Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2014 2:58 PM

Jul 2007
http://www.twitch.tv/oculus

Going on right now.

Quite interesting ideas.

They talk about the prototype they are working on now that is close to the consumer version theyw ill release in 2015.

They also talk about overall VR and AR and the ideas of how the nextgen VR they will create will most likely connect directly into the user's brain(think:SAO) and the difficulties in that.

If anyone wants to hear Palmer Luckey talk, as well as M.Carmack, the man responsible for progress of majority of modern gaming and programming, share their thoughts, go watch.
Sep 20, 2014 3:02 PM

May 2014
vr lol

not anywhere close
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 20, 2014 4:21 PM

Jun 2014
We know so little about the brain. Sure, they may be able to interpret some waves, but we're not close to forming SAO's version of VR. We can make pseudo-VRs though.

Sep 20, 2014 6:00 PM

Oct 2013
VR, one step at a time. The tech we have today is beyond the imagination of those who lived a decade ago. Who knows how far VR will go given a decade's time?
Sep 20, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 2012
Sep 20, 2014 10:19 PM

Apr 2014
Xari said:
We know so little about the brain. Sure, they may be able to interpret some waves, but we're not close to forming SAO's version of VR. We can make pseudo-VRs though.

I just don't know how they'll overcome the obstacle of actually intercepting and manipulating brain waves without actually being connected to the brain in some physical manner.
Sep 20, 2014 11:18 PM

Jun 2014
Cause- said:
Xari said:

I just don't know how they'll overcome the obstacle of actually intercepting and manipulating brain waves without actually being connected to the brain in some physical manner.

Who knows? All I know is our knowledge of the brain is pitiful, and though we are making some progress we're far, far away from the VR depicted in SAO. Unless we get a breakthrough I doubt it'll be within our generation.

Sep 21, 2014 2:36 AM

Jul 2007
Cause- said:
Xari said:

They touched upon it a bit on that obviously you can't just add an usb plug or something to your head. They don't even know whether the full technology that stimulates the brain directly could be implemented within the lifetime.

In their thoughts, the first thing one needs to do is to perfect the "fake" VR(as in the one that FOOLS your brain instead of sending impulses directly into it) to be near perfect and garner enough interest world-wide.

Since they can't yet stimulate brain directly, the only way right now is to use the "existing usb sticks" of human body - sight, smell, sound, touch

Even the current generation of VR interacts with the brain by simulation of depth of field via sensory visual information brain receives through the eyes. When using stuff like Oculus you already can feel basic sensory cues like vertigo when looking down from heights within the game.

The next thing for them is perfecting three dimensional audio systems, so the audio-sensory information can be used to fool the brain(that's basically what they are working on right now and their newest prototype has audio systems made for that)

The next steps will be simulating smells(so you can pick up a flower in game and smell it) and using some sort of haptic feedback interface to simulate touch and solidity of the objects.

Currently we are around ~70% into perecting the illusion of visual sensory information and ~30% at perfecting the illusion of audio sensory information:
http://gizmodo.com/i-tried-the-new-oculus-rift-and-it-blew-me-away-all-ov-1637201830

The article very well showcases how far away the tech has come.

I am very certain that within a year or so we will have nigh perfect visual sensory VR and within five years
touch smell and sound will be slowly perfected too.
Sep 21, 2014 1:58 PM

Jun 2008
I think virtual reality has a much better chance at working than it did in the 90's because of the advancement in technology, however I still prefer a good ol' fashion standard controller and big screen TV more than anything else. If this does take off and I do end up buying one, it will just be on a "special occasion" sorta thing.

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

150 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
2 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

531 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
2 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3536 by Skyla »»
2 hours ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

21 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago

» Contrary to popular belief, Windows 8.1 is still being supported RIGHT NOW

DesuMaiden - Apr 29

7 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.