Forum Settings
Forums

Cell phones/Tablets/Computers at the dinner table

New
Do you think this behavior has an effect on relationships
Jul 10, 2015 11:37 AM

Jul 2012
When the kids get home from school and the parents get off of work instead of talking about their day they just sit and eat while texting at the table. Even when families go out to eat you will see all family members not even look at each other even the elderly are stuck on their cell phones.

By the time everyone gets home they have already talked about everything via text. So what exactly are you supposed to talk about when you get home if you texted about it already all day long?( This might apply to GF/BFs too)

A lot of older people think dinner time is the best time of day to socialize.
I know some families never even ate dinner with each other from the start, but I am just talking about families that still do/did.
MiraniaJul 10, 2015 11:41 AM
Jul 10, 2015 11:40 AM

Mar 2014
That's why everyone in my house hates smartphones and especially texting except for maybe my sister. But on the table, no one dares pick up his/her smartphone or they'll get the killer stares from the rest of us.

It definitely has an affect on family relationships. Deep stuff and I'm feeling to explain this. But one thing's for sure, 'escapism' should just be a 'distraction' and not something you need to excessively rely on.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 10, 2015 11:40 AM

Jun 2011
Never really remember eating at the dinner table, ate in my room as soon as I had a tv, guessing in living room b4 that

Though I guess you miss out on all that thrilling convo

Dad:how was school
kid:fine
Dad:learn anything today
kid:not really
Dad: why do I even send you to school?
Kid:THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING!
Jul 10, 2015 11:41 AM

Jun 2014
I find it shocking that people would use cell phones at the dinner table. Nobody does this in my house. My Grandfather is the only person in my family that owns a cell phone, and he only uses it when he's outside.

Jul 10, 2015 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
My family eats separate anyway. We find each other insufferable when it comes to actual conversation.

Jul 2012
Killaclown said:
Never really remember eating at the dinner table, ate in my room as soon as I had a tv, guessing in living room b4 that

Even so do you think texting all your friends all the time gives you less to talk about when you see them in person?

PeripheralVision said:
My family eats separate anyway. We find each other insufferable when it comes to actual conversation.

What about going out to eat does your family or does it bug you when you see other families in restaurants doing this?

Oct 2012
My family only does that when we eat out, not really at home.

It's normal nowadays, given just how commonplace communication has become. I don't really mind if everyone else is texting while eating, myself.
Jul 10, 2015 11:44 AM

Jun 2015
I don't see how its a problem if they already communicated via texting or whatever. The point is they communicated, and I'd say thats enough. Though I wouldn't really know since my family does talk at dinner, but I can assume, at least.
Jul 10, 2015 11:45 AM

Feb 2015
Well, I only visit my family on weekends now, but we never use our phones/tablets at the dinner table unless we need to look up something (generally something related to the conversation we're having).
Jul 10, 2015 11:45 AM

Aug 2014
No one uses phones or anything else at my home at the table. We all just eat at the table normally, no problems with communication and shit and then we do whatever we fucking want after that.
Jul 10, 2015 11:46 AM

Jun 2011
Coolspot said:
Killaclown said:

Even so do you think texting all your friends all the time gives you less to talk about when you see them in person?
have you met teenage girls? Obviously it does not lol
Jul 10, 2015 11:46 AM

Mar 2013
Coolspot said:
Killaclown said:

PeripheralVision said:

What about going out to eat does your family or does it bug you when you see other families in restaurants doing this?

We really don't own those fancy self phones nowadays, which makes it all the more disconcerting when we do go out because of the quite but tepid conversation.
Jul 10, 2015 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
I eat separately. But if I had people around me with that while I eat I'd be offended. I would then break their stupid cell phone or whatever
Jul 10, 2015 11:50 AM

Sep 2014
My family has a good relationship with each other. But we eat where we want and what we want :)

No Dinner tables D: And I'm not even taking big "serious meals" very often.
Jul 10, 2015 11:51 AM
Sep 2014
I thought the dinner table was for eating dinner
Jul 10, 2015 11:52 AM

Jun 2011
NorthBayAnime said:
these days they are unnecessary
Jul 10, 2015 11:52 AM

Aug 2014
it does 100%
Jul 10, 2015 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
They must not be very hungry if they're sitting there on their phones.

Jul 10, 2015 11:58 AM

Jun 2015
Dojourei said:
They must not be very hungry if they're sitting there on their phones.

#rekt
Jul 10, 2015 11:59 AM
Sep 2014
Killaclown said:
NorthBayAnime said:
these days they are unnecessary
Seems like bad manners
Jul 10, 2015 12:01 PM

Dec 2010
I find it to be the most annoying fucking thing when I'm out with a friend and she's constantly on instagram. I don't use my phone when I'm around people for that reason, shit gets on my NERVES.

Jul 10, 2015 12:37 PM

May 2015
We never eat on dinner table these days
My father eats while watching tv,i'll take it to my room and my brother,well,he eats everywhere he wishes.
Only my mother eats on it.
Jul 10, 2015 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
Throw out your cellphone. It's work of satan.
Jul 10, 2015 2:22 PM

Jun 2015
I feel like it would be rude. Never experienced that though. :/

Jul 10, 2015 10:44 PM

May 2012
My family don't eat together, if we do then it will be completely coincidental. My mom, brother and I usually have phone on hand whenever we're at the dinner table
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Jul 10, 2015 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
It's rude, I have a habit of hiding my phone now when I have dinner with my family
Jul 10, 2015 11:07 PM
May 2015
Sometimes I see the people whose lives are led not by them but by the smartphones they have. It looks like not they are using the smartphones but the smartphones are using them.......
Jul 10, 2015 11:10 PM

Nov 2014
I use my phone only for calling and checking my e mail. I usually watch a movie or a tv show when I eat. I have never texted while eating and I think it would be rude especially if the people you are having food with want to interact with you.
Jul 10, 2015 11:13 PM

Jul 2010
i had a friend over and we ate dinner in the living room while watching rape hentai on max volume once LOL, it deepen our relationship
Jul 10, 2015 11:14 PM

Sep 2013
Being the only person who eats at the familial table I sometimes bring my laptop to watch youtube, but generally I try to avoid this.

Sadly, I eat most of my meals standing in the kitchen. It's a bit off-putting to see everyone else huddled around the hypnotic glow of the TV. So, I just try to get eating done as quick as possible. Holidays are hype, though. No TV allowed during meals.
My watch list for anime: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Stonedtanuki

"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream." - Wallace Stevens
Jul 10, 2015 11:15 PM

Jan 2015
Why do you need to interact with your family more than necessary? You live with them, that's enough.

My family doesn't even eat together anyway, we're not some archaic family stuck in the 20th century.
Jul 10, 2015 11:16 PM

Jun 2015
freduy5 said:
i had a friend over and we ate dinner in the living room while watching rape hentai on max volume once LOL, it deepen our relationship

well then..

Jul 11, 2015 10:50 AM

Mar 2015
Well I always eat watching tv but I try not to use my cellphone when I'm with friends.
Jul 11, 2015 11:35 AM

May 2015
I tend to eat alone. I love eating while reading.

I don't tend to check my phone while I'm eating out, unless it's to show somebody something on the internet. People are around me are far more exciting than a text message.

I have a friend who tends to go away into his phone when we meet up. Then again, a lot of my friends are antisocial creeps.

Watching TV with friends is the worst.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 11, 2015 5:26 PM

Feb 2008
I do bring my shit to the table because everything is boring and I'd rather keep myself entertained while I endure those moments. I would bring a book, or slip through IG on my phone, or read manga on my iPad, or if I'm watching something I'd bring my laptop to the table (with my headphones attached). However if I'm eating out with friends then I'm not doing any of those things because I'm having fun with the people with me.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

More topics from this board

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
57 seconds ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

27 by hypergoob »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
30 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
35 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.