Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2015 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
(Spoiler warning for the benefit of others. I'm specifically asking about something I haven't seen yet.)

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to offend any Killua fans. I openly admit that this opinion is based on a small portion of the series and may not reflect his character development on the whole. XD

So I'm... I think like 42 episodes in or so, not super far. I've enjoyed the series for the most part. Gon's indomitable optimism is charming. Kurapika's determination is intriguing. Leorio's backstory is heartbreaking. Even Hisoka's gradually less and less subtle homoeroticism has become funny to me. I can see why this show is so popular. But there's always been one thing that I just can't seem to enjoy:

Killua.

Now, I'm not in love with his design, assassin kid backstory, or even-torture-is-boring attitude, but I could easily look past those things if his fights weren't so fantastically boring. Every fight I've seen him in, without a single exception up to this point, has been very one-sided. Either Killua is so far beyond his opponent in skill that Killua could win with one hand, or (in the case of the old guy or Killua's brother) the opponent is so much better than Killua that Killua is unable to do anything whatsoever. The fight is decided within the first 5 seconds and the balance of power never shifts.

I know everyone has different tastes and believe me when I say my interests almost never represent the majority (it's almost uncanny how often things I like are mostly disliked by everyone else, and vice versa) but for me most of the time I want to see fights where each side has a chance of winning. Maybe not an equal chance, but a chance. Sure, seeing the guy I'm rooting for threaten the opponent at the start of the fight and then just smack that loser around for the whole fight can be satisfying on occasion, but for the most part I want to see the hero struggle with an unexpectedly strong opponent, reach down deep, and then win with a few cuts and bruises to remind him he needs to get even stronger. Killua has yet to show me that.

I want to like Killua, and I think I could if he had a few fights with the right people (and maybe a bit more motivation than "Meh, I'll just walk around with you Gon. That's my life goal.").

So my question is, what episode does Killua finally meet an opponent around his skill level? I'm looking for a fight where Killua gets some hits in and the opponent gets some hits in and both take a little bit of a beating (meaning I'm not counting stuff like Killua getting electrocuted and shrugging it off like a minor annoyance.......). I don't need details of the fight cause I'll probably watch it, but I would like to know the episode number if you please (like I said I'm on about 42, so if you tell me he doesn't meet such an opponent until episode 97 or something I'll probably do my own little "timeskip", lol).
Jul 27, 2015 6:38 PM

Jul 2013
there is no Freezer vs Goku like fight for Killua but he does have some fights the problem is that Killua was already ridiculously strong and would never put himself into a situation like that regardless

Killua's storyline was more about his friendship with Gon

if you skip anything you will be completely lost for pretty much any future events HxH doesnt really have any fan-service fights you cant just watch out of context and enjoy it fully
StefanHereJul 27, 2015 6:44 PM
Jul 27, 2015 7:08 PM

Jun 2013
Yes you don't watch watch enough.
Eisode 101 vs chimera ant.
Episode 90 vs Shoot.
episode 94 vs ant.
to name a few.
ImpalaJul 27, 2015 7:12 PM
Jul 27, 2015 7:23 PM

Jan 2014
Not really. but the same applies for most of the other fights as well. The fights tend to be pretty one-sided with little variety, so it can get pretty dull at times.

I don't think Killua ever has a fight to that degree (there's no situation where you ever feel it could go both ways), but if you don't mind a spoiler that really doesn't spoil the fight, only describes a few seconds of it:

So really, Killua doesn't have any fights like that, but a lot of the remaining fights in the series are like that unfortunately.

None of episode 101, 94 or 90 offer anything like it. 90 is another one-sided fight against Killua, and a lot of it is not shown. 94 is also one-sided for the most part but ends anticlimactically and episode 101 is similar to 94.

RedRoseFringJul 27, 2015 7:31 PM
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 27, 2015 7:29 PM

Sep 2014
Yeah just keep watching and you'll see fights where he isn't OP
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Jul 27, 2015 7:44 PM

Apr 2015
Does he do that afterimage walk thing again? It didn't win the fight but I gotta admit that's the one thing Killua's done that really made me say "that was pretty cool, I'd like to see more of that."
Jul 27, 2015 7:45 PM

Jun 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Not really. but the same applies for most of the other fights as well. The fights tend to be pretty one-sided with little variety, so it can get pretty dull at times.

I don't think Killua ever has a fight to that degree (there's no situation where you ever feel it could go both ways), but if you don't mind a spoiler that really doesn't spoil the fight, only describes a few seconds of it:

So really, Killua doesn't have any fights like that, but a lot of the remaining fights in the series are like that unfortunately.

None of episode 101, 94 or 90 offer anything like it. 90 is another one-sided fight against Killua, and a lot of it is not shown. 94 is also one-sided for the most part but ends anticlimactically and episode 101 is similar to 94.

And? I simply pointed out which episodes fit the OP's question. Killua gets hits. He faces strong enemy. He struggles. And considering his nature as an assassin, exchanging punches is just silly. Only go for the kill and retreat if he feels like he's not going to win.
Jul 27, 2015 7:56 PM
Jun 2015
Killua realizes there are others way stronger than him in chimera ant arc. He definitely struggles with fights in that arc and even backs off bc he knows he's not strong enough yet. But there are some good fights where he really has to work extra hard in that arc.
magicalprincessJul 27, 2015 7:59 PM
Jul 27, 2015 8:03 PM

Mar 2015
I think that's one of the great things about HxH - there are a lot of fights but they aren't formulaic where both sides are equal. You can kind of figure out who's going to win in a given situation. It makes the universe seem a lot more real. If you want the rules of the universe to bend to make fights close, then there's a lot of other shows for that.

In short, I like that so many fights are one-sided.
Jul 27, 2015 11:57 PM

Oct 2013
AttackOnTetris said:
I think that's one of the great things about HxH - there are a lot of fights but they aren't formulaic where both sides are equal. You can kind of figure out who's going to win in a given situation. It makes the universe seem a lot more real. If you want the rules of the universe to bend to make fights close, then there's a lot of other shows for that.

In short, I like that so many fights are one-sided.

There are one sided fights but there also aren't. For example

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 28, 2015 1:23 AM

Jun 2014
Killua's fights are pretty one sided especially in the first two thirds of the show. There are three reasons for that:
-Realism (you don't get to fall on individuals of exactly same skill or strength as you on a regular basis)
-The nature of killiua's techniques and fighting style (he's an assassin afterall)
-The most direct reason is a spoiler you'll learn in episode 94.

As for the fights you're asking for, well, there are few fights in general in HxH and even fewer of those, and they are usually short but like someone else said, 90, 94 and 101 should fit the bill, especially 90. But please, don't skip!
Jul 28, 2015 1:24 AM

Jun 2015
He almost dies quite a few times. Keep watching and you'll see the REAL OP characters!
Read Toriko!
Jul 28, 2015 11:12 AM
Jun 2015
Agafin said:

Agafin said:
Killua's fights are pretty one sided especially in the first two thirds of the show. There are three reasons for that:
-Realism (you don't get to fall on individuals of exactly same skill or strength as you on a regular basis)
-The nature of killiua's techniques and fighting style (he's an assassin afterall)

As for the fights you're asking for, well, there are few fights in general in HxH and even fewer of those, and they are usually short but like someone else said, 90, 94 and 101 should fit the bill, especially 90. But please, don't skip!

I'm watching episode 90 later tonight. And I'm interested to see what we find out in episode 94.

Personally though, I like it better when killua takes down his opponents easily. I like that about him...that he's a kid but hes super bad a** and can take out super strong adults. I think it's especially cool when he does it so calmly with almost no effort.
Jul 28, 2015 11:20 AM

Dec 2012
Nope and his whole internal struggle of fearing he would let Gon die and his brother's manipulation is resolved in the lamest way possible.

If you don't like Killua already then I doubt any of his future fights will win you over.
Jul 28, 2015 12:27 PM

Jan 2014
Impala said:
RedRoseFring said:

And? I simply pointed out which episodes fit the OP's question. Killua gets hits. He faces strong enemy. He struggles. And considering his nature as an assassin, exchanging punches is just silly. Only go for the kill and retreat if he feels like he's not going to win.

I was pointing out that they don't really fit the OP's description at all. There is no exchange in 2 of them, it's just one side beating on the other until the very end with a single hit victory.

You're right that it does fit the assassin nature, but granted that wouldn't make it any more interesting for OP.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 30, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Impala said:

I was pointing out that they don't really fit the OP's description at all. There is no exchange in 2 of them, it's just one side beating on the other until the very end with a single hit victory.

You're right that it does fit the assassin nature, but granted that wouldn't make it any more interesting for OP.

Yea my bad you're right. Just tried to point out to OP that that's how Killua fights.

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 24, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.