Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 5, 2017 7:23 PM

May 2014
Picture this- all One Piece episodes looking this good.

I can dream! XD

Anyway, I enjoyed this special a lot more than I anticipated. I feel like we get into Luffy's mind a bit more regarding his feelings about not being able to save Ace, as well as his own insecurities. Oh, and thanks for the freshly animated scene of Ace's death which I could've gone without tbh

More Hancock is always a good thing, especially when she's kicking everyone's asses- her fight against Nightin was hands down the best in the whole special. I bet all those hardcore Luffy x Hancock shippers were having a ball too...I was kind of shipping them by the end too!!

World's backstory was interesting too and I like the parallels between World/Byojack and Luffy/Ace/his crew. Nice touch.
The Perona and Mihawk cameos were appreciated too since neither of them show up enough in canon.

Only complaint is that I wanted more details about the other Straw Hats :/

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2017 2:54 AM
Jul 2017
People in this thread can't seem to understand the difference between "Art" and "Animation" smh. I will admit the Art was a little jarring at first but it grew on me while watching. It matched the gorgeous animation perfectly. I don't even know if some of these people watched the same special as I did. People need to take their nostalgia glasses off, I've seen worse specials like the Water 7 retelling. In any case, great special! Everything I loved in One Piece in this special and that Luffy vs Byrrndi World was phenominal. 10/10
May 14, 2018 10:58 AM

Mar 2017
Red Hawk!!!

People being happy because of Luffy x Hancock moments while I am so happy seeing Perona and Mihawk together xDDD

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

May 12, 2020 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
This art style is a thousand times better. If only all of One Piece looked like this. Even if the animation can’t be fluid due to the weekly episode basis, the proportions and lines still look much nicer here. Hancock’s character design too… it’s top-tier. As are the other female characters. Usually their eyes are far a part and their foreheads are huge, but they look so normal here. Overall, 50% of the enjoyment I derived from this Special was from the animation and design alone… it’s so rare you get to see the characters of One Piece in an atmosphere like this.

Also, this art direction is very unique from any of the other One Piece movies and OVA’s. This must be a one time thing, with some special guest art director whose only ever worked with One Piece for this specific ‘episode’. That’s my guess anyways. Because, again, Hancock doesn’t look like this in any other appearance within the franchise. The style almost reminds me of Movie 6 (Baron whatshisface).

Also also, I don’t think I’ll ever not feel like crying after watching Ace’s death. And I don’t know why. It’s not often you see Luffy genuinely sad about something.

Also also also, I think the movie could've done without World's three henchmen. They were all pretty stupid and were defeated in horrible fashions. The childishness and pointlessness of it all is the main reason I deducted points.

P.S. I don't care if this was a special that aired on television... why is it not lumped in with the series of One Piece MOVIES, regardless???
May 12, 2020 11:39 PM
Jul 2018
Oh geez, I didn't know there was a little post-credit scene. I wouldn't have seen it if people weren't talking about it in this forum. I will admit, it is kind of a spoiler (of the Dressrosa arc) lol.
Dec 21, 2020 7:54 AM

Aug 2011
There are a lot of good ideas to expand the source material in this special: the usage of Mihawk and Buggy, and the villain as a sort of mirror-Luffy are all good stuff. Not to mention seeing the inception of the Red Hawk and Sabo's cameo.
This is the kind of content I wish the anime used as filler episodes.
Jan 2, 2021 5:29 PM

Oct 2009
It wasn't very provident on World's part to not finish off Luffy for good while he had a chance (twice even)

Oct 19, 2021 11:07 AM

Sep 2015
The re-cap of the Marineford war was intense as ever, still couldn't believe I am able to re-live all of that experience.

Hancock has such determination for Luffy xD Compeling so far to give Luffy the best treatment of everything.

Really happy that Luffy finished all the food that was prepared for him.

The big brother looks does same 30 years ago, World has such unfaithful crewmates

"She's looking down on me so much that she's actually looking up!!" Funniest dialogue so far ! Nightin is hilarious!

The design of the maze looks so calm and chilling to be in, I would love to rest there

Wow, World can use arament haki thoughout his whole body! And he has a very interesting devil fruit power

Jeez its crazy how despite Luffy got pierced by 3 spikes, he still fights on

Now I feel upset for Byojack and World.... But in the end, fighting against World, has helped Luffy with his Haki training ahead.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Apr 18, 2022 4:48 AM
Jul 2018
this special was pretty good I'll give it a score of 8.5
Hancock was great as always luffy's gum gum no red hawk was awesome world was a pretty good villain
removed-userApr 18, 2022 4:55 AM
Jun 22, 2022 1:36 PM

Nov 2010
This ep. is such a treat! I can't get enough of Boa and her being with Luffy is so amusing, especially when she got jealous over Perona. lol

World is a badass villain. I kinda feel bad for him. The World Gov. needs to be destroyed after all.

Man, I really wish this was canon. This is my favorite filler in One Piece so far. I really wanted to give it a 9.

8/10
Jun 26, 2023 3:37 PM

Aug 2019
Well that was an interesting special 

I love Luffy’s outfit!! And of course, I love seeing Boa as much as possible!! 
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Gomu Gomu no Red Hawk?

sheidesu - Sep 1, 2014

16 by 12manga »»
Oct 2, 2016 1:43 AM

» Ending song

chris5462 - Aug 31, 2014

5 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 19, 2015 12:08 PM

» Promo

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2014

10 by DarkAngelz »»
Aug 29, 2014 10:44 PM

» 3 New TV Spots Streamed

Humstolfoza - Aug 26, 2014

0 by Humstolfoza »»
Aug 26, 2014 7:06 AM

» Trailer #3

ainky - Aug 17, 2014

7 by xfero »»
Aug 20, 2014 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.