Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Let's make a List of every original idea Hunter x Hunter added to the storytelling

New
Jul 26, 2015 4:53 AM

Mar 2012
This is a list compilation for all ideas added by HXH to the industry.

Rules: Ideas have to be completely new, and not a duo/combo of two old ideas together.
If the idea passes, it will be added to the thread. And anyone can argue against the idea, if they can prove another series did it before, the idea will be removed.

I'll start,

1. Nen, in its broadest form, I'll get to more detailed points later- the author made the first real "system", possibly the last, where elements work together and are related to one another. An all-inclusive system.

2. Chimera Ants, creatures that can actually be reborn into another form entirely. I find this genius because 1- it is a perfect explanation for "reincarnation", this guy made revival seem perfectly logical for god's sake. 2- a perfect excuse for having different-looking non-human creatures. If characters simly exist as cat-eared like in Final Fantasy might be ridiculous but in Hunter X Hunter is more believable.

3. Phaegogenesis. A form of reproduction, very well implemented.
4. Hunter Exam Phase: Reverse-elimination stage, the idea was new. Winner gets KO'd and only one loser remains

5. Killua's electricity, no one has made a power of electricity as Togashi did, with transmutation, it made it feel like something that could done.

Any others you can add?
MikasaJul 26, 2015 4:45 PM
End Zionazism
Jul 26, 2015 8:15 AM

Dec 2012
1. Two kids being the protaongist (Gon) and deturagonist (Killua) of an adventure story in Shounen Jump
2. Not one but two training arcs (Greed Island, Phantom arena) almost unheard of in Shounen Jump
3. Not one but two tournaments, almost unheard of in shounen Jump.
3. A power up that makes the protagonist able to kill the enemy, he wouldn't have a shot against ever.
4. An arc of insect monsters that threaten humanity
5. The theme of how evil humans can be, and how they can be more evil than any creature
6. A cell king insect that invades a palace and makes it his own. Who wants to be the best at everything and rule humanity
7. Said king insect being turned good by mr.satan a human.
8.Powers that manifests into stands physical shape of creatures
9. Protagonist that spares the life of the villain who tried to kill him (Bomber)

I don't know there are too many original ideas too count, but that's from the top of my head.
Jul 26, 2015 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
tsudecimo said:
1. Two kids being the protaongist (Gon) and deturagonist (Killua) of an adventure story in Shounen Jump
2. Not one but two training arcs (Greed Island, Phantom arena) almost unheard of in Shounen Jump
3. Not one but two tournaments, almost unheard of in shounen Jump.
3. A power up that makes the protagonist able to kill the enemy, he wouldn't have a shot against ever.
4. An arc of insect monsters that threaten humanity
5. The theme of how evil humans can be, and how they can be more evil than any creature
6. A cell king insect that invades a palace and makes it his own. Who wants to be the best at everything and rule humanity
7. Said king insect being turned good by mr.satan a human.
8.Powers that manifests into stands physical shape of creatures
9. Protagonist that spares the life of the villain who tried to kill him (Bomber)

I don't know there are too many original ideas too count, but that's from the top of my head.

Ahh.......... I see what you did there!
Read Toriko!
Jul 26, 2015 1:55 PM

Jun 2014
Since I've not even seen 5% of every anime ever made, let alone manga, I can't really say with confidence that X thing hasn't been done before. But I do have a few things in mind that I've hardly ever seen before.
1. A lot of things about Meruem really. The fact that he died to radiation poisoning. Or that he was humbled through a piece of board game, rather than through a fight or being talked by the protagonist or some other important character.

2. The ants life cycle and feeding process. Already covered.

3. The mysterious way in which Gon's character has been handled compared to other protagonists. Like the fact that pretty much every important character in the show has had more monologues than him. Or the fact that he rarely ever fights the main villain of an arc. Or how his powerup was presented as a proof of his weakness and inability to protect his friends rather an expression of power and how it was painted negatively rather than glorified.

4. Nen isn't original since it's inspired from ki or some other Japanese mythology stuff. But the personality and water divination tests are truly something totally out of the ordinary for power systems as far as I'm aware of. I've only seen a similar thing in Naruto (the paper test thing) but that came way after HxH introduced those, like 6 or 7 years later and was probably even inspired by them.

5. An entire election arc in an action series. Never seen that before.

That's it for now but there are probably a few other things I'm missing
Jul 26, 2015 3:18 PM

Mar 2012
WyNdZ said:
Hmmm I'm not sure if these are original or not but oh well

1) Villains dying from radiation poisoning
2) Villains faking their deaths
3) A famous family of assassins
4) A once a year huge auction run by the mafia
5) Pedophile clown as the MC's rival
6) Bad guy wins the election only to resign as soon as he wins

These are specific events not ideas, even if unique.
A family of assassin's is also not new in itself, but the execution was, and that's not what we're mainly going for.

Same with Hanzo vs Gon, while it completelt breaks the cliche of power of will and shonen-protag-wanking, it still is not a new "cocept" but a new "take"

Let me add another:

4. Hunter Exam Phase: Reverse-elimination stage, the idea was new. Winner gets KO'd and only one loser remains

5. Killua's electricity, no one has made a power of electricity as Togashi did, with transmutation, it made it feel like something that could done.
End Zionazism
Jul 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
Don't forget all-powerful wish granting device that is actually a little boy that thinks he's a girl.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 26, 2015 7:38 PM

Jan 2011
Bullshit
The most unique idea ever taken hiatus for 1 year every 10 chapters
Jul 28, 2015 2:31 PM

Jun 2015
How the MC is actually pretty weak and almost dies near the end and needs pretty rare magic that someone else gets for him to make it
Jul 28, 2015 2:35 PM

Mar 2015
KuroudoAkabane said:
How the MC is actually pretty weak and almost dies near the end and needs pretty rare magic that someone else gets for him to make it

The "power of friendship" saves both Gon and Killua through more clever means than inter-battle friendship power-ups. I particularly love the way that Killua would be dead had he not spared Ikalgo's life. And pretty much everyone would be dead had it not been for Meleoron.
Jul 28, 2015 2:59 PM

Jul 2015
The fact that many people die while taking a troll exam which is ultimately pointless as they are unable to become hunters unless they can use nen, regardless of if they pass the exam or not. Pure genious.
Jul 29, 2015 3:05 AM

Mar 2012
KuroudoAkabane said:

Yeah sure but again this is not a concept. It's extremely unique but cannot make the list.
End Zionazism

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
20 seconds ago

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.