Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 9, 2015 9:29 PM

Jan 2013
What do people really mean when they say, "Be yourself." I'm curious because I've been thinking about this lately and, when people say "be yourself", are they really just saying, "Be the personality that you want to be." In other words they are saying to be the image that you envy.

And this made me think, that the personality I carry around today, was simply based off the decisions I made when I was a kid and I saw different personalities, I picked the one I thought was the deepest to me and disregarded the other personalities as shallow and not me.

In other words, the person that I think I am is more of a mask that I chose when I was younger.

And I'm sure you can all relate to the way we put on different personas in different environments. We act much different with our best friends to classmates to parents, etc. And the way we act is reflective of the what the other person considers to be a "good mask".

This has been bothering me because I've realized that I have been acting a certain way to different groups of people, and a lot of the time with the fear of what that group of people would think of me.

And lastly, it's kind of spooky to think that we are all just basically actors playing the role we considered to be the deepest. Strange shit.
Oct 9, 2015 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
It means try to be as honest as possible about what you do and say without going into asshole category unless you are cool with that
Oct 9, 2015 9:45 PM

Jul 2012
Oct 9, 2015 9:57 PM

Jun 2015
Person: Just be yourself!
Me: Ok
Me: Hey kid wanna see some dank memes?
Oct 9, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2015
People think it's wrong to act differently with others, than to be yourself, which is totally wrong. There is a certain way you need to act with other groups of people, you aren't going to act the same you do at school with friends vs. work or family.

Act to fit in. Obviously don't act super differently to try to be with "the cool kids" or people who are opposite of your personality. That's how to survive in this world. You can yourself with your friends, but don't act the same with your boss/co workers, or your parents/siblings.
Oct 9, 2015 10:29 PM

May 2015
I always have a go at other people that get upset when somebody else doesn't like something about them, or that they're ashamed of their opinion. Just be YOU, like what you like do whatever the hell you want seriously. You'll never be happy if you worry about everything. You'll only go grey.

Basically people mean be honest, don't act how you think you should act just DO IT.
This is it!, are you ready?
Oct 9, 2015 10:30 PM

Apr 2014
INFP
Oct 9, 2015 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
i dont think its as philosophical as that just freaking do whatever you wanna do
Oct 9, 2015 10:35 PM

Jun 2015
Protaku94 said:
INFP

ISFJ

if we're going off of those kind of personality stuff
Oct 9, 2015 10:53 PM

Feb 2015
Be yourself = Be a variation of you that I like.

It's awful, but it's not difficult.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Oct 10, 2015 12:12 AM

Mar 2008
It just means being genuine and not putting up a false front to fit with others. Although if you do not fit well enough while being yourself you will be guaranteed people will try to change you.
Oct 10, 2015 12:20 AM

Jan 2009
good one OP, i do not get it either, as you said we act/behave according to the person or people we are socializing with

if you are a natural asshole and you behave like that i doubt you will be employable or even have lot of friends

thats why i wish to be a functional psychopath, low emotions to greatly adapt (or what you call putting on a mask) to what the environment or person gives when in comes to socializing especially in the workplace
Oct 10, 2015 12:30 AM

Jan 2015
"Be Yourself" is just a propaganda that meant "be with the popular, be liberal. We are the cool goys in town and we have the power to persecute the monarchs"
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 10, 2015 12:31 AM

Jan 2013
Be yourself is the trend nowdays it seems. Like fuck you you don't need to worry who i want to be
Oct 10, 2015 12:44 AM

Mar 2014
Remv_quevav said:
"Be Yourself" is just a propaganda that meant "be with the popular, be liberal. We are the cool goys in town and we have the power to persecute the monarchs"

You're on point this time.

'Be yourself' is oft utilized as a buzz-phrase to tell you that, ''You have to conform with the ideals of the majority'', because the majority believes that you are what your surroundings are. I mean, take example of France. It banned 'Niqab'. Why? Because the French people think that if you wear a 'Niqab' you aren't yourself. But, here's the contention: the French people think not the Niqabi herself.

Just one example.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 10, 2015 12:53 AM

Jan 2009
geniobastardo said:
Remv_quevav said:

'Be yourself' is oft utilized as a buzz-phrase to tell you that, ''You have to conform with the ideals of the majority'', because the majority believes that you are what your surroundings are. I mean, take example of France. It banned 'Niqab'. Why? Because the French people think that if you wear a 'Niqab' you aren't yourself. But, here's the contention: the French people think not the Niqabi herself.

Just one example.

i do not think that is how being yourself works, usually being yourself means just relax and do whatever you want without much hindrance or overthinking, so usually being yourself can mean you can be rude all you want, like fuck what everyone thinks i will do what i want kind of thing

so ye with that its easy to think that wearing a niqab(?) or whatever over clothing you wear can be seen by the public as you being shy and thus you are not being yourself
Oct 10, 2015 12:53 AM

Jul 2012
Be yourself, as in be the you that you feel natural in
Oct 10, 2015 12:54 AM

Jan 2015
"Shyness is not being yourself"
An example of what I call Propaganda
mayukachan said:
^better definition
Oct 10, 2015 12:57 AM

Jan 2009
Remv_quevav said:

sure i said that but i never said thats my personal belief, like i said being yourself is false considering we are social creatures that we tend to follow the crowd or we have this sense of belongingness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belongingness
Oct 10, 2015 1:00 AM

Jan 2015
ios said:
Remv_quevav said:

sure i said that but i never said thats my personal belief, like i said being yourself is false considering we are social creatures that we tend to follow the crowd or we have this sense of belongingness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belongingness
>implying that shyness is equal to introvertism
kek ok then Im totally wrong I will just stay back here because I am always wrong and I should bow down to the more enlightened and acceptable human beings
Oct 10, 2015 1:00 AM

Mar 2014
ios said:

i do not think that is how being yourself works, usually being yourself means just relax and do whatever you want without much hindrance or overthinking, so usually being yourself can mean you can be rude all you want, like fuck what everyone thinks i will do what i want kind of thing

so ye with that its easy to think that wearing a niqab(?) or whatever over clothing you wear can be seen by the public as you being shy and thus you are not being yourself

Unfortunately, that is how 'being yourself' works in this society. And also, the reasons why women who willingly wear Niqab are that they feel more 'secure' and be in a position to identify themselves as themselves. It is an identity. It has almost next to nothing to do with 'dressing'.
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 10, 2015 1:01 AM

Jul 2015
More or less don't act the way you believe, people want you to act/think.
Oct 10, 2015 1:03 AM

Mar 2014
Remv_quevav said:
inb4 nudists

omg yesss
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 10, 2015 1:04 AM

Jan 2009
Remv_quevav said:
ios said:

>implying that shyness is equal to introvertism
kek ok then Im totally wrong I will just stay back here because I am always wrong and I should bow down to the more enlightened and acceptable human beings

i never implied that shyness and introvert are related, but that is how society thinks of most introverts anyway, but ye its a false kind of thinking
Oct 10, 2015 1:07 AM

Jan 2015
ios said:
i never implied that shyness and introvert are related, but that is how society thinks of most introverts anyway, but ye its a false kind of thinking
yea
Equating Shyness to Introvertism is a false kind of thinking
Oct 10, 2015 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
The default state where you don't even have to think about how you act. Your responses just come more naturally.

Stay true to yourself. Don't lose your way~
Oct 10, 2015 1:11 AM

Jan 2015
Philosophy like this really doesn't matter. It just means be a person you are comfortable with being. Have a personality you want. Not having one that is molded to meet the expectations of others.
Oct 10, 2015 10:50 AM
Oct 2015
Be yourself means " I don't know so just wing it"
The one true sloth is the right sloth- Obama July 4, 1942
Oct 10, 2015 12:40 PM

May 2015
I'm not with the Be Yourself thing anymore.

What does it mean to be honest with others? I find I act differently with others, but not because I'm dishonest. It's because my relationship with every person is different than the other. Our mutual humor, interests and ways of hanging around are different.

Also, it sounds like it's against improving yourself. People tell me to be myself but I don't want to be what I am right now. I want to improve, to move ahead. Don't be yourself. Improve yourself.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 10, 2015 1:04 PM
Sep 2015
Fucked being yourself. Fake it til you make it.
Oct 10, 2015 10:23 PM

Jan 2013
scruf4ls said:
More or less don't act the way you believe, people want you to act/think.

Is this even possible? Because even in the most insignificant everyday phrases, people are trying to define you.

mayukachan said:

Well when you are being the you that you feel natural in, isn't that basically the image that appeals to you the most? In other words, you see this "you" with all these characteristics that really vibe with you, and you apply those characteristics. But those characteristics were shown to you by people who are not you.
Oct 10, 2015 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
If you're having an Identity crisis, try out whatever you can. Then see what you really like. Not "like". I mean what you'd do without anyone else watching you, without anyone else to do it with. And I really aren't talking about jacking off this time lol.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Oct 10, 2015 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
NotJustJuice said:
If you're having an Identity crisis, try out whatever you can. Then see what you really like. Not "like". I mean what you'd do without anyone else watching you, without anyone else to do it with. And I really aren't talking about jacking off this time lol.

I don't think I have an identity crisis. I know that its a mask and the idea doesn't bother me. I think it's when it bothers someone that slowly realizes their identity is a mask so they kind of freak out.
Oct 11, 2015 2:11 AM

Oct 2013
ibrahim2712 said:
NotJustJuice said:

I don't think I have an identity crisis. I know that its a mask and the idea doesn't bother me. I think it's when it bothers someone that slowly realizes their identity is a mask so they kind of freak out.

1. I didn't mean that you specifically were having an identity crisis, but I'm glad you didn't overreact. I meant anyone in general. Just general advice. Probably bad advice depending on certain perspectives, but I tried.

2. I don't believe my identity is a mask, and right now I don't have time to consider that, but in future I might give it a thought.

3. For whatever reason you posted this, good luck.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Oct 12, 2015 8:35 PM

May 2015
geniobastardo said:
Remv_quevav said:

Just one example.
Being yourself is the opposite of what you just described D: Might want to get that sorted XD
This is it!, are you ready?
Oct 12, 2015 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
YorKeY said:
Here's what I learned, just be yourself. Most people make the mistake of actually "trying" to show the world they don't care what people think of them (dying their hair crazy colors, ACTUALLY SAYING THEY DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK, that's definitely a red flag, and many more I can go over for you if you want) but ironically, in reality, them trying to show people they don't care what they think of them, just shows everyone they do care. So basically, just be yourself, the phrase means what it suggest, be YOURSELF. Don't live your life trying to always please others, but at the same time be respectful of others, it's really that simple.

Even with women, the moment you take them off the "imaginary" pedestal, and treat them like what the actually are, another human, that's when they'll just come throwing themselves at you cause they'll see how confident and comfortable you are in your own shoes, and to them, that's a lot of fun. Usually people who are confident are a lot of fun in general, and that's pretty much a fact. They're usually positive, and the life of the party, but at the same time, don't earn for the attention, they're just naturally amazing, why? Cause they can be themselves, and people can sense it.

Some people are nice to be around.
Oct 13, 2015 12:14 AM

Mar 2014
DontYouWish said:
geniobastardo said:

Just one example.
Being yourself is the opposite of what you just described D: Might want to get that sorted XD

No. It is exactly that. A Muslim woman who wants to wear Niqab wants so because she feels 'herself' in the Niqab or that she deems it her identity. If that's not 'being yourself' then please correct me.
~Oscar
[/i]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

25 by ISeeLifePeople »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
12 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
18 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.