Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2015 7:42 AM
Nov 2012
Hi everyone!

I thought it might be fun to start a topic about transgender characters i anime and manga. So here comes mine:

Shinatose Izana - Sidonia no kishi
I recently finished watching the first season of Sidonia no kishi (Knights of Sidonia) and in this anime there is a bigender character called Shinatose Izana. Izana says that they don't have a gender from the start, which is result of genetic modification, but that they will develop the opposite gender to whom they fall in love with. There is also a scene where Izana gets misgendered as a girl and tells the person that they are wrong.
I find it quite refreshing to have a gender variance in anime. But I suppose that how it work in this anime is really heteronormative.

So do you have and transgender characters to write about?

Greets,
Akirama
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 19, 2015 10:43 AM

Aug 2010
I would like to write about Tetsuo from Yuureitou mainly cause I just caught up to the most recent chapters. He is a transmale that's struggling to be accepted by society, as well as the readers sadly, and wants nothing more to be able to live as a male and be accepted by the world as male.
While I relate to him, I feel sad for him because if he was in this time, he could get a name and gender change and all he would have to do is do some paperwork and give some money, but since the manga is based in an older time, he can't do that.
Aside from everyone being rude about his gender, the manga is quite great so far and I only wish there was more manga about trans characters.
Feb 22, 2015 5:24 PM
Aug 2009
I dont read manga but here are some anime, and im not sure what you are defining as trans, so im including all trans people and non gender conforming characters i can think of.
Hourou Musuko Is all about being trans, the focus of the story is 2 trans people, one being mtf and the other ftm, it takes place in middle school i think, its adapted from a manga that is longer.
Steins;Gate has a mtf trans character in it
Paradise Kiss One of the main characters is a trans women.
Princess Jellyfish not sure if they are trans really but one of the main characters cross dresses.
Ouran Koukou Host Club The main character is a female that looks really male and is kinda forced into pretending they are a male, they also have a dad that is either trans or a drag queen.
Princess Knight a princess forced to pretend to be a male so she can inherit the throne, this can see as society not accepting your true gender and having to hide the fact you are trans
No.6 has a character that cross dresses
little_robotFeb 22, 2015 9:40 PM
Mar 13, 2015 10:52 PM

Dec 2013
I'm currently reading 'Bokura No Hentai' and absolutely love it. So many different stories of beautifully complex and life-like characters!

Marika finally started transition, which made me squeal like a little highschool girl lol

However, the anime for 'Hourou Musuko' is what got me hooked on the genre though.

I hate how I need to wait like 6 months for every volume to come out in English, but it's worth it.(Yes, I already read it, but I think it was so splendid that I bought the anime and accumulating the manga as I can.)

The most recent manga I finished was 'Usotsuki Lily' which only has a trans character at the end(Momo). She's cute, but En(The main CD guy) hates guys, so it get's a little dramatic for a gag comic. O.o
I am on the edge ! The edge of the edgiest edge ever edged by edgekind !
я умерте ужасну депрессии...

Apr 1, 2015 3:47 PM

Feb 2011
Kyou Kara Yonshimai!, which is about a family of sisters. One of them, Kashiwa, is MtF. She'd been hiding it for a long time but finally decided to raise the money to transition, but until then, she presents herself as female to her family. The story revolves around them coming to accept it, Kashiwa's relationship with her girlfriend, coming of age themes and sexuality for all of them.

Also second Bokura no Hentai~

There's a FtM character in Tokyo Ghoul:re named Mutsuki Tooru.

The main character in Houkago Hokenshitsu (After School Nightmare) deals with a lot of issues with their gender (they can actually change into male & female). They want to be seen as a guy and hate their feminine side, but the main guy character wants to draw it out anyway, saying that they're a girl. Meanwhile, the girl they're with wants them to be a guy.

F. Compo - Only read some of this but have heard good things. The parents are transitioned trans chars and the identity of another character is bigender(I think), deals with some romance themes as well.

Claudine

IS: Otoko demo Onna demo nai Sei
ChouninatteApr 1, 2015 4:08 PM
眠れないのは君のせい
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Trans headcanons

Sebastos - Nov 14, 2014

5 by dipperpines »»
Sep 19, 2015 8:55 AM

» Member Introductions

Sebastos - Jul 30, 2014

13 by Mukkura »»
Feb 19, 2015 10:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.