Forum Settings
Forums

Your favorite characters - What's the appeal?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 22, 2014 9:08 AM

Jun 2013
I'm still rotating my favourites though. Basically, the characters that are described 'too nice' and have seemingly unlimited sense of justice won't appeal me. They should be developed enough and not suppose to be fully good or bad but depends on circumstances. My current favourites are pretty much qualified.
Dec 22, 2014 9:33 AM

Jun 2011
male-badass and/or hilarious and/or relateable

female- kinda like misaki (NHK) sweet, innocent, kind, and a lil "damaged" or Hinata (naruto) but then I guess you would just change "damaged" to shy
Dec 22, 2014 9:55 AM

Oct 2014
Well many of my favorite female characters are very mysterious, sexy in a way and just very good looking.

Esdeath in AKG is a very good example in this. I love her so much rofl.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2012
I have no bloody idea. Its not necesarily extremely good characters, its just that at that point in time I remembered that the character favourite list exists so I decided to add a character I quite liked from the show I just watched.

However I can brag that only me and 2 other people on MAL like Bradley, Luciano from Code Geass.
Dec 22, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2014
The likeableness of the characters <.<
Dec 22, 2014 12:40 PM

Nov 2014
Some of them are funny, some of them are very relatable to me, I love the characters with tragic pasts who still remain sane/strong, and of course, characters who are over the top cute but not annoying.
Dec 22, 2014 4:59 PM

Feb 2013
When it comes to male characters, I like the hot/sadistic and badass ones. The hilarious and the good -but not idiot- guys also. My type of favorite guy can change depending on the show. It's the same with females, I love girls with strong personality and great physical skills.

Dec 22, 2014 6:12 PM

Jan 2008
I like non-shitty female characters that don't exist solely for fanservice or to revolve around a male character. If they actively transcend gender roles like Utena and Oscar than that's a huge plus.

Johan is (possibly) one of the the greatest villains.

Joseph is campy fun incarnate, hard not to like.

Yotsuba is adorable in a refreshing non-lolicon appeal sort of way.

Most people would pick Kamina, but since Simon is the true protagonist and gets a lot more good development I like him better personally.

I like Jack Vessalius for being a surprisingly complex and tragic character when he seemed to be more one dimensional at first.

I genuinely like Shinji and don't automatically hate him for being a "spineless wimp" and not an uber badass god.
Imperial_ThunderDec 22, 2014 6:22 PM
Dec 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
lolis

Dec 22, 2014 6:30 PM

Sep 2013
Honestly, the most common trait is just that theyre willing to kill, with the exception of Honoka Takamiya.

1) Black★Star [Soul Eater] -- comedic, honorable, dependable, and basically a heaven-sent angel of war. I mean, even with shattered bones he still fights at 100%.

2) Lord Shinigami [Soul Eater] -- an aloof and yet frightening existence capable of just erasing his enemies. Bonus points for Rikiya Koyama's amazing performance and even more bonus points for simply being Death.

3) Mine [Akame ga Kill!] -- Im not a fan of tsunderes in general but shes amazingly smart and powerful in combat. Also, she can get more powerful as the risk against her increases and that yields spectacular results. And last but not least, the vengeance was 1 of the best feelings Ive gotten out of anime.

4) Ayaka Kagari [Witch Craft Works] -- stoic, beautiful (yet not sexualized like virtually every other anime girl), self-sacrificing, a Fire Magic user that sets the very air ablaze, and her Tempest form is... well, frightening and I can only hope to see it again some chapter.

5) Nicholas D. Wolfwood [Trigun] -- 1 of the 1st characters I saw willing to look the person in the face as he kills them for the greater good. And in the manga, hes 1 helluva vicious fighter.

6) Saeko Busujima [Highschool Of The Dead] -- bloodthirsty but in the sense that she merely enjoys fighting against a legitimate enemy; a trait Ive always shared.

7) Soul "Eater" Evans [Soul Eater] -- chapter 75 "Salvage VI" in the Chapter of Sloth. 'Nuff said.

8) Franken Stein [Soul Eater] -- a man of Madness born on the side of Order who merely wants to do what he wants but without the feelings of guilt his world gives to him by those very actions he desires. I can really relate to his stance on this.

9) Maka Albarn [Soul Eater] -- the paragon of courage. I mean, its 1 thing to fight an opponent thinking you have even a small chance of winning and its another to fight with NO hope of winning. Also, shes the best scythe-user Ive seen in anything ever.

10) Honoka Takamiya [Witch Craft Works] -- heres a guy who tries to fight with all he has, never to protect himself, but to protect everyone else, even the 1 who puts her life on the line to protect him. And hes not afraid to sacrifice parts of his body, or his life, or even things precious to him to do so.
Dec 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Mar 2012
Looking at my top characters, there is one link. They are all naturally gifted, in one way or another.

I think I have a decent variety though.
Dec 23, 2014 7:37 AM

May 2014
Old_Raven said:
Honestly, the most common trait is just that theyre willing to kill, with the exception of Honoka Takamiya.

1) Black★Star [Soul Eater] -- comedic, honorable, dependable, and basically a heaven-sent angel of war. I mean, even with shattered bones he still fights at 100%.

2) Lord Shinigami [Soul Eater] -- an aloof and yet frightening existence capable of just erasing his enemies. Bonus points for Rikiya Koyama's amazing performance and even more bonus points for simply being Death.

3) Mine [Akame ga Kill!] -- Im not a fan of tsunderes in general but shes amazingly smart and powerful in combat. Also, she can get more powerful as the risk against her increases and that yields spectacular results. And last but not least, the vengeance was 1 of the best feelings Ive gotten out of anime.

4) Ayaka Kagari [Witch Craft Works] -- stoic, beautiful (yet not sexualized like virtually every other anime girl), self-sacrificing, a Fire Magic user that sets the very air ablaze, and her Tempest form is... well, frightening and I can only hope to see it again some chapter.

5) Nicholas D. Wolfwood [Trigun] -- 1 of the 1st characters I saw willing to look the person in the face as he kills them for the greater good. And in the manga, hes 1 helluva vicious fighter.

6) Saeko Busujima [Highschool Of The Dead] -- bloodthirsty but in the sense that she merely enjoys fighting against a legitimate enemy; a trait Ive always shared.

7) Soul "Eater" Evans [Soul Eater] -- chapter 75 "Salvage VI" in the Chapter of Sloth. 'Nuff said.

8) Franken Stein [Soul Eater] -- a man of Madness born on the side of Order who merely wants to do what he wants but without the feelings of guilt his world gives to him by those very actions he desires. I can really relate to his stance on this.

9) Maka Albarn [Soul Eater] -- the paragon of courage. I mean, its 1 thing to fight an opponent thinking you have even a small chance of winning and its another to fight with NO hope of winning. Also, shes the best scythe-user Ive seen in anything ever.

10) Honoka Takamiya [Witch Craft Works] -- heres a guy who tries to fight with all he has, never to protect himself, but to protect everyone else, even the 1 who puts her life on the line to protect him. And hes not afraid to sacrifice parts of his body, or his life, or even things precious to him to do so.

You FORGOT TO MENTION THAT WAITER FROM THE COFFEE SHOP IN "SOUL EATER" :| he is really likable
Dec 23, 2014 9:42 AM

May 2014
Do I really need to explain the Bebop crew? Like really?

Come to think of it, do I have to explain Okabe and Makise either?

Shounen Bat is a perfect use of faux-villain-as-plot-device. The Laughing Man is intriguing for his philosophical implications, Batou is a heart-of-gold badass and the only character in GITS that gets a significant character arc, and the Tachikomas are the best AI characters I've found in an anime.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Dec 23, 2014 10:22 AM

Mar 2014
My favorite character is Alita. Sexy, smart, badass, thinks for herself, she grew up as the series kept going. She's everything that a female character should be. She eclipsed my previous favorite, Motoko, in every way.

Dec 23, 2014 11:06 AM

Apr 2014
ability to make me laugh and/or cuteness factor. VA choice doesn't really matter, but if they're a favorite then I probably love their voice.
Dec 23, 2014 11:16 AM

Feb 2013
sullynathan said:
My favorite character is Alita. Sexy, smart, badass, thinks for herself, she grew up as the series kept going. She's everything that a female character should be. She eclipsed my previous favorite, Motoko, in every way.

Curious.........Curious Indeed
Dec 23, 2014 11:23 AM

Jan 2014
1.) BLACK HAIR
2.) OP as heck
3.) BRAINS
glasses are a plus too
Dec 23, 2014 2:24 PM

Oct 2014
A majority of my favourite characters tend to be kind of stupidly goofy, fun, lighthearted and just huge ass dorks. (i.e - Haru from Tsuritama, Inga from UN-GO, Kotetsu T. Kaburagi, Noda Megumi, Sawamura Eijun, etc).

Other characters I tend to like just have a lovable, adorable or childlike personality to them (i.e - Ren from Usagi Drop, Ren Mihashi, Sana Kurata, Sai from Hikaru no Go, etc).

Sometimes what attracts me to characters is what they do for others or their overall development or characterization. (i.e - Yu Narukam, Eikichi Onizuka, Taichi Mashima, Akito Hayama, Holo from Ookami to Koushinryou, Kazuya Miyuki, etc).

Also probably the most shallow reason, but definitely the least prominent reason is because they're eye-candy, enjoyable and have a good character design.

Just too many things draw me to certain characters. It just one of those things you start watching a show and BAM! instantly you fall in love with that character.
Dec 23, 2014 4:25 PM

Jun 2014
AnnaSartin said:
I'm curious, what draws you to the characters on your top ten list? Taking a look at mine, I notice that half the characters on my list are very positive and upbeat people, and the other half are cute animals (and one lover of cute animals). Noticing this, I learned something about myself: I like to watch cute, positive things that make me feel better about myself and my life.

Examining your own lists, do you notice any connections or similarities between the characters? What draws you to them? Are they similar to your own personality or are they drastically different? Do they make you think or feel certain things when you watch them on screen?

Gon and Killua. Boy love.
Dec 23, 2014 4:56 PM

Apr 2014
Hand_of_the_King said:
sullynathan said:

Curious.........Curious Indeed
Is there an anime, because I woud like to see it?
Dec 23, 2014 8:43 PM

Jul 2012
My favorite characters have to be cute, magical, adorable in some way or another, and generally just enjoyable and relateable. I don't relate to all my favorite characters, but it totally helps.
Dec 23, 2014 8:59 PM

Aug 2014
Killua is an extremely loyal person who goes beyond his way to make someone else happy and is also blessed by great talent and hones that talent with hard work.

And his absolute deredere side is a great bonus that makes him extremely adorable and babylike.
Dec 23, 2014 10:20 PM

Dec 2008
Most of them are crazy, funny, and/or goofy sort of characters, but also have some sort of depth to them. For example, Yuuko (xxxHolic) is hilarious, but can be serious when the situation requires it. On top of all that, she's ridiculously badass and powerful. Or take Isaac and Miria (Baccano!). They're also incredibly funny and seem stupid at first (well, ok, they're actual idiots) but at the same time, they're well-meaning and capable of a surprising amount of insight (even though it's not intentional on their part).

Then, there are a couple of characters who are just plain cool and badass, like the Medicine Seller (Mononoke) or Olivier Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist).
Dec 24, 2014 3:50 PM

Dec 2013
As of right now, my favorite anime character is either Junko Enoshima or Nagito Komeda

Dec 24, 2014 3:59 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Typically funny and upbeat characters. Or characters that know when to stand up for themselves or others.
Ultimately I think those traits are what would describe a majority of my fav characters.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Dec 24, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
Hisoka is my only favorite character. He is perfect, I don't need anyone else.
Dec 24, 2014 8:49 PM

Jun 2014
Nanet said:
Killua is an extremely loyal person who goes beyond his way to make someone else happy and is also blessed by great talent and hones that talent with hard work.

And his absolute deredere side is a great bonus that makes him extremely adorable and babylike.

And boy love. ;3
Dec 24, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2013
Netero Isaac

100-type Guanyin Bodhisattva
Badass
apart of my favorite fight of all time
had a major impact as a supporting character
Dec 24, 2014 9:15 PM
Sep 2014
Inferno Cop, well It's Inferno Cop don't need to say more
Dec 24, 2014 9:24 PM

Jul 2014
Kircheis because i love his relationship with Reinhard

Seigfried x Reinhard *-*
Dec 24, 2014 9:26 PM

Jun 2014
Also the appeal of my favorite characters is that I'm appealing and they're my favorite characters.

/Thread
Dec 25, 2014 12:18 AM

Oct 2009
I have a fetish for waist long straight hair and playful personality.
A little bit trickster but mostly good-natured bishoujo. Oppai size is optional.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 25, 2014 12:41 AM

Jul 2014
They don't necessarily have to be intelligent, but witty, funny, sometimes aloof, not always sensitive and caring but have a strong personal ideology that they follow. Also of course, not be complete wusses.
FirstEelJan 3, 2015 11:47 PM
Dec 25, 2014 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
My favourite characters usual have qualities I want or I could relate to, for example Misaki Shokuhou. She's simply a boss ass bitch and she's funny
[center][/center]
Dec 25, 2014 9:33 PM

Dec 2014
My favorite characters are smart, calm, capable, reliable. In other words, the complete opposite of me.
Dec 26, 2014 1:51 AM

Sep 2014
Well, most of my ones are from Shoujo animes - this probably due to having those good cringe moments which makes you like them.

And the characters i pick are unique, which you cant find someone similar. And they are very enjoyable to watch.

And sometimes: Guys = wanna be like them, Girls = wanna go out with them =D
Dec 26, 2014 5:39 AM

Nov 2014
Looking at my list

Emotionless loli
Emotionless loli
Emotionless loli
Emotionless girl
Energetic Loli
Badass main character
Yukihira Furano (I don't even know how to describe her)
Cute girl
Airhead girl
Cute loli

Damn it... This doesn't look good for me, I swear I'm not a lolicon. I totally pick my favourite characters from how deep their backstory is.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 26, 2014 6:41 AM

May 2010
Fun characters, who often make me laugh, but could have also made me cry, besides that: moe/handsome/badass.

I actually need to change my list soon, huh...
Dec 26, 2014 6:57 AM
Nov 2013
Just look at them, they're all awesome. There's no reason why I shouldn't put them in my top favourite. They're so awesome that my fav character list doesn't change in a while (just 1 or 2 at times). I can't find better.
Dec 26, 2014 6:59 AM

Oct 2014
I love tsundere characters...
because dude..

they're TSUNDERES!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2014 7:19 AM

Apr 2013
Mostly, "this character kills a lot of people" ... "They're my favorite"
Dec 26, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2014
Tatsuya-kun_10 said:
I love tsundere characters...
because dude..

they're TSUNDERES!
Nice signature bro, you should remove the [ /url] part, The image will be visible that way.
Dec 26, 2014 7:39 AM

Oct 2014
found a new gif of her and had it changed a few minutes ago ahaha.. tnx for pointing that out XD
Dec 26, 2014 8:03 AM

Apr 2014
Tatsuya-kun_10 said:
found a new gif of her and had it changed a few minutes ago ahaha.. tnx for pointing that out XD
No problem :)
Dec 26, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2012
They have to like mayonnaise.
Dec 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Apr 2014
johnyjohny said:
Everyone likes mayonnaise, that is a fact!
Dec 26, 2014 8:13 AM

Jul 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
johnyjohny said:

I hate mayonnaise.
Dec 26, 2014 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
TFO1013 said:
Milk_is_Special said:

I hate mayonnaise.
You're lying!
Dec 26, 2014 8:31 AM

Dec 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
TFO1013 said:

I hate mayonnaise.
You're lying!

I hate it too... except when used to make potato salad.
Dec 26, 2014 8:58 AM

Feb 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
johnyjohny said:

Ketchup > Mayonnaise
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 14 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
34 seconds ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

23 by aanj1n »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

132 by -YaoiBoy- »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

20 by aikaflip »»
12 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 7 hours ago

35 by aikaflip »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.