Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2014 9:53 PM
Jan 2009
So I've seen this twice now, I wrote a review on it, and now months later I'm really thinking about the movie... And it's bad. Just bad.

There's an upside down girl.
She's hunted because she's upside down and that's bad.
So generic schoolboy goes to save her with another upside down guy.
Then it turns out that she's right side up and he and his brethren are upside down!!

And that's the whole movie. There's nothing else. Why is it two hours? This movie probably could've been pulled off in 40 minutes.

-Character designs are weak. Age has no defining features inside or out. Patema doesn't either.
-Characters have no personality at all. They're just tropes.
-Animation is trash compared to actual anime movies by real companies. Looking at this next to Summer Wars, Tekkon Kinkreet, anything Ghibli, Sword of the Stranger, etc is just laughable.
-There's like no real soundtrack.
-There's no charming direction or cinematography, it's all played straight except for sometimes when the camera rotates.

So why is this rated high?
Have none of you seen Castle in the Sky or something? It's the same damn movie, but good.

I'd really like to know what the appeal is here
Dec 30, 2014 1:30 PM

Aug 2013
>>Character designs are weak.
And so?

>>-Animation is trash compared to actual anime movies
Not that bad

>>Looking at this next to Summer Wars
and so, if story is a trash?

>>, anything Ghibli
Ghibli is hightly OVERRATED

>>There's like no real soundtrack.
you are deaf or something?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 5, 2015 4:41 AM

Jan 2013
So if a follow your train of thought then :

Sword of the stranger :
Average irritating boy flees cuz his blood presumably grants immortality
Chinese badass kung fu soldiers go after his ass
Boy meets quiet badass samurai with tragic past
Boy kidnapped
Samurai kills Chinese and save the boy. ( I loved the movie btw )

oh C'mon dude ... I sense ill-will in your critics. The movie may be flawed but you just can't trash it that way because you didn't like it. When you review something please have some manners ( except if we're talking about SAO ), people put effort into that work.
Jan 11, 2015 10:58 PM
Jan 2009
the difference is that even if Sword of the Stranger's writing was horrible, it would still have its amazing fight choreography to fall back on.

what does this movie fall back on in the wake of having no good characters, low production values and an overly simple story? The gimmicky premise? I don't get it, man. And I say this exactly because I *do* understand the effort that goes into great animated works.
Feb 10, 2015 2:16 PM
Jul 2008
I do agree that much of the characters are tropes, but that doesn't directly equate to the film being bad, but rather a flaw of the film. I think where this film shines is in concept meets execution of this inverted world that gives perspective just that perspective. Yes, the direction could've been tighter to give/provide more depth to characters, say for example the tyrannical leader (his zealot "heretic" perspective was weak) and even some scenes, characters and settings (Patema's steampunk home). I believe the execution of the concept was the adhesive holding everything together and it's in a matter of opinion I suppose that you, myself or we look at it together or separate in an upside-down or downside-up position, in which we absorb and receive this film. I for one rather enjoyed it, though as I said somethings could use adjusting, but it worked well enough especially in the last 10 minutes where everything can turn that upside-down perspective, right-side up...
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Feb 15, 2015 8:17 PM

Apr 2011
Nyron said:
So I've seen this twice now, I wrote a review on it, and now months later I'm really thinking about the movie... And it's bad. Just bad.

Then it turns out that she's right side up and he and his brethren are upside down!!

And that's the whole movie. There's nothing else. Why is it two hours? This movie probably could've been pulled off in 40 minutes.

-Character designs are weak. Age has no defining features inside or out. Patema doesn't either.
-Animation is trash compared to actual anime movies by real companies. Looking at this next to Summer Wars, Tekkon Kinkreet, anything Ghibli, Sword of the Stranger, etc is just laughable.
-There's no charming direction or cinematography, it's all played straight except for sometimes when the camera rotates.

Have none of you seen Castle in the Sky or something? It's the same damn movie, but good.

I just saw it. I didn't think the movie was fantastic or anything so great, but I did rate it well enough for one reason and one reason alone. It made me think. What would it be like if half the world lived upside down? It was a really interesting concept to contemplate.

The villain imo sucked, but I liked the "plot twist". I didn't really understand it entirely... there are two skies? How did the "sinners" build a nation on the flip side? I feel like the movie could have been better if they had just sat on it a few more months before writing the script. Think of a better villain or conflict. But the basic concept WAS interesting. Couldve been better, yes, but it was good. Not great. Not fantastic. Just... good. *shrug* Light watch that tried to, at least in my own eyes, do something different. It was refreshing even though it wasn't complex. Simple look at what couldve been much more complicated and mind numbing indeed. It was good for what it was, a simple light hearted movie trying to simply introduce some light philosophy. Thaz it.
Feb 23, 2015 4:14 AM

Jun 2011
zetsu_shoren said:
So let me rephrase it:

So what exactly is good about this movie?
Because there is a twist at the end of the episode. And because the concept was interesting.

Personally disliked it.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 23, 2015 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
Well actually, Nyron, you're wrong on every count.

Let me correct you:
- Character designs are shit. We can just call Age as Generic Boy A
- Characters do have personalities; just really, really, REALLY retarded ones.
- Animation is poor for an anime movie, but not really trash. But because it didn't feel like a Yoshiura movie, let's just say that the movie IS close to trash.
- The soundtrack is basically PS2 game music, what with being 30 seconds to 2 minutes short. There was no effort put into each song because they must have known that the movie was going to be so forgettable.
- Yoshiura didn't direct this shit. There must have been some conspiracy - someone else must have assumed his identity and his real body is nowhere to be found, all in a grand scheme to fuck the movie up.

This has nothing to do with Laputa. It does not even resemble it in the slightest.

Let me rephrase it:
Feb 23, 2015 7:00 AM
Jul 2014
You didn't like something that some other people liked. I guess all those other people must be idiots then.

The fact that you would even make a thread like this shows just how far over your head the films message went.

It's fine that you didn't like the movie, but is it that hard to imagine that other people might have different tastes than you? How can you be sure that you're not the one who's inverted?
Feb 25, 2015 1:44 PM
Jan 2009
clevername03 said:
You didn't like something that some other people liked. I guess all those other people must be idiots then.

The fact that you would even make a thread like this shows just how far over your head the films message went.

It's fine that you didn't like the movie, but is it that hard to imagine that other people might have different tastes than you? How can you be sure that you're not the one who's inverted?

something is not good just because you think it is, dude
I can analyze the fine, layered messages of The Room, but it doesn't make the movie good when compared to anything else. It's the same here.
Aug 21, 2015 4:01 AM

Jul 2012
Nyron said:
clevername03 said:

something is not good just because you think it is, dude
I can analyze the fine, layered messages of The Room, but it doesn't make the movie good when compared to anything else. It's the same here.

Everyone has different taste, you can't just critique something and even made a thread of how you really hated an anime, and forced your opinion others just because you don't like an anime which people like. I can imagine you being someone who would hate all inverted just because they're different. And we people in turn would call you inverted.
よろしく!
Aug 21, 2015 4:12 AM

Dec 2013
Nothing.
Aug 23, 2015 2:49 PM

Aug 2014
For me, this movie was just beautiful. I loved the art and the story, the characters weren't that interesting but they fit the story and were likable.

It's been a while since I saw it, but the memory of the movie is just.... beautiful? I loved the idea of it overall.

But I guess I can understand why some didn't like it.

Mar 25, 2016 9:20 PM

Jun 2013
You all are taking the wrong approach. This movie is to be viewed while slightly tipsy with a loud group of friends. From experience this is 100% confirmed best watching method!
Mar 25, 2016 9:25 PM

Sep 2012
You just have to watch it upside down.
Feb 23, 2017 10:05 AM

Oct 2008
I disliked this movie for a long time after seeing it because
1. The inverse gravity makes no sense
2. Despite solving the conflict between their societies they never solve the inverse gravity problem and never attempt to
so I thought the world building wasn't good enough and the movie felt like a gimmick to show a bunch of floaty scenes...
May 22, 2017 1:02 AM

Dec 2016
I think the movie is great.. The story, Characters, Arts...
May 23, 2017 2:53 PM
Mar 2008
Well, this topic is a big surprise for me. I actually came here to find why this movie is so UNDERRATED. It's amazing, one of the best anime of this decade.
Whole movie should take 40 minutes? I have inverted (oh, what a corny joke) opinion - it actually should be like 3h or more and tell us a lot more about this world etc because I feel that they could develop the story a little more.
And I really can't believe my eyes when I see anyone saying a bad word about its soundtrack. Oh my god. This OST is amazing. This is a first time in years that immediately after watching movie I searched for the soundtrack to listen to it, because I liked it that much.
Jun 24, 2017 2:49 PM

Jan 2010
It's like the anime version of the movie called Upside Down :D
Jun 25, 2017 10:34 AM

Aug 2016
I watched this because of a story summary I stumbled upon but... It just didn't work for me. It was "ok" but nothing more.

No emotions, no surprises, no likeable characters (the end doesn't count as twist...so what? With or without "twist" it didn't change anything).

Potential that has been thrown away, but I'm happy for everyone that could enjoy the movie to the rating extent ;)
Jul 1, 2017 2:37 AM
Jan 2009
Chrabia said:
Well, this topic is a big surprise for me. I actually came here to find why this movie is so UNDERRATED. It's amazing, one of the best anime of this decade.
Whole movie should take 40 minutes? I have inverted (oh, what a corny joke) opinion - it actually should be like 3h or more and tell us a lot more about this world etc because I feel that they could develop the story a little more.
And I really can't believe my eyes when I see anyone saying a bad word about its soundtrack. Oh my god. This OST is amazing. This is a first time in years that immediately after watching movie I searched for the soundtrack to listen to it, because I liked it that much.

6% compatibility

that's a new low
man you must like some really awful stuff, i would hide my list if i were you too lmao
Aug 25, 2019 10:08 AM
Aug 2019
zetsu_shoren said:
Well actually, Nyron, you're wrong on every count.

Let me correct you:
- Character designs are shit. We can just call Age as Generic Boy A
- Characters do have personalities; just really, really, REALLY retarded ones.
- Animation is poor for an anime movie, but not really trash. But because it didn't feel like a Yoshiura movie, let's just say that the movie IS close to trash.
- The soundtrack is basically PS2 game music, what with being 30 seconds to 2 minutes short. There was no effort put into each song because they must have known that the movie was going to be so forgettable.
- Yoshiura didn't direct this shit. There must have been some conspiracy - someone else must have assumed his identity and his real body is nowhere to be found, all in a grand scheme to fuck the movie up.

This has nothing to do with Laputa. It does not even resemble it in the slightest.

Let me rephrase it:

ok i know all trolls must come here just so they can find some one to swear whit all day long cuz they don't have anything better to do but realy niBBa?! if that movie had one damn thing right that's the animation there is so much detail on the back ground and the frames are soo smooth you won't something like this in 80% of the anime's(like for real just look the back ground of bnha or the way which the characters of jojo move)

about "the deepness of the characters" i think that way is better otherwise it will become something like ERASED( where the main character have to save 3 kids he spends 99% of the time whit one girl(like 11 of 12 episodes) and at the end we are left whit 15m time of the last episode to see how he save's (and get to knows) the other 2 children) + you don't have the right to ask for more deepness if you don't get the plot and "why the hell there are 2 skyes"

and for "[/b][/size] is good about this movie?[/quote]" have you even paying an attention?!
thats all i wont feed you anymore or give you a reason for spam or salt
Aug 25, 2019 10:29 AM
Aug 2019
[quote=Nyron message=37104639]So I've seen this twice now, I wrote a review on it, and now months later I'm really thinking about the movie... And it's bad. Just bad.

again have you paying an attention?!
+ the animation is anything but shit its extremely rare to see so much detail on the background and so smooth animation if you want watch the movie again but on 0.25 speed and then watch jojo on that speed or bnha or fairy tail or even the shity sword art online you will see for what i am talking about + it has more frames than Summer Wars or Tekkon Kinkreet

also i do not agree about the charm that's what made me like it its just like the good horror game its scary but only at the first time and thats all if it gets too long you wont be anxious anymore, you will know what to expect and it will lose you just imagine if they had made 1300 needless episodes while in reality you need only 4 for the main story(and it happens in only 4 episodes) just like One peice or D-Gray man

also WALL E was a short movie whit "dead" characters and dump plot but it was a great movie
Nov 13, 2019 2:21 PM
Jan 2009
you should watch princess mononoke or tekkon kinkreet and come back to me and tell me this movie looks good tbh
Dec 2, 2019 1:21 PM
Mar 2016
Nyron said:

The only downside was the characters. It had ok animation, ok osts and good directing. And overall, the experience of the movie was great.

The appeal of the movie is the mystery of the weird world and the romantic adventure of the duo.
And castle in the sky is old and Ghibli. Ghibli is hard to consume for post SAO fans like us as it seems too "cartoonish".
Dec 3, 2019 2:10 AM
Jan 2009
Asmffs said:
Nyron said:

The only downside was the characters. It had ok animation, ok osts and good directing. And overall, the experience of the movie was great.

The appeal of the movie is the mystery of the weird world and the romantic adventure of the duo.
And castle in the sky is old and Ghibli. Ghibli is hard to consume for post SAO fans like us as it seems too "cartoonish".

this is more of a problem with watchers being like 14 and not being exposed to more than five shows and not understanding or appreciating that different art styles outside of "how to draw anime the easy way, volume 3" exist
Jan 4, 2020 12:51 PM
Mar 2016
Nyron said:
Asmffs said:

this is more of a problem with watchers being like 14 and not being exposed to more than five shows and not understanding or appreciating that different art styles outside of "how to draw anime the easy way, volume 3" exist

I'm 21, watched 250+ shows and I don't find Ghibli art that interesting, and I can also go in details as to why I think that. It has its identity, but that doesn't make it likable by default.
Apr 22, 2020 5:01 PM
Mar 2016
Agreed. This movie is just bad, I feel like everyone calling it good is just in some giant injoke
Apr 22, 2020 5:14 PM

Aug 2018
linkzor24 said:
Agreed. This movie is just bad, I feel like everyone calling it good is just in some giant injoke

rated Ishuzoku Reviewers 10/10

your opinion is null and void
Apr 22, 2020 5:19 PM
Mar 2016
epidemia78 said:
linkzor24 said:

What are you? The review police? Did it ever cross your mind that not everyone debilitates over every rating? I happened to like Ishuzoku a lot, that's all.
Apr 22, 2020 5:27 PM

Aug 2018
linkzor24 said:
epidemia78 said:

What are you? The review police? Did it ever cross your mind that not everyone debilitates over every rating? I happened to like Ishuzoku a lot, that's all.

Better refine your own shit opinions if you're gonna call other people's tastes in anime a joke
Apr 22, 2020 5:32 PM
Mar 2016
epidemia78 said:
linkzor24 said:

Better refine your own shit opinions if you're gonna call other people's tastes in anime a joke

Good on you for somehow twisting "I don't like movie" into "your tastes are shit"
Apr 23, 2020 2:14 AM
Jan 2009
i would unironically say that Reviewers is a better, more inspired, more well-crafted piece of media than this bland and shoddy ghibli knockoff

and that is sad lmao
Jan 2, 2021 3:55 AM

Jun 2017
the character writing in this movie is easily the worst thing about it - pretty bad - but i'd be lying if the whole inversion thing wasn't at least somewhat compelling enough
Jan 17, 5:35 PM
Jul 2015
the plot could have worked with another narrative style and more budget, the only good thing are the 2 moments in which the viewer is surprised with the singularities of this world, the rest is forgettable, the art direction in terms of the use of color is poor, the dynamics between characters is very generic therefore predictable reducing interest, I could say more but the film is not worth it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakasama no Patema Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takanakaiyo - Oct 12, 2013

245 by ZER0PT »»
Feb 21, 1:24 PM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

5 by waalex11 »»
Jan 10, 9:23 AM

» Children? Spoiler

PirateMadryk - Apr 30, 2017

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:11 PM

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

22 by Scootboi »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:56 PM

» *SPOILERS* End Letter Decode ( 1 2 )

Weapon_Master - May 11, 2014

54 by XxMakagOxX »»
Jul 6, 2023 11:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.