Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 24, 2014 10:00 AM

Jul 2010
Aww nice Sidonia won by Angela awesome !!
Oct 24, 2014 10:03 AM

Jan 2013
Moodie said:
wow everyone is mad that moe is winning

the 90s are dead no one wants to watch shitty manly anime

hyper violent and manly were mainly the 80s

also you probably haven't seen anything from let me guess pre 2006. you know nothing xD
Oct 24, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2007
hpulley said:
Rather than excuses, those are the reasons why they gave out their awards. This is much better than many other awards which simply give out a list. Here, they give their reasons. While you may not agree with them, that's what they are. If you want to post Nanaca's anime awards, with or without reasons, that's up to you. But there is no joke about the Kobe Animation Awards. They are done seriously and if you look back at past winners you will see that they have done a great job, very forward looking.

You mean kind of like how the American Film Institute gets a group of over 1,500 critiques, screenwriters, directer, etc. to rate movies based on each movies' quality and determine the "Best Movies"? There is obviously a discrepancy between Kobe awards and AFI but this is to make a point. The 'best anime' being judge based on various elements such as success (a very easily interchangeable word for popularity) is a joke. The joke is that it's being called "The Best TV series", instead of what it is, "The most Popular TV series" or "The Most Successful TV Series". Because lets face it, K-on was successful but it was not packed with objective quality, yet it still won twice, for its 2nd season and movie. That's me looking back on their past winners as you suggested.
KetuekigamiOct 24, 2014 2:16 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2012
Zeta986 said:
I don`t care about Sidonia because of CGI cancer.

fite me
Oct 24, 2014 2:52 PM

Apr 2009
Ketuekigami said:
The joke is that it's being called "The Best TV series", instead of what it is, "The most Popular TV series" or "The Most Successful TV Series".

This. Besides, like I said from the beginning: their own rationale for the award boils down to being given for successful marketing, rather than any merits on the part of the show.

hpulley said:
Disco did not involve any cost savings to the music or discotheque industries so your examples don't really go together but yes, of course CGI is done for cost saving reasons. That's the way it goes. It's progress. We aren't commissioning oil paintings for our family portraits anymore. Whatever you like or dislike about oil paintings, we've moved on. Well, aside from real art fans or people who like to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on one portrait.

This is true of anime as well. It continues to improve and I think Arpeggio was a real turning point for CGI in the industry. It will continue to be more and more widely used but in my opinion, less prominent in a way. I personally liked Arpeggio as it was 100% CGI so it was consistent. I much prefer that to today's half 'n half where the CGI models stick out obviously compared to the 2D models. Sidonia was good too. Some will continue perhaps to stick with hand drawn and some fans will enjoy it and that's good but it will be difficult to compete in this business if you keep your costs high like that. You need very high sales to compensate, to break even on the costs.

I mentioned it for the simple reason that your odes to the dubious progress made me chuckle remembering that some people said similar things about the disco. After all, didn't this timeless music of tomorrow threaten to take over them obsolete genres?

I believe that chinese toons have a better future than being taken over by cheap computer-generated garbage. After all, there's at least 8 million homeless vietnamese animators looking to work for food, and their efforts are still more eye-pleasing. True, since the technical progress in CGI has recently managed to bring it down from 10 Aku of ugliness on average down to just 5, it managed to carve out more than a marginal niche. But even so, in time people will get tired of this novelty, since the technology is still not even nearly there, and CGI will get driven back behind the barbed wire and warning signs. Remember not to feed it after midnight!
Oct 24, 2014 4:07 PM

Oct 2013
KurtEngel said:
Snow said:

Best Theme Song
"Sidonia" by angela (Sidonia no Kishi OP)

That's awesome.

+1 one of my all time favs
[/quote]
Oct 24, 2014 4:46 PM

Jun 2007
People do realize that the CGI transition has happened in America and it hasn't a) killed off quality hand-drawn stuff or b) brought down the level of product being offered from film critics' perspective, right? Arpeggio is 10 levels below Toy Story, but it succeeded because people enjoyed the adaptation, visuals and all. You can, in general, point to any number of advances throughout the history that didn't result in long-term change, but you can also point to plenty of changes that people angrily denounced throughout history that ended up making the medium better.

This conversation isn't an art-only phenomenon. Even in sports, baseball and american football have century-long histories of being "ruined" by "dumb fads" that stuck because they ultimately changed the game in positive ways.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Oct 26, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
Well done Sidonia!

UCHIKUDAKE---!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014 12:17 PM

Jan 2012
congrats

Oct 27, 2014 2:29 PM

Jun 2009
YESSSSSSSS Love Live won!!!!!!
Oct 28, 2014 11:03 AM

Jul 2014
HURRAY For Love Live
totally deserved
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
34 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
5 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.