Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2015 3:12 AM
Nov 2015
Title says it all.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2015 3:13 AM

Jan 2011
In what regards exactly?
Nov 12, 2015 3:13 AM

Jul 2012
>more
implying it's already there?

yes we need more female empowerment anime like princess jellyfish if thats what ur asking
Nov 12, 2015 3:14 AM
Nov 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
In what regards exactly?

There exist more male main characters and every female character is only there for fanservice and gets sexualized too often.
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
>more

yes we need more female empowerment anime like princess jellyfish if thats what ur asking

there is some feminism like Balsa from Guardians of the spirit

Feb 2015
Feminism should disappear from this world all together let alone anime and rest of fiction. It doesnt solve anything just sepparates males and females even more and creates tension.
Nov 12, 2015 3:15 AM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
ReaperCreeper said:
In what regards exactly?

There exist more male main characters and every female character is only there for fanservice and gets sexualized too often.

Are you completely ignoring all of the idol boy, reverse harem, josei/shoujo that are being produced?

Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:
>more

Wow, I've never heard anyone using it's English title lol
I haven't seen that btw
Nov 12, 2015 3:16 AM

Nov 2014
I like to follow strong female leads in Anime ! There's maybe not enough overall (In my own list there's a fair lot of them though).

What do you mean exactly by "Feminism" btw ?
Nov 12, 2015 3:17 AM

May 2008
It doesn't.

Also worth keeping in mind that feminism in Japan =/= feminism in, say, the US.
Nov 12, 2015 3:18 AM
Nov 2015
Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:
>more

Wow, I've never heard anyone using it's English title lol
I haven't seen that btw[/quote]
you should watch it

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
you should watch it
Planned to, but it's hella long. (and slow)

Jul 2013
Watch Claymore then. The main character is a female, all the good guys except Raki are strong females who aren't sexualized and even the main antagonist is a female monster.
Nov 12, 2015 3:19 AM

Jan 2011
Randoll_ said:
ReaperCreeper said:
In what regards exactly?

Sounds like you're watching the wrong shows.
Nov 12, 2015 3:19 AM
Nov 2015
FeelsWeebMan said:
I like to follow strong female leads in Anime ! There's maybe not enough overall (In my own list there's a fair lot of them though).

that anime as a product and the industry isn't ruled by men and caterd towards sexistic men. You see this in Berserk with Casca. A strong woman gets reduced to being a girlfriend. I just think anime should move on and become more tolerant and modern.
Nov 12, 2015 3:20 AM
Nov 2015
Illyricus said:
Watch Claymore then. The main character is a female, all the good guys except Raki are strong females who aren't sexualized and even the main antagonist is a female monster.

Claymore lacks the balance, you can't go from one extreme to another. I want more normal shows to get rid of sexistic tropes and be more tolerant towards feminism.
Nov 12, 2015 3:23 AM

May 2008
"Sexistic" isn't even a word.
Nov 12, 2015 3:23 AM
Nov 2015
Exowave said:
Feminism should disappear from this world all together let alone anime and rest of fiction. It doesnt solve anything just sepparates males and females even more and creates tension.

How is it living in the stone age?
Nov 12, 2015 3:25 AM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
Exowave said:

(He's talking about third wave feminism btw)
Nov 12, 2015 3:25 AM

Apr 2015
People talking about main characters needing to be female more often? How about not a teenager more often? Much bigger issue right there. For the most part greatly reducing show quality.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Nov 12, 2015 3:26 AM

Jan 2008
No...it needs more strong male characters if anything.
Nov 12, 2015 3:27 AM

Nov 2014
Randoll_ said:
FeelsWeebMan said:

that anime as a product and the industry isn't ruled by men and caterd towards sexistic men. You see this in Berserk with Casca. A strong woman gets reduced to being a girlfriend. I just think anime should move on and become more tolerant and modern.

I get what you mean (Even if I don't think that Caska wasn't exactly reduced to being a "girlfriend" but rather created a deeper relation with Guts which has an important impact on the rest of the manga, but that's not the point).

Ecchi stuff attracts a lot of viewers. Anime isn't the most lucrative business out there, and (overall) they need to cater to the largest audience possible. As long as people like this kind of anime, it's gonna be produced.
I may be mistaken, but it's maybe more because of that fact that things are not moving rather than the anime industry being ruled by men.
FeelsWeebManNov 12, 2015 3:30 AM
Nov 12, 2015 3:36 AM

Jan 2008
Last thing I want is for the PC SJW to get a say in how anime is made. Keep that shit on tumblr.
Nov 12, 2015 3:36 AM

Oct 2010
There are plenty of shows with good female leads.
To name a few:
Rose of Versailles
Juuni Kokuki
Kino no Tabi
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Akatsuki no Yona
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Kemono no Souja Erin
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Chihayafuru
Skip Beat!

More wouldn't hurt, though.
Nov 12, 2015 3:38 AM

Nov 2009
Yes, anime could use more feminism. It doesn't mean they should stop producing hentai, ecchi and romance. Rather, these genres could be made better by showing that a girl's life does not revolve solely around men, and even for a harem protagonist, not all the girls are going to fall in love with him.

Other improvements could be made, for example making fantasy/sci-fi societies which are more gender-equal than modern Japan. (That's not hard, really - japan is quite bad in this regard, so most fantasy already does it.
Nov 12, 2015 3:39 AM
Nov 2015
Usagi said:
There are plenty of shows with good female leads.
To name a few:
Rose of Versailles
Juuni Kokuki
Kino no Tabi
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Akatsuki no Yona
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Kemono no Souja Erin
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Chihayafuru
Skip Beat!

More wouldn't hurt, though.

Rose of Versailles - the so empowering female lead is a man...kinda. also she is thinking about killing herself after a man leaves her life
Kino no Tabi - emotionless
Sailor Moon - Tuxedo Mask...nough said

havent seen the rest but even these anime dont get it right
Nov 12, 2015 3:41 AM

Jul 2012
"Why do we need more female protagonists? Why should we change the gender of a perfectly good character to cater to females? A man is already good enough and the default gender to use for characters. We do not need gender representation."
Nov 12, 2015 3:42 AM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
"Why do we need more female protagonists? Why should we change the gender of a perfectly good character to cater to females? A man is already good enough and the default gender to use for characters. We do not need gender representation."

whom are quoting?
Nov 12, 2015 3:42 AM

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:

whom are quoting?
The people arguing against feminism in non-Anime related threads. That's what they would say.
Nov 12, 2015 3:43 AM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:

whom are quoting?
The people arguing against feminism in non-Anime related threads. That's what they would say.

How would you reply to them?
Nov 12, 2015 3:44 AM

Jul 2012
Mmm, it's kind of a personal opinion but I like variety and I'm a girl so I'd like to be able to relate to a female protag rather than a male one.

Oh, and the same argument was used in a thread about adding more LGBT characters into Anime. Someone argued that heterosexuality is the default sexuality so there's no need to add more sexuality because it would be unnecessary.

Does the same apply here?
Nov 12, 2015 3:45 AM
Nov 2015
mayukachan said:
Mmm, it's kind of a personal opinion but I like variety and I'm a girl so I'd like to be able to relate to a female protag rather than a male one.

Oh, and the same argument was used in a thread about adding more LGBT characters into Anime. Someone argued that heterosexuality is the default sexuality so there's no need to add more sexuality because it would be unnecessary.

Is male the defualt gender?

Nov 2009
flannan said:
Yes, anime could use more feminism. It doesn't mean they should stop producing hentai, ecchi and romance. Rather, these genres could be made better by showing that a girl's life does not revolve solely around men, and even for a harem protagonist, not all the girls are going to fall in love with him.

Having victory in a harem awarded not to the girliest girl would be nice too.

mayukachan said:

When writing a manga/anime/LN/VN, think: does a character really need to be male? If not, make the character a girl. That will surely make things better.

Jul 2012
Randoll_ said:
mayukachan said:

Yes, Adam took a part of his body to create Eve.

Men are stronger and more intelligent than women.
Nov 12, 2015 3:47 AM

Jun 2015
Watch better anime
Nov 12, 2015 3:47 AM

Oct 2010
Randoll_ said:
Rose of Versailles - the so empowering female lead is a man...kinda. also she is thinking about killing herself after a man leaves her life

Implying that only females can feel heartbreak. Men are capable of feeling heartbreak and undergoing depression if they are put in the same situation. Oscar also wasn't suicidal.

Kino no Tabi - emotionless

There isn't anything wrong with being quiet.

Sailor Moon - Tuxedo Mask...nough said

Yes, a male character who throws foliage as a weapon and constantly gets kidnapped and needs to be rescued. A man existing in an anime or being a love interest doesn't make a female lead worse by default.
Nov 12, 2015 3:48 AM

Nov 2009
Randoll_ said:
Is male the default gender?

Yes, it is. And that's one of the problems modern feminism wants to tackle.
Nov 12, 2015 3:55 AM

Jun 2010
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:

Only after Lilith, who was created like him directly by god, rightfully rejected him.
Nov 12, 2015 3:56 AM

Jul 2012
flannan said:
Randoll_ said:
Is male the default gender?

We should not have a "default" anything. Heterosexuality is not "default". Male is not "default".
Nov 12, 2015 3:56 AM

Jan 2013
Feminazi? Nop
Nov 12, 2015 3:57 AM

Nov 2014
Yes.
The real question is: Do the Japanese give a shit about that?
Nov 12, 2015 3:58 AM

Jul 2013
Asturaetus said:
mayukachan said:

Only after Lilith, who was created like him directly by god, rightfully rejected him.

He was the first friendzoned man in the history.
Nov 12, 2015 4:02 AM

Feb 2015
mayukachan said:
Randoll_ said:

I dont know you tell me since i dont live in stone age i am just realistic feminism does not promote things that it is supposed to present, instead it is just bunch of horny ass middle aged women that spout random garbage on anything that portrays woman in suggestive way no matter how small/mild way it is done.

While at same time secretly wanting all dicks in this world and more male fanservice in both fiction and rl .

If you want Equality feminism is not the way to achieve it on contrary it is extremely 1 sided to begin with .
Nov 12, 2015 4:03 AM

Jul 2012
Exowave said:
mayukachan said:

I dont know you tell me since i dont live in stone age i am just realistic feminism does not promote things that it is supposed to present, instead it is just bunch of horny ass middle aged women that spout random garbage on anything that portrays woman in suggestive way while at same time secretly wanting all dicks in this world and more male fanservice in both fiction and rl .

If you want Equality feminism is not the way to achieve it on contrary it is extremely 1 sided to begin with .

List examples of the "realistic feminism" you see in your every day life?
Nov 12, 2015 4:04 AM

May 2008
Irrelative said:
Yes.

Of course they don't.
Nov 12, 2015 4:07 AM

Jul 2012
Irrelative said:
Yes.
Japanese women ask for more Junjou Romantica.

I think that answers your question.
Nov 12, 2015 4:07 AM

Nov 2009
mayukachan said:
Exowave said:

I dont know you tell me since i dont live in stone age i am just realistic feminism does not promote things that it is supposed to present, instead it is just bunch of horny ass middle aged women that spout random garbage on anything that portrays woman in suggestive way while at same time secretly wanting all dicks in this world and more male fanservice in both fiction and rl .

I think there is supposed to be a "." sign between "realistic" and "feminism". Like this:

I dont know, you tell me, since i dont live in stone age, i am just realistic. Feminism does not promote things that it is supposed to present, instead it is just bunch of horny ass middle aged women that spout random garbage on anything that portrays woman in suggestive way, while at same time secretly wanting all dicks in this world and more male fanservice in both fiction and rl.
Nov 12, 2015 4:08 AM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
flannan said:

We should not have a "default" anything. Heterosexuality is not "default". Male is not "default".
There are overwhelmingly more heterosexuals, that's why it's a default.
Nov 12, 2015 4:10 AM

Jul 2012
ReaperCreeper said:
mayukachan said:
There are overwhelmingly more heterosexuals, that's why it's a default.
You can't prove it when a lot of people have yet to "come out of the closet". Also, it's more common for people to be bisexual nowadays.
Nov 12, 2015 4:10 AM

Feb 2015
mayukachan said:

Feminism is supposed to fight for the rights of woman in society right for them to be equal with men in every way? Well they already achieved that as far i am concerned, so anything that promotes someting outside of that is bs to me and attempt to Discredit men and make them look worse which goes against origial purpose. It is 1 thing asking for essentials and other being part of woman i described above.
Nov 12, 2015 4:11 AM
Nov 2015
Exowave said:
mayukachan said:

Feminism is supposed to fight for the rights of woman in society right for them to be equal with men in every way? Well they already achieved that as far i am concerned, so anything that promotes someting outside of that is bs to me. It is 1 thing asking for essentials and other being part of woman i described above.

as long as you have that signature its far from being achieved
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 48 seconds ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
48 seconds ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 40 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

37 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 10 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.