Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 17, 2015 7:36 PM
Jun 2015
After the first half, I assumed it would pick up and I'd get to see some amazing fight scenes. I was looking forward to Lancer and Saber finishing properly, Rider actually doing something exciting, and a better showdown between Saber and Lancelot. Also, Saber vs Gildamesh was something I was REALLY hyped for in the last few episodes.

Seriously, most of the deaths were rushed and unsatisfying. The animation and concept is so good too..
Jul 17, 2015 8:20 PM

Mar 2013
If you thought Lancer's death didn't live up to expectations, this show isn't for you.

Really, it can only loosely be considered an action series; the emphasis was always obviously elsewhere.
Jul 17, 2015 9:20 PM

Sep 2014
um the sort of action here may not have been the sort of action for you man...i absolutely loved rider vs gil. i liked saber vs berserker but it felt a bit rushed. when it comes to Fate let alone any TYPE-Moon series i just dont think anyone should be expecting an "ichigo vs ulquiorra" type fight. it's just simply not that kind of series.
Nov 16, 2015 2:50 PM
Jun 2015
After watching the new Stay/Night i realized how much of a great job this anime did leading into it tbh.
Nov 16, 2015 2:57 PM

Dec 2013
TsundereHeart said:
Okay.
Nov 16, 2015 3:02 PM

Mar 2013
BallerStatus said:
great job this anime did leading into it

looks like somebody just raised the Fai signal
Nov 20, 2015 9:37 PM

Mar 2014
go home you're drunk
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Nov 22, 2015 11:40 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah idk you probably had your expectations too high. The fights were alright in this series even though the majority of it was focused elsewhere. UBW has better fight scenes I guess but it's pretty boring and subpar compared to zero
Nov 23, 2015 1:56 AM

Jul 2007
Paramvir said:
UBW has better fight scenes I guess but it's pretty boring and subpar compared to zero

Yeah no.
UBW has explosions not fight scenes. They are nowhere near Zero's choreography and intensity. UBW "fight scenes" are overproduced crap with no choreography and all budget wasted on it being pretty instead of making sense or looking well made. Generic trashy light novel figths are capable of making more sense and having more atmosphere than that kitsch.

Fight Scenes are pretty much the highpoint of Zero. They are tactical, thrilling and the top-notch choreography makes every movement meaningful and sensible. Pretty much the only meh fight in Zero was Kerry vs Kirei.
Nov 23, 2015 2:19 AM

Mar 2014
CookingPriest said:

Fight Scenes are pretty much the highpoint of Zero. They are tactical, thrilling and the top-notch choreography makes every movement meaningful and sensible. Pretty much the only meh fight inZero was Kerry vs Kirei.
Ikr. I'll never understand why it's wanked to high heaven.
Nov 23, 2015 6:42 AM

Jul 2007
ziggy_Z said:
CookingPriest said:

Fight Scenes are pretty much the highpoint of Zero. They are tactical, thrilling and the top-notch choreography makes every movement meaningful and sensible. Pretty much the only meh fight inZero was Kerry vs Kirei.

Because its two edgy males fighting in a batcave?

The problem is that even the fight between normals like them would be possible to be made good, but it felt like the animators got lazy at that fight.

Shaky cam, overdone sfx and stiff character movements? What is this? UBW?

Well thats unfair because even that fight was miles above ubw fights but it just pales in comparison to rest of fights in Zero. The only really creative part of it was the camera movement in this scene:

But otherwise it is still weakest fight when compared to other Zero fights
AhenshihaelNov 23, 2015 6:46 AM
Apr 27, 2016 4:17 AM

Apr 2016
Fai said:
ziggy_Z said:

The problem is that even the fight between normals like them would be possible to be made good, but it felt like the animators got lazy at that fight.

Well thats unfair because even that fight was miles above ubw fights but it just pales in comparison to rest of fights in Zero. The only really creative part of it was the camera movement in this scene:

Personally, while I rather enjoyed the flashy effects of UBW, and to be honest a lot of those fights were pretty amazing in my book (heck some of the latter fights were incredible, especially Shirou v Gilgamesh), I have to agree that the Zero fights were impressive as well, focusing on skills, environment manipulation, and tactics, even if Gilgamesh still had that F-you I win sword. Albeit, the final fight was pretty cool in my opinion. Honestly, while the fight choreography isn't as high as some of its previous fights, the tension ALONE more than makes up for that, especially that mind screw finish with the tampered grail's contents crashing into the two combatants below. Albeit, it'll never rival episode 15' s Excalibur scene, and nothing in UBW did either. I personally doubt Heaven's feel with rival, let alone dwarf that either, but from what I heard, it's the best Fate/ , barring Zero of course. Besides, for the UBW fights, at least it's not Blazblue Alter Memory's fights. Keep in mind that series wasn't even a year old when UBW came out, and barely over 1 when UBW 2nd season came out.
CodeBlazeFateApr 27, 2016 4:24 AM
Apr 27, 2016 12:23 PM

Sep 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
Fai said:

Personally, while I rather enjoyed the flashy effects of UBW, and to be honest a lot of those fights were pretty amazing in my book (heck some of the latter fights were incredible, especially Shirou v Gilgamesh), I have to agree that the Zero fights were impressive as well, focusing on skills, environment manipulation, and tactics, even if Gilgamesh still had that F-you I win sword. Albeit, the final fight was pretty cool in my opinion. Honestly, while the fight choreography isn't as high as some of its previous fights, the tension ALONE more than makes up for that, especially that mind screw finish with the tampered grail's contents crashing into the two combatants below. Albeit, it'll never rival episode 15' s Excalibur scene, and nothing in UBW did either. I personally doubt Heaven's feel with rival, let alone dwarf that either, but from what I heard, it's the best Fate/ , barring Zero of course. Besides, for the UBW fights, at least it's not Blazblue Alter Memory's fights. Keep in mind that series wasn't even a year old when UBW came out, and barely over 1 when UBW 2nd season came out.
a blazblue anime? didnt know one even came out...i'm somewhat afraid to even look.....
Apr 27, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
Maloghurst said:
a blazblue anime? didnt know one even came out...i'm somewhat afraid to even look.....

It's a pretty poor adaptation of the games. The characters, especially Ragna, are butchered, the pacing is all over the place, the fight choreography is bad, heck, the CG swords in the first two episodes are jarring and awful, there are animation inconsistencies, and even lip synching problems in the sub. I only enjoyed the soundtrack. The dub, less so. The dub is not as good as in the games. Also, due to the sheer amount of things they cut out, they made 2 pseudo-filler episodes. Like I said it's not a good adaptation. Not is it a good action show. If you want great choreography, watch Fate/Zero. If you want a show where it makes since for the blade attacks to explode things, watch UBW. At least those have good characters, and consistent animation despite being twice as long as Blazblue Alter Memory. Also, it's the worst for newcomers due both to the amount of changes made, and how confusing it is pacing wise.
CodeBlazeFateApr 27, 2016 12:46 PM
Apr 28, 2016 5:38 AM

Mar 2015
Fai said:
Paramvir said:
UBW has better fight scenes I guess but it's pretty boring and subpar compared to zero

Yeah no.
UBW has explosions not fight scenes. They are nowhere near Zero's choreography and intensity. UBW "fight scenes" are overproduced crap with no choreography and all budget wasted on it being pretty instead of making sense or looking well made. Generic trashy light novel figths are capable of making more sense and having more atmosphere than that kitsch.

Fight Scenes are pretty much the highpoint of Zero. They are tactical, thrilling and the top-notch choreography makes every movement meaningful and sensible. Pretty much the only meh fight in Zero was Kerry vs Kirei.

Some of the Zero fights aren't actually how servant fights actually are tbh (Saber vs Lancer for example)
Apr 28, 2016 6:19 AM

Jul 2007
MightyM16 said:
Fai said:

Yeah no.

Some of the Zero fights aren't actually how servant fights actually are tbh (Saber vs Lancer for example)

And none of UBW fights are how "servants actually are" either. Or characters for that matter.

I'll take some, and well produced some, over literally DBZ spam.
Jul 18, 2016 3:58 AM

Aug 2014
I will say this about Zero: it could have used a little more Shounen and a little less Seinen. It became too dialogue heavy for its own good.

Sometimes when they were having conversations, it felt like a very successful person telling everyone about his accomplishments to show-off how successful he is in front of everyone (and we all know how annoying that is).

As for the fight scenes, I only liked when Berserker and Archer had those two fights, and of course, Kerry vs. Kirei.

As for UBW, the only fights that I considered great were Archer vs Lancer, and Archer/Saber/Rin/Shirou vs short girl / Berserker
Jul 20, 2016 12:18 PM

Sep 2013
Fai said:
MightyM16 said:

And none of UBW fights are how "servants actually are" either. Or characters for that matter.

I'll take some, and well produced some, over literally DBZ spam.

Yes they are.

First off, you're talking about a VN as a source material - where choreography was never gonna be central to the action.

UBW relied on spectacle in its fight scenes - which ironically make it closer to the spirit of the VN. You were meant to marvel at the power displayed by the servants because that was how Shirou reacted and he was the one witnessing all this.

Criticizing UBW for too much spectacle is the just silly - as is using association fallacy by making a random comparison to DBZ
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
12 hours ago

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.