Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 27, 2014 1:35 PM

May 2014
Oh yea, there's a crazy guy next episode. Things are heating up!!!
Nov 3, 2015 11:32 AM

Nov 2013
Misaka working with Judgement was great. And I like Kurokos rules:

1. Don't fight.
2. Call Judgement/Antiskill
3. Don't wear shorts. :)

And Kurokos craziness at the end of the episode was really funny.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 15, 2016 6:15 AM

Mar 2015
Shirai is true pervert ._.
Mar 6, 2016 5:34 PM

Mar 2015
Misaka is cute being scared with the bugs.

And she overreacted to a bag... lol.

May 2, 2016 7:03 PM

Jun 2011
Where is that girl's parents?
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 30, 2017 2:19 AM

Dec 2013
Mikasa had some funny moments in this episode but overall another meh episode.
Mar 21, 2017 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
I'd never get enough of blushing Misaka.
It's always lovely to see more different sides of her.
That last part having Kuroko flashing herself and chasing Misaka was hilarious. XD
Seems like the culprit was that rude bastard after all.
Jun 21, 2017 6:22 AM

Mar 2013
Judgment work sure is tough. I wonder why Kuroko decided to join it
Sep 13, 2017 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
I appreciated the idea of this episode more than enjoyed it. What does Judgment do all day? Is it more paperwork or field work? What is the public perception of Judgment? It merely scraped the surface of these issues, but it was a fair attempt. I also found the low stakes fitting. Not the most exciting episode, and it had the potential to be much more interesting, but it's far from the worst so far. Otherwise, now Mikoto has one more reason to have slightly more respect for Kuroko. Of course, Kuroko ruins the moment as always, because status quo is God.

The only thing that bothers me is that the jurisdiction, responsibilties and fundamental laws regarding Judgment are still way too ambiguous. And this mainly concerns me because Mikoto didn't even receive a slap on the wrist for playing Judment (even if she worked hard all day and managed to "save the day"). As we all know, impersonating a police officer in real life is illegal. Judgment is not quite law enforcement (that would be the agency called "Antiskill", I assume), and Mikoto is a minor, but we've seen Kuroko attempt to arrest a few criminals. So it's implied that they are authorized to arrest (or at least restrain) criminals, but they're minors, and they also work as janitors sometimes because this city with over 2 million residents is just one big school.

In short, they're empowered kids (as we haven't seen adults among them yet) operating as a glorified neighborhood watch, but they sometimes have oddly high levels of authority when it's convenient for the plot. It's confusing and kind annoying that this wasn't addressed, even though it's one of the more interesting parts of the setting.

Slightly off topic, but what I find even more interesting than Judgment is Antiskill, and it would be cool if the show focused on their work at some point. Following the point of view of Antiskill officers figuring out how to work around the powers of a high level esper causing trouble could be a lot of fun. Like Stand Alone Complex, but with espers. For example, a brainwashed kid doing the bidding of some evil mastermind, and like, taking hostages or something. Sure, that was super clichéd, but if I can imagine and pitch an episode around Antiskill so easily, there should be some potential for entertainment in the concept. It's very likely though that there's already a movie or something about this and I would be better off watching that than hoping that this show starts showing what I'd want to see.
LeeTailorSep 13, 2017 3:02 PM
Oct 7, 2017 6:01 PM

Jun 2017
"When do her flowers grow out?" Saten has some of the best lines in anime, haha... She says lots of hilarious stuff, might be my favorite character.

Well, to be honest, Misaka, Kuroko, Saten, and Uiharu are all lovable. They kinda feed off of each other's personalities, good combinations here. They did comedy right in this anime, and the characters are interesting, I may have to raise my rating of this show...

LeeTailor said:
---snip--- It's very likely though that there's already a movie or something about this and I would be better off watching that than hoping that this show starts showing what I'd want to see.

Haha, are you sure you're not overthinking the role of judgment a little too much so early on in this series? Well, regardless, I'm going to suggest that you would be making a mistake to skip the rest of this series and just watch a movie. The reason they don't go super in-depth as to the role of judgment and anti-skill in this is because that isn't what the series is about at it's core, it's about the Railgun. There IS a coherent plot developing, you just don't see it clearly at this point, but will in the next episode or two, and this season, as well as the next, get progressively better.

I think it's tragic when I read that people dropped this series. Especially when it appears so many of them sat through the entirety of Index (not that I would know if this applies to you) which is infinitely worse - I find it to be very worthwhile, but I was also not looking for something specific from it.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to see? What pre-conceived notions of what it would be did you have prior to watching and where did they come from? a fan? Odds are skipping straight to the movie isn't going to show you whatever it is you thought this would be, unless that simply means "the plot" - in which case it won't be the same plot. This does have a plot, if that's all you're wondering.

Well, I just wanted to urge you to watch the rest. I hate watching lost souls ;) It's sad.
Alpha-MethylOct 7, 2017 6:16 PM
Oct 8, 2017 8:18 AM

Jun 2013

I don't think I'm overthinking anything, or if I am, that's not necessarily a bad thing (as long as it's fun). The setting of the Raildex franchise is one of its few worthwhile aspects to me, so of course I'd want to learn more about it.

After completing it a few weeks ago, I still ended up preferring Railgun 1 over Index 1. The only thing I liked about Index 1 was the Sisters arc anyways; the main reason I tried Railgun was because I wanted to see more of Mikoto. I could go on about what I liked or didn't like about Railgun, but if you visit the rest of the episode discussions, you'll be able to see my ramblings anyways.

I think dropping shows one doesn't enjoy is the only way it makes sense to watch anime, or any kind of long form media. I only have one life, why waste it on entertainment or art I don't enjoy?
LeeTailorOct 8, 2017 8:22 AM
Oct 10, 2017 3:53 PM

Jun 2017
LeeTailor said:

I don't think I'm overthinking anything, or if I am, that's not necessarily a bad thing (as long as it's fun). The setting of the Raildex franchise is one of its few worthwhile aspects to me, so of course I'd want to learn more about it.

Oh, I wasn't implying I thought it was a bad thing, more that it would take a spinoff dedicated to, to establish an in-depth hierarchy of those organizations and that this anime is an unlikely place for that. I find it interesting too... in general, I find the whole of Academy City much more interesting than the "school themed" worlds of most other anime I've watched. I'd appreciate ANY additional content they release to flesh the world of this out. I think the theme is very overused and stale by now, but sometimes an anime can do it right. Academy City is tangible enough for me to be interested in, unlike many others. There's a massive amount of potential here, and most of it is untapped. (at least, as far as I can tell, being more or less anime-only)

LeeTailor said:

I think dropping shows one doesn't enjoy is the only way it makes sense to watch anime, or any kind of long form media. I only have one life, why waste it on entertainment or art I don't enjoy?

I agree with this - usually - but I guess it depends on which we're talking about and why. I've just noticed a plague of people on the internet (not just these forums) that appear to be Index fans, but for some reason drop Railgun. It never struck me as that bad even in the slowest of episodes, so it surprises me to see people turn on it, but not it's sister show - though I was told recently that the novels are far better than the anime - in which case I understand, because the Index anime was a disaster imo. Index was almost bad enough for me to drop... but it takes a lot for me to permanently drop a series, evidently.

As far as Railgun S - it's a bit more intense than the first season, and they revisit some things in greater depth - showing what Misaka was up to in-between her appearances in Index, which I thought was a good touch. I'll leave out any actual info in the event that you do watch it, of course. I found it to be worthwhile, *easily* my favorite of the 4 "a certain" anime seasons at this point.

Well, I'm still not sure about the final episode, I feel like many, it was rushed or hashed in ... but still, it was entertaining, if a little too fast.

I'm hoping for more in this vein ... I see that Index is getting a S3 ...somehow... so there's hope yet on this.
Alpha-MethylOct 10, 2017 4:05 PM
Nov 19, 2017 10:19 AM

Sep 2017
This was a fun episode with some cute moments, and a little character development for Misaka, so nothing too special but pretty decent overall

Also it's nice that Saten continues to show she's no level 0 when it comes to playful humour. Always enjoy the Uiharu/Saten dynamic
Dec 6, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2013
So the guy who gets bullied is the bomberman, who would have guessed. An okay episode overall, was pretty generic imo.
Dec 16, 2017 6:27 PM

Aug 2013
Kuroko always makes me laugh and the ending was hilarious.

Feb 6, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2012
Leo_10 said:
Kuroko always makes me laugh and the ending was hilarious.

she sure have perverted Yuri goggles on always mistakes Misaka's words & actions & yuri interest in her lol
Feb 20, 2018 6:22 PM

Feb 2012
Such a waste of Parfait 😭😭

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 13, 2018 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
Graviton explosions, those powers are pretty cool.

Misaka thought that being part of Judgement would be kicking ass all the time, but it's definitely quite more than just that, she definitely appreciates Uiharu and Kuroko more now.
Nov 20, 2018 11:31 PM

Dec 2014
well that was something..that I have to say...but this still seems a bit of light humor hmmm
Jan 3, 2019 4:35 AM

Aug 2017
Misaka working with Judgment for one day was fun to watch.

It was a bit weird that the bomb was forgotten for most of the episode but the post-credits scene was interesting. It seems that glasses guy is suspicious.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 2, 2019 7:02 AM
Jan 2018
LeeTailor said:

After completing it a few weeks ago, I still ended up preferring Railgun 1 over Index 1. The only thing I liked about Index 1 was the Sisters arc anyways; the main reason I tried Railgun was because I wanted to see more of Mikoto. I could go on about what I liked or didn't like about Railgun, but if you visit the rest of the episode discussions, you'll be able to see my ramblings anyways.

Most of railgun s1 was pretty much filler
Episode 1,2,4,5 has parts of the manga but disjointed and some parts brought forward with a few diffrences such as the flower girl she wasn't a big fan of misaka and have meet before hand and misaka didn't meet the doctor till after the bomb guy Epiosde 3 was filler and the actual plot didn't start till like epiosde 6 to 12 (even though it had few fillers in them )think then the 2nd half was complete filler

Most of the slice of life scenes aren't in the manga and theres not much fanservice either not as much as the anime

It went from the part where the robbery in epiosde 1 then straight to the part with misaka working with judgement then the encounter with Toma then the bomb part then the level upper stuff
Mattinator95Jul 2, 2019 7:40 AM
Jan 13, 2020 12:21 PM

Sep 2018
Little exciting episode, except for the few seconds following the ending, in which the narration revives in a dramatic and interesting way. Storytelling that still manages to convey an underlying message.
Apr 13, 2020 2:58 AM

Aug 2018
Misaka, this is not children game.. You shouldn't really say that you are indeed from Judgement.. Oh man.. I mean.. What if they have some secret hand gestures to talk during operation for example, and you don't know such thing?.. It'd make trouble.. Oh well, let's see..
Well, this anime is truly more focused on the work and cases of Judgement really.. I have nothing against this, though.. I guess Index first season (which I watched) was more about Index only in the beginning.. And then more about other characters.. So even if show from Toaru series is called by someone's name, it's not necessary focused primarily on him.. Understood.. Even if this episode in particular had Misaka more involved into Judgement, and more focus on her as well..
May 25, 2020 2:49 AM

May 2016
Hmm so now she knows her work is not that easy as she thought.
That guy who got bullied could have had a better role with different mindset.
Oct 26, 2020 10:09 AM

Dec 2016
these episodes looks like fillers to me, idk... i hope the story gets better, i'm really enjoying until now, but it's starting to get boring with these "small arcs". maybe next episode it gets better, let's see why the hell that guy is exploding things/places.
May 18, 2022 5:29 AM
Oct 2019
Misaka day in life as Judgment...
given Misaka nice perspective.

ohh shit the after credit scene, things got real real.
Sep 3, 2023 4:15 PM

Jun 2021
Nice episode, but besides setting up plot for future episodes, it didn't do anything particularly interesting
Nov 29, 2023 4:44 AM

Nov 2023
Damn, didn't know the amount of varieties in scientific supernatural powers had.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

UnknownFact - Jan 2, 2010

169 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

throwaway513846 - Dec 25, 2009

224 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 23, 10:13 PM

» Do you like Kuroko’s horniness, or do you think it’s annoying?

SwagsOnB - Oct 2, 2023

31 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Do you like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?

SpinStudios - Oct 25, 2021

18 by waalex11 »»
Mar 13, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

164 by TheAncientOne »»
Feb 25, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.