws out things without consulting the userbase. This has been brought up several times, but it's always dismissed because apparently we just don't understand what the purpose is or some shit like that. Just because you understand something doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Indeed, and the moderation team understands the reasoning behind the complaints being made, but we also have the benefit of a broader perspective on the issues of the website than most of the regular users do, as well as a better idea of what is feasible. Hence we sometimes do not agree with what users suggest to us.

Zazie122 said:
Maybe there's something behind all the complaints almost every time a new feature is introduced and it's not just people bitching for the sake of bitching. Maybe the staff should take a look at how they do things, and realise that people have a problem with it and it's a lot more than "well you're not going to please everyone".

But then I remember that we're discussing placing a very modest minimum character limit on forum posts to combat one of the site's biggest problems in recent years, and I start to wonder what happened to everyone's sense of perspective.
AnnoKanoDec 26, 2015 6:43 PM

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Dec 26, 2015 7:32 PM

Jul 2014
worldeditor11 said:
AnnoKano said:

Yeah, everyone. Sure..... Blatant hypocrisy at its finest. No prior discussion with the community. Utmost secrecy with the Staff internal workings. No wonder we have trust issues between the Staff and the general community.

As is with every change on MAL, from recently the review system destroyed with "not helpful" to profile system to now the stupid 30 character requirement.

MAL be damned.

Only the staff benefits because they push their agenda of one handed rule on the community while saying it benefits the community, sounds like communism (or fascism).
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - 3 hours ago

0 by Kineta »»
3 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
Today, 1:49 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime đź—» ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.