Forum Settings
Forums

Will American cartoons ever measure up to Anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 5, 2015 8:40 PM

Jul 2012
>ctrl f "Sym-Bionic Titan"
>0 results
Shit taste everyone.
Now posting COTYAY. We can all go home now.

Apr 5, 2015 9:59 PM
Mar 2011
BigBoss96 said:
Adventure Time alone trashes 95% of animu

ging ei den as a story last over 70 hours fravshi wise so beats mos if not allt us cartoos as peice of narative fiction that is fact
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 5, 2015 10:40 PM

Jul 2012
how is this fart jokes and toilet humor?

xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"
Apr 6, 2015 8:34 AM

Jun 2010
I would argue it already has. I've been enjoying American animation far more than anime these days. Even if I did agree that american animation is all comedy. Archer is funnier than any anime that's come out in recent years. Not even Gintama can stand up to Archer
Apr 10, 2015 6:07 AM

Jul 2014
Batman: The Animated Series is better than most of the anime I've watched IMHO
Take care of yourself

Apr 10, 2015 8:16 PM

Feb 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Over the Garden Wall is rated higher than every modern anime on IMDB.

Over the Garden Wall is rated higher than Steins Gate, Madoka Magica, Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade works ( the 2014 series by Ufotable not movie), Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Bahamut, Knights of Sidonia etc.
It seemed like it could be interesting so I checked it out. 2-3/10, dropped after ep2. Way too kid targeted for my taste. Just proves IMDB raters have bad taste.
Apr 10, 2015 8:20 PM

Mar 2014
Lolz, other way around
Apr 10, 2015 9:15 PM

Aug 2013
BurntJelly said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Over the Garden Wall is rated higher than every modern anime on IMDB.

Over the Garden Wall is rated higher than Steins Gate, Madoka Magica, Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade works ( the 2014 series by Ufotable not movie), Death Parade, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Bahamut, Knights of Sidonia etc.
It seemed like it could be interesting so I checked it out. 2-3/10, dropped after ep2. Way too kid targeted for my taste. Just proves IMDB raters have bad taste.
No it proves you have shit taste. I guess you should stick to your super mature anime about friendship between little girls and moe little girls singing.
Apr 10, 2015 10:05 PM
Feb 2013
If we get another show similar to something like Batman the Animated Series, Young Justice, Samurai Jack, or Avatar the Last Airbender, then it could be possible.
Apr 10, 2015 10:24 PM
Mar 2015
Samurai Jack was pretty close to the masterpiece level. Imo, there is nothing impossible.
[s]South park=life.
Apr 11, 2015 2:08 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
BurntJelly said:
No it proves you have shit taste. I guess you should stick to your super mature anime about friendship between little girls and moe little girls singing.

what conmparinf around 3 hours story to a 70 80 plushpurs story IMDB is very western baised and us bias i do think n cuas i doubt there is any movies there in the top 20 witch are not hollwood or anglo shpare porduced movies il bet you 100 bucks on that iv look my self there 1/20 hell there are only 6/100 in the IMBD top 100 that ar indeed nor Hollywood or other wise angloshpare produced movies that not a good number to say that site is fully un basied

since i watch movies from all over the world alot of the top 100 im IMDB shows the cultal eletims of the userbase
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 11, 2015 2:24 AM
Jun 2014
BigBoss96 said:
Adventure Time alone trashes 95% of animu

need to try that
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 11, 2015 2:27 AM

Jul 2012
seems like only one of you mentioned Bob's Burgers

this show is SO fucking funny and has an amazing heart
if you like animated US series, its a MUST SEE
Apr 11, 2015 3:04 AM

Dec 2013
As far as comedy goes, western animation is already way superior. I have yet to find a comedy anime that makes me consistently laugh. (except Inferno Cop)

They need to get away from the 'cartoons are for children unless it's comedy' stigma though.

I really like a lot of the stuff DC does.
1940s Superman is fucking beautiful.
MalfegorApr 11, 2015 3:30 AM
Apr 11, 2015 3:08 AM

Aug 2013
FGAU1912 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

what conmparinf around 3 hours story to a 70 80 plushpurs story IMDB is very western baised and us bias i do think n cuas i doubt there is any movies there in the top 20 witch are not hollwood or anglo shpare porduced movies il bet you 100 bucks on that iv look my self there 1/20 hell there are only 6/100 in the IMBD top 100 that ar indeed nor Hollywood or other wise angloshpare produced movies that not a good number to say that site is fully un basied

since i watch movies from all over the world alot of the top 100 im IMDB shows the cultal eletims of the userbase
I'm not seeing any real bias against anime at all. Most anime are rated high even shit anime like SAO, Mirrai Nikki have good scores. If it was super biased then Avengers and the Transformers movies would be above all anime.
Apr 11, 2015 4:30 AM

Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
I'm not seeing any real bias against anime at all. Most anime are rated high even shit anime like SAO, Mirrai Nikki have good scores. If it was super biased then Avengers and the Transformers movies would be above all anime.

Technically, he's right. I checked the demographics for the ratings, and anime series though highly rated get a lot more 1/10 than Western ones. That just makes it even more impressive in my opinion.
Also, the IMDB staff ratings are generally the lowest which is clear bias (except when it comes to series like Cowboy Bebop).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 11, 2015 4:33 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
FGAU1912 said:

im talking Media not made in the angloshpare in genral i counted there 1 6/100 in te top 100 thats not good imo

look at the top 100 movies im IMdb your self and you will see in black and white there is only 6/100 moive in thr top 100 not name in US/UK im not only talking Japan here im talking the fact there no great new wave [ France] Dogma[ Dansish] Impressions[ German]

hell the top 100 om that site is more fucked than Mal's really im sorry just the fact Kane is not n0 1 is fucked beyond belife as i think a us movie is the best of all time show im not biased

but going by IMDB is fucked cuase the top ratings are fucked hell Voyage to the moon is not even in the top 250 while it has three star wars movies the lack of wim wenders movies in tthe top 250 if fucked too

i odnt agree with the mall top 250 but i disagree with the IMDB one even more

Apr 11, 2015 4:43 AM

Oct 2008
To me even among the absolute worst american cartoons titles out there are still infinitely better than any harems or recent light novel adaptations.Trying something and failing is still better than something devoid of any imagination or desire to at least stand out from the rest of the crowd.
Also I really feel like with stuff like Ren And Stimpy or Courage The Cowardly they completely pushed to envelope when it came to what they could get away in a children oriented series,where with anime most of the time the risk factor is always extremely low.
Apr 11, 2015 4:45 AM

Oct 2014
Malfegor said:

They need to get away from the 'cartoons are for children unless it's comedy' stigma though.

That is the main problem with the american animation industry. Because of that stigma, people.....well those who consider themselves 'cool' or 'mature' tend to shun cartoons, making animation studios don't make any effort to churn out good shows that is accessible to everyone. DC still does, though but the direct-to-DVD movies while not bad rarely measure up to the DC Animated Universe of the 90s.

I am glad someone remembered the 1940s Superman series. The animation for its time was groundbreaking and still holds up today. And in those days, writers actually CARED enough to not make Superman look like just a mere boy scout.

Apr 11, 2015 4:49 AM

Aug 2013
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Technically, he's right. I checked the demographics for the ratings, and anime series though highly rated get a lot more 1/10 than Western ones. That just makes it even more impressive in my opinion.
Also, the IMDB staff ratings are generally the lowest which is clear bias (except when it comes to series like Cowboy Bebop).
Most popular Hollywood movies to me have way more 1/10's than popular anime. I think popularity leads to having more 1/10's.
Apr 11, 2015 4:51 AM
Mar 2011
amateur said:
To me even among the absolute worst american cartoons titles out there are still infinitely better than any harems or recent light novel adaptations.Trying something and failing is still better than something devoid of any imagination or desire to at least stand out from the rest of the crowd.
Also I really feel like with stuff like Ren And Stimpy or Courage The Cowardly they completely pushed to envelope when it came to what they could get away in a children oriented series,where with anime most of the time the risk factor is always extremely low.

Most anime is for by Japanese law people that are classfied as kids Komodo is for young kids
by Japanese law you in fact cannot be tried as adult till 20 so knowing that Kids anime is more Extreme Kids cartoons could ever be

any seinen and Joshi or Mina anime are the only one not aimed at people who are legally speaking not Children [ by the legal letter of law]

Apr 11, 2015 4:53 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
RedRoseFring said:

Most popular Hollywood movies to me have way more 1/10's than popular anime. I think popularity leads to having more 1/10's.

read my post on why i think the top 250 on that site if more fuck than mal's

Apr 11, 2015 4:57 AM

Aug 2013
Khaosman said:
DC still does, though but the direct-to-DVD movies while not bad rarely measure up to the DC Animated Universe of the 90s.
Knowing how obsessed with nostalgia you are you would probably put Batman Mystery of the Batwoman above Flashpoint Paradox and Batman Year 1 simply because it's DCAU. Heck you might even put Zeta Project above Young Justice simply because Zeta Project is DCAU. Talk about nostalgia overload.

NB. FACT - The Light completely DESTROYS both Luthor's Injustice League and Grodd's Secret Society from JL and JLU as a super villain organization. The Light is the greatest super villain alliance in all DC animated works.
Apr 11, 2015 5:23 AM

Aug 2013
Khaosman said:
That is the main problem with the american animation industry. Because of that stigma, people.....well those who consider themselves 'cool' or 'mature' tend to shun cartoons, making animation studios don't make any effort to churn out good shows that is accessible to everyone.
No that is not the problem. I have looked at the evolution of anime and western cartoons and I have noticed that there was no OVA boom for western cartoons like there was for anime. The OVA boom of the 80's helped create a consumer base (otakus) to drive the production of anime. It also allowed for the creation of anime with mature content that wouldn't be suitable to air on prime time. The success of the OVA boom laid the foundation for the success of late night anime business strategy. A lot more anime is constantly churned out than American cartoons because of otakus spending as much money as possible on DVDs, Blurays. American cartoons on the other hand make money mainly through tv ratings. The reason for the large amount of cartoons in the 90's was actually because of a ratings war. Demand for cartoons were high because Cartoon Network was a great threat to the Saturday morning cartoon blocks of non cable networks. Cartoon Network eventually won and the Saturday morning cartoon blocks are now a thing of the past. The death of the Saturday morning cartoon blocks caused a sharp decrease in the demand for cartoons in the 2000s.
Apr 11, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2015
It's just that America doesn't rely on animation for their economic growth unlike Japan so American cartoons can't measure up to Anime.
Apr 11, 2015 5:31 AM
Mar 2011
Psychedelios said:
It's just that America doesn't rely on animation for their economic growth unlike Japan so American cartoons can't measure up to Anime.

Toku makes 5 times what anime does form three franchises only

Apr 11, 2015 5:42 AM

Aug 2013
The OVA boom is what gave anime the serious edge. If the OVA boom never happened there would be no late night anime today. There would only be long series like Sazae- san, Doraemon, Shin Chan etc. and battle shonen anime. Before the rise of late night anime, anime was driven by tv ratings just like American cartoons that's why old anime tend to be more long running.
DrGeroCreationApr 11, 2015 5:45 AM
Apr 11, 2015 5:45 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
The OVA boom is what gave anime the serious edge. If the OVA boom never happened there would be no late night anime. There would only be long series like Sazae- san, Doraemon, Shin Chan etc. and battle shonen anime. Before the rise of late night anime, anime was driven by tv ratings just like American cartoons that's why old anime tend to be more long running.

late night naime has hurt anime while totlt profit are up profits per head [ anime] are lower

there was twhat id call shhort shown in the 70's look ofr you self

lomg runiing anme have big numbers of epiodes than us cartoon even if thye have benn runing less years conan ofr exmaple uniing 5 less less than thes pnions but has larger ep count

Apr 11, 2015 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
FGAU1912 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
The OVA boom is what gave anime the serious edge. If the OVA boom never happened there would be no late night anime. There would only be long series like Sazae- san, Doraemon, Shin Chan etc. and battle shonen anime. Before the rise of late night anime, anime was driven by tv ratings just like American cartoons that's why old anime tend to be more long running.

late night naime has hurt anime while totlt profit are up profits per head [ anime] are lower

lomg runiing anme have big numbers of epiodes than us cartoon even if thye have benn runing less years conan ofr exmaple uniing 5 less less than thes pnions but has larger ep count
I really doubt late night anime is hurting the anime industry financially. I know, Sazae - san has a higher episode count than any American cartoon.
Apr 11, 2015 5:54 AM
Mar 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
FGAU1912 said:

I really doubt late night anime is hurting the anime industry financially. I know, Sazae - san has a higher episode count than any American cartoon.

not only that one

what anime makes more precure or every late night anime ever

Apr 11, 2015 6:01 AM
Jun 2014
daintybiscuit said:

That's one thing the west has over anime, humor. Anime barely makes me laugh and if it does, I'll giggle.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 11, 2015 6:10 AM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
No that is not the problem. I have looked at the evolution of anime and western cartoons and I have noticed that there was no OVA boom for western cartoons like there was for anime. The OVA boom of the 80's helped create a consumer base (otakus) to drive the production of anime. It also allowed for the creation of anime with mature content that wouldn't be suitable to air on prime time. The success of the OVA boom laid the foundation for the success of late night anime business strategy. A lot more anime is constantly churned out than American cartoons because of otakus spending as much money as possible on DVDs, Blurays. American cartoons on the other hand make money mainly through tv ratings. The reason for the large amount of cartoons in the 90's was actually because of a ratings war. Demand for cartoons were high because Cartoon Network was a great threat to the Saturday morning cartoon blocks of non cable networks. Cartoon Network eventually won and the Saturday morning cartoon blocks are now a thing of the past. The death of the Saturday morning cartoon blocks caused a sharp decrease in the demand for cartoons in the 2000s.

Ah, that's very interesting, DrGeroCreation. What you said does make sense.
Apr 11, 2015 6:12 AM
Mar 2011
Lash_ said:
daintybiscuit said:

That's one thing the west has over anime, humor. Anime barely makes me laugh and if it does, I'll giggle.

i odnt find most western humor funny but i still loagh at shin chan and stuff like that

Apr 11, 2015 6:24 AM

May 2014
People here saying Adventure Time, Regular Show and Teen Titans know their shit.
I personally like all of them alot, there is this one serie that recently started airing called: Over the Golden Wall. I laughed my ass off at the first 2 episodes.

Edit: I see that someone else brought up over the garden wall already :p
KamSungApr 11, 2015 6:34 AM
Apr 11, 2015 6:31 AM

Jul 2013
amateur said:

I can give credit for trying. But honestly, I would take something more or less generic but entertaining to trying something and sucking.

Alas, its more of a tastes matter I guess. Everyone here grabs the best western cartoons and compares them to the worst of anime, it makes sense western cartoons win.
Apr 11, 2015 6:45 AM

Jan 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
RedRoseFring said:

I meant in comparison of TV series. Movies generally have more members, but anime series while having much less accumulate more ones because of the "chinese fucking cartoons" mindset.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Oct 2014
Soul-Master said:
Alas, its more of a tastes matter I guess. Everyone here grabs the best western cartoons and compares them to the worst of anime, it makes sense western cartoons win.

Well, if you DO compare the best of anime with the best of western cartoons, it can go either way. Let's say, comparing Batman: The Animated Series with Cowboy Bebop. Both are basically masterpieces, and while you'll find one show would top the other in a certain area, in the end, it will most likely come down to which one you think is slightly better. Personally, it's my favorite american cartoon vs my favorite anime and I find it impossible to make a decision on which is the better show.

Like you said, it all comes down to taste. You can either like anime or american cartoons more but there's no denying both have their fair share of wonderful and dreadful shows.
Apr 11, 2015 11:38 PM
Mar 2011
retrogamer32x said:
FGAU1912 said:

Most anime is for by Japanese law people that are classfied as kids Komodo is for young kids
by Japanese law you in fact cannot be tried as adult till 20 so knowing that Kids anime is more Extreme Kids cartoons could ever be

any seinen and Joshi or Mina anime are the only one not aimed at people who are legally speaking not Children [ by the legal letter of law]

FGAU, I would love to get your take on something as a Japanese fan if you're willing to give me your view on it. Was Tomino at all shocking (I know you weren't around back then, just speaking from your perspective now) even for his era, even with those shows being targeted at the broader Japanese "kids" demographic, that afforded him more wiggle room? I just can't see how something like Space Runaway Ideon or Zambot 3 didn't raise an eyebrow or two, although most of the graphic elements in Ideon are in Be Invoked.

i recon his stuff did raise a few eye brow or two it was gundam that made kids manga/anime to push more to what in the us would be not for kids sexualization has been in Kids shows [ i e shounen/shojo] since Sayaka in Mazinger Z and even neko chan in enma kun he;; evem cuty honey

Nagai began it all

Violence was never really an issue

Apr 11, 2015 11:46 PM

Jun 2014
Ed Edd N Eddy is already the greatest anime of all time, we were surpassed long ago
Apr 12, 2015 3:08 AM

Dec 2013
Khaosman said:
Malfegor said:

That is the main problem with the american animation industry. Because of that stigma, people.....well those who consider themselves 'cool' or 'mature' tend to shun cartoons, making animation studios don't make any effort to churn out good shows that is accessible to everyone. DC still does, though but the direct-to-DVD movies while not bad rarely measure up to the DC Animated Universe of the 90s.

I am glad someone remembered the 1940s Superman series. The animation for its time was groundbreaking and still holds up today. And in those days, writers actually CARED enough to not make Superman look like just a mere boy scout.

Damn, that video give's me a good nostalgia rush.
For whatever reason we had a couple of episodes on VHS when i was a kid.

It's really impressive how well the animation holds up (or maybe it's sad for todays animation?)

brb, gonna rewatch.
Apr 12, 2015 8:44 AM

Jun 2011
No. US cartoons are mostly for children. The only cartoon I liked was The Critic and it was cancelled. But then, there's stuff like South Park and Family Guy, I stopped watching them long time ago.
Apr 13, 2015 3:55 AM

Aug 2013
RedRoseFring said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I meant in comparison of TV series. Movies generally have more members, but anime series while having much less accumulate more ones because of the "chinese fucking cartoons" mindset.
I'm not seeing that at all. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory have way more ones than any anime. Batman TAS, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rocko's Modern Life, Adventure Time have more ones than anime like Sword Art Online, Mirai Nikki, Akame Ga Kill, Fairy Tail. The amount of ones is dependent on the number of users.
Apr 13, 2015 7:36 AM

Jun 2010
So FGAU1912, Fairy Tail is ranked 163 on MAL. You wanna know what's currently ranked 163 on IMDB? The Maltese Falcon the Bogart version. So please explain to me how IMDB's rating system is worse than MAL's again

I'm sure you'll say something like "Fairy Tail is better the Maltese Falcon because it sold way better or the ratings were higher" or some bullshit like that
SolidPayneApr 13, 2015 8:07 AM
Apr 13, 2015 7:44 AM

Jan 2015
no.

except Recess and Rocket Power. they were legit.
Apr 13, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2010
Rocket Power? That's the best you can come up with? No wonder you think American cartoons don't hold a candle to anime
Apr 13, 2015 9:08 AM
Apr 2015
Batman: The Animated Series is better than most of the anime I've watched IMHO
Apr 13, 2015 11:44 AM

Aug 2013

OP is a fool.
Apr 16, 2015 7:58 PM

Mar 2015
How dare you call me a fool without an excalibur reference. :P I think it all comes down to personal opinion. Adventure Time... It made me laugh... So.. yay.
Apr 16, 2015 8:15 PM

Nov 2011
I can think of plenty of western cartoons that are better than When they cry and Clannad.
Apr 16, 2015 9:20 PM

Jun 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
I can think of plenty of western cartoons that are better than When they cry and Clannad.

There's alot better out there than Nicholas Spark The anime series and yeah When They Cry isn't very good but to be fair just about every horror anime pretty much sucks
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
32 minutes ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
33 minutes ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
4 hours ago

» BEST WEEZER SONG???

removed-user - Jan 29

5 by Eternal_Rest »»
5 hours ago

» What sort of songs do you listen to ? ( 1 2 )

scarydragon - Aug 1, 2023

52 by Eternal_Rest »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.