Forum Settings
Forums

When you recommend someone an anime and get a huge backlash.

New
Nov 27, 2015 12:25 AM

Sep 2015
So recently I recommended an acquaintance of mine Steins;Gate telling him that it was one of the best anime I have ever watched and he contacted me back after a day extremely pissed saying that I had shit taste. I know that not everyone is fond of Steins;Gate but for a person that thinks Terraformars is a masterpiece to say I have shit taste for liking Steins;Gate completely threw me off. Anyways back to the topic did anyone here have a similar experience?
Nov 27, 2015 12:28 AM

Jul 2009
Did he actually watch it before calling you out for having shit taste?

And yep, I had the same thing happen. I got my brother to watch Mirai Nikki cause I was obsessed with it (at the time, anyway. I still like it, but defs not as much as I first did after finishing it). I got him to watch it and he hated it and now believes that I have the shittiest taste in the world and now refuses to watch anything I ask him to. Whatever, his loss.
Sep 2014
holy_snappers said:
So recently I recommended an acquaintance of mine Steins;Gate telling him that it was one of the best anime I have ever watched and he contacted me back after a day extremely pissed saying that I had shit taste. I know that not everyone is fond of Steins;Gate but for a person that thinks Terraformars is a masterpiece to say I have shit taste for liking Steins;Gate completely threw me off. Anyways back to the topic did anyone here have a similar experience?

Yes, people recommended me to watch Akame Ga Kill. Oh man was I disappointed and mad. however that was in the beginning so I wasn't really thinking into it.

A while later another friend recommended Reading Pandora Hearts. That specific friend has a good taste in my opinion (I don't like saying it like that. maybe that he has good critical evaluation about anime.)
and it wasn't even close to a masterpiece. I wasn't expecting that from him and yeah, I got annoyed.
Mar 2014
holy_snappers said:
So recently I recommended an acquaintance of mine Steins;Gate telling him that it was one of the best anime I have ever watched and he contacted me back after a day extremely pissed saying that I had shit taste.

tell him his taste is fucking trash.
holy_snappers said:
I know that not everyone is fond of Steins;Gate but for a person that thinks Terraformars is a masterpiece to say I have shit taste for liking Steins;Gate completely threw me off. Anyways back to the topic did anyone here have a similar experience?

I dont mind it if they can back up their argument with some legitimate criticism.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime

Apr 2013
Nah, my friends are pretty casual so recommending them stuff is pretty easy. My brother recommended me Tenjou Tenge though and it is horrible.
Nov 27, 2015 12:29 AM

Nov 2015
Is this not simply how people talk to each other nowadays. They didn't like it. Get over it.

Oct 2014
My cousin recommended me Honey and Clover but I dropped it halfway through (episode 18) because I found it hard to follow the different characters' stories. I later recommended him Non Non Biyori and he hasn't even started it. I recommended him Hal and he really liked it.

May 2008
I haven't yet, but I do recommend people things and I wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up not liking something I recommended.

Honestly sometimes I just want to troll every recommendation thread with "watch Kurobas".
Nov 27, 2015 12:43 AM

May 2015
Your avatar confirms that you have shit taste.
Nov 27, 2015 12:44 AM

Nov 2009
A recommendation is usually an evaluation of quality, not evaluation of suitability for a given viewer. Also, people are very different, sometimes surprisingly different. It's inevitable, I'd say.
Nov 27, 2015 12:47 AM

May 2008
flannan said:
A recommendation is usually an evaluation of quality, not evaluation of suitability for a given viewer. Also, people are very different, sometimes surprisingly different. It's inevitable, I'd say.

What? On MAL at least I usually see people recommending things that they think will fit with the OP's tastes, or at least from what they wrote in the thread.
Nov 27, 2015 1:02 AM

Nov 2009
Zazie122 said:
flannan said:

What? On MAL at least I usually see people recommending things that they think will fit with the OP's tastes, or at least from what they wrote in the thread.

Recommendation threads on MAL forums are different from recommendation in MAL's anime description and both are different from recommending your friend some anime to watch.
I was talking about the later.
Nov 27, 2015 1:18 AM
Aug 2012
people like terraformars? lol
Nov 27, 2015 1:42 AM

Dec 2014
My friend judges anime based on the name so I don't bother recommending them stuff anymore.
Nov 27, 2015 2:00 AM

Sep 2015
Kill him
Time travel animu is cereal business

Anyway When I had anime-watching friends we didn't really recommend each other anything but just talked about whatever

The in thing was Fairy Tail then
Back when it was just a generic shonen, not Natsu beats everyone with friendship power ups and Lucy (and every other female) is just a pair of anime tiddies.

Pretty casual shit
Nov 27, 2015 2:05 AM
Mar 2011
I never recommend anime to others, and if they really ask, I say something like "I like this and this, but you would probably hate it".
Nov 27, 2015 2:15 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I recommended Kaiji to a friend once and he dropped it after like 4 eps, I cried for a week.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Nov 27, 2015 2:31 AM

Jul 2015
While it was airing,,i recommended parasyte to a friend and he said it was shitty.but after it ended he told me thanks it was really enjoyable.i was confused but whatever.the only good explanation is that he lied to me and didn't check it out at first.
my brother told me to check out aldnoah zero and that it was the best anime ever.while the first season was somewhat average.the second one was complete bullshit.
But yeah what would you expect from a 13 yrs old with shit taste and who fangasms about every little thing that happens in fairy tail.
Nov 27, 2015 2:32 AM

May 2015
Your friend is clearly an idiot. Even if he doesn't like the show, he doesn't need to have a go at you for recommending to him an anime that most people (including yourself) find enjoyable. He sounds like a prick and probably needs a good smack.

Nov 27, 2015 3:42 AM

Feb 2015
I've never had a backlash over recommending an anime to my friend. But there's a few he dropped because it just wasn't his thing.
Nov 27, 2015 3:58 AM

Feb 2010
did he watch whole steins;gate or only first episodes? because begining realy sucks only later it becomes better.. well anyway its difficult to recommend anime for another person i always try to mention bad parts of anime so never did get complaints
Nov 27, 2015 4:01 AM

Aug 2014
Eh, I don't even try to recommend stuff if someone has quite different taste compared to mine.
Nov 27, 2015 4:23 AM

Jun 2014
boletarier said:
I recommended Kaiji to a friend once and he dropped it after like 4 eps, I cried for a week.

Some people are weak simply to put it.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 27, 2015 4:48 AM
Nov 2015
Billion Times!
Nov 27, 2015 4:52 AM

May 2013
galimx said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Some people are weak simply to put it.

How can someone drop Kaiji? Its so fucking intense and suspensful. You start to watch it and then you cant stop. The mind games are pretty entertaining and cool.

Apparently, they thought otherwise.
Nov 27, 2015 5:18 AM

Sep 2014
Never happened to me, lol. I gave some recommendations that people disliked but to get insulted for that? lol that sucks
Nov 27, 2015 5:30 AM

Jan 2015
#justweebproblems
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Nov 27, 2015 7:15 AM

Jan 2015
Nope
Nov 27, 2015 7:15 AM

May 2015
Paella_ said:
#justweebproblems
Nov 27, 2015 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
No, that never happened to me, but the people who ask me know that my taste and theirs is different and theyre not stupid enough to blame or label me for that.
Nov 27, 2015 7:37 AM

Jul 2013
G_Spark233 said:
First world problems

I have never recomend any anime to anybody (apart of the recomendations that I made in MAL), so I never had this problem.
Nov 27, 2015 7:38 AM

Aug 2015
Nope. Cuz I don't recommend people anime.
Nov 27, 2015 7:38 AM

Nov 2011
Some people just can't appreciate anime that require some thinking.

Nov 27, 2015 7:51 AM
Mar 2014
KaiserNazrin said:

It's not really about thinking. Some people just like ONE type of show or can't really appreciate characters, a complex story or anything. They just watch shit that looks/feels cool like TG and fucking terraformars and praise them because they're mature and edgy. It's annoying, but there isn't much you can do about it.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Nov 27, 2015 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
I recommend stuff to my best friend all the time. He always ends up dropping whatever I ask him to watch.

Then again, he loves One Piece, Bleach, SAO... basically all the anime that I hate. I have no idea what to suggest, I don't really watch that kind of shit.
Nov 27, 2015 8:20 AM

Aug 2010
omfgplzstop said:
KaiserNazrin said:

It's not really about thinking. Some people just like ONE type of show or can't really appreciate characters, a complex story or anything. They just watch shit that looks/feels cool like TG and fucking terraformars and praise them because they're mature and edgy. It's annoying, but there isn't much you can do about it.

You can always not give a fuck, that one works wonders.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Nov 27, 2015 10:02 AM

Sep 2015
Not really. Whenever I recommend an anime to my friends, I'll tell them why I liked it, give them a brief synopsis without spoiling anything and try to be fair about recommending it "You might not necessarily like it, but I really enjoyed it, so give it a try anyway". So they know beforehand what to expect, and they don't have any grounds to badmouth me for it.

Not that badmouthing me for it would be in any way justified in the first place.

If you get major backlash for sharing your interests, then you need better friends. Or less narrow-minded ones.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 27, 2015 10:13 AM

Nov 2011
I don't think anyone has gotten pissed at me over a reccomend action I've given but there is this annoying thing where I'll reccomend them one of my favorite anime and they'll immediately disregard it because it's too old or the art isn't traditional anime art.
Nov 27, 2015 10:14 AM

Nov 2011
Dark_Chaos said:
galimx said:

How can someone drop Kaiji? Its so fucking intense and suspensful. You start to watch it and then you cant stop. The mind games are pretty entertaining and cool.

They have shit taste then!

(Actually yeah I can see why Kaiji isn't for everyone)
Nov 27, 2015 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
Happened with Bebop.

Friend A: This show is shit, there was an episode where everyone was just taking about some videotape and another one about mold in a fridge.

Me: Bro just keep watching and actually watch from beginning to end don't just watch random episodes.
Nov 27, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2015
One of the best anime and you haven't it in your favorites...
Not all can appreciate slow-paced anime,if you don't know very well his anime's taste,stains gate wasn't the smartest choice.
Nov 27, 2015 10:38 AM

Oct 2015
Unless your a perv or a Yuri fanatic, your probably not gonna like what I recommend...
Nov 27, 2015 10:44 AM

Nov 2011
DarkLordofYuri said:
Unless your a perv or a Yuri fanatic, your probably not gonna like what I recommend...
I'll keep that in mind.
Nov 27, 2015 10:44 AM

Oct 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
galimx said:

your friend is weird
one does not simply drop kaiji
Nov 27, 2015 2:43 PM

Nov 2014
holy_snappers said:

He prolly didn't realise Ruka was a boy till he finished fapping and hit play again. Also explains the anger.
Nov 27, 2015 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
Well, the first few episodes are a bit weird yes, and it's slow paced. So he probably didn't see it until the end. I'm one of the few that did not enjoy Steins;Gate so much, however, it is not exceptionally BAD.
Nov 27, 2015 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
I used to not like Steins Gate. It was very slow in the beginning but I managed to digest the game, went back to the anime and I love it.

Pretty much I get backlash if I recommend School Days.

"Are you forreal brah?"

"Why are you trolling?"

No...I'm not trolling.
Nov 28, 2015 1:00 AM

Oct 2011
Do not confuse hype with recommendation.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

32 by Daviljoe193 »»
5 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.