Forum Settings
Forums

Game of Thrones Season 5 General Discussion and Comparison to Books

New
Mar 29, 2015 5:08 PM

Mar 2012

The trailer

Interviews! Awesome people!

Which story interests you the most? I'm personally looking for more Greyjoys, some more Daenerys shit backfiring.

Offically we now have 3 POVs in Essos, Arya, Dany and Tyrion so hopefully we got more world building there!

Edit: Book Discussions are ALLOWED
MikasaJul 10, 2015 1:50 PM
End Zionazism
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 29, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2013
Why is Bran a choice when he won´t have screen time this season?

Jon, Jaime, Arya and Tyrion are my favs. Can´t wait to see them.

The Martells <3. Hopefully the actors will be as great as Pedro Pascal was as Oberyn.
Mar 29, 2015 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
Pls no spoilies :)

Oh Bran won't be there? I heard this season will be both book 4 and 5?
Same with S6?

Anyway, yeah the Martells are great.

I'm reading Clash of Kings, tbh far more interesting than S2 was and I loved that season. The Greyjoy world is more interesting there. Qarth is more fleshed out (despite having very few chapters)

Problem I had with S4 is that it practically killed off all the villains, Tywin and Joffrey are gone, who are gonna be the new players? New villains? I presume Boltons and Greyjoys will rise to power.... I like the idea of minor characters slowly climbing to the top in terms of importance. I still think the finale had its flaws (at least in the show)
End Zionazism
Mar 29, 2015 5:37 PM

Oct 2012
I want moar Arya!!! I fucking love her!! And the actress is just soo fucking nice and adorable!! <3
Mar 29, 2015 5:55 PM

Jan 2015
Jon Snow ofc. I can't tell you more because spoilers :3
Mar 29, 2015 6:09 PM

Apr 2013
Jon Snow obviously. Everyone else bores me to tears. Beyond the wall story best story.
Mar 29, 2015 6:12 PM

Jul 2013
Mikasa said:
Pls no spoilies :)

Oh Bran won't be there? I heard this season will be both book 4 and 5?
Same with S6?

Anyway, yeah the Martells are great.

I'm reading Clash of Kings, tbh far more interesting than S2 was and I loved that season. The Greyjoy world is more interesting there. Qarth is more fleshed out (despite having very few chapters)

Problem I had with S4 is that it practically killed off all the villains, Tywin and Joffrey are gone, who are gonna be the new players? New villains? I presume Boltons and Greyjoys will rise to power.... I like the idea of minor characters slowly climbing to the top in terms of importance. I still think the finale had its flaws (at least in the show)

Don´t worry, this will be spoiler free.
Can´t say how much this season will cover in book material, especially since it will apparently diverge from the books in many ways.

I love both the books and the show. I don´t think its necessary to compare them, since they both achieve great merits.

About Villains: I would argue that there ain´t villains in here. If I had to name one as the great villain, then it would certainly be the one, great and only Littlefinger.
Mar 29, 2015 9:21 PM

Jan 2014
King's Landing is always where it's at, plus I can't wait for Cersei to get what's coming to her, no matter how long it takes.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 7, 2015 3:27 PM

Dec 2013
Arya master race.
Apr 7, 2015 3:28 PM
Oct 2011
The Martells:
Apr 7, 2015 6:10 PM

Dec 2012
Everything on King's Landing, to me the most interesting location. Though with Joffrey and Tywin dead, I don't know if it'll keep the magic.

I seem to have the unpopular opinion Jon Snow is super boring, hmn.
Apr 8, 2015 9:51 AM

Oct 2012
Excited to see the first episode again on my computer screen. I feel pretty fortunate for being gifted free HBO Go for the year, and I intend to use it dammit. :D
Apr 8, 2015 10:36 PM
May 2011
daenerys
Apr 9, 2015 2:33 AM

Jul 2013
toyall123 said:
Excited to see the first episode again on my computer screen. I feel pretty fortunate for being gifted free HBO Go for the year, and I intend to use it dammit. :D

Damn you are a lucky one.

And the Martells look nice imo. Pedro Pascal was an odd choice but he played Oberyn brilliantly, so I trust their judgement.
Apr 9, 2015 4:31 AM

Oct 2013
I'm worried about season 5 after hearing about this

During an appearance at the Oxford Union, "Thrones" creators David Benioff and Daniel Brett Weiss confirmed that the series will eventually overtake its source material, and feature plotlines that haven't been published yet -- potentially years before Martin finishes writing and releasing the last two tomes in the book series. Benioff fielded a question about the possibility of book spoilers by explaining that showrunners have been in close contact with Martin to discuss the strategy for such an occurrence, but added succinctly, "The show must go on."

Like WTF? Are you trying to ruin the show? Now I'm not sure how far they are but I'm pretty sure that they aren't THAT far they need to bloody go AHEAD of the book.

Why the fuck man?

I hope to god they can pull it off nad its STILL amazing but whenever any company does that to any type of of media. It fucks up! So I'm sure this will mess up!

I mean okay. I get it. There catching up REALLY fast and can't just put the show on hiatus because Martin is really slow at righting. but sill man. I dont want this show to be ruined.

Source:
http://news.moviefone.com/2015/03/23/game-of-thrones-will-spoil-end-george-r-r-martin-series/
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 9, 2015 10:19 AM

Oct 2012
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Like WTF? Are you trying to ruin the show? Now I'm not sure how far they are but I'm pretty sure that they aren't THAT far they need to bloody go AHEAD of the book.

Why the fuck man?

I hope to god they can pull it off nad its STILL amazing but whenever any company does that to any type of of media. It fucks up! So I'm sure this will mess up!

I mean okay. I get it. There catching up REALLY fast and can't just put the show on hiatus because Martin is really slow at righting. but sill man. I dont want this show to be ruined.

This has been known for quite some time now. Benioff and Weiss have been preparing for this scenario over the course of many years through increasingly larger deviations, and many critics (and surprisingly many book fans too) agree that most of their deviations were very solid. According to what I saw of the first episode and what the critics have been saying, Benioff and Weiss seem very confident in what they are doing. I strongly believe GoT will continue to be great.

Also, I want to add that based on what many book fans on the GoT forums have said, Books 4 and 5 do not seem to be too heavy in content and it can be streamlined into one season if need be. Heck, I heard that some characters on the show already reached the end of their published material. Much of the last two books deal with side plots that may not have a tremendous impact on the end goal, so Benioff and Weiss has to prune them out to avoid overbloating.

If it still worries you, GoT is confirmed to have the same ending as the ASOIAF book series (though that will inevitably hurt the book readers), just the route there will be different. Benioff and Weiss have repeatedly claimed that they plan for GoT to only go seven seasons, so even if they were to stumble on the new material, it won't damage the show much.
Apr 9, 2015 2:22 PM

Oct 2012
Oh I would also like to add that it is confirmed the major character arcs will follow that of the books. Because the author gave the show creators the general arcs and trajectories of the major characters, there is no need to worry about significant deviations. Major deviations will mainly apply to side plots.
Apr 9, 2015 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
toyall123 said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Why the fuck man?

This has been known for quite some time now. Benioff and Weiss have been preparing for this scenario over the course of many years through increasingly larger deviations, and many critics (and surprisingly many book fans too) agree that most of their deviations were very solid. According to what I saw of the first episode and what the critics have been saying, Benioff and Weiss seem very confident in what they are doing. I strongly believe GoT will continue to be great.

Also, I want to add that based on what many book fans on the GoT forums have said, Books 4 and 5 do not seem to be too heavy in content and it can be streamlined into one season if need be. Heck, I heard that some characters on the show already reached the end of their published material. Much of the last two books deal with side plots that may not have a tremendous impact on the end goal, so Benioff and Weiss has to prune them out to avoid overbloating.

If it still worries you, GoT is confirmed to have the same ending as the ASOIAF book series (though that will inevitably hurt the book readers), just the route there will be different. Benioff and Weiss have repeatedly claimed that they plan for GoT to only go seven seasons, so even if they were to stumble on the new material, it won't damage the show much.

This plus what you said in the next post.

Even though Martin won't actuall write an episode in this season, unlike previous ones, he still remains as a consultant and is in touch with Benioff and Weiss.
Its extremely unlikely general arcs, plotlines and events will differ from how Martin planned them, so there is no need to worry.
Apr 9, 2015 3:43 PM

Oct 2013
Democracy said:
I want moar Arya!!! I fucking love her!! And the actress is just soo fucking nice and adorable!! <3
Apr 9, 2015 5:59 PM
Oct 2011
toyall123 said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Why the fuck man?

In other words: The 4th and 5th books are too fucking boring and uneventful. That's why Benioff and Weiss are doing things this way, and hopefully it's gonna work much better.
Apr 9, 2015 6:00 PM

Apr 2013
O N I O N B O Y Z
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 9, 2015 6:08 PM

Jun 2012
Nimble Dick.

Jon whining about provisions and not having enough men to spread around the watch is going to be SO entertaining.
Apr 9, 2015 6:49 PM

Dec 2014
I was going to try and catch up just in time for the new season, but I can't be bothered and I'd rather watch anime.
Apr 9, 2015 6:54 PM

Feb 2009
There are so many storylines that I am looking forward to (Haven't read the books, not sure I want to until the TV series maybe gets ahead of it, I like being shocked by the show).

I'm looking forward to Tyrion and Varys most of all though, Tyrion's storyline has always been my favorite. However, I am looking forward to Jon Snow, Arya, the Martells, Daenerys, Jorah and Littlefinger and Sansa. The others I don't care too much about, although I've heard that Cersei's gets good.

Maybe we'll finally see where Gendry and The Blackfish are, I was dissapointed neither of them showed up last season!
Apr 9, 2015 8:00 PM

Oct 2013
Candor said:
toyall123 said:

In other words: The 4th and 5th books are too fucking boring and uneventful. That's why Benioff and Weiss are doing things this way, and hopefully it's gonna work much better.

Well I hope all of yall are right. This better stay insane!

I wanna see what my favourite character, Arya, is up to.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 9, 2015 8:29 PM

Oct 2012
Candor said:

I recently read some of the reviews of the upcoming season from the critics who read the books (like Time's and Salon's), and there appears to be a general consensus that Benioff and Weiss did a very impressive job with streamlining the content (at least for the episodes they saw, that is). While they had one or two things they wished made it on the show (like Arianne Martell), they conceded that Benioff and Weiss did an excellent job overall and made solid judgment calls regarding the books' many story lines.
Apr 9, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2012
They're not using the Arianne/ Arys story? I wonder how they'll go about the whole Darkstar and Myrcella thing then.

Kipcha said:
There are so many storylines that I am looking forward to (Haven't read the books, not sure I want to until the TV series maybe gets ahead of it, I like being shocked by the show).

I'm looking forward to Tyrion and Varys most of all though, Tyrion's storyline has always been my favorite. However, I am looking forward to Jon Snow, Arya, the Martells, Daenerys, Jorah and Littlefinger and Sansa. The others I don't care too much about, although I've heard that Cersei's gets good.

Maybe we'll finally see where Gendry and The Blackfish are, I was dissapointed neither of them showed up last season!
Yeah Cersei gonna be good.

I wonder if they'll keep the Varys story going in the show, it wouldn't be as fun without him.
Apr 9, 2015 10:39 PM

Oct 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
They're not using the Arianne/ Arys story? I wonder how they'll go about the whole Darkstar and Myrcella thing then.

I wonder if they'll keep the Varys story going in the show, it wouldn't be as fun without him.

From what I read from the reviews, it seems the writers are incorporating elements from abandoned story lines into others, merging some characters (like Gendry/Edric), and speeding up the pace of certain story lines while removing some of the side plots (notably with Tyrion's storyline in AFFC and ADWD).

The book readers who watched the first four episodes seem content with the changes, but they are only a small portion of the viewing audience (an understatement) and they've only watched a portion of the season, so who knows if most book readers will feel the same way.
Apr 9, 2015 10:59 PM

Jun 2012
toyall123 said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:

From what I read from the reviews, it seems the writers are incorporating elements from abandoned story lines into others, merging some characters (like Gendry/Edric), and speeding up the pace of certain story lines while removing some of the side plots (notably with Tyrion's storyline in AFFC and ADWD).

The book readers who watched the first four episodes seem content with the changes, but they are only a small portion of the viewing audience (an understatement) and they've only watched a portion of the season, so who knows if most book readers will feel the same way.
They've already merged Gendry and Edric, so that doesn't come as a surprise. Tyrion's story I thought was paced rather well in DwD, I wonder what they will be doing to cut through it.
Book purists already have stuff like Xaro and Jojen to whine about, I can't see why people would be so critical of deviations now when they've always been present in the story.
mclovinballz said:
John Snow gets stabbed by the night's watch
With a bundle of carrots.
Because he's so worried they wont have enough food to last through the winter.
Apr 10, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
toyall123 said:

They've already merged Gendry and Edric, so that doesn't come as a surprise. Tyrion's story I thought was paced rather well in DwD, I wonder what they will be doing to cut through it.
Book purists already have stuff like Xaro and Jojen to whine about, I can't see why people would be so critical of deviations now when they've always been present in the story.

Will Gendry return in Season 5?. I saw the actor in the credits, but I can't say for sure. They merged his story with Edric, who has absolutely nothing after being freed by Davos.
Apr 10, 2015 10:27 AM

Jan 2013
lol u guys and your obsession with medieval porn
Apr 10, 2015 6:34 PM

Oct 2012
DoctorCaim said:
lol u guys and your obsession with medieval porn

Damn straight ^o^
Apr 12, 2015 9:07 AM
Nov 2013
First four episodes were leaked online, quick get to the chopper!
Apr 12, 2015 9:10 AM

Jan 2015
Rezar said:
First four episodes were leaked online, quick get to the chopper!

so excited! got the new beer. muwahhahaha.
Apr 12, 2015 9:56 AM
Apr 2015
toyall123 said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Why the fuck man?

The problem is that the show cut lot of parts out from book 2 and 3. And there were important parts. One of the annoying thing is that the show is kind of skipping over the Iron Islands which is bad because that part is important and will play a big role. I actually hope the show focuses on Iron Islands and Dorne like book 4 and keep the timeline up to date. Its because the timeline is all over the place with the Iron Islands they covered only book 2 parts but then with Bran they went beyond book 5 and other part of the stories they just finished book 3. They have to bring back the iron islands and their part up to date. The show has to slow it down because they are rushing things and messing up the story. GOT is not just about shocking deaths, there are other interesting elements to it and the show is cutting everything out and is just focusing on the shocking deaths.

And P.S. Ramsay Bolton makes Joffrey look like a cute bunny. In the book that guy is a complete psychopath and the things he does is just crazy. And the show focused too much on trying to make Joffrey evil. Joffrey was evil but it was more complicated then that. He was more of an idiot at the same time and not as cruel as the show made him out to be such as adding the scene where he kills the whore which never happens.
Apr 12, 2015 11:18 AM
Oct 2011
^ The Iron Islands chapters are so fucking boring though. The characters there are too boring, pointless, and just seem like fodder characters to just "build the world". They have no place in the series so far and all the conflicts they're trying to create are pointless and full of utter bullshit.

Yes, that's how frustrating those chapters were, 10s of hours of boredom and in the end they lead to literally nothing, so far. The 4th book is the worst book of the series with and it's not even close because of the Greyjoys.

And wow, there are actually 4 episodes leaked. Don't think I'm gonna watch them all after each other just to save something for the next weeks.
Candor123Apr 12, 2015 11:21 AM
Apr 12, 2015 11:25 AM

Mar 2012
Candor said:
^ The Iron Islands chapters are so fucking boring though. The characters there are too boring, pointless, and just seem like fodder characters to just "build the world". They have no place in the series so far and all the conflicts they're trying to create are pointless and full of utter bullshit.

Yes, that's how frustrating those chapters were, 10s of hours of boredom and in the end they lead to literally nothing, so far. The 4th book is the worst book of the series with and it's not even close because of the Greyjoys.

And wow, there are actually 4 episodes leaked. Don't think I'm gonna watch them all after each other just to save something for the next weeks.

I couldn't care less about damp hair, the problem is that they cut Young Griff.
Apr 12, 2015 12:21 PM
Jun 2014
I've read the books. Basically, John Wick tracks down Theon into the Game of Thrones world and kills him again.

Don't mess with John Wick's dog

'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 12, 2015 2:12 PM

Jun 2012
Lash_ said:
I've read the books. Basically, John Wick tracks down Theon into the Game of Thrones world and kills him again.

John Wick can go screw himself he had no right to kill Alfie twice.
Apr 12, 2015 2:52 PM
Jun 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Lash_ said:

John Wick can go screw himself he had no right to kill Alfie twice.

Wick could gun fu the whole of the Game of Thrones clast :D
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 12, 2015 7:51 PM

Apr 2013
watching episode 3 and margery's a cunning bitch. a hot one too.
Apr 13, 2015 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
Episode 4 was fucking amazing *-*
Apr 13, 2015 3:48 AM

Mar 2015
NudeBear said:

dat bed scene with Tommen

I really don't like whom Varys is supporting now...it doesn't make sense ;(

The first four episodes were a bit too easy and uneventful imo,but for the most part it's good so far.Even most of the changes bother me too much right now,because I want to see the "bigger picture" first.
Apr 13, 2015 10:32 AM

Oct 2012
HeroKenzan20 said:
NudeBear said:

We saw his allegiance in the first season. He was talking with Illyrio Mopatis in the dungeon about the Targaryens, while Arya was spying on them.
Apr 13, 2015 10:40 AM

Mar 2015
[quote=HeroKenzan20]
NudeBear said:

The first four episodes were a bit too easy and uneventful imo,but for the most part it's good so far.Even most of the changes bother me too much right now,because I want to see the "bigger picture" first.

True. The story is moving slowly for now it seems, but knowing this series we are probably gonna see that change after the 5th episode.
【=◈︿◈=】

私はちょうど何が重要か見つけようとしている。
Apr 13, 2015 10:51 AM

Mar 2015
toyall123 said:
HeroKenzan20 said:

We saw his allegiance in the first season. He was talking with Illyrio Mopatis in the dungeon about the Targaryens, while Arya was spying on them.

Answering this would be a spoiler so I can't do it in this thread ;(
Apr 13, 2015 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
sansa marrying ramsay
what
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 13, 2015 3:16 PM

Jan 2014
The openings in this show are just godlike.

The episode was a bit slow, but overall decent. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
"Down along under Hill, shining in the sunlight. Waiting on the doorstep for the cold starlight."
Apr 13, 2015 3:18 PM

Jan 2015
Candor said:

Well, although I don't like Victarion and Aeron, Euron looks interesting. They could atleast show us the kingsmoot at Old Wyk or something like that :(

Apr 14, 2015 7:32 AM

Mar 2014
I am interested in what happens in King's Landing, I sense there will be something like a clash between Margaery and Cersei. I'd like to see what happens with Daenerys' locked dragons too. And the Martells of course (I haven't read the books but maybe they will be as awesome as Oberyn <3).
My favorite characters are Jaime, Jon and Tyrion.

Btw not sure but I think I saw on tv that Bran would like to focus on his studies this year so he's not participating.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

40 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» What album have you listened to the most this year?

MeanMrMusician - Mar 9

24 by m_alhafidz »»
2 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

20 by m_alhafidz »»
2 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

37 by Zedlin »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7667 by Zedlin »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.