Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2015 5:35 PM

Mar 2014
Looking at images like these have made me question how far video games might have fallen in the past decades.

Ignoring the obvious increase of sales and advertisement, Is there some merit to linearity for these genres?

Nov 24, 2015 5:37 PM

May 2012
People are dumb. They don't like complexity or ambiguity. They want everything handed to them. Dumb demographic of dumb dumbs.
Nov 24, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 2008
People just don't want to master or even just learn things these days.

Nov 24, 2015 5:48 PM
Mar 2011
the weste games industry

before to say it not only the west look at the revies of games like angest senki got from western hgames press stuff like its to hard and oho its unballced when it was not
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 24, 2015 6:00 PM

Jan 2015
It's easier to sell it to a younger audience if the game is simple.
Nov 24, 2015 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
Even simple games have become difficult to make due to present standards and publishers don't want to change the tried and true cinematic formula to rake in all the cash they can. Knowing what goes on behind the scenes I don't blame developers for making something simple, but I'm glad there are a few teams like From Software who respect the player enough to keep their games relatively difficult.
Nov 24, 2015 6:24 PM

Mar 2014
DateYutaka said:
the weste games industry

before to say it not only the west look at the revies of games like angest senki got from western hgames press stuff like its to hard and oho its unballced when it was not

You blame the western industry too much.
Nov 24, 2015 6:42 PM

Nov 2008
DateYutaka said:
the weste games industry

Japanese games have been slowly becoming easier overall since late in the PS1 era.

Nov 24, 2015 6:49 PM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
DateYutaka said:
the weste games industry

Japanese games have been slowly becoming easier overall since late in the PS1 era.

that partly true but not as fast as the west has
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 24, 2015 8:02 PM

Oct 2014
Looking at the Deus Ex chart made me feel sad. There u have it, a game which gave players the freedom to overcome objectives with the playstyle that suits them the most. But did the industry think it's something that should be emulated? No. Instead we get more Call of Duty-type of games.

And Thief? God, don't get me started on Thief. The 2014 game was tragic even though it did have some good points. It was an insult to the original games.
Nov 24, 2015 8:28 PM
Jan 2014
You know the one that say; "If you don't wanna do the time, then don't do the crime"?

If you don't wanna complain, then don't play the game
Nov 25, 2015 1:58 AM

Jan 2013
been a long time since I've seen those cherrypicking images. The wrong games have gotten simpler, but there are a lot of good games that have stayed complex. Also a lot of the transformation between complex map to linear corridor has been forced on designers by gamers wanting to buy games for their graphics. You can't make a giant complex map while having AAA graphics these days, not without a lot of bugs and optimization.
Nov 25, 2015 3:38 AM

Jul 2015
This charts is missing the JA2 interface, but other than that it reminds me why I'm not playing modern games. Turok Dinosaur Hunter vs the recent reboot, lol.

BTW, I recognized both Doom 2 maps @_@
Nov 25, 2015 3:40 AM

Aug 2015
It's not necessarily completely dumbing down. While the levels may seem more complex, they had almost nothing to them. No real thought was put into due limitations. Less time had to be put into making everything and more copy and pasting could be done. Keep in mind that in case of games like Doom, they where only a few hours long and most had less content in general. The Bioshock Infinite example is also kind bs since it choose the simplest level in the game that focused mainly on traditional combat. Also DNF and Thief 4 weren't exactly praised games and Fallout 4(deservedly) got slack for it's oversimplification. I'm not saying games haven't in general haven't been dumbed down, corridor shooters and the Final Fantasy 13's are perfect examples of this, but I don't consider level design part of this. It's more developers being more focused on things like graphics or are just lazy.
Nov 25, 2015 4:41 AM

May 2010
So what you're saying is you want them to sell you Doom 1 for $60?
Nov 25, 2015 4:57 AM

Jan 2013
Consumers like simple linear corridor shooters so devs will continue making simple linear corridor shooters.

The more hardcore games with complex level design and various routes still exist, just much harder to find among the many games that have simpler design.
Nov 25, 2015 2:48 PM

Apr 2010
It's just an industry adapting to its customers. Most people didn't really like games being super complex. This coupled with most complex things being tedious really swayed people away from games. People would rather spend 10 hours on a game with constant new shiny things, than 100 on a deeper game with the same elements. So instead of wasting countless hours of development on longer games, they focused on the other aspects. Due to that, we have gotten some pretty incredible games design wise. Unfortunately, we have also got a large amount of rushed garbage that people allow due to the market changes. I used to be pretty salty about this when I was younger, but as I grow up I realize this is probably for the best. I rarely have the time I used to for gaming, so its nice to get quality over quantity.
Nov 25, 2015 3:03 PM

Jul 2015
Sexy small-scale unknown RTS, Original War

The USA finds an alien device powered by a strange mineral, the siberite, and discovers that it can send objects and peope bak in time. They send a bunch of scientists, soldiers and engineers, all loners, back when Alaska and Siberia were still connected to dig the mineral and burry it in Alaska. But they soon have to face russians from a different timeline looking for the alaskite...

Every soldier has a name and stats, you can change their role between scientist, engineer, mechanic or soldier, keep them between missio, you craft your vehicles and chose the mode of propulsion, traction, armament, you have to collect crates sent from the future around the map, tame our ape-like ancestors to carry crates around or blow themselves in the middle of the enemy lines, send remote or CPU-controlled waves of vehicles against your opponents, etc...

Out of gas in the middle of nowhere? Your only choice is to push your beautiful tank in the tall grass, looking for wandering smilodons with sweat rolling down your neck.
DeathkoNov 25, 2015 3:07 PM
Nov 25, 2015 3:21 PM

Feb 2010
From Software is the saviour of modern AAA games.
Nov 25, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2013
it was bound to end up like this though.

devs not having to recycle the same textures over and over to fit it all into a disk or cartridge means someone will eventually raise the bar for graphics, which then means someone else will sacrifice complexity to better them and end up appealing to a wider demographic as a result, rinse and repeat until everyone is doing the same thing.

Nov 25, 2015 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
People are shitkids and can't handle a difficulty increase.
Nov 25, 2015 5:09 PM

Jul 2015
Why were you expecting a challenge from an AAA western title
Nov 25, 2015 9:59 PM

Nov 2014
They adjust to the level of intelligence of new generations.

Nov 25, 2015 10:04 PM

Sep 2009
Yeah, video games are extremely easy nowadays, except for ones designed to be impossible.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 26, 2015 4:48 AM

May 2010
MortalMelancholy said:
Yeah, video games are extremely easy nowadays, except for ones designed to be impossible.

This is because back in the day developers saw video games as an investment. Internet buzz wasn't a thing back then, and word of mouth about video games was relatively small. Games were designed to be hard, ESPECIALLY pre-snes games, as saving wasn't really a thing barring a few exceptions.

"Let's make Mega Man really difficult so one day the player will be able to beat if once they've dedicated a lot of time to learning all the details" was an acceptable design approach back then.

Even now, the hard games are only acceptably difficult BECAUSE of the industry nostalgia associated with it. There would still be those people looking for a challenge regardless, but the numbers would be quite a bit smaller.

Basically, The Impossible Quiz would have been a rather successful game in the NES era, but can now only exist as a free flash game.
Nov 26, 2015 8:01 AM

Feb 2012
Hoppy said:
DateYutaka said:
the weste games industry

Usually it's the westerners who start bitching the moment they find out they can't do things like power grind/backtrack infinitely, perma deaths, time limits, lack of savescum etc. They find management aspects to be a chore, but at the same time don't accept arcade style games like rail-shooters to be true games since no 100+ hours of "gameplay" (walking on empty map collecting trash).

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.