Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2014 9:11 PM

May 2014
Because sometimes the Nippophilia gets too strong here and I need to talk about some other country. Any.

I'm having trouble picking definite favourites. I mean there's a whole whack of Disney I could list like Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Frozen more recently. Toy Story is a given.

Lately I've found some of my favourite animation to be on the internet - just random Youtube animators. The animated segments of Sanity Not Included, virtually anything by Harry Partridge (his stuff looks better than half the professionally made Anime made by whole teams), or Hank & Jed's Battlefield Friends and Doraleous & Associates (they can't animate very well but they are better writers than half the shit I see on this site at least - they put most comedy anime to shame).
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
Fantastic Planet! It's great!
Aug 28, 2014 9:14 PM

Mar 2013
Try this on for size.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1fw_ybpFxw&list=PL9FF3C0E181C47DD0

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GHTDO6Xsc&index=2&list=PL9FF3C0E181C47DD0

Everybody should just drop the sub/dub debate and watch more films like this instead.
Aug 28, 2014 9:20 PM

Jul 2014
Extremely hyped for Rick and Morty S2.

Not so much for the animation itself (I just require more of the dark, sick sensibilities of Rick)
Aug 28, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
Archer, Family guy, Boondocks, Drawn Together
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 28, 2014 9:27 PM

Oct 2013
Frozen is the best animated show of all time!
Aug 28, 2014 9:31 PM

May 2014
DerpHole said:
Archer, Family guy, Boondocks, Drawn Together
Damn I forgot how much I loved the Boondocks.

The Obama Episode is hands down my favourite.

"I support Obama because he's going to lower my taxes."
"Actually he's going to raise taxes at your income level."
"Say what?....He's also against corporate bailouts."
"That is also not true."
"Well he's also going to get the troops out of Afghanistan."
"Also wrong."
"THEN WHAT THE FUCK THAT NIGGA GONNA DO???"
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 9:43 PM

Oct 2012
Without doubt Avatar: The Last Airbender.
It's a huge part of my childhood.

And I guess Family Guy is also great. =D
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?
Aug 28, 2014 9:50 PM

May 2013
LiYuxin said:

A:TLA is probably my favourite TV series of any medium. That's saying alot because I've seen some impressive anime and Western TV shows
Aug 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Aug 2013
The DC Direct to DVD animated movies. Batman Year 1 and Justice League Flashpoint Paradox are my favorites.

http://youtu.be/xe0JiobQ98o
http://youtu.be/OPjyRz0YgI8

I also like Avatar (TLA and LOK), Boondocks, Gargoyles etc.
Aug 28, 2014 10:02 PM

Mar 2014
TheFilthyCasual said:
AzuStar said:
this is literally not the forum for it, this should go in the casual discussion forum.
I put it here because I reject the idea of animation from Japan having any justification for being considered a different medium from animation from other countries. "Anime" is just the Japanese colloquialism for "animation" so technically this is the "animation" section, if you translate it.

...except this isn't japan/a japanese site, so the japanese meaning for the word "anime" wouldn't overtake the english meaning

in american/english speech, anime has a completely different meaning, being japanese animation.

it's like how the meaning of words differ from America to Britain.

and since this is an english site, the definition for anime in AMERICA would apply.
Aug 28, 2014 10:21 PM

Jan 2012
As for contribution, I'd have to go with either ... and I know I'm going to be stoned for these but...

-Adventure Time
-RWBY
-The Regular Show
-The Boondocks

I guess South Park and Futurama as well.
TyrelAug 28, 2014 11:43 PM
Aug 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2012

Well I mean.. I get that but why so uptight? Okay for example, say you have a thread of someone going around saying everyone sucks and that we all just need to go off in a corner and commit suicide, then you have a fun and slightly interesting thread like this come along. Major differences here.

That case might be a tad extreme but I don't see this thread hurting "the flow" of this particular forum section, and if it's moved then hey! Cool, the mods did what they were supposed to do, but you trying to act like a wannabe mod is going to get you nowhere. It's like, you saw this thread and suddenly you were raging and angry! I don't get your deal, what kind of day are YOU having? Must be pretty awful, if you're going off on a thread that isn't a farcry from the section that it's posted in then jeez you must have a really low tolerance threshold.

I've seen countless threads that should have been moved or closed yet the mods don't do anything to them, and what's worse is that THOSE are the kinds of threads that they need to be looking out for the most, and yet they still go by undetected. Yet you're coming in here to complain about this one while there are many other much worse offenders? Please.
Aug 28, 2014 10:36 PM

May 2014
I'm gonna advertize this because it honestly deserves to be watched more. Writing is sharp, hilarious, and goddamn if this isn't the first show I've ever seen that uses GOOD puns.

@AzuStar

We do not typically divide up our films, games or tv shows by where they come from, but rather by medium or genre, ie, science fiction films, first person shooter games, live action tv, comedy tv, etc. Thus, doing so for the animation medium is out of the ordinary and rather pointless.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2011
TheFilthyCasual said:
I'm gonna advertize this because it honestly deserves to be watched more. Writing is sharp, hilarious, and goddamn if this isn't the first show I've ever seen that uses GOOD puns.

@AzuStar

We do not typically divide up our films, games or tv shows by where they come from, but rather by medium or genre, ie, science fiction films, first person shooter games, live action tv, comedy tv, etc. Thus, doing so for the animation medium is out of the ordinary and rather pointless.

And yet I have a world movies channel on my TV to keep foreign films away from Western stuff, If I were to walk in to any number of stores here that sell movies or music, there would be clearly labelled sections separating foreign music and films from Western released stuff. Those segregations do exist, you are simply choosing to ignore them.
TyrelAug 28, 2014 11:44 PM
Aug 28, 2014 10:47 PM

May 2014
mitch3315 said:

And yet I have a world movies channel on my TV to keep foreign films away from Western stuff, If I were to walk in to any number of stores here that sell movies or music, there would be clearly labelled sections separating foreign music and films from Western released stuff. Those segregations do exist, you are simply choosing to ignore them.
Dividing up your films like that is a bad idea. If i didn't knwo it existed, how would I ever find Das Boot if it was not under the WW2 or War movies section, but crammed in with every other foreign film from every other possible genre? Dividing by place of origin is just a bad way of categorizing media. So yes, I do ignore it.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 10:57 PM

Aug 2013
DAVIES17 said:
REGULAR SHOW
Aug 28, 2014 11:14 PM
Jul 2013
any medium not anime sucks lol
Aug 28, 2014 11:20 PM

May 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
any medium not anime sucks lol
If this implies Breaking Bad sucks I might have to attempt to figure out how to murder someone via the internet.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2014 11:30 PM

May 2013
Persepolis maybe? Or any Disney film.
Aug 28, 2014 11:37 PM

Feb 2014
I've always loved animation and still watch a lot of non Japanese animation, so this is going to be quite a long list.

Gargoyles - One of the best Disney series.
Spectacular Spiderman - From the creator of Gargoyles, and IMO best Spiderman series.

Good old Cartoon Network shows that I still watch on the internet from time to time like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory

The stuff from DC animated universe like
Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, Superman TAS, Young Justice, haven't watched all of Batman TAS but liked what I saw on Cartoon Network. And especially the DC direct to DVD movies like Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Wonder Woman, etc.

Phineas and Ferb - Probably one of the few good newer Disney shows, at least the earlier season that I used to watch.
And then there's South Park, Futurama, Adventure Time, and Avatar The Last Airbender.
Aug 28, 2014 11:46 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned
As for what the users said, they are correct. That board is for ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION. As in anime made from Japan. The shows you're trying to talk about are western media, not anime. This thread itself should be locked because it will hardly generate a discussion and turn into a simple listing thread, but we'll see.
Aug 29, 2014 5:50 AM
Apr 2014
Most thing from Jan Svankmajer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdCQjbdz8A

Also The Thief and the Cobbler is my all time favorite movie.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Aug 29, 2014 8:39 AM

May 2014
Tyrel said:
Thread Cleaned
As for what the users said, they are correct. That board is for ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION. As in anime made from Japan. The shows you're trying to talk about are western media, not anime. This thread itself should be locked because it will hardly generate a discussion and turn into a simple listing thread, but we'll see.
Well duh of course it will hardly generate discussion if you put it in this section, which no one goes to.

And we were having a discussion on how to define genres; may not have been what I set out to do but that's what it became.
- Anonymous
Aug 29, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2014
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best Disney movie, and Shrek 2 the best of Dreamworks.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 29, 2014 9:26 AM

Dec 2013
Avatar: The Last Airbender (and Korra, but the original is far better).
Adventure Time
Aug 31, 2014 5:53 AM

Oct 2012
MiniMoose10 said:
LiYuxin said:

A:TLA is probably my favourite TV series of any medium. That's saying alot because I've seen some impressive anime and Western TV shows

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really love it how this world of Avatar is seperated by elements and their personalities. Since I watched Avatar, in my mind I'm a real proud waterbender. xD
Then why are we laughing?

Then why am I dead?

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
4 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
5 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
5 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.