Forum Settings
Forums

[Inactive] Manga of the Week : Thomas no Shinzou // Manga of the Month : Close the Last Door

New
Dec 2, 2014 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
[center]
Will not be updating this for a while unless there's more interest. Sorry!

Month 3 : March
Close the Last Door

Week 8 : March 8 - 14
Thomas no Shinzou

MayukaMay 12, 2015 12:10 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 2, 2014 9:28 PM

Dec 2012
Previous Titles:

[center][spoiler][size=90] Week 1: Choco Strawberry Vanilla by Psyche Delico (Nov. 30 - Dec. 6)

Week 2: G-Senjou no Neko by Miyagi Tooko (Dec. 7th - Dec. 15th)

Week 3: Colorful Line by Ichikawa, Kei (Dec. 16 - Dec. 23)

Week 4: Mezase Hero! by Kodaka, Kazuma (Dec. 24 - Dec. 30)

Week 5: None (Dec. 31 - Jan. 4)

Week 6: Ookami no Ketsuzoku (January 24 - 30)

Week 7 : Katappashi kara Zenbu Koi (February 15 - 21)

Month 1 : January : Complex
MayukaMar 6, 2015 9:35 PM
Dec 2, 2014 9:49 PM

Dec 2012
[size=90]Welp, I finished it. It wasn't as messed up as I expected it to be, if that was the message it intended to finish off with then that just went nowhere. Psyche's works are interesting, but I hope to avoid all BL with polyamory in the future. 6/10.
Dec 2, 2014 10:08 PM

Apr 2014
......... I don't understand. LMAO. What was that ending supposed to be? It's so ambiguous. I can't decide whether it's because the author just chose to end it there for no particular reason or if it's supposed to have some kind of meaning.

...Anyways. My first impression of this wasn't the greatest. But halfway through chapter two, I feel like the manga got so much deeper all of a sudden in terms of the characters. I find it really hard to characterize Hiroi & Take. That incomplete(?) ending makes it even more so.
I can understand Mine, because his situation is that he's come to love Hiroi so much that he grew to accept Take as the "add-on". And I guess although Take makes him "feel good" more than Hiroi can, he segregates that lust clearly from his genuine love for Hiroi.

Take is... strange. Does he have genuine feelings for Mine? Or is it that he grew to like Mine because he is the first(?) person to accept Hiroi's tendency to "share"- and that what Take really wants is to make Hiroi happy.

As for Hiroi, I personally think that he's the most complex one out of the three. I don't understand like... anything about him LMAO. Is he realising that "sharing" everything isn't really a good thing for him or something... ? He also seems to be really attached to sex. Whenever he notices something between Take and Mine, it's because something happened while they were doing it. I feel like even though Hiroi "shares" everything, he is really a posessive person. He wants to be the most important to both Mine and Take, but as they begin to like each other, he begins to lose that "possessiveness" of both of them.

Sorry that ended up being quite long. Overall, I think there is definitely more than what meets the eye in this manga. Or maybe that's just my english student self speaking haha. This was one of the few times I wasn't reading something for the smut LOL. I liked the character dynamics in this manga a lot, though the ending could definitely have been improved. Not sure if anyone could be pleased by it.

TL;DR the characters are pretty cool and I actually did like this manga. Surprisingly. 8/10.
LOADDec 2, 2014 10:12 PM
Dec 2, 2014 10:14 PM

Dec 2012
I think the entire manga is ambiguous itself tbh, the message it left as well. "In the end you can't share the person you like", but nothing changed! Then I feel like the other message being sent was you're just being sucked into an endless cycle where you share the person you like with someone else and it'll go nowhere but it can't be helped.. *rips off hair*

It pisses me off to no end, and this stuff happens irl too I'm sure. I felt it was wasted potential as well, halfway reading it I had mixed feelings but then the inclusive ending assured me there's nothing else :/

Maybe I'm just reading into this too much lol
Dec 2, 2014 10:15 PM

Dec 2012
Also, the roles were surprisingly. I had expected the uke to be seme for this one, but I guess scary looking guy works as cute guy.

*cough*Delinquent*cough
Dec 2, 2014 10:16 PM

Apr 2014
ooooh, that part about the cycle was good. I get u.
I don't know, despite being ambiguous, I genuinely think it was fairly well written. Is this is the most popular by Psyche Delico?
Dec 2, 2014 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
oh damn, LOAD, you're good at analyzing this. i didn't get that much out of the characters other than: black haired guy liked main guy who liked him back but neither of them admit it :C

the ending really bugs me as well. it had potential to go for more and fix the problem. the characters could have communicated or something.

my thoughts:
mayukachan said:
It was good smut, but that's all it was. The love triangle never had a resolution. I don't like that I'm left to assume that they'll have threesomes forever. That's kind of screwed up.
Dec 2, 2014 10:19 PM

Dec 2012
Yes I believe it is. There's also Kami to Pen to Sex to, which is still scanlating.
Dec 2, 2014 10:22 PM

Apr 2014
LMAO. thanks :>

The thing is, I'm not even sure about the things I say.
It's strange cause usually the reason why I like manga or anime is because of the characters. In this one, I don't think I particularly liked any of the characters. They're all... kinda messed up.

Though I guess I liked Take the most. Just because looks-wise. I'd rather have Take x Hiroi tho

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
oh damn, LOAD, you're good at analyzing this. i didn't get that much out of the characters other than: black haired guy liked main guy who liked him back but neither of them admit it :C
Lol, I don't remember who's names belonged to who.
mayukachan said:
It was good smut, but that's all it was. The love triangle never had a resolution. I don't like that I'm left to assume that they'll have threesomes forever. That's kind of screwed up.
[/quote]It is, I agree.

Psyche's name suits her well.

Apr 2014
I do like her pen name!! It's really cool. Easy to say in a japanese accent too.
Dec 2, 2014 10:26 PM

Dec 2012
Weird comment but I think this is the first artwork I've seen (that's not bara .-.) that included leg/foot hair. And I wasn't weirded out.
Dec 3, 2014 6:52 AM

Dec 2012
Don't leave me hanging with my weird comment guys, lol.
Dec 3, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2009
tbh i dont see their polygamic relationship as a "problem to solve"***. this manga was just.. perfect! :P Take likes Mine because Mine will never like Take more than Hiroi. and this way Hiroi will never be betrayed. i think Take lacks ego, Mine lacks self-esteem and both are selfless while Hiroi is possesive and selfish. they complete each other. btw there is more to this story in "Psychedelics" ch 3, and mangaka has actually explained the story there.

8.5/10.

***those characters are not your everyday characters AND they are also not your everyday "people".
i dont support polygamy at all, but i do know some people who.. have that kind of relationship and it actually works for them. it's like incest in my opinion, not quite ethic yet works for "some" people. if it's not a problem for them, why should it bother me?

anyway im happy with the way this manga ended. it would be cliche if Mine ended up with Take. i like how it's different, eccentric and kind of psychologic. refreshing IMO.
i also like how the "story" is explained with just smut :D if you exclude the H scenes, this manga is nothing, lol. even tho it's obvious how Psyche Delico enjoyed herself and it was some hardcore stuff, those H scenes werent there just for hots, unlike most yaoi imo.

btw rothrock, characters in 50x50 has hairy legs too :P and in Nemureru Mori uke has armpit hair :P actually there are more yaoi like that but i dont remember their names.
reira93Dec 3, 2014 11:12 AM
Dec 3, 2014 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
reira93 said:
it's like incest in my opinion, not quite ethic yet works for "some" people. if it's not a problem for them, why should it bother me?

the thing with incest is that it's still just love between two people, which is fine with me. i mean i find it weird if it's father/daughter or uncle/daughter (something along the lines of almost pedophile ages..) but between siblings or cousins, its normal.
Dec 3, 2014 6:33 PM

Apr 2014
rothrock said:
Don't leave me hanging with my weird comment guys, lol.
LMAO. same tho. at first I was like 'oh, leg hair.' but it works well with psyche's art style.
Dec 3, 2014 6:47 PM

Apr 2014
I read that chapter 3 of psychedelics, and.... nothing really changed LOL. I'm still just as confused about the manga. Actually no, one thing that changed was that I liked the smut better in that one chapter lmao. Not sure why.
Dec 3, 2014 10:03 PM

Jan 2011
Read this last week... I was sorely disappointed.

To make sure we're all on the same page here --
Hiroi = uke-lookin' seme who loves to share everything with Take and is ridiculously obstinate about doing so
Take = Hiroi's childhood friend who shares everything that Hiroi thinks is precious
Mine = the delinquent who became a bottom out of love

I disliked all of the characters. I thought Mine was weak, Hiroi was stubborn, and Take was a blank slate. I felt the story ended on a very unstable relationship. It ended with the three of them together, yet all 3 were not on the same page.

Hiroi was the one who was so gung-ho about everyone loving each other, yet by the end, he is wondering if what he wants is wrong.
Take, who was against sharing in the beginning is now OK with it in the end and might actually like Mine.
Mine, who didn't want to be shared in the beginning... accepted sharing in the end.

So the ONE WHO FORCED THE SHARING is not okay with it by the end??? And the other two are now the ones that are OK with it?! Please. Get on the same page, guys.

Take and Mine seemed to actually have the more meaningful relationship by the end. Mine fell for Hiroi just cuz he was nice to him. Yet it seems Take and Mine have the real spark. *shrugs* I just don't get it.

I was really looking forward to some hot smexy threesome... the DP was a plus, yet somehow I didn't think it was all that great compared to other DP scenes. *shrugs* It was a meh plot and meh smut.

Dec 4, 2014 7:46 AM

Mar 2009
mayukachan said:
reira93 said:
it's like incest in my opinion, not quite ethic yet works for "some" people. if it's not a problem for them, why should it bother me?

the thing with incest is that it's still just love between two people, which is fine with me. i mean i find it weird if it's father/daughter or uncle/daughter (something along the lines of almost pedophile ages..) but between siblings or cousins, its normal.

so in your opinion romantic love and lust should be between just "two" people, so polygamy disturbs you but incest not so much. in my case the "family bond" is one of the most sacred things and it shouldnt contain any lust or romantic feelings so it bothers me but polygamy not so much. :P different people, different opinions, different ethics..

this manga sure was not for everyone. it wasnt supposed to be a healthy, sweet romance from the beginning. i was bored of love triangles that one loses yet everybody is happy in the end. :P i also see the changes in our characters as "character development" and tbh i like how Hiroi is the one that's "not okay" right now because he was a total jerk forcing Take and Mine in the beginning. he deserved a nice lesson imo. :P
Dec 4, 2014 10:05 AM

Jul 2012
reira93 said:
mayukachan said:

so in your opinion romantic love and lust should be between just "two" people, so polygamy disturbs you but incest not so much. in my case the "family bond" is one of the most sacred things and it shouldnt contain any lust or romantic feelings so it bothers me but polygamy not so much. :P different people, different opinions, different ethics..

oh i get your points, but like i can see incest being okay if the two never knew they were siblings (like people who were separated by birth). in the case where they actually were brother and sister from the start, it depends on what kind of feelings are harbored (and if it's in fiction, it depends on how well written and pure it's depicted)

for love, i see it as something that must be between two people mostly because i can't see how a 3P would be fair. one person loving two equally? idk

but to each her own xD
Dec 4, 2014 9:01 PM

Jan 2011
The thing is, I don't believe those three love each other equally... or maybe not in the same way. There's definitely more of an attraction between Take and Mine. XD

and @reira93 you have a good point. Hiroi deserves it since he was such a jerk in the beginning! haha!

Dec 6, 2014 5:42 PM

Dec 2012
[size=90]
Week 1 is up!
Dec 11, 2014 3:43 PM

Dec 2012
Just read chapter 1. Whoa whoa, split personality perhaps? :o
Dec 11, 2014 10:19 PM

Apr 2014
MC's senpai, whatever his name is, is so frickin creepy. Totally turning me off the series. Ugh. When there's one character I really don't like, it affects what I think of the series as a whole :-( I don't know why.

Tsundere Riya makes it better.
LOADDec 11, 2014 10:23 PM
Dec 11, 2014 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
I'm two volumes in~ One more to go.

One thing I don't really like about it so far.. it's kind of dark? Or unhappy to read? No typical BL fluff or whatnot. :<
Senpai is weird, yup. I don't really like this senpai --> <-- MC/mc2 --> other guy relationship going on. >_>
Dec 11, 2014 10:26 PM

Apr 2014
And apparently there's this other series that the author published on his(MC's) cousin Saki x Riya.

...creepy

Edit: Nevermind. It's actually a side story about Saki and some other guy. LOL.
LOADDec 11, 2014 10:31 PM
Dec 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Apr 2014
Oh thank god. The author intended for Kousaka to be disliked.
Dec 12, 2014 5:36 AM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
I'm two volumes in~ One more to go.

One thing I don't really like about it so far.. it's kind of dark? Or unhappy to read? No typical BL fluff or whatnot. :<
Senpai is weird, yup. I don't really like this senpai --> <-- MC/mc2 --> other guy relationship going on. >_>
Lol true. If you've read what he did next then you'll be creeped out. Scary guy. I thought he was hot tho.
Dec 12, 2014 5:41 AM

Dec 2012
I finished it. It was good. I gotta say the story was a clusterfuck to read. I couldn't understand the conflict since nothing was mentioned about it near the end. Riya's character kept changing a lot too. Also the way the relationship with this senpai came in threw me off, I mean, I was going along reading it nicely. Getting a nice atmosphere, thinking Ikeda's going to be the only guy but then he shows up >_> i really dislike love triangles man.
Dec 12, 2014 5:43 AM

Dec 2012
LOAD said:
Nevermind. It's actually a side story about Saki and some other guy. LOL.
Oh, the hot uncle? Heehh. Totally reading next.
Dec 12, 2014 3:31 PM

Apr 2014
rothrock said:
If you've read what he did next then you'll be creeped out. Scary guy. I thought he was hot tho.
Usually I have no problems with those pushy overbearing semes or male leads, but Kousaka just.... is a horrible character. I've finished the series and can clearly say I strongly dislike Kousaka. I think it was because of Riya's circumstances that made me hate Kousaka all the more. Seriously, that moment with him threatening to break Riya's finger made me sick to the stomach. Frickin hell. For a pretty face, Kousaka sure has a personality that makes me want to throw up.

Anyways, talking about the series now that I've finished it:
It got boring around the end of volume 1 and beginning of volume 2, but it picked up from there when they revealed more about Riya. I do really like the clear distinction the author made between Kousaka and Ikeda and their behaviour towards Riya. I thought it was a little weird how focused the plot was about sex near the end, but I can see why (other than for fanservice purposes). I guess like, Riya has had such traumatizing experiences with physical abuse, so sex was kind of a different "physical experience" that expressed- or is supposed to express- love instead.
I know I've said I hated Kousaka 9248529 times, but I can also understand why he is the way he is. Posessing someone (physically, usually) is the way he expresses that he loves them or whatever. Though it annoys me that white Riya fell for him, it does make sense I suppose. Ugh I swear every time Kousaka showed up I wanted to drop the series then and there. At the end, when he said he loved Riya, I just wanted to dive into the manga panel and bitch slap the heck out of him LMAO.

The ending was alright. I don't usually like when authors do the "xx years later" type of happy ending because it seems like such a cheap tactic to use, but it didn't improve or worsen the series for me. At least it was a happy ending.

Final thought tho:
I hate that Kousaka did more ecchi things with Riya than Ikeda did. (And Ikeda's dreams don't count.)
Dec 12, 2014 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao you really hate Kousaka.
Dec 12, 2014 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
LOAD said:
rothrock said:
If you've read what he did next then you'll be creeped out. Scary guy. I thought he was hot tho.
Usually I have no problems with those pushy overbearing semes or male leads, but Kousaka just.... is a horrible character. I've finished the series and can clearly say I strongly dislike Kousaka. I think it was because of Riya's circumstances that made me hate Kousaka all the more. Seriously, that moment with him threatening to break Riya's finger made me sick to the stomach. Frickin hell. For a pretty face, Kousaka sure has a personality that makes me want to throw up.
Yes. I wouldn't have minded seeing a side-story of him falling in love with someone else and improving his sick twisted mind.
LOAD said:
Final thought tho:
I hate that Kousaka did more ecchi things with Riya than Ikeda did. (And Ikeda's dreams don't count.)
Lol, this too.
Dec 12, 2014 4:23 PM

Dec 2012
The artwork got really good at the end but the scanlations got worse. I'm definitely checking out the author's other works.
Dec 12, 2014 4:47 PM

Dec 2012
Anyone else with some final thoughts? We're deciding the next manga already.
Dec 12, 2014 4:48 PM

Jul 2012
I'll post mine later >< Gotta study and then I can finish this series >A<
Dec 12, 2014 4:52 PM

Dec 2012
Alrighty then o7
Dec 15, 2014 8:11 PM

Jul 2012
Finished it on the train after my exam was over...Every time a smut scene popped up I had to throw my phone back in my bad >_>

'Kay a few things. Damn, Kousaka is really good looking but what a jerk. lol I was kind of rooting for him at one point but then he's like "Ima break yo fingers if you don't appreciate me, Riya." then I'm like, fuck this I'm done with this ship

This manga was misleading...I agree with you guys, there are so many Kousaka x Riya ecchi scenes but only like one or two for the actual canon couple. It's so weird. I kept on thinking that Kousaka would end up with Riya (typical abusive yaoi couple) and then Ikeda would have another guy. Weird.

I didn't like that sex was the main focus of this. I'm really into music-centric stories and I felt like this could have been done in a more...idk, pure kind of way instead of Riya begging Ikeda for the D multiple times. The whole black/white personality thing was done really poorly imo. I felt like the writer kept all of the mysteries hidden too long which made the first few chapters really messy.

However, I like how everything was handled in the end, I guess. Just thought the whole thing could have been done better lol. and yeah, the art improved at the end.
Dec 15, 2014 8:24 PM

Dec 2012
mayukachan said:
I didn't like that sex was the main focus of this. I'm really into music-centric stories and I felt like this could have been done in a more...idk, pure kind of way
Ah, this threw me off too. The cover was deceiving v_v. I expected it to be more bittersweet as well. Booo.

Time for Ichikawa Kei, this should be good.
Dec 15, 2014 10:59 PM

Apr 2014
yiss
I'll be re-reading it before this week ends :>

I practically worship ichikawa now LOL I was on her pixiv the other day and I was almost in tears. I love her art so much
Dec 16, 2014 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
[size=90]
Week 2 is up!
Dec 16, 2014 12:57 PM

Jul 2012
Dec 16, 2014 6:00 PM

Dec 2012
Lol I love that gif.
LOAD said:
I practically worship ichikawa now LOL I was on her pixiv the other day and I was almost in tears. I love her art so much
Pixiv?!
Dec 16, 2014 7:50 PM

Apr 2014
http://touch.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1958674

have to sign up to see all of her posts :-(
Dec 16, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
I have an account ;D it's totally worth it man. Looks like she did a bunch of Gintama fanart too :o
Dec 16, 2014 7:57 PM

Apr 2014
yeahskdjdjhd I died.
I found my favorite gin x hiji picture on there ;v;;;;;
thanks the stars she's a big gintama fan. or at least it seems like it.

she also draws females so nicely I was like holy crap ;v; her asuka picture is so awesome.
Dec 19, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
Ohayyyy I finished Colourful Line. It was pretty cute overall. I liked the added bits of comedy and the art style is quite nice! It's interesting too, to see a love rival that's not a male for once.

Um um, does the author write anything smutty? Out of curiosity ;3
Dec 19, 2014 6:12 PM

Apr 2014
I've only read her works that are already on MAL (aside ones from anthologies) and none of them are. I haven't read this one:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/62857/Kocchi_Muite_Waratte

But I can't find it translated ;v;
Dec 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
Just re-read it. Ichikawa is my BL god ;v;;;;

It was just so adorable. I absolutely loved the beginning of the manga, because it wasn't the "hi I'm the MC and I've been in love with my osananajimi for xx years" cliche.
sdjkflksdjf I don't know where to start. I just loved everything. Just as usual, Ichikawa makes an interesting (and very cute) pair of MCs. Reading it for the second time made me understand Shou's character better. It was so enjoyable having him as the main character, because he's not the type to be open or revealing about anything (like the typical uke) y'know? One of my favorite parts about the manga was the bonus at the very end. Really nice touch by the author to show some of Shou's development ;v; It's cheesy but I loved it.

I initially gave it an 8, but bumped it up to a 9. It's high, but... it just goes to show how much I really liked it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggestion/Request [Closed] ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Roth - Oct 31, 2014

242 by Roth »»
Mar 23, 2023 8:00 PM

Sticky: » C H A T v.1 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Roth - Nov 6, 2014

5990 by Roth »»
Feb 17, 2023 1:21 PM

Sticky: » Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Roth - Nov 8, 2014

285 by Potato_Teresa »»
Feb 12, 2023 11:46 AM

Sticky: » [CLOSED] Official Member Cards v2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Roth - Apr 17, 2015

215 by moonbox »»
Jan 20, 2023 11:21 AM

Sticky: » ✿ BL Recommendations ✿ ( 1 2 )

Mayuka - Mar 9, 2015

81 by Rin4321 »»
Nov 26, 2020 11:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.