Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What do you think of the series?
May 6, 2015 3:18 AM

Apr 2015
Just curious, it's not really hinted but people are questioning because of the "red string' in the ED....But we know the MC has a childhood friend she is close with. What do you think? Is it yuri or Kyoani just doing a "Tamako" style romance again.
RPSB9Jun 8, 2015 5:16 AM
#CHEXIT
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 6, 2015 4:06 AM

Oct 2009
It means sensei is going to marry both girls.

Just kidding..... maybe.

It's a pinky promise. They are soulmate, string of fate does not necessarily a lover you know.
azzuReMay 6, 2015 4:09 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 6, 2015 5:53 AM

Jun 2008
I never considered this to mean nothing more than all four girls will become best friends. I think people read more into things than they really should.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 6, 2015 8:50 AM
Feb 2012
sbyrstall said:
I never considered this to mean nothing more than all four girls will become best friends. I think people read more into things than they really should.

Every presentation in an opening/ending song has a meaning. So, we can't really avoid to read too much.
welcome to my profile :)
May 6, 2015 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
I think there might be, the hair flick looked a little bit flirtatious if you ask me.

Mind you I watched this episode immediately after finishing *spoilers* the Legend of Korra finale so I might be tricking myself into thinking it.
May 6, 2015 11:52 AM

May 2010
Don't really think so esp. when there are guys in this anime.
May 6, 2015 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
TragicRomance said:

Why is the presence of guys an impediment to yuri? Take a look at Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words), Girl Friends, and even Aoi Hana. All of them have male characters that have at least as large of a role as the trombone playing childhood friend has had so far.

Not to mention Revolutionary Girl Utena! That has guys and hetero relationships all over the place!

Not all yuri is Sakura Trick or Yurikuma Arashi where there are almost no men in the story at all! The more realistic ones have men and may even have women who end up dating other women dating men, either to "pass as normal" or because they haven't figured out why they never really hit it off with any of the guys who asked them out.

There are also people who are bi...

azzuRe said:
It means sensei is going to marry both girls.

Just kidding..... maybe.

It's a pinky promise. They are soulmate, string of fate does not necessarily a lover you know.

Search around and FIND a source that says that the red string of fate/destiny means anything other than that the two people are destined to be lovers/soulmates and I'll buy that this is not yuri.

Here is the standard text on it (bold text done by me):
multiple sources said:
According to this myth, the gods tie a red cord around the ankles of those that are to meet one another in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way. Often, in Japanese culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger. According to Chinese legend, the deity in charge of “the red thread” is believed to be Yuè Xià Lǎo, the old lunar matchmaker god who is also in charge of marriages.

The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break.

That regardless of circumstances is the pivotal part. That means that it doesn't matter what the gender of the pair is; whether they are currently 'in love' with someone else, or unavailable for some other reason. Fate will have their way with them.

Really, I don't understand how anyone could watch episode 5 with that deliciously flirtatious hair flip and fond, loving smile from Reina and the timid glances the two tossed at each other while trying on the new band uniforms and think that their relationship is anything other than that of two people strongly attracted to each other.

As for Reina's defense of Sensei, I have a perfectly good explanation for it: He was her private teacher for trumpet and she respects his musical ability. One thing we know about Reina is that she is serious about band. Joining this high school because she is in love with the guy who is taking over as the new band instructor totally doesn't fit with that personality. She is too serious about band to let something like love get in the way of being in a successful band that makes nationals.

If, instead, she knows the director and respects his teaching ability tremendously and thinks that he is a director who can take a bunch of people like, say, that really cute euphonium player with so much potential who never thought that their middle school band had what it takes to make nationals and teach them what they need to know to make it to the next level and beyond... Well... that would be a reason to go to a school without a reputation for a good band program!

The fact that the cute euphonium player that she was so inexplicably attracted to happens to be going to that same school is a bonus! Perhaps she can get to know her better and they can patch up the rift that appeared after the band competition last year when she (Reina) was a bit too harsh toward her?

Just speculation, mind you... :)
zensunniMay 6, 2015 12:32 PM
May 6, 2015 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
Not really right now. :|
May 6, 2015 2:06 PM

Apr 2015
Come to think of it.... Did Kyoani made an anime that had a yuri theme?

If not, do you think they're just baiting yuri shippers? Like those in

..then betray them in the end?
RPSB9May 6, 2015 2:12 PM
#CHEXIT
May 6, 2015 2:10 PM

Jul 2010
One good piece of evidence is the character chart on the official web site. The word connecting Reina and Kumiko is: 引力 (Yǐnlì), which translates to "Attraction". (Look it up... The individual characters are 引Yǐn - with meanings of Lead, Guide, Attract, Draw, etc... and 力(Lì) - which means Force, Strength, or Power. So, an attracting force, or attraction.)
May 6, 2015 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
zensunni said:
One good piece of evidence is the character chart on the official web site. The word connecting Reina and Kumiko is: 引力 (Yǐnlì), which translates to "Attraction". (Look it up... The individual characters are 引Yǐn - with meanings of Lead, Guide, Attract, Draw, etc... and 力(Lì) - which means Force, Strength, or Power. So, an attracting force, or attraction.)

B-but attraction is not the same as love.
#CHEXIT
May 6, 2015 2:48 PM

Jul 2010
Imeon said:
zensunni said:

That's because it is the character chart for the BEGINNING of the anime. They are not in love, yet... They are attracted to each other. (Perhaps enough to influence which school one of them chose, but I think that has more to do with the director she respects, since she is pretty serious about band. Having that cute Euphonium player that she is attracted to there is just a bonus.)
May 6, 2015 2:52 PM

Apr 2015
zensunni said:
Imeon said:

That's because it is the character chart for the BEGINNING of the anime. They are not in love, yet... They are attracted to each other. (Perhaps enough to influence which school one of them chose, but I think that has more to do with the director she respects, since she is pretty serious about band. Having that cute Euphonium player that she is attracted to there is just a bonus.)

What? Charts changes? That's the first time I heard of it. I thought charts are constant, It gives you the BIG picture if the relationships.

What if in the end you were wrong? What will you do? Just in case.
#CHEXIT
May 6, 2015 2:59 PM

Feb 2014
I'd be really happy either way. I think it's a nice unsexualised way of exploring their emotions. Like they're not making it a big thing but MC shows enough disinterest in boys that I'm inclined to think she is definitely not straight.

Are they in love? Will they get together in the end? Does it even matter? Who knows? I doubt even the girls themselves know what they are feeling towards each other, but I really enjoy seeing those kind of feelings develop naturally like this anime is doing.

Girls growing up and going through things together and becoming friends <3 Girls falling in love with other girls <3 Girls exploring their feelings <3 Girls <3
May 6, 2015 3:06 PM

Jul 2014
im an intern helping out with the anime and *hint* *hint*, u will be pleasantly surprised in the next 4 episodes
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
May 6, 2015 3:08 PM

Feb 2014
Imeon said:
If not, do you think they're just baiting yuri shippers?

do u even need 2 ask that? Kyoani is like the crown prince of queerbaiting. Subtle yuri/yaoi sells. Think K-On, think Free. The studio literally survives on money they get from desperate queers, fujoshi, and dirty neckbeards masturbating to small squishy looking girls; moe shit with queer undertones is the way to the big bucks man.
May 6, 2015 3:23 PM

Feb 2013
Is only subtext (sadly).

Imeon said:
Come to think of it.... Did Kyoani made an anime that had a yuri theme?

If not, do you think they're just baiting yuri shippers? Like those in

Probably, it wouldn't be the first time they do this.

May 6, 2015 6:40 PM

Aug 2009
Well, no.
I would not mind f/f romance of course, but one have to reeeeally wish that strong to see any shoujo-ai in Euphonium. I read the supposed "hints" of that on this thread and it really screams over-reading.
If ever their is a slight presence of it, it will remain like that, so subtle it's just existing for those who want to see it.
ZiassanMay 6, 2015 6:54 PM
May 6, 2015 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
zensunni said:

love that you actually wrote all of this out, because it's largely what I was thinking about the series. Especially after the 5th episode, now. The shy glances at each other, and hair-flip and smile are what made me toss caution to the wind and go for the yuri ship.

the only difference in my thoughts is about him being her private trumpet teacher. from personal experience, a lot of serious young musicians will go to music camps over summer breaks, or attend ensemble clinics with guest conductors. It may not be the same in Japan, but I was guessing that she did something like that and he conducted her ensemble, impressing her in the process (enough to shut people up for badmouthing him)
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
May 6, 2015 7:48 PM

Jan 2015
zensunni said:

Seems like Chinese. The Japanese term in actually 'inryoku', but similarly means 'attractive force' or just 'attraction'.

I deem this enough to count as yuri. Or shoujo-ai.

abyss333 said:
im an intern helping out with the anime and *hint* *hint*, u will be pleasantly surprised in the next 4 episodes

How did anyone read over this??? Might be a hoax, but for all we know, could be true! One hopes.

May 6, 2015 8:19 PM

Aug 2014
If there is, then what would that make the male childhood friend?
May 6, 2015 8:45 PM
Apr 2013
but kousaka likes the teacher?
May 6, 2015 8:47 PM

Jul 2012
y123y said:

a guy Kumiko doesn't seem to like very much who told her "Quit talking to me, ugly" in middle school?
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
May 6, 2015 8:50 PM

Aug 2014
mg021 said:
y123y said:

a guy Kumiko doesn't seem to like very much who told her "Quit talking to me, ugly" in middle school?

He also seems to be on the bad side of Reina for saying bad things about the sensei. Not a good start for him.
May 6, 2015 10:30 PM

Mar 2012
Daerys said:
but kousaka likes the teacher?

Yes, because everyone knows pedophilia is such a better concept than homosexuality...
May 6, 2015 10:56 PM

Nov 2007
Sorry to see that some will be left disappointed. [spoiler]KyoAni baits are always over the top. :P
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 6, 2015 11:00 PM

Mar 2012
shanimebib said:
Sorry to see that some will be left disappointed. [spoiler]KyoAni baits are always over the top. :P

As much as I love KyotoAni (my favorite production studio), they're fujoshi/homo baiting is pretty God damn absurd.
May 7, 2015 12:06 AM

May 2010
zensunni said:
TragicRomance said:

Why is the presence of guys an impediment to yuri? Take a look at Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words), Girl Friends, and even Aoi Hana. All of them have male characters that have at least as large of a role as the trombone playing childhood friend has had so far.

Not to mention Revolutionary Girl Utena! That has guys and hetero relationships all over the place!

Not all yuri is Sakura Trick or Yurikuma Arashi where there are almost no men in the story at all! The more realistic ones have men and may even have women who end up dating other women dating men, either to "pass as normal" or because they haven't figured out why they never really hit it off with any of the guys who asked them out.

There are also people who are bi...

Okay, maybe I should have elaborated myself better. I actually meant that the guys get as much focus as the girls in this anime when it comes to ship tease. Take Shuichi/Kumiko relationship for example. Their interactions have this, "Shuuchi has a crush on Kumiko." feel to it. Plus there's a good chemistry between them, Kumiko's bitter responses are interesting. It seems Shuichi regrets calling her ugly in middle school, as he might have fallen for her now (I mean, that camera zooming when he said, "Let's give it our best today." If they had no plans for this ship to be a thing, then they wouldn't go as far as emphasizing that scene. I am not saying it is more probable than Reina/Kumiko, but it does stand an equal chance when it comes to development) In this aspect, it reminds me of Tamako Market where Mochizou had a crush on Tamako along with Midori (who had an immense friend/romantic crush... arguable) on her, but she had no idea about either of these... at least in the tv series.

What I mean is, the girls might show bisexual tendencies as you said, but I doubt there will be any clear-cut couples by the end. KyoAni has done yuri baiting before, it's a common plot-device in anime. Love Lab had some great yuri ships, but then the guys arrived, and gradually, the main girls fell for them. Romance is a side-genre at this rate anyway, the show is focusing more on the musical performances, and I like the way it is going.
May 7, 2015 12:42 AM
Jan 2012
Strings of fate does not necessarily mean love. And look at the comical facial expression of Kumiko in the ED with the strings involving Sapphire and Hazuki between Reina.

If you've watched the anime series for 5 episodes attentively, you'd obviously know now that:
1) Reina has a sort of admiration for "that person" but it's highly doubtful that "that person" would go beyond social and other norms to seize the opportunity, even if he's ever a bit interested in doing so.
2) Kumiko is seeing Reina as a sort of comrade and as a rivaling person to look up to
3) Kumiko and "that guy" are tied to each other; Kumiko's sulky attitude towards "that guy" is actually a mirrored closeness, whereas "that guy"'s attitude is a way to hide his shyness towards people surrounding them (but he is obviously drawn towards Kumiko).
4) The story would obviously shed some light on the triangular relationship between "that guy", Kumiko, and "that girl". When something happens, the relationship could drastically change (like Tamako Love Story).
5) If you read Japanese, and don't mind spoilers, read the sub-episodes of Kitauji Dayori (Letters from Kitauji) at the Novel/Manga official site. If you don't mind being spoiled further, read the actual book (Volume 1).
GohanwaOkazuMay 7, 2015 12:56 AM
May 7, 2015 3:09 AM

Oct 2009
zensunni said:

Search around and FIND a source that says that the red string of fate/destiny means anything other than that the two people are destined to be lovers/soulmates and I'll buy that this is not yuri.

Here is the standard text on it (bold text done by me):
multiple sources said:
According to this myth, the gods tie a red cord around the ankles of those that are to meet one another in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way. Often, in Japanese culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger. According to Chinese legend, the deity in charge of “the red thread” is believed to be Yuè Xià Lǎo, the old lunar matchmaker god who is also in charge of marriages.

The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break.

That regardless of circumstances is the pivotal part. That means that it doesn't matter what the gender of the pair is; whether they are currently 'in love' with someone else, or unavailable for some other reason. Fate will have their way with them.

The problem is you misread it as simple romantic 'love', red strings in the japanese culture is used to represent fate and it was strongly connected to the concept of reincarnation in Hinduism and Buddhism and the concept of karmic bonds. The chinese story of the little boy met his future wife is only one facet of it's concept. You should re-read what you find and see it's original meaning:
"the gods tie an invisible red string around the ankles of those that are destined to meet each other or help each other in a certain way."

Karmic bonds does not exclusively works for romantic love interest, it could also shared by siblings, comrades, parents, or even rivals. It is there to state that some bonds are stronger than deaths and you will resonates with them on your next incarnations.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 7, 2015 6:00 AM
Jan 2012
zensunni said:

Well, it's fine if you are fine with that; enjoy the series as you like. I don't mind. I can't cite a source because I am not really that interested in doing so. If your theory and understanding prove right, I'd be surprised but might be more entertained.

By the way, I am Japanese living in Japan (born and raised near Kyoto); I sometimes pop around here to practice on my English writing skills (I hope you don't mind about that). So you don't have to go far as to teach me how things are in native usage in my native language. Of course, things might be a bit different in other cultures, which I respect and take interest in. Also, the animator who was in charge of the ED animation, Naoko Yamada, has a tendency to "play" with the yuri theme (as in Tamako LS between Midori and Tamako, and maybe even in K-ON! Movie! between Azusa and Yui), although the relation is always bit blurred. Blurred, because the girls involved are seemingly not totally aware whether that emotion is friendship/special caring or something else.

azzuRe said:
The problem is you misread it as simple romantic 'love', red strings in the japanese culture is used to represent fate and it was strongly connected to the concept of reincarnation in Hinduism and Buddhism and the concept of karmic bonds. The chinese story of the little boy met his future wife is only one facet of it's concept.

Yes, that's more to the point- at least according to my own understanding.
GohanwaOkazuMay 7, 2015 6:29 AM
May 7, 2015 6:11 AM

Mar 2015
Regardless of what the red string of fate can mean, the intention of putting it there ,and so blatantly at that, is clear. Not to say that it definitely means the show is going to be yuri.

More than likely, it's going to end up ambiguous but I am kind of surprised with just how much subtext they are throwing at the viewers, it kind of gets my hopes up.
May 8, 2015 12:41 AM

Apr 2015
The awkwardness of Kumiko to Reina is normal though in anime it's kinda exaggerated. One can feel uneasiness not only with the person they love but also with the people they have attractions and admiration even with rivals or persons not close to them. The way Kumiko is uneasy is resulted to unable to start a conversion with Reina. Reina is special in her class, and any one can feel uneasy with that kind of person beside them.

I checked the "red strings" scene at the ED and it seems all of them has it. So I think it's just Kyoani yuri baiting. The red string actually connects the 4 girls and not just between Kumiko and Reina.

I strongly believe that Reina is attracted with Sensei. And I think Kumiko has already a"thing" for Shuichi, but only unconscious about it. So just a warning, be prepared for the moe outburst once Kumiko realizes it. ^_^
RPSB9May 8, 2015 2:38 AM
#CHEXIT
May 8, 2015 2:28 AM

Oct 2013
Is it yuri? Probably not. Plenty of kyoani shows have subtext but they have never done anything other than hetero romance.

This anime is going to be like what happened with Free! The red thread was also mentioned there but it was about friendship and being meant to eventually meet each other.

In short, Hibike! will be friendship centric with some subtext but it will not go to canon yuri romance territory. Evidence is all previous kyoani shows.
May 8, 2015 4:37 AM

Mar 2015
@Imeon

It's kind of nice to see just how opposite our opinions are. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I honestly think it's good to see from a different perspective. If anything, I think this chasm in opinion is an intended effect, which is to say, they might not give an inch to either side, letting both sides get what they want.

Imeon said:

I checked the "red strings" scene at the ED and it seems all of them has it. So I think it's just Kyoani yuri baiting. The red string actually connects the 4 girls and not just between Kumiko and Reina.

Actually, the string is only tied to Kumiko and Reina, the other two are just holding on to it.

Imeon said:

I strongly believe that Reina is attracted with Sensei.

I'm curious how others feel about this, personally I see it more as admiration. If I had to choose, I would say what Reina likes most isn't Sensei or Kumiko but rather trumpet-san.

Oh and bloodswordszkill above is probably right.
May 8, 2015 4:56 AM

Apr 2015
MelonMilk said:

Actually, the string is only tied to Kumiko and Reina, the other two are just holding on to it.

But what does holding it imply? I think it seems the four are connected by fate. Not sure what happened back in the past but I think what really meantby the two holding the string is they will help fix "problem" for the two. I don't think anything romantic about it.

MelonMilk said:
I'm curious how others feel about this, personally I see it more as admiration. If I had to choose, I would say what Reina likes most isn't Sensei or Kumiko but rather trumpet-san.

Well, again, I don't think Reina has any romantic interest with Kumiko. But the way Reina, defends Sensei, I also think there is special "something" other than admiration.
#CHEXIT
May 8, 2015 8:57 AM

May 2015
According to my friend who read the novel,

Dammit. Though he does like to troll me, so I'm just going to wait until reading it myself before bashing my head to a wall.

According to a blog,

Although bloodswordzkill is probably right (goddammit), I'm still hopeful that at the very least there really isn't any romance plot for the main characters.
May 8, 2015 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
GohanwaOkazu said:
zensunni said:

Well, it's fine if you are fine with that; enjoy the series as you like. I don't mind. I can't cite a source because I am not really that interested in doing so. If your theory and understanding prove right, I'd be surprised but might be more entertained.

By the way, I am Japanese living in Japan (born and raised near Kyoto); I sometimes pop around here to practice on my English writing skills (I hope you don't mind about that). So you don't have to go far as to teach me how things are in native usage in my native language. Of course, things might be a bit different in other cultures, which I respect and take interest in. Also, the animator who was in charge of the ED animation, Naoko Yamada, has a tendency to "play" with the yuri theme (as in Tamako LS between Midori and Tamako, and maybe even in K-ON! Movie! between Azusa and Yui), although the relation is always bit blurred. Blurred, because the girls involved are seemingly not totally aware whether that emotion is friendship/special caring or something else.

azzuRe said:
The problem is you misread it as simple romantic 'love', red strings in the japanese culture is used to represent fate and it was strongly connected to the concept of reincarnation in Hinduism and Buddhism and the concept of karmic bonds. The chinese story of the little boy met his future wife is only one facet of it's concept.

Yes, that's more to the point- at least according to my own understanding.

Thanks for the information. And your English writing skills are better than many native speakers! :)

EDIT: BTW, I have to admit that I was unaware of the fact that this is based on a series of light novels! (I'm not sure why I hadn't seen the adaptation link, other than the fact that they added in the episode information above it, taking up most of the screen when I open the page.)

I looked to see if I could find info on the novels and found a very good commentary/primer on the series from a blogger/translator who picked up a copy of the first novel when he visited Kyoto recently and enjoyed the book. I have sen much of the text on the characters and the synopsis elsewhere, but it was nice to see the character map translated and his (or her? I didn't really look to see...) comments about the nature of the story were quite good. in particular:
Sound Euphonium has been described by both the director, Tatsuya Ishihara, and the assistant producer, Rina Sezaki, as being a straightforward drama. This is not your standard slice-of-life show like K-On! or Tamako Market. It has more in common with Hanasaku Iroha and Chihayafuru than those shows. There’s an inherent belief that the show will be focused around lazing around or romance than what the novel does. Are there moments of downtime? Yes, but they’re there to advance the plot of the novel and to expand the characters more than eating sweets. Is there a bit of romantic interest? Of course, they’re high schoolers in a co-ed environment, but that’s not what the story is about.

So, essentially, I think what he is getting at is that the romance is secondary to the drama around the concert band itself. In any case, I look forward to more! There are three novels out and no indication that the author is done, so I wonder how much of the story the anime is planning to cover? Three novels is pretty easy to cover in a 1 cour series. We might get the whole story as it has been written so far...

Oh, BTW, the novel is NOT classified as a light novel. It is basically young adult fiction. The cover has very manga-like art, but from what I have read there isn't any internal illustration. (If I am wrong, please let me know...)
zensunniMay 8, 2015 3:02 PM
May 8, 2015 8:07 PM

Apr 2015
MonkeyBlues said:
According to my friend who read the novel,

Dammit. Though he does like to troll me, so I'm just going to wait until reading it myself before bashing my head to a wall.

According to a blog,

Although bloodswordzkill is probably right (goddammit), I'm still hopeful that at the very least there really isn't any romance plot for the main characters.

Blogs can be bias most of the time.
#CHEXIT
May 8, 2015 9:38 PM

Mar 2015
@MonkeyBlues
Thanks for sharing, I at least know what to expect now.

I went to scrape out what I could about the source material, and from what I've seen so far, the show hasn't been a faithful adaptation.

KyoAni might be going for something different or they might just be baiting, whatever it is, I think I'm just going to stop speculating and just watch.
May 8, 2015 10:16 PM
Jan 2012
If you read Japanese, at the official site of the original novel and manga, you can read the sub-episodes not included in the original story (which in some cases are just written from a different person's point of view) here (including the bomb which involves Hazuki's love affair):
http://tkj.jp/info/euphonium/backnumber

The manga is partly updated here:
http://konomanga.jp/manga/euphonium

Above includes BIG spoilers so people wanting to enjoy the show shouldn't read them.
May 9, 2015 2:26 AM

May 2010
MelonMilk said:
@MonkeyBlues
Thanks for sharing, I at least know what to expect now.

I went to scrape out what I could about the source material, and from what I've seen so far, the show hasn't been a faithful adaptation.

KyoAni might be going for something different or they might just be baiting, whatever it is, I think I'm just going to stop speculating and just watch.

Imo it gives even more evidence to the speculation that KyoAni is just exaggerating the shojo ai baiting to enhance their sales, and it's not going to get romantic. But hey, relationships between human beings are always fascinating, who cares if it is romantic or platonic. As long as two people care for each other, that's all which matters.
May 9, 2015 2:46 AM

Jul 2008
No, doesn't feel like it to me.
May 9, 2015 4:20 AM

May 2015
Just bought the 3rd novel and I jumped right to the epilogue,

@MelonMilk: Yeah, I just started reading the 1st volume and there's quite a lot of small differences. (Like how Asuka first show up, and Kumiko seemed to be more indecisive and more easily swept by her surrounding than the anime, etc)

Eh, not really expecting a legit yuri/yaoi relationship from Kyoani, but still pretty sure they'll give the fandom enough subtext for a buttload of doujin. So looking forward to that at least.
MonkeyBluesMay 9, 2015 4:27 AM
May 9, 2015 4:46 AM

Apr 2015
MonkeyBlues said:
Just bought the 3rd novel and I jumped right to the epilogue,

I agree that she could be embarrassed that it's from Shuichi. Or also, Shuichi is indeed her "boy friend" but not "boyfriend" or also, it could be that she tries to "own" Shuichi after he gave it to her and she thinks its like they're an official couple.

Seriously, Kyoani don't make yuri..... and Reina becoming Kumiko's "boyfriend" is like flipping Kyoani's table 180 degrees....
#CHEXIT
May 10, 2015 9:10 AM

May 2015
@Imeon: Yep, not expecting a lot here (though still shipping them like hell).

@MelonMilk: Where did you get the anime episode synopsis btw??
May 10, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2015
My Japanese is quite weak, so I took the info from second hand sources. The original source is from nyantype magazine, I think.

http://rakusyasa.blog41.fc2.com/blog-entry-16547.html
https://yande.re/wiki/show?title=ikeda_shouko
MelonMilkMay 10, 2015 3:39 PM
May 11, 2015 12:07 AM

May 2011
My gut instinct is that if there is any "attraction" it'll be rather ambiguous and glossed over.

You probably will see a few "Free!" moments though.
May 11, 2015 1:13 AM

Nov 2013
Take off your yuri goggles, guys. You must be watching a different anime.
May 12, 2015 6:52 PM

Aug 2008
Nope. Not at all. I'm not saying names, but there are people that are blowing this out of proportion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.