Forum Settings
Forums

How different would anime scores be, if the only way to watch anime was to buy them?

New
Nov 23, 2014 9:22 AM

Feb 2014
I think it would be a lot different.
People would at least try to think if they are gonna like something before they buy it, and there would be a lot less hate, because people would try to watch genre they like.

I could say a lot about this but I want to see what MAL users think.

[*]The only way to watch an anime is to buy the DVD(keep in mind that they are quite expensive,so you wouldn't be able to watch 10 a day)
[*]No, you don't have infinite money.

EDIT:Since many opinions are similar, I'll put another question out there

Do you think that piracy actually helps anime then? or is it something that hinders the growth of the anime industry?
Futa-chin_KosukiNov 24, 2014 1:00 PM
Nov 23, 2014 9:24 AM

Jul 2014
Since people will probably buy stuff they might like or appeal to them, everything will most likely be rated higher i guess. and i would feel sad for anyone who bought Mars of Destruction because of a troll recommendation.
Nov 23, 2014 9:33 AM

Dec 2013
Okashi_sama said:
Since people will probably buy stuff they might like or appeal to them, everything will most likely be rated higher i guess. and i would feel sad for anyone who bought Mars of Destruction because of a troll recommendation.

I dont think anyone would buy Mars of Destruction then. People will watch the trial or something like that
Nov 23, 2014 9:34 AM

Feb 2010
I probably would never have gotten into anime in the first place if I didn't dl some stuff on a whim ten years ago because I was bored and remembered enjoying DBZ as a kid.

As for MAL, the scores would be higher for older and niche shows, but I think for mainstream stuff not much would change.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 23, 2014 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
Some anime DVD/BD's are rare and expensive as fk. It'd be a lot more difficult for animes to get attention, that's for sure.
Nov 23, 2014 9:42 AM

Oct 2014
Okashi_sama said:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2014 10:17 AM

Feb 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I probably would never have gotten into anime in the first place if I didn't dl some stuff on a whim ten years ago because I was bored and remembered enjoying DBZ as a kid.

As for MAL, the scores would be higher for older and niche shows, but I think for mainstream stuff not much would change.

Lancehot said:
If you had to buy DVDs to watch anime, there'd be no one watching it so MALs scores would all read 0.

assuming that you would somehow get into it?
Nov 23, 2014 10:25 AM

Mar 2014
It would be exactly how Videogame scores are now. If it didn't get a 9/10, no one would buy it. The most hyped shows would get a lot of sales, good ratings but also get a lot of hate.
Nov 23, 2014 10:26 AM

Feb 2010
hentai_eucli said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Lancehot said:
If you had to buy DVDs to watch anime, there'd be no one watching it so MALs scores would all read 0.

assuming that you would somehow get into it?

Do we also assume that everything is available?

In any case I can't really answer the question satsifyingly since I can't imagine how my mindset would be without the ability to download everything (not limited to anime) before I buy it. I'm so used to it that from todays perspective I'd probably try out a lot less stuff, stick to franchises I already know I like and aside from that I'd mostly try out the more mature, serious, sci-fi, psychological, artsy hipster kind of series since those were the genres I enjoyed when I started anime (and before that). But if I never got used to the availabilty of downloads I may not think that way and just buy all kinds of stuff blind since I wouldn't know anything else.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 23, 2014 10:28 AM

Feb 2013
lots of shit would have 0 views heh
Nov 23, 2014 10:29 AM

Jun 2014
I would have only watched like 8 anime.
Nov 23, 2014 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
People would still lie about the number they watched.
Less hate, maybe. Then again the average rating of a show is around "good (7) right now, so I'm not that sure that we have that much hate from the crowd around here.
Also, since far less people would watch each shows, you would have less advice before buying something, and therefore more chance to mess up in what you buy, ending up disapointed, frustrated to have spend a lot of money in that crap, and rating even lower something that you would just have dropped otherwise without caring that much.
Nov 23, 2014 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
IMO, if people invest so much that their public image overlaps with their anime taste w/o purchasing much or anything, the howl would be 3 times higher when spending real money has to be justified (be it for a key-chain or DVDs).
Changing one's mindset from consumer's to client's might affect every purchase (not anime only) and, generally speaking, tends to be more (falsely) affirmative - a few people would admit they buy shitty cars, profile systems, or anime.
Nov 23, 2014 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
Zefyris said:
Less hate, maybe. Then again the average rating of a show is around "good (7) right now, so I'm not that sure that we have that much hate from the crowd around here.
Also, since far less people would watch each shows, you would have less advice before buying something, and therefore more chance to mess up in what you buy, ending up disapointed, frustrated to have spend a lot of money in that crap, and rating even lower something that you would just have dropped otherwise without caring that much.
or perhaps, due to post-purchase rationalization, you'd still find the good parts in anime you buy
who needs advice anyway
Nov 23, 2014 10:39 AM
Mar 2013
anime would be a lot less popular so I doubt MAL would even exist so there wouldn't be any ratings
Nov 23, 2014 10:40 AM

Feb 2014
romagia said:
Zefyris said:
or perhaps, due to post-purchase rationalization, you'd still find the good parts in anime you buy
who needs advice anyway

most people need advice.
most people have little, to no skill on selecting something they will like.
Nov 23, 2014 10:49 AM
Sep 2014
Higher scores ofc
Nov 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
Then there would be a lot less anime fans, which would change the ratings since you would only buy a show if you would like it, right?
Nov 23, 2014 12:18 PM

May 2013
We'd get a lot more 10s and 1s (9s and 2s too, but you know what I mean). On one hand, people would only purchase what they think they would love. On the other, if it is not what they expect, the money they "wasted" on the title will cause them to rate the show a lot lower than they would have done had they not invested anything into it.
Nov 23, 2014 1:40 PM

Dec 2012
Nothing would be watched or rated here, because this site is filled with bloddy pirates.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 23, 2014 1:42 PM

Jun 2014
Kruszer said:
Nothing would be watched or rated here, because this site is filled with bloddy pirates.

We would have alot better ratings. And by better I mean angry.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Nov 24, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
hentai_eucli said:

most people need advice.
most people have little, to no skill on selecting something they will like.

That's beside the point. By advice, I was talking about reviews especially.
Judging by synopsis alone is bound to make a lot of mistake in your choice. It's far too easy to make a story start in an original manner but completely disappoint after it. So reviews are necessary. i've been using this method to buy LN and I can vouch for it. Without reviews, I would have made a lot of mistakes.
Nov 24, 2014 5:46 AM
Nov 2013
sullynathan said:
It would be exactly how Videogame scores are now. If it didn't get a 9/10, no one would buy it. The most hyped shows would get a lot of sales, good ratings but also get a lot of hate.

Oh yeah, god I hate this market... But can't deny I do that myself. If it's not a 8/10 or higher I'll think twice before buying. Yeah, I guess it would be the same as well. Overall, I hate videogame scores and reviews and how people react to them (included me).
Nov 24, 2014 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
Kolnikov said:
sullynathan said:

Oh yeah, god I hate this market... But can't deny I do that myself. If it's not a 8/10 or higher I'll think twice before buying. Yeah, I guess it would be the same as well. Overall, I hate videogame scores and reviews and how people react to them (included me).

I too think this would happen. Most people would only go after the series with the highest ratings, making niche shows even more niche. I think some would be more likely to use the whole list, however; spending money tends to put things into perspective.

I probably wouldn't be seeing as many anime, in any case. I might end up missing out on more series too thanks to caution in spending. (Assuming there's no way to preview.)
Nov 24, 2014 12:16 PM

Jul 2012
Goodbye Anime...

Well, if I had the money to waste on it, I'd be so butthurt and mad for buying and watching shit series and wasting my precious money on it. I would score even harsher than I do now.
Nov 24, 2014 12:17 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, not many anime at all would be sold outside of Japan since there'd be nearly no market for it due to nobody knowing what it was.
Nov 24, 2014 12:55 PM

Oct 2013
i have not watched something on dvd since 2006
Nov 24, 2014 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
We'd get a lot more 10s and 1s (9s and 2s too, but you know what I mean). On one hand, people would only purchase what they think they would love. On the other, if it is not what they expect, the money they "wasted" on the title will cause them to rate the show a lot lower than they would have done had they not invested anything into it.

LOL Exactly this
I'd give things I would have rated a 6 or 7, a 1/10 if I felt like my money was wasted.
Nov 24, 2014 12:59 PM

Feb 2014
Since many opinions are similar, I'll put another question out there

Do you think that piracy actually helps anime then? or is it something that hinders the growth of the anime industry?

I ll put it in the op too.
Nov 24, 2014 5:26 PM

Nov 2014
Less people would know anime. There would be less new anime fans, so most people would be more experienced anime watchers. I'd dare say the scores of mal would be more accurate

Oh but the scores would be more susceptible to fluctuations
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 24, 2014 5:46 PM

Mar 2013
I would quit watching Anime after DBZ.
Nov 24, 2014 5:50 PM
Mar 2011
anime vets like me or space cowboy would get asked for recs more
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 24, 2014 8:28 PM

Nov 2011
hentai_eucli said:

I'm assuming you mean the financial aspect: Yes, I do think it helps since hardly anyone would know or care about anime otherwise. Many pirates end up buying DVDs or other merchandise when they're available, which is a sale they wouldn't otherwise get. Beyond that, anime needs to be more readily accessible (legitimately) before I would consider piracy a problem.

If you're just referring more to the perception of anime, then sure. Stuff that can be gotten for free tends to be viewed more favorably.

A bit off topic, but you make some nice threads. It's odd how quickly they die since people are always complaining about the "same old crap" sort of threads.
Nov 24, 2014 8:36 PM

May 2014
people would probably only watch those others have already seen and so money is cycled as people who already bought dvds would sell theirs to their friends and so on. i guess piracy in this case would help. those who torrent will spread the word. those who don't know how to torrent buys the actual dvd.
Nov 24, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
Ratings would probably be more derping or refined as people can easily abuse the system even more with people not being able to watch it or those who actually put effort into rating (lol, effort) may actually use the scores right.

Any Aniplex anime would be pretty hilarious though.
Nov 24, 2014 8:47 PM

Oct 2012
LoGH would have even less followers as I don't think any country outside of Japan has licensed it so you'd have to import the raws which is expensive as hell.
Nov 24, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2014
I personally love buying anime~ I've payed mad bucks on them. Though, not everyone shares my mindset and numerous ratings would get skewered.
Nov 24, 2014 10:03 PM

Jun 2012
Assuming I wouldnt be able to watch the dub on TV I'd probably just stop watching anime. $60+ for like 13 eps. No. Not worth it.
Nov 25, 2014 12:12 AM

Mar 2014
Kruszer said:

This is very true.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Nov 25, 2014 12:14 AM

Jun 2014
StrawberryRain said:
Kruszer said:

This is very true.

New MAL theme song? ^
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Nov 25, 2014 3:59 AM
May 2009
Lot less fans, and probably alot more works won't exist.
The Moe thing might have taken alot longer to boom.
And TV shows like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan, Gintama, Doraemon, Shin Chan, might become more OVAish.

Probably be lot less anime out there if it must be brought, since there would be no or little advertising revenue or sponsor revenue.

Since the show would have to be promoted using alot of means.
Nov 25, 2014 4:13 AM
Mar 2011
shintai88 said:
Lot less fans, and probably alot more works won't exist.
The Moe thing might have taken alot longer to boom.
And TV shows like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan, Gintama, Doraemon, Shin Chan, might become more OVAish.

Probably be lot less anime out there if it must be brought, since there would be no or little advertising revenue or sponsor revenue.

Since the show would have to be promoted using alot of means.

ever here of TV Ratings ys the naruto anime would not have been as long but mos the the others you listed would have been
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 25, 2014 5:23 AM

Jul 2014
Dark_Chaos said:

10/10 agreed with this .
Nov 25, 2014 5:36 AM

Apr 2013
Kruszer said:

Nov 30, 2014 4:24 AM
Oct 2014
There would definitely be less anime in countries beside Japan. I think there would also be, for the few anime that would outside of Japan, a lot more broadcasting on TV - licencors would have no other way to get a feel for how the show is performing in their respective nation. A lot less people would be able to access anime, since they would probably only air on things like cable. satelite, sky etc. Whereas now, you only need a PC/Laptop/Tablet/Smartphone and some wifi.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
34 seconds ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

66 by shiro-seishun »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.