Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2008 1:25 PM

Nov 2007
How different would the original Death Note series be with the Death Eraser? Why would Ryuk choose to give it to Taro Kagami but not Yagami Raito (Light)?
Feb 26, 2008 3:08 PM

Sep 2007
Well Light didn't accidentally kill anyone like Taro..
May 6, 2008 9:08 PM

Jan 2008
I wonder if he [Light] would have actually used the eraser?
Oh, and if the eraser was there, then L would have lived. . .And many others for that matter. >.>
Mar 20, 2009 6:33 PM

Jul 2008
My biggest question is if Light would have revived anyone. I'm sure he would have given it a second thought.
Apr 10, 2009 2:24 AM

Jan 2009
I think he would- to show that he really was a god- Revive all the guys innocent guys Misa-Misa killed... <_<
Apr 19, 2009 2:46 PM

Mar 2009
I don't think Kira (Light) would even use the Death Eraser. It would draw more suscpicion to him if people started to die and come back from the grave.
"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the one.
Born to bear and read to all
The details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen,
Shit the bed again,
Typical."

Rosetta Stoned
May 12, 2009 11:51 AM

Aug 2008
I doubt that Light would use it. If so, he would've given it a lot of thought. And anyway, the eraser would have changed the entire series. At least if someone else than Light got hold of it.
Jun 17, 2009 12:51 PM
Jun 2007
yeah the eraser would add a whole new dimension to the series !
im pretty sure light could have come up with some very creative use of the eraser in the battle with L !
Sep 12, 2009 4:47 PM

Jun 2009
I think he might of used it but only under really extreme or well thought out circumstances. I think that he maybe would of used it on his Sister when she got kidnapped by Mello. Killed her with the death note, stormed the hideout, rescued the body then revive.
Sep 12, 2009 4:53 PM
Mar 2009
The reason Ryuk didn't give it to him is that it was erased (lol) from actually having existed. This chapter is a one shot that was made long before having existed, to see if it would be liked by the fans.

After the one shot got made into a series, it wasn't needed, it's like this for many one shots that get made into series, they change them to make the series last. The same thing happened with the Bleach one shot (which, if you've read it, was uber-different).

Apr 3, 2010 11:26 PM

Dec 2009
what i'm wondering is if he used in on someone who burned to death like takeda how could they come back
Love & Piece

Jul 5, 2010 12:28 PM

Dec 2009
BloodReign71 said:
what i'm wondering is if he used in on someone who burned to death like takeda how could they come back
Didn't they say that you can't use it on a burnt person?
Jul 25, 2010 3:47 PM

Aug 2007
Zahlzeit said:
BloodReign71 said:
Didn't they say that you can't use it on a burnt person?

Yeah, Ryuk clearly stated that if you're cremated, you're not coming back with the Death Eraser.
Aug 22, 2011 1:29 PM
Oct 2010
Well, here's my little IMHO:
1) the eraser is not used in Death Note series, as it ruins the main idea that all people die someday. Death just seems to be not that threatening if the people killed may be revived. So the atmosphere of something deathly inevitable (and thus dangerous, serious and philosophical) turns into silly mahou-shonen (and here comes magic, dies-revives!)
2) if we leave the eraser all the same, the question is, which side posesses it.
If it is Light, he is certain to try fooling L by killing one of his comrades and reviving them after some time has passed. Giving the order to erase his name and "dying" himself is also possible. Say hello to Romeo&Juliet, but another tricky point for L.
If it is L (and/or his comrades) and he is "the god of life", there's a typical "Hollywood style" division into "good" and "evil". The investigation and the story itself is much simplier, as L has to be aware of the note and its effects in order to use the eraser (so he'll have clues from the very beginning). L may try to get the note and revive somebody (f.e. Naomi Misora) until Light discovers that the bodies have to be burnt. Then he'll continue to kill, but with fire only. After that the eraser is just useless.
L may also try to get another note and write the name of the person Light intends to kill slightly BEFORE Light does. Thus, Light will be sure he has killed the person, but his writing won't take effect as the person is already dead. After that, L will have the chance to revive the person and check Light's reaction xDDD
3) In any case, the eraser may be used only if you get the note, while the note is useful separately.
Aug 28, 2011 5:13 AM

Nov 2010
As to answer all your questions, actually this chapter was called the "pilot chapter", it's not actually part of the real plot
And about the eraser reviving L and others, if you remember, you can't revive someone whose body is already destroyed(ie. rotten)
- oh and i remember that once a name is written down it can't be physically erased by any eraser except the death eraser, so writing in pencil won't do any good

BTW... i of the things i think Light would have done to take the eraser to his advantage would be to confuse L, something like killing a lot of people and then reviving them all at once, certainly L wouldn't suspect a human to be behind this, because the only reason L and the police suspected that a human was behind this was because of the size of the crime( like 5 people dying simultaneously of similar reasons)
and if you remember they didn't immediately suspect him of using supernatural ways of killing(that's why L put up the broadcast)
-if 500 people died simultaneously for some reason and miraculously revived, i don't think people could easily come to the conclusion that a human was behind it

-Another would be hiding the existence of the eraser and using it to his advantage through resurrection, once he is caught, he asks someone to kill him, then the people bury him, then asks that person again to revive him, that way kira is reborn, and people think that someone other than Light has another notebook

- He could also be able to manipulate someone without actually killing him( very similar to Lelouch's geass, except Light could do it countless of times)
ie. Controlling L for 23 days, then L dies, he revives him, then controls him again, that's total control FTW....
he could also make people like his father do what he wants without killing them

As you can see it's total ownage if Light got a hold of the eraser, so it's better without it, it'd be a boring story if he just pwns all in his path

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation

Ayako_Rose - Apr 22, 2022

1 by Seinentard »»
Sep 21, 2022 5:43 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 0 Chapter 1 Discussion

RenaPsychoKiller - Jan 7, 2010

11 by Early_Morning »»
Sep 13, 2022 5:28 PM

Poll: » Death Note 13: How to Read - Shinsou Chapter 2 Discussion

bloodstored - Jul 29, 2022

0 by bloodstored »»
Jul 29, 2022 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.