Forum Settings
Forums

Why are there so many anime from the ecchi/harem genre?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 2, 2015 10:58 AM

Sep 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Teyuga said:
I'm fine with avoiding them, don't get me wrong. I like some ecchi anime. It's series like Rakudai no Kishi that had potential but then all the cliches and the incest with the sister just agh. I was disappointed. I'm going to watch it eventually but all the hype got me all excited over nothing.

Its just one kiss and besides he's in love and dating Stella, the main heroine.

OT: They sell really well and weebs love their 2D girls. Plus there are always diamonds in the rough, so they're all not that bad.

Still. It just grosses me out. I have three brothers so thought of anybody doing that with a sibling just repulses me. Lol speaking of incest, a Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei fan! I love that show! And Tatsuya! The fight between Tatsuya and the Crimson prince was the best fight scene in the entire season.
Dec 2, 2015 11:03 AM

May 2015
Because 2D girls are kawaii~
Dec 2, 2015 11:17 AM
Jan 2015
Teyuga said:
Still. It just grosses me out. I have three brothers so thought of anybody doing that with a sibling just repulses me. Lol speaking of incest, a Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei fan! I love that show! And Tatsuya! The fight between Tatsuya and the Crimson prince was the best fight scene in the entire season.

I can understand that, I have siblings myself, so the thought of it does disturb me.Though I can handle incestrial undertones like in Mahouka and the mongatari series, because nothing actually happens, it is sometimes only used for comedic purposes(monogatari), and any actual incest is impossible(Tatsuya can't see Miyuki as more than his sister and Araragi is in love with Hitagi).

Good to see another mahouka fan, though I'm more of a fan of the LN's opposed to the anime, which I still enjoyed for the most part.
-MahesvaraDec 2, 2015 11:20 AM
My Queens

Dec 2, 2015 11:32 AM

Sep 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Teyuga said:

I can understand that, I have siblings myself, so the thought of it does disturb me.Though I can handle incestrial undertones like in Mahouka and the mongatari series, because nothing actually happens, it is sometimes only used for comedic purposes(monogatari), and any actual incest is impossible(Tatsuya can't see Miyuki as more than his sister and Araragi is in love with Hitagi).

Good to see another mahouka fan, though I'm more of a fan of the LN's opposed to the anime, which I still enjoyed for the most part.

I haven't seen the monogatari series but I was hesitant because of the incest. Good to know. For some reason I thought that ship has sailed for real. I may try it soon the. Who are Araragi and Hitagi again?

Oh you're a LN fan? Do you know where to find any decent translations? All the LN I've looked at had crappy quality and I didn't like them. Are they all like that or would they be good in decent translations?
Dec 2, 2015 11:37 AM
Jan 2015
Teyuga said:

I haven't seen the monogatari series but I was hesitant because of the incest. Good to know. For some reason I thought that ship has sailed for real. I may try it soon the. Who are Araragi and Hitagi again?

Oh you're a LN fan? Do you know where to find any decent translations? All the LN I've looked at had crappy quality and I didn't like them. Are they all like that or would they be good in decent translations?

Araragi is the MC and Hitagi is the first girl he helps save in the series. You can look up more info about them.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari

Yeah I do, just PM me.
My Queens

Dec 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2008
Hey guys, can you tell me why like in every Hollywood movie there's like a guy and a girl protagonist and they usually fall in love and stuff....I DON'T GET IT!!

I don't understand how the world works!!!
Dec 2, 2015 12:02 PM

Sep 2015
Fan service =/= ecchi.

The two examples you gave of Asterisk and Cavalry really can't be considered as ecchi series.
Harems yes, but ecchis? Na. Not even close.
This thread was brought up the other day and it was proven that there really wasn't that many ecchi shows out of all the currently airing ones. They might be some of the more popular series that get the most traffic, thus giving it the appearance that there's an abundance of these shows, but there's really no more of this genre than any other.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 2, 2015 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
Teyuga said:
With every new anime season there are ALWAYS several ecchi/harem anime. Some of the current popular ones right now that I can think of off the top of my head are Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and Gakusen Toshi Asterisk. There must be some plot buried deep beneath all the fan service. I just have yet to find it. Personally, I hate fan service and ecchi. It's annoying and it distracts from what otherwise could have been a decent plot. I miss the good old days where it was just a good story and no fan service. Of course, I am a straight female and the ecchi genre is aimed at boys so I can't really relate. Does the fan service really appeal to you that much or does anyone else think they should get rid of it?

There's this thing called research.... If you do some before you watch a show it would help you avoid this stuff you don't like really easily. The easiest way to weed out a fanservice show is to watch the opening or read a plot description. Best advice I can give a girl who doesn't like fanservice and is watching shows aimed at the opposite sex is either get used to it or to stick to women's demographics (shoujo, josei), because it's not going anywhere. These things are cash cows for animation studios. The money they bring in helps produce the non-echi/harem shows which often don't sell nearly as much.

As for why I watch it, I'm a straight man so the female body is within my interests, and I like to laugh.
KruszerDec 2, 2015 12:59 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 2, 2015 12:54 PM

Jul 2015
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 2, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
They sell.
Dec 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
With every new anime season there are ALWAYS several action anime. Some of the current popular ones right now that I can think of off the top of my head are One Punch Man and Noragami Aragoto. There must be some plot buried deep beneath all the shounen tropes. I just have yet to find it. Personally, I hate shounen tropes and pandering to kids. It's annoying and it distracts from what otherwise could have been a decent plot. I miss the good old days where it was just a good story and no pandering. Of course, I am a grown-ass male and the action genre is aimed at prepubescent boys so I can't really relate. Does the easily digestable, set-piece driven writing really appeal to you that much or does anyone else think they should get rid of it?
Dec 2, 2015 3:00 PM

Sep 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
With every new anime season there are ALWAYS several action anime. Some of the current popular ones right now that I can think of off the top of my head are One Punch Man and Noragami Aragoto. There must be some plot buried deep beneath all the shounen tropes. I just have yet to find it. Personally, I hate shounen tropes and pandering to kids. It's annoying and it distracts from what otherwise could have been a decent plot. I miss the good old days where it was just a good story and no pandering. Of course, I am a grown-ass male and the action genre is aimed at prepubescent boys so I can't really relate. Does the easily digestable, set-piece driven writing really appeal to you that much or does anyone else think they should get rid of it?

you're gonna need a better bait
Dec 2, 2015 3:10 PM

Apr 2014
Why not?
Feb 1, 2016 6:31 AM
Nov 2015
Teyuga said:
With every new anime season there are ALWAYS several ecchi/harem anime. Some of the current popular ones right now that I can think of off the top of my head are Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and Gakusen Toshi Asterisk. There must be some plot buried deep beneath all the fan service. I just have yet to find it. Personally, I hate fan service and ecchi. It's annoying and it distracts from what otherwise could have been a decent plot. I miss the good old days where it was just a good story and no fan service. Of course, I am a straight female and the ecchi genre is aimed at boys so I can't really relate. Does the fan service really appeal to you that much or does anyone else think they should get rid of it?

because Sex sells....................
Feb 1, 2016 6:33 AM

Apr 2013
Ecchi: 621
Harem: 310

Action: 2643
Comedy: 4312

What?
Feb 1, 2016 6:36 AM
Nov 2015

words to live by........................
Feb 1, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2013
Teyuga said:
SuperRed said:

I too remember remember those gold ol' days when there was no fanservice in anime back in...

back in...

uh...

um, sorry when was this again?

Hajime no Ippo, Initial D, Major. Around then. There are exceptions now too where some have no fan service (Sakamichi no Apollon) but it's hard to find them. By fan service I mean the blatantly obvious cliches like the guy falling on a girl's boobs, seeing her underwear, etc.

This tunnel vision. Anime back then had tons of ecchi. There's just more anime now. It's not like the ratio has changed by that much.

Also.
Teyuga said:

Ok, I'm going to be 100% honest with you right now.

As a guy, I can't deny that I've watched shows that have ecchi just because they're perverted. Those are guilty pleasure anime, but even I have my limits. I can't stand anime like Seikon No Qwaser or Maken Ki. The people who do like those anime, probably wouldn't wish that all anime became like them either.

Everyone has respect for anime on a fundamental level, but that doesn't mean we can't consume it passively just for fun. I mean Hunter X Hunter is an extremely popular anime with no ecchi after all.

Usually those shows at least have a modicum of a good story underneath it all too and the fanservice to me is akin to a good cover in a book. It drew me in. I know I'm glad I watched Juuou Mujin No Fafnir until the end (and then read the LNs... soo good), and I know people who only watched Junketsu No Maria because they thought Maria was cute. Otherwise, they were too busy and would only watch other shows that fell in line with their direct interests (not even anime.) One of the most loved shows here on MAL is Code Geass and that show had a lot of ecchi moments.

This doesn't mean I don't watch shows without ecchi. It's just that I have faith in the anime industry as a whole to make their shows either fun or thought provoking. Etotama had ecchi but it was fun. Asterisk Wars had ecchi but it was good to look at and I loved learning about the characters.

Regarding your comments about Rakudai. Holy shit that kiss scene between siblings made me cringe. It almost ruined the entire show for me, but I came back to it later and was glad I did. They even redeemed that almost irredeemable little sister in my eyes. Also, I think it's a bit prudish to get kind of sensitive about some skin. If you skim through these ecchi anime you'll realize that they are clothed and saying important stuff 90% of the time. Problem Children come from another world has some ecchi moments in it, but it's just for fun and doesn't mean anything. Taimadou Gakuen had only 1 or 2 "ecchi" moments in it too.
Feb 1, 2016 7:20 AM

Jun 2015
Well you don't need to think so hard to make one of those and it's popular among boys/men unless you are already immune then you have to go to the next level hentai hahahah.
Feb 1, 2016 7:21 AM

May 2009
I'm a straight guy and I dislike (not hate) ecchi/harem/etc anime.
Feb 1, 2016 7:25 AM

Apr 2014
Because they are popular and get watched regardless of the quality of the show.
Feb 1, 2016 7:26 AM

Jan 2013
fideldesu said:
I'm a straight guy and I dislike (not hate) ecchi/harem/etc anime.

I'm kind of curious what you consider ecchi XD
Feb 1, 2016 7:27 AM

Jan 2016
ACtually... why do people care about this? If you hate ecchi/harem then avoid shows that has these tags. Oh wait, do you actually believe that you're entitled to "better" shows?

ALso this:
Feb 1, 2016 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
Because anime is dying.

Anime is no longer a form of a art and expression of creativity, because anime today only serves to fulfil otaku wishes and pleasure.

Thats why Moe is taking over the industry
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 1, 2016 7:35 AM

Jun 2012
Probably because ecchi happens to be the best genre out there. I need my daily dose of busty, deredre onee-sans and lolis to be able to survive. Ecchi is nourishment for the soul.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 1, 2016 10:30 AM

Nov 2015
I find them creepy because they're all centered around high school, but then thats a huge issue all together, high school kids doing this high school kids doing that. Not to mention when they do have someone over 17 they're either a pervy old guy in his 60s or some chick who still LOOKS 16
Feb 1, 2016 11:16 AM

Nov 2009
Teyuga said:
Yeah. I realize that. I was just wondering if it's really that appealing to the people who like the genre.

Imagine you're me. I'm male, and talented in the field of math and physics. So I went and studied a lot of math and physics. Since the 9th grade, whenever I went, men outnumbered the women. And there always were manlier men than me, and so those few girls that were there didn't date me. That's unsurprising, because I wasn't outgoing and extroverted ever. And dating, for men, is about being outgoing and extroverted, because culture. And I probably have some more flaws on top of that.
Of course, I'm male, and I had my hormones and desire for romance, sex and stuff all the time.

So, do you really think I want to see a show about 4 guys and 1 girl, and the girl ends up with the guy who is nothing like me (hint - it's usually the main character, who fought evil with physics-defying stupidity and the power of friendship)?
Or a show where a bunch of girls throw themselves at a guy who is a lot like me?
Provided everything else stays constant, I want to see the second kind of show. Bonus points of the MC actually has any of my good sides, not just my weaknesses.

P.S. And don't forget the "girl for every kind of taste" aspect. Contrary to what critics might tell you, not all the girls in a harem are dumb big-breasted blondes. There are genki girls and shy girls, straight-laced class rep and a drunk teacher, dumb catgirls and wise elves...
Feb 1, 2016 11:21 AM

Dec 2015
Sidartha1 said:
Because anime is dying.

Anime is no longer a form of a art and expression of creativity, because anime today only serves to fulfil otaku wishes and pleasure.

Moe took over the industry a long time ago.
Feb 1, 2016 11:25 AM

Aug 2015
Because they sell.. they also need $$ to provide you some good shit. Studios are closing one at a time because there are lots of people who doesn't even care to buy the CDs or any related materials as long as they can watch for free.

So other studios might be thinking "forget about good stuffs if you're going to take it for free" which I don't mind because I like harem/ecchi. I'll spend some $$ to buy some anime figures.
Feb 1, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2016
I suppose that they sell well and most men like ecchi, easier to adapt/make as well
Feb 1, 2016 12:17 PM

Sep 2013
They sell well enough to produce and fund a great number of them. So basically, supply and demand.
Feb 1, 2016 12:19 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly think ecchi will eventually kill all female fans (not literally) and i feel bad for women in general. But as a guy im all for ecchi coz i love dat shit, but only with good plot and cgi.
Oh btw, Cavarly wasnt rly that ecchi, it was more serious than any other ecchi ive seen, plus the ending was superb too, so i assume u havent seen the ones that have ecchiness going OVER THE TOP :D
Feb 1, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
Sidartha1 said:
Because anime is dying.

Why do you have to be so depressing?

You're acting like good anime aren't even being made. Death Parade, Kekkai Sensen and fucking Shingeki No Bahamut came out recently. I can't imagine anime w/o attack on titan anymore either.

Also FMA:B and Code Geass came out after Neon Genesis Evangelion and LOGH.

Anime's doing fine. You're the one with a stick up your butt if you can't enjoy all the good stuff coming out right now.
Feb 1, 2016 4:18 PM

Mar 2015
Sidartha1 said:
Because anime is dying.

azumanga daioh is moe. so does yotsubato.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 1, 2016 4:25 PM

Mar 2012
They sell even if they're bad and that only requires low budget, even if they don't sell many BDs/DVDs they would sell a lot of merch, enough for it to cover their budget and even profit as well.
Feb 1, 2016 10:05 PM

Dec 2015
NeoAnkara said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php

Harem (307)
Ecchi (609)

Now look.

Slice of Life (1,092)
Fantasy (2,116)
Romance (1,392)
Comedy (4,245)

Certainly not a lot.

But to be fair some of those genres have multiple genres. If you look at the entries in the Ecchi genre you will see they are also categorized as Fantasy/Slice/romance(especially)/comedy.

An Infinitely Expanding Universe Of Infinite Possibility.
Feb 1, 2016 10:10 PM

Mar 2015
RaTTman77 said:
NeoAnkara said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php

Harem (307)
Ecchi (609)

Now look.

Slice of Life (1,092)
Fantasy (2,116)
Romance (1,392)
Comedy (4,245)

Certainly not a lot.

But to be fair some of those genres have multiple genres. If you look at the entries in the Ecchi genre you will see they are also categorized as Fantasy/Slice/romance(especially)/comedy.
it goes to both ways. so no, it's already fair.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 1, 2016 10:17 PM

Dec 2015
Yasukoto said:
I find them creepy because they're all centered around high school, but then thats a huge issue all together, high school kids doing this high school kids doing that. Not to mention when they do have someone over 17 they're either a pervy old guy in his 60s or some chick who still LOOKS 16

I'll see that and raise you Queen's Blade. Excellent story that deals with several sub-plots of different characters. Also, deals with the morality of ruling and how it effects family/citizens.

An Infinitely Expanding Universe Of Infinite Possibility.
Feb 2, 2016 12:02 AM

May 2015
It has an obvious formula so you don't have to wrestle for much. Many designs are even formulaic, like the straight-long-hair. They make a lot of it because they're easy to make.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 2, 2016 2:16 AM

Nov 2013
Despite needing little to no effort to create a plot for them, they still sell well..
Mar 31, 2016 4:57 AM
Aug 2015
because guys like me buy them twice "dvd and blue'ray
so they keep being made
Mar 31, 2016 4:59 AM

Dec 2015
Because they are yum yum.

Those that try to combine with generic story and weak fanservice is the worst kind of animu ever tho <.<
Mar 31, 2016 5:00 AM
Jun 2015
I assume that those genres are fairly popular in Japan
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does wearing sunglasses make female anime characters look hotter ?

KingSunWukong - 14 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
33 seconds ago

» 1 trick pony, but it's actually peak!

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

15 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Does your waifu know how to strike a good pose?

Catalano - 5 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - 12 hours ago

20 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 57 minutes ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.