Forum Settings
Forums

What music/entertainment is considered hipster?

New
Aug 20, 2014 7:32 AM

Aug 2013
Is this hipster music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVx-qqNWqo ?

Give examples
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Aug 21, 2014 12:22 PM
May 2013
I don't even know anymore. It seems everything is hipster depending on who you ask. Dunno why people are so obsessed with whether or not something is hipster (not necessarily referring to OP, just the people who actively accuse other people/things of being hipster).
Aug 21, 2014 12:39 PM

Mar 2012
Pink Floyd, according to this Cracked article.
Aug 21, 2014 1:01 PM

Jun 2014
By "Hipster" you mean Indie right.
Heres my example.
Aug 21, 2014 5:43 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I really don't know what is considered hipster either, lol :D
Aug 21, 2014 5:44 PM

Feb 2014
Anything from the beatles or made pre WW2.
Aug 21, 2014 5:55 PM
Dec 2010
Math rock/indie music is usually considered "hipster". There is music that's just plain weird out there though, and while it might not be hipster, I'll link it. Because I want to.

Math/"hipster":

Aug 21, 2014 6:58 PM

Aug 2008
I've never quite gotten it myself, but it seems the majority of the music I listen to is considered to be hipster.

Stalker-tan said:
Math rock/indie music is usually considered "hipster". There is music that's just plain weird out there though, and while it might not be hipster, I'll link it. Because I want to.

Math/"hipster":

For example, I really like Giraffes? Giraffes! and Igorrr. Even now I'm sitting here in my Adebisi Shank shirt (I have a Giraffes? Giraffes!) listening to Japanese indie music. Japanese "hipster music" is great too by the way.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Aug 21, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2012
A song or artist is hipster,
-If it isn't on the radio(popular stations)
- If it hasn't recently been on the radio
-Or if someone out there doesn't like the song

The last argument is used often on topics that are mostly subjective. It's basically, "stop liking stuff I don't like!!!!!"

The term original was for Caucasians that liked jazz(usually bebop) cause it was more popular amongst the African American community in the early years. The word also derived from the word "hip" and a lot of jazz musicians used it to describe new innovations or new concepts of playing in the genre.

Personally all I care about is if it sounds good to me, I it sounds good me. If I don't like it, then I don't like it, or after a while it grows on me.
penguindrum264Aug 21, 2014 10:16 PM
Aug 22, 2014 12:04 AM

Apr 2014
As a rule of thumb that works pretty well, hipsters like anything that avoids genuine emotion. I bet even "The Killing Moon" is considered slightly unhip. I try not to think about these types too much. My health is kind of bad as it is.
Aug 22, 2014 1:25 PM

Jan 2012
Altairius said:
As a rule of thumb that works pretty well, hipsters like anything that avoids genuine emotion. I bet even "The Killing Moon" is considered slightly unhip. I try not to think about these types too much. My health is kind of bad as it is.

How someone connects to a piece emotionally is subjective. Like some people would consider Chopin's music to be full of emotion, while someone thinks it's boring and mechanical. Some people consider Justin Beiber's music to be emotional, while some view it as lacking in emotion and "fake."

Off topic.

Seriously though, why do people care so much about what music other people like? What advantage does that give you in life thinking you're more "cultured" than someone else? Most of the fellow musicians I know from beginners to pros usually don't give a crap if someone likes something they don't, unless they're performing with that person.
Aug 22, 2014 1:29 PM

Apr 2014
Nirvana's Bleach album!

*runs and hides in corner*

Aug 24, 2014 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
I consider something "hipster" when it reeks of self-indulgence and a "i'm better than you because i'm not mainstream" attitude. Like... I wouldn't consider indie bands inherently hipster, but if a particular band's entire appeal is how "different and un-mainstream" they are by including unnecessary self-indulgent bullshit just to show off and their fans are arrogant dicks, then I would consider them hipster. It applies to just about anything, but that's probably the most obvious example.

That being said, you should always give things a fair shot. You should never refuse to check something out purely because someone said it's "hipster". If you're that easily swayed by other people's opinions, don't even bother. Think for yourself.
Aug 24, 2014 12:43 PM

Jan 2014
Macklemore and the other guy.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 26, 2014 11:23 PM

Sep 2013
I always though hipster music meant like unknown bands mainly. Going by that definition I probably have a very "hipster" since alternative/indie is my favorite genre. To give an example, Young the Giant always struck me as a "hipster" band.
Aug 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Apr 2014
penguindrum264 said:
Altairius said:

How someone connects to a piece emotionally is subjective. Like some people would consider Chopin's music to be full of emotion, while someone thinks it's boring and mechanical. Some people consider Justin Beiber's music to be emotional, while some view it as lacking in emotion and "fake."

I agree but I think there are limits. Notice how you say some think Bieber is "emotional" but not "full of emotion" as you used with Chopin. That's because it's probably 100% impossible to derive profound emotion from the Bieb-maestro. "Emotional", sure. He's emoting, sort of.
Aug 28, 2014 12:37 AM
Dec 2013
RedRoseFring said:
Macklemore and the other guy.
Kendrick Lamar.
Aug 28, 2014 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
Mongolian Throat Rapping with metal rifts?
Aug 28, 2014 1:22 AM

Apr 2014
^ No, goofball eclecticism is actually unhip. Mr. Bungle is respected by hipsters I guess, but you can't be them anymore. Right now it's just more electro-crap with a slight neo-soul element running through it all.
Aug 29, 2014 1:27 PM

Mar 2012
PureBlueSF said:
I consider something "hipster" when it reeks of self-indulgence and a "i'm better than you because i'm not mainstream" attitude. Like... I wouldn't consider indie bands inherently hipster, but if a particular band's entire appeal is how "different and un-mainstream" they are by including unnecessary self-indulgent bullshit just to show off and their fans are arrogant dicks, then I would consider them hipster. It applies to just about anything, but that's probably the most obvious example.

That being said, you should always give things a fair shot. You should never refuse to check something out purely because someone said it's "hipster". If you're that easily swayed by other people's opinions, don't even bother. Think for yourself.

^this
Aug 30, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
everything that isn't on the radio smh
Aug 30, 2014 9:29 PM

Jun 2014
PureBlueSF said:

Indeed. I consider fans of Black and Death metal very hipsters and in fact they even said that more melodic/not atonal music is not true art because it lacks the abstract qualities of art and consist of simple popular entertainment.

Agree completely specially regarding subjective things like music.
Aug 31, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2013
Los Tigres del Norte
Aug 31, 2014 2:21 AM

Sep 2012
Definitely this:

(I like it anyway)
Aug 31, 2014 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
Guaporense said:
Indeed. I consider fans of Black and Death metal very hipsters and in fact they even said that more melodic/not atonal music is not true art because it lacks the abstract qualities of art and consist of simple popular entertainment.

Yep, internet metal nerds who refuse to listen to anything but tech death are annoying as hell. I actually really enjoy a bunch of tech death bands like Cerebral Bore, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Beneath The Massacre but I also happen to enjoy a lot of "shitty gay metalcore/deathcore" (as they typically say) like The Devil Wears Prada, Chelsea Grin, Memphis May Fire, I See Stars, and a lot of others. I don't even exclusively listen to metal/metalcore etc. You're just as likely to find me listening to Sunny Day Real Estate or The Story So Far or a multitude of other unrelated bands.

Guaporense said:
Agree completely specially regarding subjective things like music.

I just wish more people thought like this instead of having constant pissing contests over shit no one will ever completely agree on.
Sep 1, 2014 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
Red_Keys said:
Definitely this:

(I like it anyway)

Good song.
Sep 2, 2014 12:49 AM

Jul 2009
Sep 2, 2014 12:50 AM

Mar 2014
Hipsters probably reject 'hipster' music for being too mainstream now. They'll end up coming full circle and being fans of pop music.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2014 12:33 PM

Apr 2013
Neutral Milk Hotel

most hipster band around/best band you've probably never heard of-core
Sep 3, 2014 9:52 PM

Apr 2014
BarryManilow said:
Hipsters probably reject 'hipster' music for being too mainstream now. They'll end up coming full circle and being fans of pop music.

Happened a long time ago. Look up 'poptimism'.
Sep 3, 2014 11:12 PM

Mar 2014
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Los Tigres del Norte

Lmao

If that's the case, then Los Caminates are pretty hipster too.
Sep 5, 2014 1:05 AM

Apr 2014
Hihi7 said:
Neutral Milk Hotel

most hipster band around/best band you've probably never heard of-core

Knowing about NMH was hipster in the late 90's. Only noobs haven't heard of them now. Also, they're not very good.
Sep 5, 2014 1:43 AM
Apr 2013
tbh i haven't met any hipsters who listen to like really weird niche music. what i have met though are people who act like hipsters and listen to 60s-80s rock bands like pink floyd, zeppelin, queen and so forth because today the mainstream is pop/hip-hop/pop-pop so these bands are considered not mainstream.
Sep 7, 2014 12:03 AM
Sep 2014
I would say this is pretty "hipster"

It feels hipster...

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
4 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
5 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
5 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.