Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 28, 2015 2:38 AM

May 2015
Slow pace is an excellent way to make your anime look smart without actually being it. Just say that anyone who wants it to go faster has ADD or something.

Of course, it's not always like that. There are stuff like Mushishi that wouldn't work with a quick pace. The people in Mushishi live fairly slow and calm lives so the slowness helps us get in the mood, to understand the context of their lives.

Any other examples of how slow pacing contributes?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 28, 2015 2:41 AM
Jun 2015
JewellTH said:
Pandora Hearts manga has the answer.
Nov 28, 2015 2:50 AM

Aug 2011
Slow pacing can be a strong technique the shift the light of focus in an anime, too. House of Five Leaves has a slow pace, despite plot points feeling large out of context. But the real core of the show centers around a lot of what isn't being shown, and it's done in an advantageous way there.

I also think slow horror works much better than fast horror. Fast horror tends to shift into action or action/comedy in the second half when a lot of the initial cause for fear is gone. Fear works through the unknown, and once the antagonist is understood, it's hard to stay afraid. Slow horror has such a crescendo to it that helps avoid these pitfalls. I hope when Uzumaki is eventually adapted to an anime that it paces itself nice and slow. An example of the opposite would be something like Tokyo Ghoul, which is more action/drama than it was ever horror, or Shiki, which had a very tense first cour but kinda fell into an awkward pace where it couldn't decide if it was speeding up or keeping course. It still managed to wrap up nicely, though.

Also, I think a great example of "slow just to look smart" was Wolf's Rain. That show needed action and speed (and a good plot) and really should've been one cour. Drawing it into two and adding four recap episodes made the series' pacing almost offensive. My face puckers like I'm sucking on a lemon when I remember it.

EDIT: Perfect Blue is a great example of the slow horror. Lots of heavy inspiration from Alfred Hitchcock and his style of scaring the audience.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Nov 28, 2015 2:58 AM

Jan 2015
Natsume's Book of Friends and Honey and Clover are good examples of teenage angst in slow paced mode
Only Yesterday is a good example of a nostalgic slow pacing
Glasslip is a good example of nothing pacing
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 28, 2015 3:07 AM

Jul 2014
Uchuu Kyoudai is a good example of a slow paced anime as the slow pace allows you to get invested in the story and characters
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Nov 28, 2015 3:07 AM

Apr 2015
Monster, Shinsekai yori, Uchuu Kyoudai and kaiba, that are my recommendations.

And if you don't mind watching a short film, tsumiki no ie.
Nov 28, 2015 3:10 AM

Jul 2013
Blood+ has slow pacing, but it was exceuted of a good way. I would count Overlord... at least in the first 9 episodes.
Nov 28, 2015 3:20 AM

Jun 2015
Angel's Egg is one of the first things to come to mind. There are a few scenes where literally nothing is happening but the atmosphere is so absorbing that it doesn't even matter.

Ergo Proxy's slow pace bothered me in a few episodes. It repeated itself way too much.

Nov 28, 2015 3:55 AM

Jul 2013
Akatsuki no Yona has a slow pacing that it fits it wonderfully. It actually takes its time to develop its plot and characterize its cast.

codephat said:
Ergo Proxy's slow pace bothered me in a few episodes. It repeated itself way too much.

As much as I love Ergo Proxy, the pacing really was a problem. There were times where I would just watch one to two episodes a day instead of my usual marathoning method.
Nov 28, 2015 4:13 AM

Feb 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Slow pace is an excellent way to make your anime look smart without actually being it.
heh.. you should watch Super Sonico
Nov 28, 2015 4:17 AM

Jul 2013
Shiki and Honey and Clover.
Nov 28, 2015 4:42 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
Casshern Sins is very slow paced but it feels right and is one of my favs
Then there's Saraiya Goyuu and Kino no Tabi that I also remember being pretty slow
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Nov 28, 2015 4:58 AM

Jun 2015
There was a time in which I considered Monster as a slow-paced show. Not anymore. This really depends on the sample you're taking into account
Nov 28, 2015 5:01 AM

Feb 2015
DBZ
Nov 28, 2015 5:47 AM

Nov 2015
if you want to get off on slow pace, thats your own prerogative. I don't really need it to understand anything.
Nov 28, 2015 5:47 AM
Mar 2014
r0kka no yuushaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 28, 2015 7:43 AM

Sep 2013
the perfect insider
Nov 28, 2015 8:09 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Slow pace is an excellent way to make your anime look smart without actually being it.
I dispute this heavily.

A slow pace is by far the hardest to pull off because it is in a slow paced experience that the viewer is able to absorb the most amount of information. If your show is deficient and/or has nothing to say, a slow pace will punish you even harder than a fast paced experience where many things can happen at once and the viewer is unable to quickly process things in context.
Nov 28, 2015 11:34 AM

Sep 2015
Overlord was fairly slow paced, all things considered, but it would work up to something and reward you with an explosive episode. You'd see that the episodes were building up to something big, towards two characters eventually meeting, and when they finally do the slow pace pays off big time; you've gotten hyped up for the grand finale and it really does deliver.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 28, 2015 12:16 PM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I dispute this heavily.

A slow pace is by far the hardest to pull off because it is in a slow paced experience that the viewer is able to absorb the most amount of information. If your show is deficient and/or has nothing to say, a slow pace will punish you even harder than a fast paced experience where many things can happen at once and the viewer is unable to quickly process things in context.

I did not say whether it's hard to pull off or not. I said it's a useful tool to tell the viewer that This is Deep. If you have nothing to say, a slow pace can easily cover it up.
Nov 28, 2015 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:

Watch Eve no Jikan ONA already. It's slow-pacing AND smart show.
It also has no action, since it's very chill, nice and laid-back series.
Nov 28, 2015 12:40 PM

Oct 2013
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I dispute this heavily.

A slow pace is only effective if the viewer is not so bored by the pacing that absorption of information is no longer effective or possible. Some have done this well, others poorly.

Shows like Steins;Gate and Spice & Wolf have done this well. They have a fairly slow pace, particularly towards the start, but they utilised every asset anime as a medium may offer and communicated information seamlessly and effectively to the viewers. Slowing down the pace itself is not enough. The delivery has to be meaningful, effective and suitable for the pace.

The Chimera Ant arc of HxH is probably the worst example of this. Aside from having arguably the slowest pace I've seen in anime since DBZ, the slow pace was achieved by literally using slow motion and obscene amounts of narration, where in some episodes less than a minute of real time could be stretched into a full episode. The problem is that it made a poor use of anime as a medium, and the buildup was thus very boring.
RinthNov 28, 2015 12:44 PM
Nov 28, 2015 12:52 PM

Aug 2010
More episodic things like Natsume's Book of Friends deserve more tranquil pacing. It can have a calming effect, if done right.

Avenger is an example of an anime where the slow pace makes it a chore just to watch, especially when you realize that there is no payoff.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 28, 2015 12:57 PM

Jun 2015
If you want slow but good anime, the two anime to check out are Monster and Bartender.
Nov 28, 2015 12:57 PM

Feb 2013
In most stories I like that happen to have slow pacing, the pacing is something I can tolerate. Kaiji for the most part turns it's slow pacing into an actual strength.
Nov 28, 2015 2:05 PM

Dec 2013
Hmmm...I guess I'd go with Monster, Logh, Hyouge Mono.
Nov 28, 2015 2:18 PM

Oct 2010
Azumanga Daioh. Slow pacing used to enhance spacey comedy and character emphasis and interaction. At some point in the series, a character pets a dog for at least 40 seconds in a single shot. And it works.
Nov 28, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2015
jal90 said:
Azumanga Daioh. Slow pacing used to enhance spacey comedy and character emphasis and interaction. At some point in the series, a character pets a dog for at least 40 seconds in a single shot. And it works.

I wouldn't call Azumanga slow it all. It loves to use moments of silence, but it has a moderate pacing that fits the stories.
Nov 28, 2015 4:03 PM

Oct 2014
I think Non Non Biyori is fairly slow paced but even with my ADD it's one of my favourite anime. This isn't an anime yet, but the pacing in Dagashi Kashi is pretty slow. There is a bit of romance and there is supposed to be a plot, but it feels episodic and the characters themselves recognise how long it's taking for the story to advance. It is still a great manga and I hope it will be a good anime this coming winter.
Nov 28, 2015 5:17 PM

Nov 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
masterofgo said:
I dispute this heavily.

I did not say whether it's hard to pull off or not. I said it's a useful tool to tell the viewer that This is Deep. If you have nothing to say, a slow pace can easily cover it up.

I would say it's the opposite. If there's a slow pace and the story has little to offer either thematically or entertainment-wise, a slow pace makes it far more obvious than a fast pace does.

That's why Glasslip gets so much hate, by the way.
Nov 28, 2015 5:38 PM
Feb 2013
Most of the mystery genre is fine with slow pacing. Usually the suspense and mystery keeps you interested enough.

Another and Shiki. Some of the slowest pacing, but still very interesting. Although both endings were shit.
KendiKongNov 28, 2015 5:55 PM
Nov 28, 2015 5:59 PM

Jun 2015
Making it go slow makes me infuriated as hell. I hate having everything being resolved in the very end. I want to see what happens after that. That's why I liked aesthetic of a rogue hero a lot even if was just a lot of fan service.

Especially in romances, you notice a lot of crappy ones always have the kiss or the almost kiss in the last two minutes of the final episode? Yeah I hate that. That's slow pacing for you. I didn't watch 11 or 23 episodes for a two minute conclusion.
Nov 28, 2015 6:42 PM

Aug 2015
Mushishi.. f-f-fantastic.. you can adlib on the 2nd f.
Nov 28, 2015 8:01 PM

Sep 2015
Monster has good slow pacing for character development.
Nov 28, 2015 10:20 PM

Nov 2014
Seirei no Moribito. Since the dialog tends to be conversational rather than expository, the sedate pacing gives you time to breathe, and reflect on the moods of the characters and the world they inhabit. There are stressful moments, but it's not consistently stressful thanks to the pacing.
aikaflipNov 28, 2015 10:42 PM
Nov 28, 2015 10:22 PM

Sep 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
I think Non Non Biyori is fairly slow paced but even with my ADD it's one of my favourite anime. This isn't an anime yet, but the pacing in Dagashi Kashi is pretty slow. There is a bit of romance and there is supposed to be a plot, but it feels episodic and the characters themselves recognise how long it's taking for the story to advance. It is still a great manga and I hope it will be a good anime this coming winter.

NNB is a cure for the soul though. Nobody can hate it when Ren-chan's on screen!
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 28, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2014
One of the best examples I can think of is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It uses slow pace combined with the ambient noises, and the bleak, cold weather during winter to show how empty and uneventful the world seems to Kyon without Haruhi in it.

Also, Steins;Gate. The 2nd half wouldn't have had as much impact, at least on me, if not for the slower first half. You spend several episodes with the characters, learning about them and what they mean to each other, in the process getting attached to them, and then understand what they're going through when shit hits the fan later.
Nov 29, 2015 1:01 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I would say it's the opposite. If there's a slow pace and the story has little to offer either thematically or entertainment-wise, a slow pace makes it far more obvious than a fast pace does.

That's why Glasslip gets so much hate, by the way.

I agree, but it seems generally that slow pace is seen as a virtue - the anime is 'mature' and you just need to stop 'being an autistic ADHDH kid' to enjoy it.
Nov 29, 2015 6:43 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Which is precisely the opposite of what I said. If you have a slow paced show, then the flaws are magnified to the extremes because there is so much less content per frame.
Nov 29, 2015 6:54 AM

Feb 2015
Haibane Renmei comes to mind, idk why
Check out My List here

(Censored) said:
I have no clue what The Devil is a Part-timer. But I'm guessing it has to do with a devil, being a part timer. xd
You can watch Hataraku Maou-Sama!
It's about the devil Satan, who is a part timer in Mcdonald...

YEP
Nov 30, 2015 1:04 AM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Which is precisely the opposite of what I said. If you have a slow paced show, then the flaws are magnified to the extremes because there is so much less content per frame.

At this point, it depends on the viewer's critical thought. Some don't have enough and easily buy into techniques that tell you This is Deep.
Nov 30, 2015 1:05 AM

Sep 2009
Kannazuki no Miko. It lets you appreciate the atmosphere and builds dramatic tension.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 30, 2015 5:01 AM

Jan 2013
Huh how come no one mentioned One Piece
Nov 30, 2015 5:07 AM

Dec 2012
For me, nothing. I have yet to come across that in anime. Surprisingly I have no problem with it on Movies or manga.
Nov 30, 2015 5:16 AM
Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
masterofgo said:

At this point, it depends on the viewer's critical thought. Some don't have enough and easily buy into techniques that tell you This is Deep.
I think people confuse depth with atmosphere sometimes. A good example is .hack/sign, the pacing is so slow and barely explores its themes and characters but it has a moody atmosphere, ambiguous world, and good ost that lends to it appearing deep to the fans of the show.

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.