Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think Kamina is a useless Ass?
May 25, 2015 6:33 AM
Mar 2012
I often talk to my friend both online and in real life about anime and we got to discussing Gurran Lagann recently and everyone had just loads of good stuff to say about kamina but i just don't see it, Am i the only one who thinks Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren lagann is an annoying prick? I mean most of what he did was get Simon to the surface and than go into martyrdom to power up the other characters.
May 25, 2015 6:34 AM

Jul 2014
Kamina sucks, Kittan is the real hero of the show.
May 25, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2012
Mavronumon said:
] Am i the only one who thinks Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren lagann is an annoying prick?
Yes you are.

Well, I mean, he's not the only star of the show. There are lots of other great characters like Yoko and Simon, but as an inspirational big brother for Simon, he does a damn good job!
May 25, 2015 6:42 AM

Jun 2012
I didn't find him annoying, but I didn't find him very appealing either. I didn't find any character from TTGL particularly interesting.
May 25, 2015 6:42 AM

Jul 2013
He's overrated. People love him so much cuz he died while he still has a memorable personality that most people seem to admire so much.
Dull_LullMay 25, 2015 6:46 AM
May 25, 2015 6:50 AM

Feb 2015
He's my favourite anime character.
May 25, 2015 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
Mavronumon said:
I mean most of what he did was get Simon to the surface and than go into martyrdom to power up the other characters.

A) Dying isn't exactly a character flaw so it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his personality.

B) Getting Simon to the surface and convincing many people to fight was a pretty big accomplishment. By the time the show starts people have spent their whole life underground without any other ambitions than survival. Without Kamina people might not have cared enough to get out and fight. Without him there outright wouldn't have been a story. He's liked not just for his accomplishments, but also for being an inspirational figure to all.
May 25, 2015 6:51 AM

Nov 2012
Kamina is better than you.
May 25, 2015 6:59 AM

Jun 2013
First off there is no Gurren Lagann without Kamina, he got everything started up and got the humans to fight back so he is definitely not useless. Whether or not you see him as an ass really depends on your personality. If you see people who are pretty much the definition of alpha male as annoying pricks then chances are you're the type of person who isn't... well, I don't wanna sound too mean so I'll just say popular (this is especially proven by you specifying online and real life when talking about friends).
Personally I think Kamina is the best supporting male in any anime as almost every action he took was to make Simon a better person (and no I'm not saying I'm popular cause I like Kamina, I'm a basement dweller like the rest of you).
May 25, 2015 7:00 AM
Dec 2013
Kamina seems like the ass who would tell you how Journey is the greatest 80s band
May 25, 2015 7:00 AM

Jul 2013
You're gonna get rekt by the Kamina fanboys.
May 25, 2015 7:04 AM
Mar 2012
DrCoppelius said:
Mavronumon said:
I mean most of what he did was get Simon to the surface and than go into martyrdom to power up the other characters.

A) Dying isn't exactly a character flaw so it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his personality.

B) Getting Simon to the surface and convincing many people to fight was a pretty big accomplishment. By the time the show starts people have spent their whole life underground without any other ambitions than survival. Without Kamina people might not have cared enough to get out and fight. Without him there outright wouldn't have been a story. He's liked not just for his accomplishments, but also for being an inspirational figure to all.

I don't disagree with that but i think he gets way to much credit where as Simon who is the one actually providing the Spiral power throughout the story gets very little even after he took a level in badass, i just think people overrate him while underrating Simon, Yokos falling in love with him never made much sense to me either sense for like the first ten episodes she completely ignores him and constantly insulting Kamina while flirting with Simon, he just acted like a real douchebag most of the time.
May 25, 2015 7:06 AM

Nov 2012
well he isn't a bad character, but i never thought he was as great as everyone says either.
May 25, 2015 7:10 AM

May 2013
Nope, you're not. Prick might be a bit much though? I mean he was very annoying, what with his cheerleading skills and lack of strategy and whatnot, but he had good intentions, so it's kind of hard to hate the poor guy.

Still, such a waste to focus so much on him just to have him
May 25, 2015 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
Mavronumon said:
I don't disagree with that but i think he gets way to much credit where as Simon who is the one actually providing the Spiral power throughout the story gets very little even after he took a level in badass, i just think people overrate him while underrating Simon, Yokos falling in love with him never made much sense to me either sense for like the first ten episodes she completely ignores him and constantly insulting Kamina while flirting with Simon, he just acted like a real douchebag most of the time.

Most people's grievances with Simon are personal ones. They just don't like his personality. I think he's a good character but I can't make an argument against someone being annoyed by his kind of personality. So yeah, I agree so he's somewhat underrated but, well.

Yoko flirts with Kamina plenty in the first ten episodes. She's nice to Simon but she's obviously not interested in him. She treats him like a cute little brother at most.
May 25, 2015 7:28 AM
Mar 2012
Doc this didn't seem like little brother stuff to me

http://gurrenlagann.wikia.com/wiki/Yoko_Littner?file=SimonYoko.gif#Simon
May 25, 2015 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
Mavronumon said:
Doc this didn't seem like little brother stuff to me

http://gurrenlagann.wikia.com/wiki/Yoko_Littner?file=SimonYoko.gif#Simon

IIRC him shoving his face in her boobs was an accident and I interpreted the smile as meaning "It's fine, I'm not upset". After all, most women would get pissed if a guy shoved his face into their boobs so smiling was certainly a bit reassuring.

I don't deny there might have been a bit of flirting there but Yoko dresses provocatively enough. She obviously likes men to look at her, doesn't mean she's into them romantically. The dialogue between Yoko and Kamina seemed a lot more like back-and-forth teasing, rather than Yoko being nice to Simon and Simon blushing.
May 25, 2015 11:53 AM

Feb 2015
Eh. He was alright. Should of put another option up. Just upset that Yoko x Simon didnt happen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Yesterday, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.