Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 21, 2014 9:36 PM

Aug 2014
Jesus. That last part had me on the verge of tears.
We're all afraid.
This has to be one of the most emotional anime i've ever seen.
it's so beautiufl lol
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Nov 21, 2014 9:38 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
surfboard_ said:

Did you picked it? Does it inform the performers for every piece?

Uhhh not who performs it but here
It's just a CD with the performance pieces. :/

So theres Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov and Debussy to come, such misfortune.
Nov 21, 2014 9:50 PM
Jan 2014
surfboard_ said:
mayukachan said:

Uhhh not who performs it but here
It's just a CD with the performance pieces. :/

So theres Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov and Debussy to come, such misfortune.

What's wrong with these composers?
Nov 21, 2014 10:30 PM

Feb 2014
PrinceTY said:

Not my cup of tea. Debussy got some pretty good stuff, but for piano and violin music (considering Kousei and Kaori) I think the world has left plenty of better works from many other composers that are usually overshadowed by them. Its not that it really matters in the end, I think that almost anything can work for this show.
Nov 21, 2014 10:32 PM

Oct 2013
Just how philosophical elementary student or junior high can be?
Seriously, I hate this part of the series
"Burn the heretics"
Nov 22, 2014 1:50 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode still set to the same pattern seen in the past, the narrative that focuses on Arima and the past that blocks it, but also to see other aspects of his past, as his opponents.
The atmosphere is still very addictive, especially in the second part.
The design is still fabulous and animations are no different. Fabulous scenarios played with minimal detail.
I await the next episode to listen to some music.
Nov 22, 2014 4:06 AM

Sep 2014
This series is getting so good.
Nov 22, 2014 6:53 AM

May 2014
Toaki90 said:
Just how philosophical elementary student or junior high can be?
Seriously, I hate this part of the series

Well, it is better than my past school life. So thats why I like it, besides... the show as it is now, to me, its like watching a book come to life.
Every dialog has that literary feel. Like a line straight from the best novels.
I liked this episode has always. Although the ending made me pray for a miracle that releases the entire show so I can binge watch it and get to the end.
Nov 22, 2014 11:51 AM

Mar 2014
I can't stop looking at that dude's absurd spiky hair, it's kind of distracting...
Nov 22, 2014 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
surfboard_ said:
PrinceTY said:

Not my cup of tea. Debussy got some pretty good stuff, but for piano and violin music (considering Kousei and Kaori) I think the world has left plenty of better works from many other composers that are usually overshadowed by them. Its not that it really matters in the end, I think that almost anything can work for this show.

Well, it looks like a pianist will be soloing Clair de Lune some time in the next few episodes. It's a nice piece. :3
Nov 22, 2014 11:55 AM

Mar 2013
Great episode.
not alot of plot progress here but nice build up episode to what coming next >
Watari lose the soccer game and is chance to become a star,
Kousei still scare of going on stage and cant let is memories go
and Kaori still try to cheer him up and get him out of it,
more back story of the 2 new characters and Kousei childhood.

I really enjoy this episode, next time the competition start :)
i hope Kousei wouldnt end up ruined is name on stage, feel like is friends
pushing him to much before he is ready.

Watari is already a sleep XD
Nov 22, 2014 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:
PrinceTY said:

I'm curious, who are these overshadowed composers you're thinking about ?

By the way, I don't think you should expect Shigatsu to be a show with obscure composers/performers, even if there are great.
I think Shigatsu is determined to be a very accessible anime, it's no coincidence if they only play some of the most famous classical pieces, by the most famous composers.
Exemple : they will play the most famous piano work of Debussy (Clair de Lune from his Suite bergamasque). I'm pretty sure that if Shigatsu was about symphonic music, they would have replaced his Clair de Lune by his Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune, because it's super famous.
And If I remember correctly, they played the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, one of Beethoven most famous piano work, once again.

But I really don't think it's a bad thing, like I said, Shigatsu is simple, accessible and enjoyable to anyone.
I disagree with many things Kaioshin_Sama said, but I think he's right when he says that "A-1 is really trying [...] to play this one up as a prestige project", as a result, this show is trying to be a gateway to classical music, which means that if you're already deeply into classical music, you're not going to learn a lot of new stuff... But hey, I guess it's not a big deal, and as you say, "almost anything can work for this show".

Anyway, they won't play it, but personally, I adore Debussy's Sonata for Violin and Piano.
Nov 22, 2014 5:32 PM

Sep 2011
Dat cliffhanger.
Nov 22, 2014 8:07 PM
Oct 2014
At least the dialogue wasn't so cringy this episode.
Nov 22, 2014 8:34 PM
Jan 2014
TommyTeabags said:

Since when was the dialogue cringy? LOL
Nov 22, 2014 8:37 PM
Oct 2014
PrinceTY said:
TommyTeabags said:

Since when was the dialogue cringy? LOL

Since the first episode. I find it to be quite ostentatious. It's fine if you like this kind of dialogue. I find it to be unrealistic considering this is a story rooted in reality.
Nov 22, 2014 8:56 PM
Feb 2014
Oh... op 10 no 4 next week... that'll b interesting. I've nvr really been familiar with violin pieces, so im looking forward to finally have a piece I'm quute familiar with to judge...

wondering how fast he'll play it.,. (As fast as Richter, maybe? O.O)
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Nov 22, 2014 9:06 PM
Jan 2014
Duri1n said:
Oh... op 10 no 4 next week... that'll b interesting. I've nvr really been familiar with violin pieces, so im looking forward to finally have a piece I'm quute familiar with to judge...

wondering how fast he'll play it.,. (As fast as Richter, maybe? O.O)

People have been saying that famous richter video playing 10/4 was sped up.
Nov 23, 2014 3:44 AM

Jun 2013
Not bad episode, Kaori such a tease.

Thank goodness Arima's mother is dead, she is such a bitch.

When is Arima's hair gonna turn white and when is he gonna start cracking his fingers??
Nov 23, 2014 4:46 AM

May 2014
lucidbrandon said:
When is Arima's hair gonna turn white and when is he gonna start cracking his fingers??
Haha, I can't wait for that episode xD He will become a beast and destroy the ranking while destroying the piano!
Nov 23, 2014 5:00 AM

Jul 2008
A slower pace episode but I enjoyed it :D I doubt Arima will regain his oldself and win the competition with ease, if anything he might be disqualified just like Kaori for some reasons.
Nov 23, 2014 8:52 AM

Feb 2014
-Skyleo- said:

I think I was being a little harsh when I said that citing Debussy. Its not that those are really overshadowing someone (especially in the academic field, which doesn't matter in this case), but having the Industry (not only anime but also cinema) repeating the same formula over and over is literally making the mass to forget talanted composers of their times. I'd rather have Janacek, Carl Nielsen, Edvard Grieg, Varèse, Zemlinsky, Mendelssohn and Vienese Classical (specially Haydn, a key composer for all others that came later). But again, and you got it, its just my taste and it doesn't really matter for the final product in the end, since this isn't a series focused exclusively in music.
Nov 23, 2014 8:58 AM

Oct 2014
lucidbrandon said:

You mean for him to turn from this,

To this.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Nov 23, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2012
FloatingList said:
lucidbrandon said:

You mean for him to turn from this,

To this.

Haha. Omg. What a coincidence. I just realized that Kousei's VA is the one voicing Kaneki too in Tokyo Ghoul. And now in Shigatsu, his name is Arima. Haha. So ironic.
Nov 23, 2014 3:47 PM

Feb 2013
First successfully directed ep so far.
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Nov 23, 2014 7:04 PM
Jul 2018
surfboard_ said:
-Skyleo- said:

I think I was being a little harsh when I said that citing Debussy. Its not that those are really overshadowing someone (especially in the academic field, which doesn't matter in this case), but having the Industry (not only anime but also cinema) repeating the same formula over and over is literally making the mass to forget talanted composers of their times. I'd rather have Janacek, Carl Nielsen, Edvard Grieg, Varèse, Zemlinsky, Mendelssohn and Vienese Classical (specially Haydn, a key composer for all others that came later). But again, and you got it, its just my taste and it doesn't really matter for the final product in the end, since this isn't a series focused exclusively in music.

Ah, I understand what you mean now !
Yes, you're absolutely right, we rarely find these (great) composers in cinema or anime, while they are really famous in the classical music world, it's quite a pity.
Nov 23, 2014 7:31 PM
Jan 2014
surfboard_ said:
-Skyleo- said:

You remind me of a music educator that I know who would only assign repertoire that is not overplayed. The less people who know of the piece, the better it was and as a result many of his students had to deal with obscure random compositions where you couldn't even find youtube recordings of. (sometimes not even a score).

Personally I don't care how many times a Beethoven Sonata had been performed (or butchered) but I'll still take that over a boring Haydn anytime. Boring is subjective. But then again you have to remember your audience. I knew of a music director who stuck to his "classical elitist ego" and programmed an entire concert meant for the non-classical audience with stuffy suffocating sleep inducing pieces that regular people would not just get. Like wise this anime is meant to be accessible and friendly to a wider audience.

Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, Rachmaninoff etc etc despite being overplayed and being "everywhere" and constantly overshadowing composers who may or may not be more talented are still considered to be gateway classical music for people. If you want regular people to enjoy classical music, you can't just force Bach down their throats. Taste evolves/changes over time.
PrinceTYNov 23, 2014 7:38 PM
Nov 23, 2014 7:35 PM

Oct 2010
CLIFFHANGEEEERRRR!!!
lol
Nov 23, 2014 11:03 PM

Feb 2014
PrinceTY said:
You remind me of a music educator that I know who would only assign repertoire that is not overplayed. The less people who know of the piece, the better it was and as a result many of his students had to deal with obscure random compositions where you couldn't even find youtube recordings of. (sometimes not even a score).

Do you remember which composers you had to look up?

PrinceTY said:
But then again you have to remember your audience. I knew of a music director who stuck to his "classical elitist ego" and programmed an entire concert meant for the non-classical audience with stuffy suffocating sleep inducing pieces that regular people would not just get. Like wise this anime is meant to be accessible and friendly to a wider audience.

I agree with the repertoire flexibility for different audiences, but this case is quite different from what I said. Any composer I mentioned are acessible enough for anyone at all, with the exception of Zemlinsky if you choose anything carelessly. Even Scriabin is in the soundtrack, in case you didn't checked.

PrinceTY said:
Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy, Rachmaninoff etc etc despite being overplayed and being "everywhere" and constantly overshadowing composers who may or may not be more talented are still considered to be gateway classical music for people. If you want regular people to enjoy classical music, you can't just force Bach down their throats. Taste evolves/changes over time.

Beethoven isnt overshadowing anyone. He was a brilliant and unique composer, and probably the only that died with the deserved recognition. Similar goes for Chopin and Debussy, even if the latter wasn't good at orchestrating. And I don't think theres really a "gateway" for classical music. People can get into it by literally any work, be it Pictures at Exhibition, Rite of Spring, Bartók' String Quartets, Goldberg Variations or something as old as motets and mass or contemporary minimalism like Glass and Reich. "you can't just force Bach down their throats", what about his Cantatas, Cello suites and keyboard works such as WTC?
Nov 23, 2014 11:07 PM

Jul 2012
PrinceTY said:

This. I think in a classical music anime, it's ideal to have the more popular and well known artists (and pieces) instead of trying to find the best repertoire. People like it more if there's pieces they know like Twinkle Twinkle and Moonlight Sonata rather than less known ones. It's not like everyone who watches it is a big classical nerd and can appreciate everything in the genre.
Nov 24, 2014 12:11 AM
Jan 2014
@surfboard_

People can get into it by literally any work? No. I don't think so. At least for most people. How many times have I heard teenagers proclaiming that they want to learn the piano just to play some Chopin or Beethoven piece. Just look at Youtube and see how many people are dabbling their feet into works like the Moonlight Sonata without having any experience. I have never seen anybody so inspired by Bach's Prelude and Fugues that they actually want to learn an instrument just to play them. Also, you're not going to get much "response" by playing them to a non-classical crowd. Like it or not, a Chopin waltz or etude does the trick most of the time. (same goes for most of the pieces featured in this anime). People are impressed or fascinated. Bach is great. but it takes time to learn to appreciate them.

Unless you come from a classical music family, study music in some way, you're probably not going to be very exposed to classical music given all the "mainstream" music going around these days. If I send the link to the Goldberg variations to all my facebook friends now what percentage of them would actually listen to it completely? I say none. People who listen to 4 min pop songs all the time are not going to be able to adapt to listening to full symphonies overnight. This is why I also say taste evolves over time and stamina is also one big factor.

If you've been attracted to classical music right from the start and are able to appreciate big works right off the bat, congrats. But I don't think it will be easy in this case to fully comprehend the viewpoint of an outsider. People need to be coaxed into classical music. This anime is doing this pretty well. Just out of curiosity, are you a full time musician or student? If not how did you get into classical music?

And yeah I noticed the Scriabin. Op 8 no 12 is a popular piece actually. it's played very often IMO despite the composer being much less popular.

I don't remember all of the obscure composers and piece since I was not the one who had to play them but my friends. But amongst which were Dutilleux, Poulenc, Syzmankowski(sp?), Grainger etc etc etc. Actually not so the composers, more of the pieces. It actually felt more like "as long as the piece is not popular, it's okay to play it". so naturally beethoven sonatas, chopin ballades blah blah blah were all out. In a no questions asked kind of style.

Then again, classical music itself is a very broad genre. Being a pianist myself I listen to piano works 99% of the time and the 1% of the time it's probably some concerto and stuff. I haven't heard stuff like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring before. (I should, but...) and I should be listening to more orchestral works. I always tell myself that but when it comes to listening for pleasure I always find myself more inclined towards the Liszt Sonata or the late Beethoven Sonatas. I consider myself to really like and enjoy classical music, but I still find it hard to really listen to Bach's WTC for pleasure.

Long post. And we're already straying away from the anime. but anyway my point is that. The selection of pieces in this anime seems pretty appropriate to me if the aim is to attract a wider audience. Whether you like classical music or not, most people are going to wow at chopin's 10/4 next week. And it does seem that they're cutting out the Bach because in the manga every contestant had to prepare 1 WTC and 1 Chopin etude.
PrinceTYNov 24, 2014 12:14 AM
Nov 24, 2014 1:03 AM

Feb 2014
PrinceTY said:
People can get into it by literally any work? No. I don't think so. At least for most people. How many times have I heard teenagers proclaiming that they want to learn the piano just to play some Chopin or Beethoven piece. Just look at Youtube and see how many people are dabbling their feet into works like the Moonlight Sonata without having any experience. I have never seen anybody so inspired by Bach's Prelude and Fugues that they actually want to learn an instrument just to play them. Also, you're not going to get much "response" by playing them to a non-classical crowd. Like it or not, a Chopin waltz or etude does the trick most of the time. (same goes for most of the pieces featured in this anime). People are impressed or fascinated. Bach is great. but it takes time to learn to appreciate them.

I think we're more of thinking about our own life experiences. "People can get into it by literally any work?" Yes, according to the idea of probability (Some people does, some doesn't, and this will repeat in a certain proportion forever. We can't predict with a hundred percent precision how someone will react to a certain work from any composer).

"How many times have I heard teenagers proclaiming that they want to learn the piano just to play some Chopin or Beethoven piece. Just look at Youtube and see how many people are dabbling their feet into works like the Moonlight Sonata without having any experience. I have never seen anybody so inspired by Bach's Prelude and Fugues that they actually want to learn an instrument just to play them." I think its an expected scenario. Not only Bach's Prelude and Fugues works are a lot more complicated to peform (inb4 we need the correct mindset and cultural knowledge in order to be able to properly play Beethoven), they are not meant to be played casually, but to study and apprimorate your musical knowledge and technique (its even considered The Old Testament of Classical Music).

"Bach is great. but it takes time to learn to appreciate them". You don't need to know music to enjoy part of his works. In anime you can, for example, find a degenerate-adaptation of his first cello suite in Hyouka, and in White Album 2, Kazuza plays a piece for 3 voices (Number 2, can't find the catalogue number right now). Even my cat comes to my room to take a nap if I put some Contrapunctus from Art of Fugue to play (this actually happens hehe).

PrinceTY said:
Just out of curiosity, are you a full time musician or student? If not how did you get into classical music?

Currently its a hobby, and this year I decided to take cello lessons (aiming to be good enough to join an Orchestra if I don't manage to find work after graduating). I think music (as well classical) has been through my life since forever. I had obligatory music classes during elementary and middle school. I'm considering studying composition later, if a good oportunity comes.

PrinceTY said:
Being a pianist myself I listen to piano works 99% of the time and the 1% of the time it's probably some concerto and stuff. I haven't heard stuff like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring before. (I should, but...) and I should be listening to more orchestral works. I always tell myself that but when it comes to listening for pleasure I always find myself more inclined towards the Liszt Sonata or the late Beethoven Sonatas. I consider myself to really like and enjoy classical music, but I still find it hard to really listen to Bach's WTC for pleasure.

Pianist's hard life. You must have a huge repertoire to pay attention. I started looking for Orchestral works, but right now I'm a chamber-music person.
I think WTC is very dynamic and varied (unless its a harpsichord performance), its great if you listen to two or three pieces, but its pretty complicated to go through everything at once.

PrinceTY said:
we're already straying away from the anime

Theres no problem in these types of posts when more of the half are just short statments about the obvious. Its even good for those who read by accident.

PrinceTY said:
And it does seem that they're cutting out the Bach because in the manga every contestant had to prepare 1 WTC and 1 Chopin etude

Did you notice that the first player in the competition played the first prelude from WTC book 2? I guess that only Kousei's case will be different.
Since the manga will end together with the anime, I didnt bothered reading it.
Nov 24, 2014 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
PrinceTY said:

I was going to say something like "it's up to each person", but I must admit what you said is often true, this is exactly how it works for the vast majority of people. I've just thinking about it.

However, if, as surfboard, I thought that people can really "get into it by literally any work", it's because, personally, what gave me the desire to listen to classical and seriously study it was composers like Ravel, Scriabin, Fauré, Prokofiev, Mahler or Bartók. I didn't really liked Chopin or even Beethoven a few years ago.
And I don't come from a "classical music family" at all (not even a "music family"), I always loved jazz music, and I initially come from old video game music yo.

When I started to learn the piano at conservatory (in order to learn composition, in a classical way), I had to play some Mozart or Beethoven stuff, and I was easily bored by them, I was like "meh".
Eventually, the first piece I liked to play during my first year of piano was a Bartók, and then a Debussy. I guess I'm naturally inclined to like very rich harmonies that we find more in 20th century classical composers than romantic or classical (the period).

But yeah, I see where you're coming from.
It's just that, in my case for example, it took me more time to learn to appreciate composers like Lizst or even Mozart (I always prefered Haydn) than Stravinsky or Scriabin, and I didn't have any background in classical music.
And even today, I still find it quite difficult to listen to Mozart while I listened to all Ravel's work.
removed-userNov 24, 2014 2:03 AM
Nov 24, 2014 2:13 AM
Jan 2014
surfboard_ said:
Did you notice that the first player in the competition played the first prelude from WTC book 2? I guess that only Kousei's case will be different.
Since the manga will end together with the anime, I didnt bothered reading it.

Yeah. I noticed the Bach PF in last week's episode. The sudden switch to Schubert's Sonata was a little strange because technically the competition was supposed to be Chopin & Bach. The producers probably didn't care. The pieces weren't mentioned in the manga anyway and so they thought they could do any piece they wanted. It's a nice tribute to Nodame Cantabile though.

surfboard_ said:
Pianist's hard life. You must have a huge repertoire to pay attention. I started looking for Orchestral works, but right now I'm a chamber-music person.
I think WTC is very dynamic and varied (unless its a harpsichord performance), its great if you listen to two or three pieces, but its pretty complicated to go through everything at once.

Chamber music, admittedly, is a part of classical music I have yet to explore. And yes. it's extremely tiring to try to listen to the entire WTC in one go. me and a few friends tried that. it was hard.

surfboard_ said:
I think its an expected scenario. Not only Bach's Prelude and Fugues works are a lot more complicated to peform (inb4 we need the correct mindset and cultural knowledge in order to be able to properly play Beethoven), they are not meant to be played casually, but to study and apprimorate your musical knowledge and technique (its even considered The Old Testament of Classical Music).

"Bach is great. but it takes time to learn to appreciate them". You don't need to know music to enjoy part of his works. In anime you can, for example, find a degenerate-adaptation of his first cello suite in Hyouka, and in White Album 2, Kazuza plays a piece for 3 voices (Number 2, can't find the catalogue number right now). Even my cat comes to my room to take a nap if I put some Contrapunctus from Art of Fugue to play (this actually happens hehe).

To be fair, any repertoire of a certain level needs to be properly studied. Chopin etudes or Beethoven Sonatas are also not to be played casually. Definitely. My point is not it's difficulty or it's maturity required. It's the attractiveness of a piece to most people. Bach is generally not too attractive to casual listeners. Well at least relative to Chopin, Beethoven, Debussy. Which I guess is why the author choose those pieces over others.

Technically you do not need to know "music" to enjoy any composer. People like what they like. I get it when Bach is used as OST/BGM. It's pretty common I know. Classical music does work sometimes as BGM for film. But in this case we're taking about pieces IN an anime, and being performed in it. If Arima played Bach, or some Haydn sonata for example, it would have left a lot less impact on the non classical music audience.

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to get a person interested in this whole classical music thing is to feed them a little Chopin. Or maybe a little Beethoven. Get them interested in that Ballade no 1 or the Pathetique Sonata first. Like I said, taste change and evolve over time. My piano teacher claims that it takes him an average of 5-8 years before a student tells him that he wants to play Bach voluntarily and that is because our taste change over time. People don't come to learn about Ravel or Prokofiev the first day. You listen to lots of Chopin, Mozart and all the other very famous composers first before coming down to the slightly less famous composers. It's like anime, watching more and more anime changes your taste without knowing.
Nov 24, 2014 2:18 AM
Jan 2014
-Skyleo- said:

I was going to say something like "it's up to each person", but I must admit what you said is often true, this is exactly how it works for the vast majority of people. I've just thinking about it.

However, if, as surfboard, I thought that people can really "get into it by literally any work", it's because, personally, what gave me the desire to listen to classical and seriously study it was composers like Ravel, Scriabin, Fauré, Prokofiev, Mahler or Bartók. I didn't really liked Chopin or even Beethoven a few years ago.
And I don't come from a "classical music family" at all (not even a "music family"), I always loved jazz music, and I initially come from old video game music yo.

When I started to learn the piano at conservatory (in order to learn composition, in a classical way), I had to play some Mozart or Beethoven stuff, and I was easily bored by them, I was like "meh".
Eventually, the first piece I liked to play during my first year of piano was a Bartók, and then a Debussy. I guess I'm naturally inclined to like very rich harmonies that we find more in 20th century classical composers than romantic or classical (the period).

But yeah, I see where you're coming from.
It's just that, in my case for example, it took me more time to learn to appreciate composers like Lizst or even Mozart (I always prefered Haydn) than Stravinsky or Scriabin, and I didn't have any background in classical music.
And even today, I still find it quite difficult to listen to Mozart while I listened to all Ravel's work.

Yeah. Indeed. It really depends. We have no actual way of actually knowing what works for "most people" besides doing polls and surveys which are unreliable. The demographic and whether music background or no matters too. Then again, I am inclined to believe that "most people" will find Chopin more attractive over other composers like Haydn or Bach.

You have pretty unique taste actually. Almost every pianist friend I have started off with liking Chopin/Beethoven. But I think your jazz background might have something to do with preferring 20th century composers.

And SkyLeo. sorry I flamed at you accidentally the last time. I didn't know you were joking. LOL
PrinceTYNov 24, 2014 2:41 AM
Nov 24, 2014 9:22 AM
Nov 2013
Am I the only who thinks this is going downgrade very fast? They waste more time with this pseudo-psychological bullcrap than doing music. And why they have to force everything? So cringeworthy... Well, on the other hand Shirobako just gets better and better, and show how to make a nice SoL, without being too cheesy like Shigatsu. Why it is so hard to create something more subtle and really focused on music? Damn.
Nov 24, 2014 10:29 AM

Oct 2007
Kolnikov said:
Am I the only who thinks this is going downgrade very fast? They waste more time with this pseudo-psychological bullcrap than doing music. And why they have to force everything? So cringeworthy... Well, on the other hand Shirobako just gets better and better, and show how to make a nice SoL, without being too cheesy like Shigatsu. Why it is so hard to create something more subtle and really focused on music? Damn.

It's more like some people are going to and having been coming crashing down to reality and realizing what kind of story it actually is once the whole beautification gimmick wears thin. Well I mean not that MAL seems to mind an overwrought product, quite the opposite actually, but it's certainly not for everyone. Shirobako just seems like a much more low key, focused and road less traveled kind of show period though being about the trials and tribulations of making anime as opposed to teen melodrama and angst stuff. Then again it's also not an Aniplex show that seems like it's trying to dazzle and keep people hyped up over a whole lot of nothing all the time so very different kind of approach.
Nov 24, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2012
Kolnikov said:

How is something like Shigatsu comparable to Shirobako? One is SOL and one is heavy melodrama. I feel like Shigatsu's been consistently high (episode 4 high point, episode 5 lowest point, episode 6 back to strong point) while Shirobako's just on a medium entertainment level for me.

Then again, opinions.
Nov 24, 2014 12:14 PM

Feb 2014
PrinceTY said:
Chamber music, admittedly, is a part of classical music I have yet to explore.

You should. Its smaller and more intimate with compared with orchestral works. Formats like String Quartets are a way to show how good a composer actually is (if we're speaking about knowledge). If you find yourself some time just check famous SQs like Beethoven's latest works, Schubert's SQ No. 13, Mozart's Haydn set. If you have something against Vienese Classical, try Bartók, Villa-Lobos instead. Its as complete as you can imagine it is. Similarly, there are String Quintets.

Kolnikov said:

This show is pretty different from Shirobako, but if you have to choose only one to keep on, Shirobako reigns quite superior so far.
Nov 24, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
PrinceTY said:
Chamber music, admittedly, is a part of classical music I have yet to explore. And yes. it's extremely tiring to try to listen to the entire WTC in one go. me and a few friends tried that. it was hard.

YOOO Chamber music was my life... ;_; It's actually so much funner to participate in chamber than in other kinds of ensembles (band/symphony/marching) mostly because of the skills you develop. It's also more challenging as you have to play according to how others are playing.

If you want an anime that focuses on it, I can recommend La Corda D'oro Blue Sky (not a really good anime but nice repertoire overall)
Nov 24, 2014 12:26 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
If you want an anime that focuses on it, I can recommend La Corda D'oro Blue Sky (not a really good anime but nice repertoire overall)

There is a pretty low rating on MAL, I'll take a look on it later. Thanks.
Nov 24, 2014 12:32 PM

Jul 2012
surfboard_ said:
mayukachan said:

There is a pretty low rating on MAL, I'll take a look on it later. Thanks.

Well, I only mentioned it because it's the only anime (that I know of) that presents chamber music (string quartets, brass quintets, all the general types) frequently.

Nodame Cantabile has it too (it was a trio iirc) but it's more focused on orchestral music.
Nov 24, 2014 1:32 PM
Nov 2013
surfboard_ said:
PrinceTY said:

You should. Its smaller and more intimate with compared with orchestral works. Formats like String Quartets are a way to show how good a composer actually is (if we're speaking about knowledge). If you find yourself some time just check famous SQs like Beethoven's latest works, Schubert's SQ No. 13, Mozart's Haydn set. If you have something against Vienese Classical, try Bartók, Villa-Lobos instead. Its as complete as you can imagine it is. Similarly, there are String Quintets.

Kolnikov said:

This show is pretty different from Shirobako, but if you have to choose only one to keep on, Shirobako reigns quite superior so far.

I wasn't comparing both, just comparing the execution in their respective fields. And in the beginning Shirobako was quite mediocre imo, now somehow it's growing on me. With Shigatsu is just the opposite. I was actually loving, but then I realized it isn't really about music. Oh well, a shame that I'll probably drop it within the next episodes. I was really expecting a lot from it.
Nov 24, 2014 3:42 PM
Jan 2014
Kolnikov said:

I wasn't comparing both, just comparing the execution in their respective fields. And in the beginning Shirobako was quite mediocre imo, now somehow it's growing on me. With Shigatsu is just the opposite. I was actually loving, but then I realized it isn't really about music. Oh well, a shame that I'll probably drop it within the next episodes. I was really expecting a lot from it.

It isn't really about music? Which part of a piano competition isn't about music? LOL. the dialogue and all have been pretty geared towards music so far which you obviously didn't really get?

But anw yeah Shirobako is getting better and better but this is still leaps and bounds ahead. I have no idea why people are saying this is "cringe-worthy". If you cringed it's practically your problem. It takes two hands to clap. There's nothing wrong with this anime but your perception. At least sometimes.

Same goes to all the flawed critique floating online recently addressing "problems" which are not even "problems."
PrinceTYNov 24, 2014 3:54 PM
Nov 24, 2014 3:49 PM
Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
PrinceTY said:

YOOO Chamber music was my life... ;_; It's actually so much funner to participate in chamber than in other kinds of ensembles (band/symphony/marching) mostly because of the skills you develop. It's also more challenging as you have to play according to how others are playing.

I tried one of the La Corda series before. But I think it wasn't so focused on chamber music. (there was just girl with a violin who had somehow magic powers and able to play music despite not having music background?). I don't thing this is the one you're referring to. But anyway that was kinda reverse-harem. Watchable but not great.

La Corda Blue Sky is a Spring 2014 anime? I think I've watched 1-2 episodes and dropped it. Can't remember why. Didn't captivate me.

Unfortunately I don't play any string instruments because I can imagine how fun it would be to play chamber music. Piano is a lonely instrument, generally.

PrinceTYNov 24, 2014 3:56 PM
Nov 24, 2014 3:52 PM
Jan 2014
surfboard_ said:
PrinceTY said:

Kolnikov said:

Okay, I'll make it a point to listen to some chamber music today.

I love Shirobako too and so I'm not going to complain much when people say it's better than Shigatsu. Because it's still great.(and the last episode, 7 was actually very very good) But it just gets so annoying when obviously inferior stuff like Psycho Pass, Log Horizon etc etc is even being compared to this.
PrinceTYNov 24, 2014 3:58 PM
Nov 24, 2014 4:08 PM

Oct 2014
Kolnikov said:

From the first, I already predict that it's not really about all music... :3

You probably can say that it use music as a medium to create the (melo)drama, not to use (melo)drama as a medium to create the music. You can say that it is AnoHana with music. Although IMO, the (melo)drama in here currently is more... subtle... than that of AnoHana, and the execution and idea is better than AnoHana as well. Maybe I'll stick with this show to the end cos I'm a pleb who easily attracted to sakura petals and pretty musics...

Also seeing from your list, it's understandable if you feel disappointed with Shigatsu. Shirobako is a good show, one of the best things this season can offer. I'm not sticking with it, but its premises are top kek.
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Nov 24, 2014 4:27 PM

Feb 2014
PrinceTY said:
I love Shirobako too and so I'm not going to complain much when people say it's better than Shigatsu. Because it's still great.(and the last episode, 7 was actually very very good) But it just gets so annoying when obviously inferior stuff like Psycho Pass, Log Horizon etc etc is even being compared to this.

The first season of Psycho-Pass is extremely well done and have a lot more substance you could ever expect in any thriller. Its not really a cyberpunk animation, but it even surpasses classics like GitS (I'm talking about the first film, which could be something amazing if wasn't too short) in terms of execution. When it comes to the second season... we know it is there just for the money and nothing else, but the production is even better than the previous one, and they understand a lot about composing TV series. Each episode doesn't give the impression of being something like a filler or empty, the content and pace is enough to fulfill your "needs" for the week.
I particularly think that Shigatsu have a better story, but the direction and final product is really average at best. Some people came here to complain about the over-poetic or "complex" dialogues that middle schoolers could never ever think about, but the truth is that they aren't fitting it properly. Taking these things into consideration, Psycho-Pass 2 isnt all that inferior work, except that it wasn't needed (It should have ended in the first season).
Nov 24, 2014 5:16 PM

Sep 2008
I am speechless. I delayed watching this anime up until tonight since I didn't think it would be to my liking.

Dear God, was I wrong.

To me, a person that's not into music, never watches anime or movies related to music, that prefers stuff like fantasy and sci-fi, this is, without a doubt, anime of the season.
And that includes anime adaptation of my favorite route of my favorite VN, FSN:UBW.

So, yeah, I have nothing more to say. Well, except I feel sorry this anime is not yet over so I can continue watching. I love every damn second of it.
Nov 24, 2014 5:52 PM
Nov 2013
PrinceTY said:
Kolnikov said:

It isn't really about music? Which part of a piano competition isn't about music? LOL. the dialogue and all have been pretty geared towards music so far which you obviously didn't really get?

I honestly think you should stop reading things literally and try to understand within the context. Anyway, I was just saying that they spend more time trying to be psychological, doing slapstick comedy and showing unnecessary conversations than doing actual music (different from Nodame Cantabile for example).

Hurr durr piano competition. LOL at the piano competition; one entire episode and they didn't even show the kids playing. And at the end a FUCKING CLIFFHANGER HAHAHA. This isn't only with this episode btw. The music is being neglected in almost all of them, and they are treating as if it was some kind of superpower.

But well, you can like whatever you want, and I can cringe and laugh for whatever I want to. I was just sharing some thoughts, you really don't need to take my opinion as an universal truth. Of course the problems I point out are made up by my view on the show lol.

FloatingList said:
Kolnikov said:

From the first, I already predict that it's not really about all music... :3

You probably can say that it use music as a medium to create the (melo)drama, not to use (melo)drama as a medium to create the music. You can say that it is AnoHana with music. Although IMO, the (melo)drama in here currently is more... subtle... than that of AnoHana, and the execution and idea is better than AnoHana as well. Maybe I'll stick with this show to the end cos I'm a pleb who easily attracted to sakura petals and pretty musics...

Also seeing from your list, it's understandable if you feel disappointed with Shigatsu. Shirobako is a good show, one of the best things this season can offer. I'm not sticking with it, but its premises are top kek.

I don't really understand your point when you say that is obvious that I would feel disappointed with Shigatsu, but yeah, that's what I've been thinking. They're using the music more for develop the plot as they want. Is like is just there for the background, and this is pretty annoying for me. Although I'm also annoyed by the fact that 70% of the show is kids crying all over the place =D. I guess I'm a little bit naive to expect something more out of it, but I'll hope for improvements.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.