Forum Settings
Forums

Why Do People Think Skipping Arcs and Episodes Is Bad? (Discussion About Chronological Order)

New
Mar 27, 2015 2:58 PM

Mar 2012
Many fans seem to try to consider that only by watching an episode according to the set number of episodes, can you actually "know", "enjoy" or "watch" the show in a legitimate way.

Here's why it's incorrect

1) Chronological order: First off, if someone skips an arc or an episode, then comes back to it later, it's as if the same show had a different chronological order. If for example, a show with traditional order is uninteresting, one can switch up the order, make it somewhat like LOST, and make it more interesting.

Personally, I do this with long runners, whenever they get boring, I Google some interesting scenes, way ahead in episodes, and it usually keeps me hooked. Like "I wanna watch what leads up to that"

2) If the particular part is completely irrelevant and not entertaining, in which case it can be completely skipped. If some bits of it where of importance, it can be read in a summary or some other medium. Just to collect the important data without suffering through the stretched out content.

Personally, I did this with Bleach, I skipped the entire Urahara flashback and just googled whatever importance it had. (which was little)

This has actually been Tested as I've tried first with an arc called Thriller Bark of One Piece, I skipped it and went straight to the other arc, but to play the devil's advocate, I went back and watched it, and it added no new experiences to the overall story.

What do you think? Do you always stick to the episode count?
How do you deem something as "inconsequential"?

MikasaMar 27, 2015 3:06 PM
End Zionazism
Mar 27, 2015 3:05 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Mikasa said:

What do you think? Do you always stick to the episode count?

Yes, I couldn't mark it as 'completed' otherwise.

As for chronological order, I usually stick with release date, even for shows that purposefully have the chronological order all mixed up, like Kara no Kyoukai.
Mar 27, 2015 3:06 PM

Aug 2013
You can watch things in whatever order you want.

Some people probably take issue with the fact that in doing so you aren't actually 'completing' the show unless you actually watch the show. Purists.

I honestly don't care but it's easier for me to stick to chronological order because it's the intended order and skipping around means I'd have to keep track of what episodes I skipped by outside means.

But even if there was a 'skip episode' feature on mal I'd probably rarely if ever use it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
it is considered odd because people like to stick to the tradition of doing things in order. A piece of fiction is supposed to make most sense when taken in in the specific order it has been sorted into by the producers. I skipped an arc or two whilst watching Fairy Tail because I really believed it was completely irrelevant to whatever takes place thereafter. although, it didn't turn out that way. I missed some references that were made simply because I hadn't watched those arcs. The third urge to skip an arc made me drop that anime. If parts continue to bore you, why is there need to watch it until the end?
huehuheh
Mar 27, 2015 3:14 PM

Dec 2012
The only show I would say skipping the arc is a good idea is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Never-ending summer arc can go to hell.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Mar 27, 2015 3:23 PM

Apr 2013
Crimefridge said:
The only show I would say skipping the arc is a good idea is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

^^^^^^^^^
huehuheh
Mar 27, 2015 3:27 PM

Aug 2014
i only skip filler
Mar 27, 2015 3:27 PM

Aug 2014
Fuck chronological order.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:31 PM

Dec 2012
Greedling123 said:
i only skip filler

My golden rule.
Mar 27, 2015 3:33 PM

Dec 2014
Because anime is supposed to be entertainment. If you really wonder what happens in the story you can just go check their wiki. Dismissing entire episodes because they were not written in comics is ridiculous. Things do not become awful just because they were not in manga. What are you gonna do about shows where there is no manga before? Skip the entire thing?

Anime has its own continuity. All those episodes are part of it. And they make sense in chronological order. Anime only episodes are entertaining too.

If the show is episodic like tom and jerry, there is no need to follow anything, though.
Mar 27, 2015 3:33 PM

Dec 2007
Crimefridge said:

Ironically, the first series is a perfect example of how wonderful nonlinear storytelling can be. The main reason I don't own a US release is because they only included broadcast order in the special edition, and the show isn't worth that much. But I love how it, like the film Memento, was set up so that it could be watched in multiple different orders.

As for skipping arcs: I don't do it, but don't malign it if the arc provides nothing (ie: filler). Skipping important material and saying it's complete, however, is kind of cheating.

For caring about order. I don't care about chronology. Many films and series explicitly defy that basic order. And if they're written to do so, you get more by following the intended path. That being said, watching outside the intended order for a non-episodic series will tend to result in a reduced experience as you get what would otherwise seem like asspulls, plot holes, and other forms of lazy writing due to missing the foreshadowing, development, and cues. If you complain about bad writing, you should be watching in the intended order. If you don't care: knock yourself out.
Mar 27, 2015 3:35 PM

Sep 2014
I don't skip arcs, except arcs like the ones in One Piece that are setups for movies and such
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Mar 27, 2015 3:36 PM

Feb 2013
Mikasa said:
This has actually been Tested as I've tried first with an arc called Thriller Bark of One Piece, I skipped it and went straight to the other arc, but to play the devil's advocate, I went back and watched it, and it added no new experiences to the overall story.

Wasn't it odd seeing that they suddenly acquired a skeleton?

Mikasa said:
Personally, I did this with Bleach, I skipped the entire Urahara flashback and just googled whatever importance it had. (which was little)

I skipped this in both the manga and the anime and never looked back (never even looked up what happened). Never felt like I missed a thing.
Mar 27, 2015 3:37 PM

Mar 2012
Greedling123 said:
i only skip filler

and filler can mean unnecessary content even if written by the original author.

superficial said:
it is considered odd because people like to stick to the tradition of doing things in order. A piece of fiction is supposed to make most sense when taken in in the specific order it has been sorted into by the producers. I skipped an arc or two whilst watching Fairy Tail because I really believed it was completely irrelevant to whatever takes place thereafter. although, it didn't turn out that way. I missed some references that were made simply because I hadn't watched those arcs. The third urge to skip an arc made me drop that anime. If parts continue to bore you, why is there need to watch it until the end?

What if there are good parts in the future? A B C, A and C are still good? Skip B!
End Zionazism
Mar 27, 2015 3:38 PM

Aug 2014
Guess applicable for long stuff.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:39 PM
Aug 2014
If someone wants to skip some filler that's fine, but I also understand those that refuse to do that. While filler is not important to the overall plot, a lot of shows use filler episodes for character development, so it can result in missing out on backstory and whatnot.

Honestly, people should do what they gotta do to enjoy what they're watching/reading. If that means skipping a little content, so be it.
Mar 27, 2015 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
gedata said:
Mikasa said:

Wasn't it odd seeing that they suddenly acquired a skeleton?

Mikasa said:

I skipped this in both the manga and the anime and never looked back (never even looked up what happened). Never felt like I missed a thing.

Nope, just a different member, googled his fruit, and there it was.
End Zionazism
Mar 27, 2015 3:41 PM

Feb 2013
Mikasa said:
Greedling123 said:
i only skip filler

superficial said:

What if there are good parts in the future? A B C, A and C are still good? Skip B!

And if skipping to C throws out important build up from B? Granted skipping entire arcs of OP might not be that impactful, but we are talking about story telling in general.

Pretty sure I'd just drop a show if it has entire arcs that I feel tempted to skip.
gedataMar 27, 2015 3:45 PM
Mar 27, 2015 3:41 PM

Dec 2014
NoblePhantaZm said:
If someone wants to skip some filler that's fine, but I also understand those that refuse to do that. While filler is not important to the overall plot, a lot of shows use filler episodes for character development, so it can result in missing out on backstory and whatnot.

Honestly, people should do what they gotta do to enjoy what they're watching/reading. If that means skipping a little content, so be it.

Yeah, i mean why should we only care about the overall plot and main characters?
Mar 27, 2015 3:44 PM
Aug 2014
cenkiss said:
NoblePhantaZm said:

Yeah, i mean why should we only care about the overall plot and main characters?

You can still easily get all that even when skipping filler content, especially in the case of long running shounen. Again, it's solely up to the person themselves, and they should not be shamed for wanting to watch anime/read manga how they want to.
Mar 27, 2015 3:46 PM

Mar 2012
gedata said:
Mikasa said:

And if skipping to C throws out important build up from B? Granted skipping entire arcs of OP might not be that impactful, but we are talking about story telling in general.

Pretty sure I'd just drop a show if it has entire arcs that I feel tempted to skip.

That's never the case with one piece, nothing is too important most of the time

and that's what I did
End Zionazism
Mar 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Oct 2010
It's not bad, it's just something stupid to do if you want to keep a debate in equal conditions.
Mar 27, 2015 3:57 PM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
It's not bad, it's just something stupid to do if you want to keep a debate in equal conditions.

What? Someone who's smarter, at least enough to not be bothered by Chron. order is unequal in discussion?
End Zionazism
Mar 27, 2015 4:16 PM

Nov 2010
I like to keep things organized, so I watch in order it was aired.
Mar 27, 2015 4:22 PM

Oct 2010
Mikasa said:
jal90 said:

What? Someone who's smarter, at least enough to not be bothered by Chron. order is unequal in discussion?

Pacing and cause-effect are relevant things in fiction, you know. If you are smart enough you should be able to have that into account.
jal90Mar 27, 2015 4:25 PM
Mar 27, 2015 4:27 PM

Jun 2014
SKIPPING ONE PIECE EPISODES!!!!!!!!!??????????

Yeah Thriller Bark was an average arc nothing special, the only highlight was Zoro getting...
All credit goes to Sacred.
Mar 27, 2015 4:27 PM

Sep 2012
I should have done the same with Lost, maybe I would have liked it more.

But seriously, It happened a lot of time before the internet era. You were forced to watch the show on the TV, and sometimes, it could happen you weren't available when the show was airing, so you missed some episodes. The order I first watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z was so chaotic that I can't even remember it. That stuff also happened for series that I've been following since a long time like the big 3, it happened that I skipped some stuff as things weren't available as easily in the early 00's as they are nowadays. For One Piece, when I started to read it online, some arcs weren't translated, so I read Water Seven even before I was done with Skypiea. For HxH, I skipped most of Heaven's Arena, watched the beginning of Yorknew and watch and completed Greed Island even before I completed Yorknew.

It's not impossible to do, but not recommended, there might be some plot points or references that you would miss, and if it's not impossible to fill in the blanks, it just adds some useless annoyance while watching the show. So the pleasure you have might not be as strong as if you watched chronologically. Also, when you come back to the previous episodes, there might be some stuff that would get spoiled for you. So again, it's something that would interfere with your enjoyment.

Today, it's only something you would consider with shows you don't like.
SetsukoHaraMar 27, 2015 4:32 PM
Mar 27, 2015 4:28 PM
Aug 2014
jal90 said:
Mikasa said:

Pacing and cause-effect are relevant things in fiction, you know. If you are smart enough you should be able to have that into account.

You're not wrong, but the unfortunate reality with fictional media sometimes is that it gets bloated to sell more/last longer. It's just a fact of life that content is added to things simply for financial reasons, not the integrity of the story. It's this content that can usually be skipped or looked over without really losing anything of real importance.
Mar 27, 2015 4:32 PM

Oct 2010
NoblePhantaZm said:
jal90 said:

You're not wrong, but the unfortunate reality with fictional media sometimes is that it gets bloated to sell more/last longer. It's just a fact of life that content is added to things simply for financial reasons, not the integrity of the story. It's this content that can usually be skipped or looked over without really losing anything of real importance.

Of course, but Mikasa is talking about skipping content before knowing if it's going to be plot relevant, or even if it is, under an absurdly wrong idea that presentation doesn't matter at all and therefore any chronological order can make a story work in the same way.

Then again and as said, I don't want to criticize anybody if they want to do this, but when discussing with other people who have actually watched the stuff in the supposed order and content, they are at an essential disadvantage. Maybe they can make up for it, but it's very unlikely.
Mar 27, 2015 4:36 PM
Aug 2014
jal90 said:

Of course, but Mikasa is talking about skipping content before knowing if it's going to be plot relevant, or even if it is, under an absurdly wrong idea that presentation doesn't matter at all and therefore any chronological order can make a story work in the same way.

Then again and as said, I don't want to criticize anybody if they want to do this, but when discussing with other people who have actually watched the stuff in the supposed order and content, they are at an essential disadvantage. Maybe they can make up for it, but it's very unlikely.

Oh well of course it would be foolish to skip content before knowing if it's going to be of importance or not, but for a lot of anime/manga that are renown for "filler" content, you can often find fan organized lists of episodes/chapters that can safely be skipped. Yeah, you're putting your faith in others, but it's a safe enough bet to take, especially if something is popular enough for people to care if the list is correct. I did this with Inuyasha recently, cause I've been thinking about rewatching it lately.

Otherwise if you don't have any knowledge of what's ok to skip or not, then no I would never recommend doing that.
Mar 27, 2015 4:37 PM

Jan 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
SKIPPING ONE PIECE EPISODES!!!!!!!!!??????????

Yeah Thriller Bark was an average arc nothing special, the only highlight was Zoro getting...

Skytopia and the pirate games one was pretty boring too
Puzzle Time, When is my birthday? 22-8-222/
9-666-3
5-66-4-3-3/
9-666-3
666-8-666-3
666-8-666-3
44-8-444-3/
Answer is on profile but see if you can figure it out first! HINT: KEYBOARD

Mar 27, 2015 5:21 PM

Feb 2014
I don't understand. Maybe it's because long-running series (i.e. The Big Three) aren't my thing but I think it's stupid to say, "Oh you didn't watch that one filler episode where X and Y saved a dog your opinions on this series and anything about it are irrelevant."

Likewise, I think if the filler episode gives some actual depth to a character, not something that basically just reinforces something you already know (i.e. The hero saved a guy that one filler episode, he's a good guy when you already know he's good), then that could be something you actually should watch because it's "good filler". But most fillers don't really offer anything of value from what I can tell.

Mar 27, 2015 5:38 PM

Nov 2014
Skipping is bad mainly because you have no idea how the story will work and go. If you have no idea about Madoka Magica, watch the first episode and say "wow this is boring, I want to know what her wish is!", then skip to episode 11 or 12, you would be a very confused man.

Filler content is okay to skip, they add nothing to the main plot, but skipping main arcs of a long running anime is bad. While the strawhats won't probably be going to find One Piece anytime soon, the main reason it is so long is to enjoy the journey to finding it. It's something like that.
You would basically be ignoring the directing, writing, and delivery, ignoring everything else and just focusing on the conclusion. Which is bad.

Still, it's your way. I won't actually count an anime completed if I've done it like that, but you can go watch anime however you like.

Mar 27, 2015 5:54 PM

Dec 2012
I have absolutely no problem with skipping filler and recaps and still marking it complete. I rarely ever have to do it though.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 27, 2015 6:02 PM

Mar 2015
I'll skip fillers. Nearly every time. Between Naruto and Bleach I probably saved about 30+ hours by skipping content that didn't matter to the overarching storyline.

Mar 28, 2015 2:01 AM

Dec 2014
AzureDaora said:
Skipping is bad mainly because you have no idea how the story will work and go. If you have no idea about Madoka Magica, watch the first episode and say "wow this is boring, I want to know what her wish is!", then skip to episode 11 or 12, you would be a very confused man.

Filler content is okay to skip, they add nothing to the main plot, but skipping main arcs of a long running anime is bad. While the strawhats won't probably be going to find One Piece anytime soon, the main reason it is so long is to enjoy the journey to finding it. It's something like that.
You would basically be ignoring the directing, writing, and delivery, ignoring everything else and just focusing on the conclusion. Which is bad.

Still, it's your way. I won't actually count an anime completed if I've done it like that, but you can go watch anime however you like.

Why is this main content so precious? How do you know that you won't enjoy those other episodes? Anime original episodes can be funny or focusing on less known characters, or simply just another adventure in one piece's case. All are enjoyable.
Mar 28, 2015 2:04 AM

Apr 2014
Of course, like jump straight to algebra when you don't even know equation.
Mar 28, 2015 2:34 AM
Mar 2015
superficial said:

I hear ya. Whenever I start wanting to skip stuff (in an anime or book, movie etc), it's not long before I put it away forgood.
Mar 28, 2015 2:36 AM

Aug 2013
tr1ckst3r said:
Of course, like jump straight to algebra when you don't even know equation.
Yeah basically running before you learn to walk. Skipping episodes and just watching randomly is only really good when watching a pure episodic show like Space Dandy considering each episode has a different plot. It's better to watch shows with main plots in order so as to help you better follow the story. Watching main plot shows out of order can cause you to be majorly spoiled or confused.
Mar 28, 2015 2:38 AM

Dec 2007
It's not bad but marking it complete when you skipped a whole portion of the show doesn't really define the word complete. By your logic I can mark every anime completed if I've read the manga and watched a few episodes of the anime...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
9 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
10 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
15 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
16 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.