Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 1, 2021 11:28 AM

Dec 2015
With the news that all the alternative movies coming to Prime Video on August 13th, I've decided to give one more chance to the OG Evangelion. My current opinion is that story started really well, but it started to throw so many mysteries and subplots to the point of being unable of creating a well rounded ending, which is why the author decided to make it artsy. Seeing some explanation videos only made me more sure of it. But I still have hope a 2nd time watching might change that.

As for episode 1, it was extremely solid. My highlight is definitely going to be Misato and Shinji interactions. Since they're completely opposite characters, they iteracting always bring some entertainment to screen. In fact, Evangelion characters are great overall. I actually wish more anime today made characters like Eva or Cowboy Bepop.
Aug 6, 2021 5:55 PM

Jan 2021
When Shinji was holding a picture of Misato telling him to wait for her to get him I was like damn but then later in the episode when everything was getting intense she asks Shinji just why did you come here and it was because of her my boi Shinji got clickbaited

Oct 30, 2021 6:05 AM

Aug 2020
Well, after watching anime for more than two years and keeping this show on hold, I'm finally watching it.

First decent episode (it's pretty much what I expected). I know it's not a straightforward show, so I came prepared with an episode-by-episode analysis read along.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 22, 2021 9:19 AM
Nov 2020
The music composer for the show (Shiro Sagisu) has some of the best jazz funk and string work I've ever heard. Just AMAZING!
Dec 13, 2021 10:28 AM

May 2019
So, I normally stay away from mecha, but I'll give this a shot. (I watched it as a kid and don't remember much).

I like Misato a lot, she's just worrying about her car and outfit. lol

Great world/story building thus far. Awesome how the action starts right up. The art is great for the 90s, actually, it's great in general. The humor is well placed.

Something happened to Rei, it's why we saw her in the beginning standing there.

Poor Shinji. I wonder what a boy and his cool new robot will do! lol

Dec 31, 2021 7:51 PM

Jul 2021
It was an average episode, neither good nor bad.
I thought it was too rushed for a first episode.
asdasdsadad
Jan 18, 2022 9:18 PM

Jan 2021
A subpar start. I am not really fond of mechas so I hope other facets of this show will pique my interest enough to continue.
Jan 23, 2022 3:42 AM

Feb 2021
Well, finally started NGE ya'll.

The first episode seemed a bit fast-paced. But it's pretty neat and simple until now.

I love the art style. The character designs, mecha, angels, etc look so clean and detailed.

The ladies in this series sure are hot. Misato though...

It's kinda weird how well organized they are. I hope they portray the world's current state and other things necessary in world-building.

Wth was Shinji's dad thinking? Brought his son back after 3 yrs and then made him go on a literal death mission without any prior experience or information. He is my least favourite character in this episode.

The op and the ed were pretty cool

Overall it was a pretty good episode.

Jan 26, 2022 6:38 AM

Aug 2020
Not really into mecha anime but this one seems great so far! The OP is definitely one of my favourites. And Megumi Ogata's voice acting is amazing as usual.
Feb 25, 2022 6:13 PM

Jan 2022
finally got round to starting this anime, and its a good first episode! I really love the art style and opening atm. Already a fan of Misato too, but also absolutely hate Shinji's father.

Also, how old is Shinji supposed to be? Before starting this I just assumed he, rei and asuka were all around the 16-17 range, however he looks alot younger than I thought in this episode and in that flashback (which I'm assuming is 3 years before the current events) he looks to be around 7-10

So like, is he supposed to be around 16 and either that flashback is earlier than 3 years ago or they have a strange way of drawing 13 year olds, or is he supposed be like twelve??
Mar 24, 2022 11:21 PM

Dec 2021
feels so good to rewatch and look back at all the details i missed out on. this time around, i'll pay more attention to the directing since thats got a lot of praise and because i never took it into consideration then. also nice that i find the pacing a LOT better on rewatch compared to before.
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Mar 26, 2022 3:49 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

I am very excited and incredibly nostalgic to be seeing this series again. I like that moment where Unit-01 covers Shinji with its hand, which was left out of the rebuild movies.
Fortress_MaximusMar 27, 2022 7:01 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 12, 2022 10:35 PM

Oct 2020
Everyone always says Shinji is so annoying, but like he seems normal to me?
I know this is only the first episode, but he had a pretty normal reaction to everything. His estranged father suddenly calls on him but it's only to pilot some giant death robot and he's just supposed to do it? He even ends up doing it after seeing Rei's condition.
So far he seems pretty alright.
Jun 26, 2022 8:54 AM

Dec 2007
wait, in 2015 they already made the first gundam? lol

interesting first episode. dunno much about shinji, but the whole presentation was quite nice.

loved the OST. the art is little old, but i'm watching LOGTH so who am i to complain? lol

the opening have it's addicting ring.
Aug 5, 2022 1:41 AM

Jul 2020
Finally starting this anime, hope it turns out as good as everyone claims it is. The first episode wasn't that impressive tbh.. Feels kinda rushed and too little introduction
Aug 14, 2022 5:42 AM
Oct 2021
preety great introduction, not to fast or slow
Aug 31, 2022 6:07 PM
Aug 2022
Great opening to the Anime, First when I heard of this I honestly didn't like gundam animes but this one seems different
Sep 10, 2022 12:21 AM
Sep 2020
Okay this ep was pretty good, but does anyone else think it was insensitive for them to expect shinji to just agree to piloting a huge robot he's never seen before for a father that abandoned him?? The only reason he said yes was because he was sick of feeling like he was never wanted.

Aside from that, I really like the visuals and overall vibe so far. I like how we already get to see some action already. I'm excited to meet all the other characters I've seen before being introduced ٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و

(edit: wow I'm surprised there is almost an equal amount of love/likes for this ep. guess I'm not the only one that disliked some parts.)
Sep 11, 2022 4:53 AM
Sep 2021
i love it, best art style
Sep 11, 2022 10:32 PM
Aug 2022
a decent episode to start off with. i wonder what shinji's dad is planning. that smirk he did near the end gave me chills. i guess i'm about to see soon enough.
Sep 12, 2022 10:49 AM

Jul 2017
nice first episode, love the op song and the ending song
Oct 19, 2022 1:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Re-watching because I actually dropped this about a year ago or so, close to the end actually, just past episode 20 somewhere as I just lost interest and didn't even bother finishing it. Picking it up again to give it a second chance, and because I want to see what the highly-acclaimed End of Evangelion is all about. I'm uncertain of whether or not it will be better the second time around, but one thing I am certain about is that Ms. Misato is freaking FINE ASF

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 19, 2022 4:53 PM
Aug 2021
I think this episode was okay most first episodes are just explaining things and are harder to watch than any of the other episodes but overall it was really good.
Dec 12, 2022 11:47 AM
Jun 2014
Episode 1 was... a bit underwhelming? Rather, I can already tell from this that it's one of those anime that's going to take a little bit to pick up. I'm not a fan of giant-robot anime, so the main points of interest for me were the "angel", and this injured girl they brought in. I'm wondering, what has she been through? What terrible things do they put her through? There's a bit of a dark feeling coming from the scene where she's introduced...

Otherwise though, nothing noteworthy so far. A bit slow to start, I think.
Dec 14, 2022 7:55 AM
May 2021
Fucking awesome. Off to a great start.
Dec 15, 2022 10:38 PM

Jan 2022
Alright, I know my boy Shinji gets a lot of crap for this but let's be real, who here would actually just straight up, no questions asked, get in the robot? The episode did a good job to show how powerful the angels are are, and by extension how defenseless humanity is against them. I would probably be at least a lil bit nervous being volunteered to fight it.

Also always wondered how the decision at NERV was made to paint Unit 01 purple and neon green. Like did Gendo just think it was a cool color scheme so they went with that? Was there some kind of executive committee that had an official meeting to decide? Maybe they had the employees submit suggestions and then vote? Idk but it keeps me up at night.
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 17, 2022 7:03 PM

Dec 2022
I had always seen that people liked this series and I was always attracted to the aesthetics and especially the mecha-sort-of robots... I had no idea it was this great!

From the beginning the story and characters are perfect, there's enough told so that you don't feel lost yet they still give you time to create your own thoughts and predictions.
it's very enjoyable and now that I've started it I know I've started something truly amazing.

Can't wait to finish it and write a proper review!
                                                                                                                                           ~A-Zone~                       Enjoy everything!

Dec 20, 2022 5:38 AM
Dec 2022
I love the mystery and real lack of exposition, as I feel it will come later in a big way.
Dec 22, 2022 2:11 PM
Dec 2022
j'ai aimé cette épisode, mais comme je préfère les manga au anime j'ai eu du mal a me mettre a fond dans l'anime
Dec 24, 2022 1:27 PM

Mar 2022
Neon Genesis Evangelion, for a long time I have been aware of this anime and it's hard not to be aware of it when you have Shinji, Rei and Asuka pop up in conversation from time to time as well as the opening and theme is so iconic. I had heard that theme so many times that I was like: "OK I have heard this theme so many times that I need to watch the show." And indeed I did only last night. The first thing I notice that for an anime made in 1995, the visuals are incredible and I'm not super duper into mecha animes but if the visuals for this show are this good, then colour me impressed.I feel the episode was pretty good, nothing awe-inspiring but enough to keep me interested. As for if Shinji is annoying in general? Honestly he didn't annoy me if at all cuz I feel like him being anxious about fighting an alien that bear in mind,can't be blown up by nukes,the best pilot that the secret organization has to pilot the giant robot to combat the beast is not in any good shape to do it, might be a reasonable reaction to being told he has to do it. So for now this was very good.
Dec 29, 2022 7:32 AM

Jul 2021
tf is wrong with me? why did i get teary-eye when the robot protected shinji?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 10, 2023 11:58 AM
Mar 2021
REWATCH GOAT......

Jan 13, 2023 11:18 AM

Nov 2020
The beginning of what they call a masterpiece.
Jan 14, 2023 9:46 PM

Aug 2021
Great op and ed
hope shinji would get along with his father
Jan 16, 2023 5:49 PM
Jan 2023
Great opening only wished shinji got in the damn robot.
Jan 18, 2023 11:11 PM

Mar 2016
Most of what I knew about this show has been "Get in the f**king robot Shinji!" :P Finally getting round to actually watching this older series.
Jan 19, 2023 12:47 PM
Jan 2023
Animation is cool but I'm not the biggest fan of oversexualizing
Jan 22, 2023 7:25 PM
Jan 2021
yyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy yyyyyy
Feb 11, 2023 5:29 PM

Jul 2022
I'm back after 6-7 years, but since I don't remember anything, it's almost as if it was the 1st time I'll see it. xd
Mar 3, 2023 11:27 AM
Mar 2023
ummmm it was alrigjt...
Apr 17, 2023 8:10 AM
Apr 2023
inanılmaz hikaye ama biraz karışık
Apr 22, 2023 11:16 AM
Aug 2020
One of the Best 1st Episode for an Anime
May 17, 2023 11:24 PM
May 2022
i never understood why people hate on shinji (especially in this episode). think about it logically (using a slightly more realistic scenario): your asshole dad who abandoned you is asking to basically pilot a fighter jet so you can stop an enemy country's plane that's armed with a nuke. keep in mind, you have no flight or war experience. who the hell would be like "yeah, sure dad 😃"??? doesn't help that all the adults in his life are manipulative as shit. shinji is acting like a normal human! anime protagonists really broke people's brains i swear
May 24, 2023 7:39 PM
Apr 2020
While I have no idea what's happening this was a pretty exciting start until they ruined the tension by saying Shinji defeats the Angel in the preview lol, I mean I guess there's no series if that doesn't happen but still

also can't believe I took so long to watch this
Jun 9, 2023 9:08 PM
Jun 2023
kinda started slow but i kept at it
Jul 6, 2023 4:33 PM
Sep 2019
Good exposition, exited for what's to come
Jul 10, 2023 4:49 PM
Apr 2022
shinji is a crybaby
Jul 15, 2023 5:47 AM
Jul 2023
3.25/5 - Good introduction to this story.
Jul 31, 2023 9:27 AM

Oct 2018
Struggled to pay attention or really be that interested
~Katy Scene
Aug 1, 2023 2:56 AM
May 2021
i have a feeling that i might like this anime also banger op and didnt know fly me to the moon was the ending
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.