Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2009 11:23 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I love the more serious tone this season has. It doesn't feel so much like a parody of fantasy anymore, instead Slayers is starting to feel more like a legitimate fantasy anime... and a damn good one at that.

"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 10, 2011 7:18 PM

Jun 2010
I don't understand where you're coming from. The two story arcs in the first series were definitely straight fantasy stories. "Defeat the resurrection of the Dark Lord" and "defeat the crazy wizard" are pretty classic pulp fantasy stories.

And Slayers was never a very strong parody of fantasy, more of a fantasy story with frequent humor included.
Jun 10, 2011 7:40 PM

Jun 2009
Fronzel said:
I don't understand where you're coming from. The two story arcs in the first series were definitely straight fantasy stories. "Defeat the resurrection of the Dark Lord" and "defeat the crazy wizard" are pretty classic pulp fantasy stories.

And Slayers was never a very strong parody of fantasy, more of a fantasy story with frequent humor included.

It's been said many a time that Slayers is a parody of Dungeons and Dragons.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 11, 2011 1:44 AM

Jun 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Fronzel said:

It's been said many a time that Slayers is a parody of Dungeons and Dragons.

It's inspired by/a rip-off of D&D, but where's the parody? Having jokes in makes it a comedy but not a parody. All the stuff about fighting demons and learning powerful magic is taken quite straight. You can make synopsis of the major story arcs without mentioning anything funny or unexpected for a fantasy story.
Jun 29, 2012 1:25 AM

Jan 2011
Remember that D&D itself was based on a number of other fantasy books, stories, and sources. The original D&D kit actually had a lot of material from Tolkein that had been "appropriated" by Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax for their gaming sessions. Since it was a game there was an awful lot of humour generated in the dungeons, weapons, and artifacts (the powerful Vorpal Blade for example which did to my knowledge go snicker-snack). I find Lina and friends to be totally in that genre, in fact as a former halfling thief of dubious reputation I think I can vouch that this is not parody, it is reality! (er....well a darn good fantasy at least)
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 14, 2013 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
Hell yeah she just got stronger.
Jan 1, 2014 6:33 PM

May 2010
Some points that count towards this being parody are where they self-consciously reference tropes. It's not terribly common, and the main plot is pretty much straight fantasy, but once in a while there's a scene that makes fun of it. I guess that's what you'd call "frequent humor". Same thing, really!
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 20, 2015 10:36 AM

Jul 2014
So Lina learned a spell that is unknown to monsters? Nice! :-)

It seems it will be quite powerful when she gets her powers back.
Dec 10, 2018 3:52 PM

Nov 2011
So the Ragna Blade will be at least as powerful as the Giga Slave when Lina’s magic is restored. With her new amplification amulets, it will be even more powerful. And then, using her full power and the amulets, if she cast it onto the Sword of Light...

Slayers does serious really well too. This episode was great.

Also, I’m further convinced that Xellos’s motives are a little more complex than simple antagonism. I was surprised that he let Lina read a full manuscript of the Claire Bible, and didn’t destroy it until Martina snatched it. (That was one heck of a wizard doctor to have that in his possession, btw.)
Oct 5, 2019 4:06 PM
Aug 2018
"In this cicle we are save from their strongest magic spells."

Enemy literally walks in and teleports them into another dimension.

Well, that didn't work very well..
Oct 8, 2019 1:43 AM

Apr 2009
Xenos let Lina read the Claire Bible manuscript then burned it again like the first one they've found. I understand the burning part so it wouldn't fall into the other (wrong ones?) hands but why let Lina read it first though it was incomplete as the ending was doodled over by the current Runan, does he/others have plan for Lina after all this? Lina herself partially deduced as much at the end of this episode as she might find Xellos suspicious but still not part of the current grand scheme of things.

Woot! Ragna Blade!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 8, 2021 8:59 AM

Apr 2013
Somehow it's refreshing to see so many derpy female characters like Martina in a setting like this, especially in such an old show.
Mar 18, 2023 2:10 PM
Apr 2015
i'm dumb but how did lina start to get her powers back since martina ruined the medicine? the talisman?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Next Episode 23 Discussion

Shinobinomi - Mar 2, 2012

9 by Wrongthinker »»
Sep 13, 2023 12:18 AM

Poll: » Slayers Next Episode 21 Discussion

Fronzel - Jun 10, 2011

14 by Wrongthinker »»
Sep 12, 2023 2:49 AM

Poll: » Slayers Next Episode 17 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Dec 23, 2009

17 by Wrongthinker »»
Sep 11, 2023 11:52 PM

Poll: » Slayers Next Episode 14 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Dec 23, 2009

12 by Wrongthinker »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Slayers Next Episode 6 Discussion

GabrielMP - Sep 15, 2010

9 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 19, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.